Search for Blog Posts on Your Question

Blogs help you reach beyond the mainstream media to a wider and deeper perspective on a broad range of less common topics. Sure, there are questions about credibility (Anybody can create a blog.) and reliability (How do we know anything is true in a blog?), but blogs can be a great way to start collecting together different perspectives on almost any issue or question that you might want to learn more about. Bloggers often point to other more reliable and credible sources that you can use as you continue your research.

To filter content based on blog posts, go to Google News, and click on the Search Tools, then select the “All news” drop down and check off just “Blogs.”

Here is a screenshot:

Find, then read and annotate a blog post that is related to your research question. Annotate every paragraph or so with questions, opinions, reactions. Use hypothes.is or copy the post into NowComment.

You have a choice now for how to get involved in a Discussion on Youth Voices:

1. Either use the guide to the left and add a comment to another student's discussion post about your inquiry topic, transcribing and citing an important section from the blog post that you have read and annotated. 2. Or use the guide on the right to put your text-dependent response to the blog post that you have read and annotated up a as discussion on Youth Voices.

You choose, but in either case, remember that we encourage you to go beyond these guidelines adding as much as you would like.

Follow this guide when you are Adding a quotation to a discussion or comment
Use guide linked above to write a brief post to bookmark something you've found online for use in a more developed essay
or
to write a comment in which you are recommeding a source for another student.
This guide asks you to identify your inquiry project and how this quotation pushes your thinking. After inserting a chunk of text from your source, you are asked to paraphrase the quote, then write more about the signifigance of this in your own inquiry.
After annotating, use this guide: Basic Response to a Non-Fiction Article.
Use the guide linked above when you want to write a more formal response to one essay.
This guide will ask you to quote at least two times from that essay, and to explain why those two quotes represent the author's views, and to explain your thoughts about those views. What makes these parts of the text stand out for you?
You'll also be asked to explain at least two things you agree or disagree with in the text and to give your reasons. And you'll be asked to say what you appreciate most about this writer's work.