All news in Connected Research

my food traking connections

I read parts of Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan. Reading about food led me to track what food I eat. So some food I eat is Pb and j, mashed potatoes,bacon egg and cheese (etc).

One part of this book that stood out to me was “ when farmers first planted hybrid corn in the 1930s their yields doubled or tripled”pg 35.This quote means that farmers are genetically modifying corn to produce more kernels.

This quote makes me think about if all of the stuff I ate in my life was just corn.I made this connection because I like corn.making connection strategies is important because it helps you connects to other stuff like other books, or to myself, and the world.

The Benefits of Free Health Care in America

by: safah

Imagine a world without the stress of medical bills and its debt. America should have free healthcare because doctors are taking advantage of their power when scheduling random, unnecessary scannings, people with major illnesses cannot pay for their sickness when they have no control of it, and we have proof of effective systems in nations such as Canada.

America’s health care system allows doctors to schedule random procedures that are used during big cases when they are diagnosable without all the machinery. Victor Fuchs, is the well-respected author of “Why Do Rich Nations Spend so Much on Healthcare?”, explains how America over does it with the machine procedures. They use this machinery whenever they can to get a few extra thousand dollars on their pockets. Fuchs explains “The U.S. delivers roughly three times as many mammograms, two-and-a-half times as many MRI scans, and a third more C-sections per capita than the average OECD country.” (Fuchs, 2014) These rates are unbelievable and need to be decreased. This shows the actual rates of the procedures done annually which are completely useless.

This means that other countries teach their doctors to not schedule unnecessary testing because it is a waste of time and money for the patients. In the long run, patients will spend billions of dollars on useless tests each year. All of this wasted money can be spent on patient wellness rather useless procedures. With free health care, people will be free of these high amounts of debt and will feel more at ease. Fuchs spoke of the differences in machine testing that America had with other countries.

Most all other countries do not do this much testing on people to confirm their already diagnosed problems. “Compared with the average OECD country, the U.S. delivers (population adjusted) almost three times as many mammograms, two-and-a-half times the number of MRI scans, and 31 percent more C-sections. Also, the U.S. has more stand-by equipment, for example, 1.66 MRI machines per 6,000 annual scans vs. 1.06 machines.” (Fuchs, 2014) This shows the actual rates of the procedures done annually which are completely useless. This is important because doctors are condoning inflective radiation to enter their patient's body.

One reason that America should have free healthcare is that people with major, chronic illnesses pay thousands of dollars every month to not be in pain. Andrew Pollack, alumni of Princeton University, composed this article, on September 20, 2015, in order to inform us of the random inflations of drugs that people have no control of using. “The drug, called Daraprim, was acquired in August by Turing Pharmaceuticals, a start-up run by a former hedge fund manager. Turing immediately raised the price to $750 a tablet from $13.50, bringing the annual cost of treatment for some patients to hundreds of thousands of dollars.” (Pollack, 2015) This quote shows that drugs can be raised for no reason.

Even if the drug isn’t worth $750 per tablet, their companies can increase their prices for no reason and without warning. This is important because people who are on this drug, Daraprim, may use this medication to survive and they shouldn’t pay that much money because it is a cruel punishment. Then, Pollack notifies us that when certain drugs aren’t used much anymore, their companies raise the prices. This way, the minimal patients using this product will give them more production money. “Although some price increases have been caused by shortages, others have resulted from a business strategy of buying old neglected drugs and turning them into high-priced “specialty drugs.” (Pollack, 2015) This quote means that when companies need extra money “for production”, they raise their drug prices. The call them “specialty drugs” to make it seem acceptable when in reality, it should not be tolerated any more.

America’s needs free healthcare because we have proof of effective systems from Canada among many other countries. The National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER), a well-respected cooperation since 1920, had their certified writers write the article “Comparing the U.S. and Canadian Health Care Systems” on April 29, 2016. Canada’s statistics of obesity and heart disease have a significant difference with America’s rates. “At older ages much of the gap is due to a higher rate of heart disease-related mortality in the U.S. While this could be related to better treatment of heart disease in Canada, factors such as the U.S.'s higher obesity rate (33 percent of U.S. women are obese, vs. 19 percent in Canada) surely play a role.” (NBER, 2016) Canada has much better health rates because of their easy access to health care. These statistics are important because it shows that we as Americans can have the same rates as Canada.

America can adopt their system easily and we can succeed along with them. “The final health status measure examined is the incidence of chronic conditions like high blood pressure, heart disease, and asthma. These measures are less subjective, but also are known to be influenced by behavior and other factors outside of the health care system. The authors find that the incidence of these conditions is somewhat higher in the U.S.” (NBER, 2016) This quote shows the actual statistics of America's health issues and it gives us an idea of how much a change is needed.

You may ask how this health care systems would even pay for themselves. They would receive the money by raising tax prices. Some may say because free healthcare raises our taxes, it’s not worth it. But in the long run, it does more help than harm to their financial stability. Nadeem Esmail explains how drastic the taxes would change. He says that “For the average family of two parents with one child that bill will be $10,989, and for the average family of two adults (without children) the bill comes to $11,381.” These bills are worth being paid for because many people can afford these prices.

In all, America needs free healthcare because it will be beneficial for people who cannot afford their expensive treatments, there won’t be wasted machinery testing, and we have proof that this system works from countries like Canada. I encourage you all to write a letter to the Senate explaining how free healthcare will benefit yourself and your family. Hopefully, if the Senate receives enough heart-felt messages, he will consider these ideas and we will get one step closer to this wonderful possibility.

Bill Nye: the Mad Scientist Archetype

There's no denying that Bill Nye had a huge influence on children and teen's of today. Just ask any American child of his name, and you will get an immediate recollection, perhaps even the chorus of his show's theme song. Bill Nye incorporated the essence of many of our childhoods. His videos feature an eccentric scientist that uses goofiness to relate to young children and teach them aspects of science. In many ways, he portrays the archetype of the "mad scientist", not through ways of insanity, but more through offbeat and "wacky" behavior.

Archetypes in Pop Culture

There are many archetypes in pop culture. In Harry Potter, Voldemort has a snake named Nagini. This is a part of the archetype that snakes are evil. Nagini helps Voldemort by spying on and biting people. She is a horcrux, and needs to be killed before Voldemort can be killed. In the Odyssey, Scylla is a creature who is sometime described as a snake. She fits the archetype that snakes are evil because she tries to stop Odysseus from returning home and kills six people. Then, Odysseus kills Scylla and continues on his journey home.

'The Sage' Archetype

by: meme2019

You see it everywhere - the Sage, a (usually) old, slightly grumpy man who preaches wisdom. In our society, what better example to use than Morgan Freeman? The beloved actor and African American rights activist who charms us all with his voice is a clear representation of the stereotypical sage, as shown in quotes such as:

"Learning how to be still,to really be still and let life happen - that stillness becomes radiance."

"But I can say that life is good to me. Has been and is good. So I think my task is to be good to it. So how do you be good to life? You live it."

Sages use their intelligence to their advantage, and spread it amongst other people. They want to reflect on self and are afraid of ignorance - which we see Freeman demonstrate as he believes in spreading awareness in Martin Luther King and other aspects of black history. Looking for the bigger picture in life is also a common quality of these individuals, something Freeman certainly doesn't lack with his worldly mindset.

Archetype

by: tina188

The mentor archetype is a character who is more experienced than others and is able to provide them with knowledge and wisdom. They are usually much older than the hero and teach them life lessons or skills. Gandalf, from the “Lord of the Rings,” fits the mentor archetype.

In the “Lord of the Rings,” Frodo receives a ring from Bilbo Baggins and is told by Gandalf that Frodo must leave the shire, where he lives, and make sure the ring never goes into the hands of Sauron, the dark lord. Throughout the journey to destroy the ring, Frodo constantly receives knowledge from Gandalf. Gandalf knows the secret passages and what paths to take and so forth. These movies really show the wise old man archetype, passing on their knowledge and helping the hero through their journey.

Archetype

by: MarenH2

In the book series Harry Potter, Dumbledore fits the archetype the wise old mentor. He guides Harry, Ron and Hermione through their adventures and helps them by giving the advice even if at times it is vague. He pulls strings from behind the scenes to make everything that takes place in the books happen. He helps Hermione and Harry save Buckbeak. He shows up at Harry's trial to defend him, he helps rescue the fallen Harry after his encounter with Voldemort in the first book and much more. Dumbledore is a perfect example of a wise old mentor.

Archetypes

In the 1979 blockbuster film, Star Wars: A New Hope, viewers find themselves deeply immersed in the life of young Luke Skywalker, who is leading a normal life on the desert planet of Tatooine, selling and fixing up droids with his Uncle Owen. However, after an important droid, R2-D2, gets in the hands of Luke and his uncle, things quickly turn interesting for Luke. When R2 makes contact with Obi-Wan Kenobi, Luke is brought into contact with one of the few remaining Jedi in the galaxy. Throughout the rest of the movie, Obi-Wan teaches Luke the ways of the Jedi and how to become a crucial part in fighting against the empire.
Obi-wan Kenobi’s role in the movie, Star Wars: A New Hope, directly mirrors the common archetype of the wise old man. Kenobi finds himself mentoring and teaching Luke Skywalker (the son of his former apprentice, Anakin Skywalker), the ways of the force, and becomes somewhat of a father figure to Luke as the film progresses. In fact, this connection becomes so strong, that when Obi-Wan is killed by the leader of the Empire, Darth Vader, at the end of the movie, Luke feels as if he has lost a close family member, a father figure one could say.
Luke is very antsy to get started in acquiring knowledge of the force, as well as learning how to use a lightsaber. However, Obi-Wan (also known as Ben), works with Luke slowly so as to develop the skills and knowledge correctly. This mentorship that Kenobi provides to Luke greatly mirrors that of a wise old man, teaching an apprentice or younger person a skill they have mastered.

Mad Scientist Archetype

by: Roan522

When you think of a mad scientist, you may think of someone mixing chemicals in his ivory tower. Now obviously, this is a completely fictional archetype, but it is based on the somewhat detached, intelligent scientist, an archetype which is in fact rather common. Bill Nye, though not his science guy persona, is a textbook example of a real-life “Mad Scientist”. The things that he says, though completely right, are so far from the polite, politically correct statements coming from most prominent liberals that it is both shocking and refreshing. This is because he, like mad scientist clichés, cares not for politics and maneuvering, but for facts. In a debate with several conservatives about climate change, his abrasive, superior style, which one would only see from very few other people in his position, completely outmatched his opponents, and one in fact claimed to be “bullied for disagreeing” with his facts.

Some of the highlights from his debate include:
“Let’s talk about the facts. You’re saying that they’re not true”
“So how do you wanna get public consensus, by...saying that it’s not serious [like a poll says people believe]?”
“So let’s just start with: we don’t agree on the facts.”
“Science, researchers, say yes. You [say no]”

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/bill-nye-battles-crossfires-s-e-cupp-over-cli...

archetype

In the movie sleeping beauty the archetype of the damsel in distress shows up. Prince Aurora is cursed to die on her 16th birthday but instead she falls into a deep sleep that can only be lifted by a prince. This an example of damsel in distress because Aurora can only be awoken if her beloved prince phillip comes saves her. She does nothing to save herself and it is expected that the prince will save her which by definition of damsel in distress means a young woman in trouble with the expectation that the woman needs to be rescued by a prince, this fits the plot line of sleeping beauty and the archetype of damsel in distress.

https://gaggingonsexism.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/images-44.jpeg

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/dictionary/american/a-damsel-in-di...