All news in From the Middle (6-8)

Back to the Seventh Grade: Mozart with Amnesia

by: 20iazzagm
Mozart background
Back to the Seventh Grade

This is my project journal.

There are some errors in uploading my project. The chart in it does not have color, and for this reason, it is useless. I also cannot put a video in this body, but the link to the games are provided.

My project URL:https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/64974498/

Group project URL: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/65169572/#player

<iframe allowtransparency="true" width="485" height="402" src="//scratch.mit.edu/projects/embed/64974498/?autostart=false" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe allowtransparency="true" width="485" height="402" src="//scratch.mit.edu/projects/embed/65169572/?autostart=false" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Investigate Group Concept (Type of Game): We each have different kinds of games, and completely original concepts, all put together into one game.

Each Subject For the Group Member’s Project

Subject

Person Doing the Subject

Type of Game

Science

Rashmika

Side Scroller

Music

Melyssa

Trivia

Humanities

Lia

Strategy

Math

Winston

Platformer

Music:

Game Mechanics:

Players can answer trivia questions on each level that if are solved, will get you to the next level and will regain a part of Mozart’s memory. The player will answer different questions through each level. Mozart will give the players hints on some questions. The player will interact with the game by using the mouse and clicking on the different answer choices.

Objective:

The game starts with Mozart at his violin, starting to play it. However it sounds terrible. Mozart tells us that he fell down on the ground and hit his head on the harpsichord he owned and passed out. After a while, he woke up, and didn’t know ANYTHING about music. All he knows is that his last name is Mozart, and he was an amazing composer and musician until then. He thinks him asking you questions will help him recover.

Characters

Mozart: A famous composer. In the game, he gets amnesia and needs help remembering everything. You need to answer all of the questions in each level correctly. The higher the level, the higher the difficulty. Obstacles Each question will be about anything music-related. They will be multiple choice questions. To level up, you must answer all the questions correctly. One wrong and GAME OVER. An obstacle would be that the questions get harder as each level passes. Chrome A creative commons picture of Mozart will be used. Backgrounds that are creative commons will also be used. The game will teach kids facts about music and about the addition of musical notes and the many different instruments there are to play.

Hangouts Calling *Phone maybe*

Time

12 Days Labor

Several people working on an equally fair amount

Rashmika

Melyssa

Lia

Winston

Role

5/20

5/21

5/22

5/23

5/24

5/25

5/26

5/27

5/28

5/29

5/30

5/31

6/1

Rashmika’s main character

Winston’s Main Character

Melyssa’s Main character

Lia’s main Character

Rashmika’s Enemy Character

Winston’s Enemy Character

Melyssa’s Enemy Character

Lia’s Enemy Character

Rashmika’s Levels 1, 2, 3, and 4  

Wnston’s Levels 1, 2, 3, and 4

Melyssa’s Levels 1, 2, 3, and 4

Lia’s Levels 1, 2, 3, and 4

Title slide

Combine games

Questions

Developers Logs  

Mel:

5/22/2015 BSGE, 10:00-10:15

I worked on the characters for my project. I am almost done making the character Mozart. I will then make an enemy character tomorrow. Some issues that I had were finding the whole body of Mozart that had s creative commons license. I eventually found one, and am almost done erasing the unneeded parts of the photo.

5/29/2015 Home, 4:00-5:35

Today I decided to use scratch to make costumes for Mozart. I finished coming up with good questions to ask. Now  I have to code them on Scratch.

5/30/2015, home, 1:00-3:15

I finished the game, but a problem I encountered was that everything was deleted, and nothing was saved.

5/31/2015, home, 1:00-6:50

I redid the whole project. Even though the project was mostly deleted, the backgrounds remained intact. I had to remake Mozart's costumes, get the costumes for the obstacle characters from the scratch library, and recode the entire project. It took a while, but the project is finished.

Group Meetings

Lia

My group worked well together to combine our project over FaceTime. There had been glitches within the project but everything worked nicely.

Melyssa

Durng the group meetings, my group and I did a good job of working together to look over eachother’s projects. We checked them over to make sure they were functional. Although it took a while to put together, we did a good job of working together.

Rashmika

6/1/15

5-7pm

Hangouts video call

I think that today, our group did exceptionally well on working together. We critiqued each other's  projects and we combined them. This took quite a while because some of our games had errors that we had to fix along the way which was really difficult. It also took a while to combine the games, because then we discovered even more glitches! I was also able to ask my group members for help  in fixing the errors, and they helped me solve the problem! Except, in transferring the games there was a glitch which Winston mentioned on his side in the last paragraph, which I was able to fix. It is in my latest developer's log. All members were present.

Winston

6/1/15

I think today, our group was phenomenal when compared to the task that we had to complete. Today, we for some reason, found that whenever we tried to combine our separate games, there were suddenly 50 billion glitches that we never noticed before. It also didn’t help that sometimes the backpack feature glitched, and didn’t bring over all of the things that we put in it. However, it helped that my group members were around since I was able to see what other people did and see how I could make my own project better if I had time e.g. add sound effects, or to make the question part of the background instead of the ground sprite. I think it was a great experience, but still nonetheless, it was frustrating trying to combine all of our group projects.

I’d also like to mention that there is still a glitch in Rashmika’s game with backgrounds that we didn’t know how to fix, because such a glitch wasn’t there in her individual game. In Lia’s backdrops, for the group game, they’re different because the backdrops weren’t transported correctly, so we had to manually redo them.

VSGE

by: 20vargaso
VSGE Video Game

My Group Project:

My Indivdual Project:

VSGE

Overall Idea:

The sprite attends the school VSGE--Virtual School of Global Education. The sprite starts off outside the school, and to get in, the player clicks the door. Once inside, there is a screen that says “Welcome to VSGE--the Virtual School of Global Education. Your schedule is Spanish, Humanities, Math, then Science. Your goal is to earn at least 8 points before lunch and get some popularity. In each class, the player gets 20 seconds to read as much information as possible before class starts. The player is then asked 3 multiple choice questions for each class, and if answered correctly, gets two points each question. After class two ends, if the sprite has less than 8 points, it sits alone and eats disgusting school lunch--this causes the sprite to be sad, deducting 2 points from the player. If the sprite has 8 or more points, the sprite sits with friends and eats good home food--this causes the sprite to be happy, adding 2 points to the player. Afterwards, the sprite takes 2 more classes. At the end, the sprite walks home.

Four Mini Games (Four Subjects):

1. Spanish-- Olivia (Mr.G)

2. Humanities-- Adnan (Mr.A)

3. Science-- Jaime (Mr. L or Mrs.J)

4. Math-- Hiruni (Mr. M)

Individual Project Plan: Olivia

Game Mechanics: Translate sentences from English to Spanish and Spanish to English, basic vocabulary, definitions

Objectives: Try to answer each question/translation/definition correctly, receiving 2 points for each

Obstacles: You have 10 seconds to read vocabulary before Mr. G asks the questions, Mr. G will be singing and talking to you as a distraction

Chrome: Mr. G’s classroom, what Mr. G looks like, *Doing the part where the player eats bad lunch and sits alone *

Design:

1. Game Mechanics: Player must choose what classes they want to go to, get through everyday school obstacles (like choosing school food and getting to classes). They enter the school and choose which two classes to take first. Then they have to answer as many questions as they can correctly.

2. Obstacles: Time limit of 10 seconds in class for reading the paragraphs and questions. The player must be able to read paragraphs in 10 seconds and/or answer 3 questions in that same time limit. Paragraphs will be mostly found in the Humanities level.

3. Objective: Earn enough points to gain popularity at lunch and eat good food instead of school lunch. Earn at least 8 points before lunch to eat the good food and sit with your friends. Earn extra popularity points if you do this. Earn less than 8 points before lunch, then you get the bad food and sit alone.

4. Chrome: Player walking to school, eating bad lunch and sitting alone OR eating good lunch and sitting wherever s/he wants (depending on # of points earned), walking home after school end, graphics, type of characters and backgrounds. The type of characters look like actual teachers and backgrounds look like our actual classes.

Design Individual Project for Olivia:

Spanish Information: Basic drinks and foods in english and spanish, basic pronouns, basic verbs, basic places, prepositions

Questions Asked:

1. What does el tocino mean in english?

1. turkey                      b. tea

c.   bacon                       d. cheese

1. Translate this sentence to english: Nosotros comemos mucho comida a la restaurante.

Answer: ___We eat a lot of food at the restaurant___.

1. How do you say church in spanish?

1. aeropuerto                     b. iglesia

c.   manzana                        d. casa

Plan:

Resources

Tools: Computer, Scratch.com, creative commons, Google, mywebface.com

Materials: Sprites from Mywebface and Scratch, classroom backgrounds, school backgrounds,

• Scripts/Blocks: If then else, when green flag clicked, when this sprite clicked, etc.

Location: School, Google Hangouts, Google Doc. Chat

Time: 12 Days

Money: $0.00

Labor:

Olivia: Sprite at lunch with bad food, individual game

Jaime: Sprite going home, individual game

Hiruni: Sprite at lunch with good food, sprite in math class (individual game)

Adnan: Introduction, how to start game. Make sprite enter school and select subject and then upload the subject that has been selected. Individual game

Action Plan:

Olivia

Jaime

Adnan

Hiruni

Everyone

*bgs=backgrounds  

**cp=chrome part (good lunch, bad lunch, walking home)

***Adnan has no cp because he’s making the main character sprite and the intro.

Task

5/22

5/23

5/24

5/25

5/26

5/27

5/28

5/29

5/30

5/31

6/1

Unavailable

...  

.   .  .  . .

.

. . .

Create all sprites

Create Adnan’s bgs*

Create Olivia’s bgs

Create Hiruni’s bgs

Create Jaime’s bgs

Create Adnan’s game

Create Jaime’s game

Create Olivia’s game

Create Hiruni’s game

Create Olivia’s cp**

Create Jaime’s cp

Create Hiruni’s cp

Create intro***

Put everything together

CREATE

Developer’s Logs:

Group Developer’s Log #1 5/22 10:00--10:20 @Bsge

Olivia

Adnan started by creating the introduction for our project on our group scratch. He made the start and story sprite and coded it. Hiruni and I upload our sprites to our individual project.

Jaime

Adnan made part of the introduction, and we worked on our sprites. I was able to complete the first teacher for my game, but did not make Mr. L yet. The first teacher is a sprite that will be used if Mr. Laskowski does not approve of Mr. L. Overall I think we did very well and were very efficient in a span of 20 minutes.

Hiruni

We started with importing sprites and making the intro to our game. Adnan created the intro with the start button and the story. Olivia, Jaime, and I worked on uploading and creating new sprites. Jaime had to make a new sprite to temporarily replace the one she made before. I feel like we did a lot in that amount of time but maybe could’ve done a little more instead of spending too much time on making the sprites.

Adnan

Today Olivia  was working on making her sprites, she had uploaded the character of Mr. G and programed it to some things. Jaime was able to have scripts but still needs consent to remove the picture of the cat in place with the teacher is is working with. In the end I feel that we could have a done a little better but we still did a good job.

Group Developer’s Log #2 5/27 9:55-10:15 @Bsge

Olivia

During this period, Jaime and I weren't able to do anything. Our computers wouldn't load and the internet wouldn't work. Hiruni was able to work on her chrome part, and make some templates for it. Adnan was also able to work on his individual project and added more questions.                                             

Jaime

Hiruni made the chrome background and Adnan fixed up the introduction. Olivia and I didn't get to really do anything because of the bad internet. Adnan showed me how to make a variable for a scoreboard. Overall we didn't really do anything because the Internet was really slow.

Hiruni

I worked mostly on the good lunch scene (chrome) and adnan continued a little on the intro. We weren’t able to do much since the internet wasn’t working well. Olivia and Jaime were trying to load their websites during that time.

Adnan

I was able to make and complete the introduction of the group project however my partners were not able to do quite as much as I since they couldn’t access their computers right away. I also helped Jaime understand how to use the variable.  

Olivia’s Developer’s Log #3 5/28 8:25-9:50 PM @Home

Yes, I know I’m very behind but I believe that I can do this. Today, I worked hard to create my upload my backgrounds, started my information section, and begin writing and coding my questions. The only reason I’m behind schedule is because I’m ending up have a lot of more “Unavailable” days than I planned. But I’m going to work really hard these next few days to finish my project in time.

Group Developer’s Log #3 5/29 9:50--10:16 @Bsge

Olivia

Today, my websites actually loaded (after a while) and I was able to do some work. As a group, we decided that the time for the reader to read the info. would be different for each game. We also cleared up many misunderstanding about our projects. Today, I worked on reprograming my game and began my questions. Jaime finished her questions, and so did Adnan. Hiruni was working on her chrome and her individual project and got a lot done.

Adnan

Today I was able to make and almost finish my questions. I need to upload the picture of the classroom still however of Mr. A’s Room. Other than that I have minimal worries and will hopefully finish on time.

Jaime

We decided that 10 seconds for info-reading is too little, so we are all changing it to different times. For me, I’m changing it to 20 seconds. I finished my questions today, but I’m still worried because I still have my chrome part.

Hiruni

Today we got to finish a lot of work, compared to how much we usually get done. We discussed how the time for each individual project will not work for the group one. We worked on backgrounds and making our chrome parts. I feel like if I continue working like this I can finish in time. However if i don’t do some things that i planned before, I will not be able to do them in time so I need to manage my time better. Jaime finished her individual project questions, Adnan worked on fixing the intro characters.

Olivia’s Developer’s Log #4 5/30 9:51-10:33 @Home

On Saturday, I finished most of my project. I know I was way off schedule the entire week, but I was able to get my things done and I’m satisfied. On Saturday, I was able to finish my individual project, all except the information section. I still had my chrome left, but I knew it was easy and would be quick. I faced no challenges that day and I was able to finish everything quicker than I normally did.

Olivia’s Developer’s Log #5 6/01 11:28-11:40 @Bsge

During this working period, I worked at school. During school, I was able to get my information down onto my project and check over my other classmates’ work. During this session, Jaime helped me improve my project and gave me some tips. We were also able to fix some errors in both of our projects.

Olivia’s Developer’s Log #6 6/01 4:03-5:31 @Home

When I got home, I went straight to work on my project because I knew we had to put it all together later. I was able to finish my chrome part and edit my whole project in this time. After finishing the chrome, like I said, I went back and watched my project to make sure nothing was wrongs. Once I fixed everything, I declared my individual project done.

Group Developer’s Log #4 6/01 5:37-12:01 AM :O   (we have no shame because we have used it all up on this project)

Olivia

Today we were able to finish our project and work on it all together, and put it together. Since we can’t all go on the group account at once, we decided to all go on at different times, but we used google hangouts to talk and keep track. I think we worked well to finish this, the only problem would be the repetitive editing and revising. Jaime, Hiruni and I stayed to do this and we revised many times, while Adnan did his part and left. The only problem we had was that Mr. L came in too early and wouldn’t work properly. We worked really hard all 3 of us did, to try and fix it. But nothing worked. We tried so hard and spent so much time, and we were finally able to fix it in the end.

Adnan

Today we finished our project but we had to make new broadcasts so that one subject would transition into the next. However we had to remove the idea of allowing to choose the schedule otherwise it would be too confusing. It would require a lot more time to it. I however wasn’t able to help since I wasn’t there too see everyone put it together but my part was but up. However they were able to fix the problem and made the entire project move smoothly.  

Jaime

We finished everything. We used google hangouts, and we all worked very hard on this. Olivia, Hiruni and I did a lot of the editing because the game kept glitching. We decided to take away a schedule and just have one. My teacher, Mr. L, kept appearing in odd places. This was very frustrating, but we were finally able to fix it.

Hiruni

Today we finished up the whole project. It was a lot of work to do since we all worked on it at different times but we told each other what we were doing so no one will get lost. We tried to fix the sprites that kept on popping up all over the place but it was hard to fix it. Jaime, Olivia, and I tried taking turns to fix this. We made sure each others’ sprites were acting fine and their part of the project wasn’t going wrong. Adnan left earlier and wasn’t able to do much today. We didn’t know we would have to work this much, but we worked hard to get it done. We tried our very best to finish the project and make it run smoothly but glitches kept happening that required us to redo scripts which we did not have time to do. We really hoped that the game will turn out right because we don’t know what else to do if it glitches again.

Evaluate:

Final Project: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/63717018/

Olivia’s Individual Project + Chrome Part: <https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/63716768/#player>

1. I think that some strengths would be the fact that my project ran very smoothly and it was very informative about my topic. I think that my sprites were also very on time and didn’t clash or mess up like other projects.

2. To make my project better, I could have added more questions and maybe more sprites to act as a real classroom. I feel like if I did this my project would have been more interesting and exciting.

3. Other than my individual project, I also added a chrome part to the group project. My chrome part was making the sprite have a bad lunch if he/she gets less than 8 points. This made the game more interesting and fun. It was also used as a good transition.

4. I think that I could improve my group work by maybe not leaving things for last minute. Also none of us followed the schedule so everyone was kind of confused as well. This got my partners stressed at times, but we always followed through.

5. Jaime was always able to finish things when we needed her to finish them. I was always able to count on her to finish things quick and find all the errors in our project. Hiruni was always able to fix our problems. She was always around to help us and never refused to help, she was always able to cheer us on as well. Adnan was always able to figure the hard stuff out. When I needed help with hard coding, I asked him. Plus, he always finished things quick.

6. Jaime could have programmed her sprites, so that they would be easily fixed in the final project, but in the end we were able to fix it. Hiruni could have been more active on our chat so that we can comment while she worked, but she always came back on and did whatever she could to help. Adnan always left the chat and the work after he did his part. That left the rest of us to finish editing and testing the project, which was hard. But he did work quickly and got his part done.

Group Developer’s Log 6/05 9:39 @ BSGE Plan For Improvement

Olivia

For my part, I will be adding credits to our animation. This way we will be following all parts of the constraints and requirements. Hiruni will be animating the background to fit the whole project. Jaime will be adding music to all the “classes”. Adnan will be creating transitions for the sprites and have them walk into classroom.

Hiruni

For my part, I will be making the backgrounds animated so they look like cartoons not real places. Jaime will be working on the music for the project. Olivia will be adding the credits roll. Adnan will be creating the transitions between each class and the sprite entering and exiting.

Adnan

For my part, I will be creating the transitions between the sprite going from and to the other class and show it walking into the classroom for every class. Hiruni will make the backgrounds animated so that they don’t look like vague real places. Jaime is working on the music and olivia is making credits

Jaime

For my part, I will be doing music. I will add music to each “class” for the subjects. Hiruni

will be making backgrounds animated, Olivia will be adding credits, Adnan will be creating transitions.

My Class: Harry Potter theme song or

Olivia’s Class: Barbie “I’m Just Like You” music, or “Bad Blood” by Taylor Swift

Adnan’s Class: “A Thousand Miles” by Vanessa Carlton or “Hall of Fame” by The Script

Hiruni’s Class: “I Really Don’t Care” by Demi Lovato, or “Dynamite”

TheSourPatchKids

by: 20islama

Investigate: Overall Idea: The sprite attends the school VSGE--Virtual School of Global Education. The sprite starts off outside the school, and to get in, the player clicks the door. Once inside, there is a screen that says “Welcome to VSGE--the Virtual School of Global Education. Your schedule is Spanish, Humanities, Math, then Science. Your goal is to earn at least 8 points before lunch and get some popularity. In each class, the player gets 20 seconds to read as much information as possible before class starts. The player is then asked 3 multiple choice questions for each class, and if answered correctly, gets two points each question. After class two ends, if the sprite has less than 8 points, it sits alone and eats disgusting school lunch--this causes the sprite to be sad, deducting 2 points from the player. If the sprite has 8 or more points, the sprite sits with friends and eats good home food--this causes the sprite to be happy, adding 2 points to the player. Afterwards, the sprite takes 2 more classes. At the end, the sprite walks home. Four Mini Games (Four Subjects): Spanish-- Olivia (Mr.G) Humanities-- Adnan (Mr.A) Science-- Jaime (Mr. L or Mrs.J) Math-- Hiruni (Mr. M) Individual Project for Adnan Islam Game Mechanics: Answer humanities/history based questions about the federal government and the Constitution Objectives: Earn 2 points for each question answered correctly Obstacles: Time limit of 10 seconds to read the paragraph of info. Chrome: What teacher looks like, what room looks like, does the part where the player is walking to school Design: Game Mechanics: Player must choose what classes they want to go to, get through everyday school obstacles (like choosing school food and getting to classes). They enter the school and choose which two classes to take first. Then they have to answer as many questions as they can correctly. Obstacles: Time limit of 10 seconds in class for reading the paragraphs and questions. The player must be able to read paragraphs in 10 seconds and/or answer 3 questions in that same time limit. Paragraphs will be mostly found in the Humanities level. Objective: Earn enough points to gain popularity at lunch and eat good food instead of school lunch. Earn at least 8 points before lunch to eat the good food and sit with your friends. Earn extra popularity points if you do this. Earn less than 8 points before lunch, then you get the bad food and sit alone. Chrome: Player walking to school, eating bad lunch and sitting alone OR eating good lunch and sitting wherever s/he wants (depending on # of points earned), walking home after school end, graphics, type of characters and backgrounds. The type of characters look like actual teachers and backgrounds look like our actual classes. Design Individual Product For Adnan: Humanities topic: How does our federal government work and how has it become what it is today? Humanities Information: Our government was not originally the one we have today, it was originally named the Articles of Confederation. This government crashed and then another one was created but this time they made sure it wouldn’t fail again. The reason they originally failed is because they did not have a good distribution of power. They gave the government very limited power which was because they didn’t want to be like the British Empire however too little power was not sufficient enough. they had to recreate the government which was difficult since the states didn’t accept themselves as a country yet. When the states began to realize they were becoming a country they began voting on whether or not we should have the constitution we have today. Presidents also have a very strange way of being voted, but the only reason it is so complex is because it was a compromise. Presidents have an electoral college system that runs on electoral votes which are basically the population divided by 33,000 and added by 2. When counting the population states with many slaves wanted slaves to be counted as a person however states with little amounts of slaves wanted them to not count at all which is understandable. However they ended up making a slave count as ⅗ fifths of a person and the number would always be rounded down in the number of electoral votes. The more electoral votes, the more say you have in who becomes president. Humanities Questions: What was the name of the compromise that said how much slave was worth when counting the population? The Great Slave Compromise. b. The ⅗ Slave compromise c. The Virginia Plan 2. How would the number of electoral votes be found out, what numbers are used? By taking the population including the slaves and dividing it by 33,000 along with adding 2 By taking the population including ⅗ of the slave population and dividing it by 33,000 and adding by 2. Adding all the population and dividing it by 2. 3. Why did the Articles of confederation make the citizens overpowered while they gave the government so little? They didn’t want the government to end up in dictatorship. They didn’t want the government to end up like the British empire and their hated ways. All of the above Mr.A: Plan: Resources Tools: Computer, Scratch.com, creative commons, Google, mywebface.com Materials: Sprites from Mywebface and Scratch, classroom backgrounds, school backgrounds, Scripts/Blocks: If then else, when green flag clicked, when this sprite clicked, etc. Location: School, Google Hangouts, Google Doc. Chat Time: 12 Days Money: $0.00 Labor: Olivia: Sprite at lunch with bad food, individual game Jaime: Sprite going home, individual game Hiruni: Sprite at lunch with good food, sprite in math class (individual game) Adnan: Introduction, how to start game. Make sprite enter school and select subject and then upload the subject that has been selected. Individual game Action Plan:

Adnan’s Developers Log #3 2/28 10:00-10:30 @Home I created my individual project and have programmed it to do very little. I plan to do more sooner. Eventually we will get together and combine all our project into one big project that will hopefully be successful. While making the individual project it felt as though I wasn’t working efficient enough and must work harder Group Developer’s Log #3 5/29 9:50--10:16 @Bsge Olivia Today, my websites actually loaded (after a while) and I was able to do some work. As a group, we decided that the time for the reader to read the info. would be different for each game. We also cleared up many misunderstanding about our projects. Today, I worked on reprograming my game and began my questions. Jaime finished her questions, and so did Adnan. Hiruni was working on her chrome and her individual project and got a lot done. Adnan Today I was able to make and almost finish my questions. I need to upload the picture of the classroom still however of Mr. A’s Room. Other than that I have minimal worries and will hopefully finish on time. Jaime We decided that 10 seconds for info-reading is too little, so we are all changing it to different times. For me, I’m changing it to 20 seconds. I finished my questions today, but I’m still worried because I still have my chrome part. Hiruni Today we got to finish a lot of work, compared to how much we usually get done. We discussed how the time for each individual project will not work for the group one. We worked on backgrounds and making our chrome parts. I feel like if I continue working like this I can finish in time. However if i don’t do some things that i planned before, I will not be able to do them in time so I need to manage my time better. Jaime finished her individual project questions, Adnan worked on fixing the intro characters. Group Developer’s Log #4 6/01 5:37-12:01 AM :O (we have no shame because we have used it all up on this project) Olivia Today we were able to finish our project and work on it all together, and put it together. Since we can’t all go on the group account at once, we decided to all go on at different times, but we used google hangouts to talk and keep track. I think we worked well to finish this, the only problem would be the repetitive editing and revising. Jaime, Hiruni and I stayed to do this and we revised many times, while Adnan did his part and left. The only problem we had was that Mr. L came in too early and wouldn’t work properly. We worked really hard all 3 of us did, to try and fix it. But nothing worked. We tried so hard and spent so much time, and we were finally able to fix it in the end. Adnan Today we finished our project but we had to make new broadcasts so that one subject would transition into the next. However we had to remove the idea of allowing to choose the schedule otherwise it would be too confusing. It would require a lot more time to it. I however wasn’t able to help since I wasn’t there too see everyone put it together but my part was but up. However they were able to fix the problem and made the entire project move smoothly. Jaime We finished everything. We used google hangouts, and we all worked very hard on this. Olivia, Hiruni and I did a lot of the editing because the game kept glitching. We decided to take away a schedule and just have one. My teacher, Mr. L, kept appearing in odd places. This was very frustrating, but we were finally able to fix it. Hiruni Today we finished up the whole project. It was a lot of work to do since we all worked on it at different times but we told each other what we were doing so no one will get lost. We tried to fix the sprites that kept on popping up all over the place but it was hard to fix it. Jaime, Olivia, and I tried taking turns to fix this. We made sure each others’ sprites were acting fine and their part of the project wasn’t going wrong. Adnan left earlier and wasn’t able to do much today. We didn’t know we would have to work this much, but we worked hard to get it done. We tried our very best to finish the project and make it run smoothly but glitches kept happening that required us to redo scripts which we did not have time to do. We really hoped that the game will turn out right because we don’t know what else to do if it glitches again. Adnan’s Individual Project: 1.I think the introduction was nice way to start the game also the touch we had with the lunch and how your score affected how you were treated. I also like how hiruni made her project making the choices a button. 2.I could have made the game a little more difficult with a lot more critical thinking questions. I also could have used a timer but when I tried it would not follow as wanted. 3.I created the introduction which would make the transition to each of the separate projects. I also had to make an option to start the game and then make sure that it followed through properly. 4.I could have made it longer by making the transitions between the intro to the subjects a lot more smoothly and show the character walking to each of the classrooms. 5.Olivia helped in removing the option of selecting which schedule and made sure that the motion was working correctly. Jaime also did the same by helping on making sure that there was no disturbance in the schedule from the other schedule. Jaime also created the ending where the character left school and walks home. Hiruni created lunch for the player. It depended on the player's score whether or whether not it would get a good lunch and be treated nicely. 6.Olivia could have tried to make the schedule selective however it wasn’t an easy job. I would have been able to do it but I had left and was unaware of a lot of problems so it isn’t her fault. Jaime created the house which was great but what could be improved was if she also showed the school and the house so that the ending would seem longer. Hiruni also could have made the lunch selective so that the person could choose food he/ she wants to get. I gave my group a 2 on skill D because we followed all requirements and constraints except one. We did not put a credits roll in our animation, we only put it in the notes and credits section on the project page. (Olivia Skill D for evaluations) Group Developer’s Log 6/05 9:39 @ BSGE Plan For Improvement Olivia For my part, I will be adding credits to our animation. This way we will be following all parts of the constraints and requirements. Hiruni will be animating the background to fit the whole project. Jaime will be adding music to all the “classes”. Adnan will be creating transitions for the sprites and have them walk into classroom. Hiruni For my part, I will be making the backgrounds animated so they look like cartoons not real places. Jaime will be working on the music for the project. Olivia will be adding the credits roll. Adnan will be creating the transitions between each class and the sprite entering and exiting. Adnan For my part, I will be creating the transitions between the sprite going from and to the other class and show it walking into the classroom for every class. Hiruni will make the backgrounds animated so that they don’t look like vague real places. Jaime is working on the music and olivia is making credits Jaime For my part, I will be doing music. I will add music to each “class” for the subjects. Hiruni will be making backgrounds animated, Olivia will be adding credits, Adnan will be creating transitions. My Class: Harry Potter theme song or Olivia’s Class: Barbie “I’m Just Like You” music, or “Bad Blood” by Taylor Swift Adnan’s Class: “A Thousand Miles” by Vanessa Carlton or “Hall of Fame” by The Script Hiruni’s Class: “I Really Don’t Care” by Demi Lovato, or “Dynamite” Cartoonize: http://kusocartoon.com/photo-to-cartoon.php

My project

Group Project

Devious Dungeon

by: 20cheungr
Choose A World

Investigate

Rachael: I will be focusing on math. I will be making it anime-themed. It will be an RPG game. The player will be controlling a character, which will be from the anime called Black Butler. It would be about the character racing to complete many chores. The chrome will be the music, and it will be the anime itself, since it is popular. (Math)

Design

Game Mechanics:

Rachael:

1. Rules: There are no rules, but if there were rules, they would be very basic ones. It is basically just a story, where you follow along, and answer questions. If you get a question wrong, then you go back to the previous checkpoint.

2. Game Play: The player will answer mathematical questions of seventh grade context.

3. User Interface: The user will only type in integral answers.

Objectives:

Rachael:

1. Story: You enter the Phantomhive manor, and discover that there is a note that Ciel’s parents had left on their desk before they passed away. It leads you to a secret chamber, where you have to pass through many, many, rooms, where you learn mathematics, and have to answer a couple of questions to get through that room. At the end, you will reach the treasure, which would be kept a secret.

2. Character: The player would most likely be Sebastian or Ciel, depending on what context I choose. There will be enemies like Grell, the Angel, or regular thieves.

3. Levels: There would not really be levels, but one game, with increasingly hard questions.

Obstacles:

Rachael: There will be very challenging questions, including critical thinking questions. The characters in my game will first, when they enter the tunnel, play a small game to reach the place where the learning begins. Afterward, they then would have to answer questions that get harder to answer over time.

Chrome:

Rachael: I will add music from the anime, as background music. Also, I will add some “motivational” words on the side. For example, I might include, “Is that all you can do?”

Plan

Resources:

• Tools:

• Materials

• Sprites  

• Backgrounds

• Labor:

• Anab, Helen, Shoumik, and Rachel

• Each will create a game to contribute to the final group collaboration.

• In the final collaboration, each person will contribute a bit

• Time: 20 hours

• Money: $0

• Location:

• BSGE

• Library

• Tech Room

• Home

Action Plan:

5/19

5/20

5/21

5/22

5/23

5/24

5/25

5/26

5/27

5/28

5/29

5/30

5/31

Shoumik Enemy Sprites

Shoumik

Boss Sprites

Shoumik Academic Questions

Shoumik

Back- grounds

Shoumik Creating Animation

Helen

Music

Helen

Backgrounds and Backdrops

Helen

Questions

Helen Emeny Sprites

Helen Sprites and Boss Sprites

Helen Game Animation

Anab

Khan Back- grounds

Anab Enemy Sprites

Anab

Boss Sprites and Character.

Anab

Traps

Anab Academic Questions

Anab

Music

Anab Animation

Rachael Sprites

Rachael

Background

Rachael Opening Story

Rachael Questions

Rachael Music

Rachael Animation

Opening Scene

Group

Project

Credits

Putting together the whole project

Shoumik

Helen

Anab

Rachael

Create

Rachael:

Developer’s Log #1:

5/21/15, 2:05, Tech Room

I decided what my project would be based, on, which is the anime Black Butler.

I found images online to use a sprites, but they were not creative commons. I browsed through the web to find a pixel art website,where work can be saved, and I came across piskelapp.com.

Developer’s Log #2:

5/23 3:00 PM, Home

I started creating my sprites. Although I am a little behind schedule, I should be able to catch up. Instead of making my sprites do chores, I decided to make it an animation, where they would learn things to finally answer questions. I finished two of the characters- Ciel and Sebastian. I should be able to finish during my next session.

Developers Log #3:

5/26 1:30PM At School Technology Room

I finished creating my sprites, and I started to work on my backgrounds. All the images for rooms in the Phantomhive Manor were copyrighted, and none were labeled for noncommercial reuse with modification. Therefore, I had to find images as inspiration, and draw them using piskelapp.com. Setting up everything was more time-consuming than I expected. I needed to draw 5 backgrounds, and I am halfway done. I should be able to be done.

Developer’s Log #4:

5/27/15 7:00 PM At Home

I completed two more backgrounds, burt I am very behind schedule. I am not up to date with my Gantt chart, but I should be able to finish everything by grouping several tasks into one day, to finish it in time.

Developer’s Log #5:

5/28 1:55PM At School Technology Room

I finished creating my backgrounds, and I uploaded them onto my scratch project page.

Next session, I should be able to go and start the animation of my project.

Developer’s Log #6:

5/30/15 6:45PM Home

I finished animating half of my animation for the game. I should finish tomorrow, because I got the music and everything. I am somewhat closer to my schedule now, but still behind. There were problems trying to get other group members to put sources onto the sources document I had shared with them, so that I can make the credits roll.

Developer’s Log #7:

5/31/15 4:50 PM At Home

I am almost done animating, and came up with the questions. Somewhere in the middle, my project didnt get saved, so I am a little behind. I decided to take out the chrome part, because it was too hard to find a way to input it in the project.

Developer’s Log #8:

5/31/15 8:00PM At Home

One of the group members accidentally deleted their game, so we should hand it in late. I am nearly done with my animation, and should start the credits roll soon enough. The problem is that another group members didn’t show up, so the three other group members (including me), had to decide that without him/her. It was problematic, because their game was not very fitting of what he/she had told us about in the investigation, or in class. It also would cause trouble because we had reached a decision with his/her consent, but it was most likely their fault for not being here when we had said that we would continue on here.

Evaluate

Rachael’s Individual:

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/65058476/

Reflection:

1. Some strengths of this project was the work everyone put in, even when some of us weren’t very experienced in Scratch, we all ended with success.

2. I could’ve made my game more animated.

3. If we had time and were able to talk to each other outside school more easily, the work could’ve been better and easier.

4.  Everyone had a good part in the project, I helped anab with the pixel art, Anab advised everyone, Helen did a lot of help with the final project, and SHoumik made sure everything went on well.

5. IF we were to improve, maybe Helen could’ve added more levels, Anab could’ve changed the aspects of his remixed game a little bit more, and Shoumik could’ve  been more active to collaborate with us. As a group, I think we should’ve been a lot more active.

Group Developer’s Log#5:  Plan for Improvement

6/3 1:25PM Technology Room

Rachael: I need to work on the variables, about how when a diagram is shown, it is closed with either pressing the spacebar or the “d” key. However, this may interfere with the user, if he/she accidentally presses the button by accident during another game, and my project shows up.

Helen: I want to work on my individual project and the chrome of my game because the boss level isn’t as good as i imagined it to be.

For example, I should make the hollows (monsters and obstacles) more animated so that it is more interesting. Also, I should’ve added music because I forgot to and it made the game a bit plain.

Anab: I want to fix the glitch that my game had.  It glitches and I don’t know why. I also want to add bosses in my project. It would make it more interesting. I would improve the glitches that occur in my game. For example, there is a glitch where even if you get the question right, you lose a life.

Shoumik: If I had the chance to improve the group project, I would have helped my group I would help my group mates improve all of the glitches that appear, in the group project. There were lots of annoying glitches that made the game seem incomplete, and yeah.

We talked as a group and agreed that we should have worked our individual project.

---------------------------------------------------------

Overall, as a good, we didn't really cooperate with each other as much as we should have, but still got everything done.

I had contributed my mathematical Black Butler animation for the group project, and finalized the group's game.

<iframe allowtransparency="true" width="485" height="402" src="//scratch.mit.edu/projects/embed/65025008/?autostart=false" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rachael:

Unit 4: The race-i-fication of the constitution

by: 20kennya

<iframe allowtransparency="true" width="485" height="402" src="//scratch.mit.edu/projects/embed/63565640/?autostart=false" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

“I want to make a race in which the player must get a question correct in order to advance, and there will be obstacles to jump over things inspired by Mr. Jump from the app store Additionally, after each series of obstacles the players will be tested and must succeed in order to continue moving forward in the game. After this is complete I think that our games should be put together in a hub to make the game seem more professional, i also think that our games do not need to have a running theme throughout and that no two games should have the same theme running throughout them. ”- Aoife Obstacles- Not knowing the answer to a question- Aoife A race in which player must get a question correct in order to advance, the general story is that the player is racing to get back home. -Aoife Plan Resources - Scratch, computers, wifi Money- $0 Tools- computers, chrome, slow browser thats just there so u can get chrome, scratch.mit.edu Materials: sprites, backgrounds, scratch. Labor- Aoife, Rishi, lily, Mohammed we will all make our own individual project and we will all put them together in a hub. Location- School, home, cafe’s Create Task 5 / 2 0 5 / 2 1 5 / 2 2 5 / 2 3 5 / 2 4 5 / 2 5 5 / 2 6 5 / 2 7 5 / 2 8 5 / 2 9 5 / 3 0 5 / 3 1 A sprites a a M sprites m m R sprites r L sprites l l A animate a a a a a M animate m m m m m R animate r r r r r L animate l l l l l l l put together final project r r r r Aoife- I worked on my individual project, and I got a lot of work done I should be finished soon, i might add some more questions and maybe some levels or extra features but i'm not sure if they are necessary or if they will make the game better.

Lily - I did most of the basic work for my project in about 45 minutes. I am now ahead of schedule by 2 tasks. I also helped a little bit on the group project, I decided to make a music project.

Mohammed - I think that I am making pretty good progress in terms of my confidence with  what I’ve done, although I doubt that I have made very much progress. I have only made all of the aesthetic features, but I am yet to make progress on the actual scripts and such

Aoife - I finished my project and it is completed. I began to work on the group project, and have begun to try putting some of the projects together in a hub as rishi has not finished his individual project yet so thats why i'm helping make the hub.

Developers Log June 3rd Ideas for “Improvement”

Aoife-  So basically we decided to link our games together properly and to eliminate all the bugs that came with our game meaning we would have to change some of the scripts.

Lily- so basically, to fix our  project, we need to make sure that our project matches up perfectly and there is no awkward pause and stuff. So far, I’ve been trying to get my project to connect

Rishi : I need to fix some bugs in my project and link together the projects into one better - it’s still buggy. some of the things aren’t working.

Mohammed - In order to fix up our project, we have decided that it would be necessary to properly connect our projects, because this wasn’t done so very well before, and this led to minor glitches in the project. So far, I have fixed the glitches on my part of the project and I am going to be working to help on fixing the project as a whole.

Ayiti: The Cost of Life, and, how to win it

by: 20karimr

In the game Ayiti: The Cost of Life, you must help a family suffering from poverty survive in Haiti, and you have five family members, and you can send them to school, work, farm, or the hospital when they get sick. On my first tow tries I sent the father to work at the Rum Distiller, and he died both times, lowering the family income. This affected me greatly because without him working and all the other ones did not have very high pay jobs, when they finally got sick I didn't have much to pay the Hospital to save them and they all died from something like Cholera (Bloody Diarrhea). The second time as soon as the father died, the mother soon followed, and I got a message saying that without guardians the children could not go on alone and were sent to live with their nearby family, who could support them. This struck me as odd because why didn't they go live with this family before or why didn't the family support them when they were all dying? However this is not the point. On my third and final try, I managed to keep one family member alive by doing exchanges between where everyone was working. First, I put 3 people at work, and 2 on the farm, then exchanged them a bit, and whenever someone got sick i let them die because i was in negative money already and i couldn't afford the hospital anyway so I dint waste extra money knowing that they would die anyway. In the end i survived with inly the mother with 0 of every statistic, and some random sickness. I won the game but I am fairly sure that this lady died three seconds after the four years were over, the rate she was going at.

Family Restaurant

by: cisaacman

This past week on Tuesday Drama A created a scene using improvisation which is titled "Family Restaurant". During the scene the family set up for business, invited customers, served food and dealt with being the restaurant being held up.

What occurred to me watching the scene and taking pictures is that as a class creating a scene that just about everyone was involved in was that students incorporating props and costume pieces as well as using some set pieces like the classroom tables and chairs were creating a theater space and defining their making of theater as well as creating thier theater space. Also, after all of the work with text, a class needs to use props and costume pieces and set pieces, as well as make up in order to make a scene come alive.

Ayiti: The Cost of Life

by: 20iazzagm

The game Ayiti: The Cost of Life is a computer game where a family of five lives throughout four years. It is the player's job to take care of the family by putting them to work, buying them their needs, and getting them an education so that they can live throughout all four years. Obstacles the characters may go through are losing money, getting sick, and all of the characters dying off. I'll tell you how I did.

I played the game a total of four times.

The first time I played, I managed to kill off the entire family in the first part of the year(whoo hoo me, right?). I made them work too much and didn't know how to play. I was buying things uncontrollably, because my money wasn't going down. Then I realized that when I clicked "start season, THAT was when the money I used to pay for the things I bought actually got paid. I ended up having negative amounts of money. Did I mention I killed off the whole family by accident?

The second time I played, the family lived for one season longer than before. Then they died of a cold. All of them. I also forgot to take them to school to get educated and have a good job, so the family was broke.

The third time I played, I was doing better, and made it through two full years. Then the family started getting sick of chlorela and a cold. Of the five family members, the mother and the daughter were left. Then the daughter and the mom had vitamin deficiency, but I couldn't go to the doctor, because I had lost all my money. They ended up dying, and that was when I lost the game.

By the fourth time I played, I just gave up and decided to cheat. I had to look up "how to win the game Ayiti: The Cost of Life". Then I learned tricks to playing the game, and was playing the last season of the fourth year. I thought I was going to win. Then the father AND the mother got sick and died. The children couldn't be left alone, so I lost the game.

The game was a really educational one. It showed how hard it was to give a family its basic needs, let alone having them go to school and then getting a diploma. It shows how hard people work to stay alive and try to live life to the fullest. That, I feel (despite all my epic fails) is really the point of the game. It's to show people how hard some others work to have the best lives possible.

*To anyone who wants to play the game, here's the link to it

https://ayiti.globalkids.org/game/

Strategies for Ayiti: The Cost of Life

Ayiti: The Cost of Life

I found this game mildly interesting. My first time playing, on purpose, I experimented with the game and tried to test what each character could do. All the characters died by the Hurricane Season.
My second time playing, I wanted to get them to work, so I sent the parents to work and the children to work at the farm. I lost so much money so quickly, they all died before the end of the second year.
My third time playing, I sent the parents as volunteers and let the children stay at home. The children died after the first year, but surprisingly, the parents seemed to stay alive. I let them rest from Years 2-4, and for some reason I won. This isn't a perfect strategy, but somehow, I won.

Playing Ayiti

by: 20mancham

"Ayiti; The Cost of Life" is a very good game. This game is about a family of 5 attempting to survive in Haiti. The family is dwelling in poverty and it is now up to the players to make sure that they survive the poverty and, in the process, go on to become great people with a better future than they had in their children, within the game. There are 5 sprites within the game that the player has control over; Jean, Marie, Patrick, Jacquline, and Yves. The rules of the game are simple, yet very hard to surpass; the parents must survive, the family must be happy, and the family must have money. The game takes over a span of 4 years and 16 seasons (4 seasons per year), within the family's perspective/perception of duration. The games objective is to make strategies for the family to survive the 4 years, with enough health, money, and happiness.
When I first played, "Ayiti; The Cost of Life", the game was immediately over. The directions and some of the features of the game were not clearly stated. Sometimes the purpose behind the actions and decisions were not clearly explained. Some examples were the shopping features, the shopping items in sale, and the volunteer work. Due to the fact that it was not clearly stated and/or their purpose explained, I had to be taught the hard way, through trial and error. Such constant trial and error decisions the family's inevitable imminent demise. However, this prepared me for the next time that I would be perfect at it.
When I played, for a second time, "Ayiti; The Cost of Life", I won. The main principle that I utilized to win was that I maintained balance. There was a balance point between all the options. I maintained a balance between money, health, happiness, and education. This game is very daring. One has to be very daring when playing this game. Sometimes maintaining the balance was very scary and it was tempting to break the balance. I had to be very strict, evening when most of my characters were dying. One has to be courageous and not be afraid to change their original strategy. I did not have any sympathy for the characters. Yes, sometimes the characters had to dwell in terrible living conditions, yet it was for the best and for their inevitable survival. Even though it may seem tempting and the right thing to do, do not give up!
I really liked this game. Hence, I came back to play another time. This time I wanted to switch up the and focus more on the money. I focused on making more profits than focusing/investing on the family' happiness and education. The end result was even better. I saw that the money was central to the family's survival. With money, you can make the education, health, and happiness that the family requires/mandates, within the sanctuary of this game. Although this was cruel to the family, as short-term effects, however, as the long-term effects, it brought/bestowed more festivity/prosperity amongst the family. Playing with this strategy had it flaws and playing with this strategy also had its advantages. However, in the end, in the aftermath, in the long-term effect, this strategy pre-dominates the others.