Remembering Black Lives

Annotate a story about a lost Black life, and write a poem modeled after "Night, for Henry Dumas" and "41 Bullets Off-Broadway."

Choose a name from our list of 25 Stories on Wikipedia (Step 2), then read and annotate the story and do further research. Next, write a poem to remember that person, using both your imagination and the facts. Use "Night, for Henry Dumas" and "41 Bullets Off-Broadway" as model texts. Post your poem as a discussion on Youth Voices, and comment on other students' "Black Lives Matter" poems. This mission is based on Renée Watson's Happening Yesterday, Happened Tomorrow: teaching the ongoing murders of black men, Rethinking Schools, 2015

Step One of Four

Go to Genius, (and after you log in) annotate these two poems with words, images, and video. Make notes on lines where the poets used facts, and where they used their imaginations. In your annotations, add information that you learn from reading the Wikipedia articles that linked at the bottom of each poem.

Night, for Henry Dumas
by Aracelis Girmay

Read more: Henry Dumas

La noche, por Enrique Dumas
by Aracelis Girmay

Leer más: Enrique Dumas

41 Bullets Off-Broadway
by Willie Perdomo

Read More: Amadou Diallo

41 Balas Off-Broadway
por Willie Perdomo

Leer más: Amadou Diallo (español)

Step Two of Four

Read and annotate a NowComment version of one of these stories. Use the links in the article to do further research into the person and the incident that you are studying.

25 Stories on Wikipedia

More Lists

Step Three of Four

Write a poem to remember the person and the incident you have been researching. Use both your imagination and the facts. Use "Night, for Henry Dumas" and "41 Bullets Off-Broadway" as model texts. Post your poem as a discussion on Youth Voices, and comment on other students' "Black Lives Matter" poems.

Step Four of Four

Comment on other students' "Black Lives Matter" poems using the Commenting Guides: Agree/Disagree Response, General Discussion Response, or Quoting a Source in a Commnet