All news in Arts and Entertainment

Archetype in Pop Culture

Harry Potter

I believe that Harry Potter and the Harry Potter series in general is an example of the 'the good always wins' archetype. In case you don't know (even though you should) Harry Potter is a very popular book and movie series that is mainly fantasy. In the novels, Harry and the rest of the good people are always in some kind of trouble, mostly to do with Voldemort. Some specific examples are: In Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry is in the chamber with the basilisk, and it seems like he is for sure going to die. But just as all looked grim, Fawkes the Phoenix came with the sword of Gryffindor to save the day. This shows the archetype 'the good always wins' because even when the evil is winning, and all seemed bad, the good always prevailed.

Coming of Age and Angst Teenager Archetype

by: Katie J.

Kylie Jenner appears on the popular reality tv show, Keeping Up With The Kardashians. She is also a beauty icon with her big lips and makeup, specifically with her lip kit. The type of archetype that defines her the best is “coming of age” because everyone has been fixated on Kylie ever since she was little, and even more so now that she is an adult. “I’m 16 and still wanna be a kid sometimes” Kylie once commented on her growing up. Kylie also has everything along with her fame and fortune so she can be seen as someone who is way above the average person. She inspires millions of young girls who look up to her and will keep doing so as she gets older. She also has the archetype of “angst teenager” since she still is a teenager and as always, has a lot of drama with her family most of the time. Some quotes that demonstrate this angst are:
“I will hit you in the throat”
“That is absolutely repulsive”

Probably Our Favorite Character In Every Story

There has been a type of archetype in literature that I'm sure we are all greatly fond of. It creates humor, emotion and spirit as we read the story, and we become very emotional about that character. The archetype I'm talking about is actually pinpointed to a single (or two) character, and he is usually the one that is always different from the others. You see, literature's element of conflict has the characters mainly being serious and worrying about one certain situation. For example, Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet has the couples constantly worrying about themselves, since the family feud prevents them from having affairs.

The archetype comes in once Mercutio is introduced, a rather silly, gay (by "gay", I mean really happy) and funny guy. Under such a harsh condition of the two families, Mercutio seems like the only happy guy around, always being funny and making punch lines. Heck, when he was about to die from the fault of the two families, Mercutio's last breath was a punch line as well!

We don't just see this in Romeo and Juliet. In the Heroes of Olympus series, we see this type of spirit in Leo. In the Harry Potter series, we see this type of spirit in Ron. All three of these characters resemble a common archetype used in literature throughout the years of the evolution of writing and language; it is that one character that seems to be the muse of everyone, which we actually grow fond of the most.

The example I would mainly focus on today is from an old Wii game I used to play; the Legend of Zelda, Skyward Sword. The plot of the story starts off with Link and Zelda riding their Loftwings (basically giant birds). Suddenly, Zelda gets blown off her Loftwing by some mysterious tornado and was sucked into the surface, which no one has been there before (Everyone known there were living in the clouds of islands). Link picks up the master sword, which he was guided to, and embarks to the surface. There, he learns that he has more responsibility than just to rescue Zelda, but to prevent the seal from breaking. It turns out that there was a goddess named Hylia that created the Triforce that would give "infinite power" blah blah blah and there was some evil dude named Demise that wanted it. So Hylia risked her immortal soul and sealed Demise into this stone. Hyllia took form of a mortal, which was Zelda.

Link learned that the seal, over hundreds of years, has been weakened, and there is no choice but to destroy Demise all together. So he did it. TADA!!!

Now, I forgot one very important character: Groose. Groose bullied Link back when they were both at the Knight's academy. Link and Zelda were always great friends, but Groose has this HUGE crush on Zelda. He was a lot stronger and bigger than Link, he was always so show-off like, so he thought he deserved to be the one to rescue Zelda.

Once Impa, some really wise women from the surface, turned him down, Groose became devastated. This, however, changed his character. Groose became to explore his own interests on trying to help Link, he wanted to be involved with this, too. He invented the Groosenator, an extremely powerful catapult designed to hurl objects that severely damage structures. He built it to help Link get rid of the Imprisoned, a form of Demise when he broke the seal. Groose was able to use the Groosenator to launch Link into the Carinwood forest when the main gates were flooded, and was responsible for blasting bombs at the Imprisoned whenever he was distracted. Groose played a major role on stopping Demise, he even caught Zelda flying out of the air when she was launched by Ghirahim (he's not very important).

Groose became the muse I was talking about. He cheered on Link whenever he had to face another task, and encouraged him to fight stronger and continue with courage. He compliments Link, and seems to always be there when he has some conflict in his head. He is always so funny at poking fun on how ugly the Imprisoned is, how Impa is so old and how the Groosenator is so awesome. Through all of the monsters and angry people Link encountered, Groose was always the one that seemed like to be the only light in a dark cave.

Not only this type of archetype was used in literature, but in stories explained in video games. I'd like to see how this aspect of original literature would be used in future creations.

Women Shelter

by: cniegos

The program started when a group of women volunteers dream of trying to helped women especially homeless women for shelter, food, and other supports that they needed. The mission of the Women’s Daytime Drop-In Center is to empower women and children to move from the streets to a home by providing ongoing and intensive counseling, case management services, transitional housing and a safe daytime refuge. It offers free services to any homeless woman and her children. Women can access WDDC services by dropping in Monday through Friday between the hours of 8am and 4pm. They seeking volunteers to help with them to day-to-day work at the center as well as skilled based work. Volunteers must willing to make a 4 month commitment and contribute at least 3 hours per week. Activities include: Bridget House Transitional Facility, Children’s Program, Employment and Financial Client Support, Meal Preparation, Office/Administrative Support, Outreach and Fundraising, SHE Project (Women’s Health), Weekly Group Assistance (Limited).

The WDDC serves an average of 150 women and children each month in a nurturing, home-like environment. Services are available at no fee to any homeless woman or child. The program was built for women that needed help especially at day time. Many shelters are usually open at night time. Mothers with their children have no place to stay during the day. The WDDC has evolved from its original mission of providing emergency and crisis response to a program of on-going support services. The Center is a great way to make a huge impact on the women and children.

The Honest Woodman

This is my Scratch animation for my Technology Class. Our goal was to make an animation of a folktale that had the protagonist make a decision. But the main goal was to make it interactive where the viewer chooses what happens in the story and decides which on ending he or she want’s to see. I believe that i did pretty well with my animation because my tech teacher showed me how to break down my goals into little mini goals so I could divide my time up for each section and we also discussed on ways we can do our work without procrastinating.

Act 1
Honest Woodman by Aesop
Characters:
The Honest Woodman
Goddess of the Lake
Settings:
The Lake
The Cliff above the lake
Scene starts at the cliff where the Woodman is chopping a tree and after chopping the tree, he put his axe down at the edge of the cliff.
Woodman: Wooh. That sure was a tough tree to cut down. But it’s a good thing that I have my iron axe with. Without my axe, I could never cut down that tree.
The Woodman steps back and accidently steps and knocks over the axe, resulting to the axe falling of the edge of the cliff and diving in the lake.
Woodman: Oh no. My axe fell off the cliff. I knew I should have put it in my bag. Looks like I have to go down there and find my axe before someone else takes it. It’s the only thing I have that can help me cut wood and earn money for my family.
Woodman goes down to the right and the scene changes to The lake.
Woodman: Where is my axe? Oh I just realised that I axed myself a question? Ha ha.
Goddess of the Lake: Are missing an axe my fellow?
Woodman: Why yes. Have you seen it?
Goddess: Yes I have but I have seen two axes. There is a gold axe and an Iron axe. Which one is yours?

Moral Decision
If he choses the gold axe, he will be given nothing but a disgusting look from the Goddess of the Lake and the Honest Woodman does not get his axe. He then cannot support his family and has to live with the shame for the rest of his family.
If he choses the iron axe, Then the Goddess will give the Woodman fortune and wealth and gets both axes as a sign of a reward and the Honest Woodman will use his fortune to help people and his family.
Act 2A
The Goddess of the Lake: You have no
honor and you are just a fool with the mentality of greed and you shall be given nothing.
The Goddess of the Lake changes costume to a disgusted look and goes down under the lake.
Woodman: Oh no. Without my axe, I can’t cut trees to turn to lumber and sell it to get money to care for my family. My greed has cost my life and my family.
Scene changes to a black background and has the words “ You’ve taken the path of greed and in return, you are given shame.
Act 2B
The Goddess of the Lake: Are you sure the golden axe in not yours?
Woodmen: Yes I am sure. My axe is the one with the dull iron blade. I’m sorry that my axe fell in your lake.
Goddess of the Lake: Don’t be sorry. You have showed me great honor to not lie and to say the truth. You have my honorable respect. For that I reward you with both axes and fortune for your family and you decide on what you do with that fortune.
Woodman: Thank you. I shall be grateful. Again, thank you for this reward of fortune.
The Goddess of the Lake: You're welcome. Always speak the truth and never lie.
Goddess goes down to the river and swims down and disappears.

The Emperor's New Clothes

Intro:

Wow! Hans Christian Anderson really wrote a great story- The Emperor’s New Clothes! I had so much fun animating a different version of it that I wrote for a project in my Tech class. It was a unit that was all about making a moral decision- would you end up choosing the right answer or the wrong answer if the choice was yours? This was actually possible in my animation, since it had to be user interactive. You could choose if the emperor made the “nice and right” choice, or the “mean and wrong” choice.

Now, many of you had probably heard of this story before. You know that the emperor decides to say he sees the suit when he really doesn’t. I, having to keep the animation PG, couldn't have the emperor parading around naked in the story. So, it is what he does after he realizes they lied to him and didn’t make him a suit. Should he give them a second chance, or exploit them to the town? If you have a opinion, play the animation! A link is down below, as well as the actual animation.  

Script:

The Emperor's new clothes

By Hans Christian Anderson

Act 1:

Cast:

Emperor ( Bobert)

Man 1 (Frank)

Man 2 ( John)

Advisor (Smith)

Villagers

Setting:

Emperor’s Palace and the village square (for scene 2 a)

Script:

Bobert: Smith, find me a man that can turn me into the most handsome king alive!

Smith: I’m afraid to say that it would take a lot more than 1 man to make you handsome, King Bobert.However, a new suit goes a long way in terms of appearances!

Bobert: I fear that you have truth in your words. Find me 2 men then!

Smith: You need an entire village! But I fear this village won’t want to do your hair.

Bobert: Yes, yes, yes. Bring 2 men who are willing to make me the most luxurious suit ever then!

Smith: That I can do!

(Goes and returns with 2 men who are Frank and John)

Frank: We hear that you were in dire need of a new suit, my king.

John: But now that we are here, we SEE you are in dire need of a new suit!

Bobert: Yes. I am. How much do you need to make it? How long will it take?

Frank: 2 million pounds and

John: It will take 2 weeks!

Smith: I shall send a royal letter saying you are getting a new suit in 2 weeks  but need 2 million tax pounds to do so! They will be so glad to help!

Bobert: Yes. Now, go into that room. You are held captive until the suit is done!

( 2 weeks later)

Frank: (comes out of room) We need you to try this on! (holds up nothing)

Bobert: I don’t see anything!

Smith: There is nothing! You wasted our time and money, you buffons! Whatever shall we do, King Bobert?

Moral Decision:

If you would give people a second chance or not

Presented in:

Question/Answer Blocks

Act 2 A:

King Bobert decides not to give the people a second chance. He goes to the people to ask what they should do. They banish them from the kingdom forever.

Bobert: There is only one thing we can do

Smith: What? Banishment, be-heading, starve them, drowning?

Bobert: No. We need to do something worse. Much worse!

Smith: My King, are you thinking what I am thinking?

Bobert: Probably not. I have a very royal mind, yet you are a simple commoner. Your mind is quite bland and plain

Smith: You are right, your highness. But maybe we shall give it a try. I was thinking that we could go to the village and let them-

Bobert: No! We can’t read minds! I just had the most royal idea ever!

Smith: And what is that, my king?

Bobert: I shall banish them both after taking the money back!

Smith: Good idea! Let’s get to work!

(Show page where it says the end)

Act 2 B:

King Bobert decides to give the people a second chance. He gets a refund, gives them more time, and is presented with such a suit.Has heart attack, and dies.

Bobert: There is only one thing we can do, Smith!

Smith: What? Kill them and make it look like an accident? I have an Uncle who can-

Bobert: No! Smith, we must give these men a second chance!

Smith: But-

Bobert: No buts! (Turns to Frank and John) Go! You have exactly 23 hours to make me a beautiful suit, or I expose you to the villagers!

John: We’d rather be exposed!

Smith: No, last time there was a 147 day war that followed, and there was a lot of killing involved.

Frank: We shall see you soon! (Drags Frank away)

(Show slide that says 23 hours later)

Bobert: Well? What do you have for me? A fancy suit that will make me shine?

John: Yes! It is our best work yet!

Smith: Well, get on with it! Show it to him!

Frank: 3,2,1,Awesomeness! (shows suit)

Bobert: It’s-It’s beautiful! ( he starts acting weird)

Smith: My king, are you okay?

Bobert: It was- too pretty for me...goodbye smith! (has heart attack and dies)

(show page where it says the end)

Storyboards:

Image-Pack-storyboard-for-unit-3-project.png

Image-Pack-unit-3-storyboard-act-2.png

Link:

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/108400008/

My Animation: 

The Raven by The Brothers Grimm

by: 21moye
StoryBoard Act 1

Act 1: Narrator: In a castle far away, there once was a Queen who had a child too young to crawl. The child starts crying for no reason and the Queen has tried to do everything she could. (Princess starts having a tantrum and will not stop) Queen: Ugh this child is driving me crazy. Raven: Whaaaaaaa (holds her out the window) Queen: I wish you could turn into a rav- (Princess Raven turns into an actual raven and flies away into the forest as her mother wished) Narrator: One day there was a handsome young man who passed by and saw the poor girl/raven weeping. Man: Am I dreaming or is a raven crying it’s eyes out? Mr.Raven? Are you alright? Raven: I am a GIRL, sir and no I am not alright. You see my mother, the Queen abandoned me and turned me into a raven. I want to become human again. Can you help me? If you do it will be a dangerous quest. Moral Decision: Should the man risk everything to help the raven become human again? Act 2 A Man: I will help you. What am I to do? Raven: You are to go to the cottage in the woods. There would be an old woman there waiting for you. She will offer you lots of food to eat and drinks to drink. Do not drink or eat anything. Man: And if I do? Raven: You will fall asleep and will not be able to help me anymore. Man: What do I do there? Raven: In the Garden, there is a big pile of tan. Stand there and wait for me. I will come tomorrow in a carriage pulled by one horse. And if you are not awake then, I will not be set free. (sigh) Alas, I know you will accept something from the woman and fall asleep. Man: I promise I won’t (Man walks to find the cottage in the woods) (next day he decided to accept an apple from the woman but was still able to save the princess) (princess takes him to an abandoned castle and there she turns human) Act 2 B Man: if the quest is really dangerous, I do not want to risk my life for someone else's. Raven: Of course, I should have known better than to ask for your help if it might cause death. (man walks back to his house) Man: mother? I'm home! (the man's mother comes down but dhows up as a monster.) Man: mother! What happened to you? Mother: (talks in gibberish) Man: who did this to you?? I don't understand what you are saying. (man finds out that his father has died the day after he left for his journey) Mother: (keeps talking in gibberish) Man: did you say that you thought it was because I didn't help the raven? Mother: (says yes in gibberish) Man: oh mother, what do I do now? (story ends here)

The Raven by The Brothers Grimm

by: 21moye
StoryBoard Act 1

The Raven by The Brothers Grimm

by: 21moye
StoryBoard Act 1
Storyboard Act 2s

Tech 7 Unit 3 Project

by: 21dewana
King Midas and the Golden Touch

Introduction

To make this project I had some guidelines to follow.  My story had to be based on a published story that is in the public domain. The story that I picked was “King Midas and the Golden Touch.” This animation must have the decision that king Midas made in the actual story and the decision that I created. There is a moral and ethical decision. A Moral decision means: having to do with issues of right and wrong, in an absolute context. And an Ethical decision mea: having to do with issues of right and wrong, in a specific context. The decision Midas made in the actual story that is presented in this animation is he wishes that everything he touches turns to gold. The decision that I created was King Midas makes the wish in benefit of his daughter rather than for himself.  

Script:

King Midas and the Golden Touch

Act:1:

Characters

• King Midas

• Daughter

• Dionyssus

• SIlenus

Setting: *Near the garden of King Midas’ house

Script

*Near the garden of King Midas’ house*

Dionyssus: Come on we have to leave!

Silenus: Ok whatever i'm just going to sleep here

Silenus: (lies down) Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Dionyssus: Ok catch up!

*King walks in*

King: Hey YOU! What are you doing here

SIlenus wakes up and gets up

King(in thought bubble): I think I have seen him before? Oh yeah!, he is a satyr who works with Dionyssus. I should take him in and give him a place to eat and sleep.

King: Wake up.

Time goes by

King: Let's go to dionyssus castle.

Silenus: OK LETS GO

Glides to the right

Dionyssus: Thank you you are so kind, And because of your kindness I will grant you one wish!

Moral Decision- Animation asks user to press 1 for the wish: I hope that everything I touch becomes gold. Animation asks user to press 2 for the wish: I want for my daughter to go to the best college.

ACT 2A Summary

The king wakes up the next day wish granted. He touches the desk to see if his wish came true. He went out to the garden and picked a rose to smell it but it turned to goal. He then went inside to eat. He tried picking up a piece of bread and eating it but it immediately turned to gold and hard. His daughter then came into the room and he tried hugging her but she turned into a gold statue. The king was very sad and prayed to Dionyssus that this curse would go away

_____________________________

Act 2A Script

*King Midas on bed and gets up*

King Midas(in thought bubble): Hey I wonder If my wish worked.

*touched table and it turned to gold*

King Midas: I AM GONNA BE RICH!! YES

*Set setting to dining table area with food*

King midas tries eating but realizes he can't because the food is turning to gold

King Midas: Oh my god. I am so sad how will i eat now

*Daughter walks into room*

King: Girl! Come here and give me hug

*Daughter turns into gold*

King Midas: OH MY GOD!!!

*starts crying*

*King midas goes near fireplace*

King Midas(hands folded):

Dear Dionyssus,

Please lift this curse that is currently upon me. I am sorry for my actions and I apologize that my greed has taken over. Please forgive me and lift this curse

Amen.

Dionyssus (in king’s head): From now on you will share your wealth with others and not be greedy. Go to river Pactolus and wash your hands.

*Next day*

*Near river*

King Midas: I hope this works.

Puts hands in water and washes them.

Touches the flower nearby.    

King Midas: YESSSSSS!!!

Act 2B Summary

The king wakes up the next day to his daughter saying she found a package in the front of the door with 999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999 dollars and a note saying use this money to bribe a college to allow them to accept you. She did this and got into the best school in the world. But she sil money to spare and bought a car. She was riding back from a party and crashed and died. She then was discovered to have drank too much apple juice.

_________________________________________

Act 2B Script

*King Midas*

King Midas(still sleeping):

Daughter: DAD DAD! We found a package outside the door!

*open box and shows cash*

King midas: So what's in it

Read note aloud: Dear Random Person,

Heer is some cash so you can get into the best college in the world Don't use the money for any other reason!

Daughter: So what do you want me to do?

King Midas: Listen to the note and do what it says.

Daughter: Goes to college

Daughter: Ok hi. This Is how this conversation is going to go. I'm going to give you some money and you will give me an admission to this school

Lady: Woah Woah Woah, this is not how it works you will have to take a test just like every other student and then the teachers will pick you personally.

*Girl start flashing money around*

Ladys eyes become hearts

Daughter: Name your price

Daughter starts writing a 1 and then 0s on a check.

Lady: That's it no more I don't want your money… maybe just 2 more zeroes, and then that will be perfect!

Daughter: ok this is my new school

Daughter walks out

Daughter: I’m a go out in my ferrari

Driving on road

Daughter crashes

Pop up saying don't drink OJ and drive

Link to Project: