Reading Black Boy Together
Read (or have someone read to you) the first chapter of Black Boy, by Richard Wright, which is filled with indelible moments. Record your own versions of the following sections, and use the Literature Guides to write responses to each of these sections of the first chapter. For each section, write your response in a Doc first; record that excerpt of Black Boy in Audacity and export the file as an MP3; then post both the Literature Response and your audio together as a discussion on Youth Voices.
- Read "Fire" - pages 3 - 7 | Write using the guide Tracking the Characters
- Read "There was..." - pages 7 - 9 | Write using the guide Questioning and Speculating
- Read "Cat" - pages 9 - 14 | Write using the guide Character Traits and Relationships
- Read "Hunger/Forced to fight" - pages 14 - 18 | Write using the guide Character Archetypes
- Read "Drunkard" - pages 18 - 22 | Write using the guide Tracking the Plot
- Read "Reading, Math, Race, Religion" - pages 22 - 25 | Write using the guide Character Archetypes
- Read "Orphanage" - pages 25 - 32 | Write using the guide Tracking the Theme
- Read "Father, 25 years later" - pages 32 - 35 | Write using the guide Plot Analysis
Read with the high school students on this VoiceThread. Listen to and read the words at the same time. Then record your own version of each section. (Page number are slightly different.)
Another version by examinfo on YouTube.