All news in From the Middle (6-8)

Dance Pantume

by: NatalieW
the chair

I dance
I love it
Two days a week
Sometimes three or for days

I love it
To dance
Sometimes three or for days
I danced March 30th at the Santa Cruz Warriors half time

To dance
It is so fun
Guess what "What"?

It is so fun
Two days a week
Guess what "What"?
I dance

The Assasination

by: JacksonT

The showing of “My American Cousin”, Fords Theater, April 1865, through the eyes of John Wilkes Booth.

Leaving my horse in the alley I stepped inside the backdoor of the theater. Slowly I descended the stairway leading towards the the presidential box. I become nervous and think about turning back, but I must for the glorious Confederacy. This man brought about its downfall so I shall bring his. I turn the corner and Mr. and Mrs. Rathbone come into view as well as Mr. and Mrs. Lincoln. I walk towards the president, pulling a Derringer from my coat and taking aim I pull the trigger, my task has been completed.

After shooting the president Booth jumped onto the stage and shouted “Sic Semper Tyrannis”, breaking his leg. He managed to escape immediate punishment but not long after he was found by Union cavalry who shot him in the neck while trying to escape.

The Hike

by: NayomiA

Taking a hike was a horrible idea my legs are sore and my feet are aching. “ Walking in nature can be fun”, Those were the last words I heard my father say oh how I wish he was here we both got lost and I can’t find anyone to help, if my dad was here he would tell me to keep going. so I kept walking when I came up and saw the mountains i looked around and saw an abandoned couch. I was so happy to see a couch I was excited to take a nap I ran and jumped on it and began to sleep. The next morning, I woke up all I could see was the blue sky and the hard dirt floor. I got up and took my stuff to get some food. When I saw some berries and fruit trees I picked an apple from the tree and left. I walked back to where the couch was when I saw a man on the couch already I walked to try to get a better look but the man started to get up so I ran threw the forest until I saw some tall flowers spread around on the mountain floor I picked some to smell them but I heard footsteps coming toward me I stood still I felt someone place their hand on my shoulder I turned around slowly I was surprised to see who it was.To be continued

The Hike

by: NayomiA

Taking a hike was a horrible idea my legs are sore and my feet are aching. “ Walking in nature can be fun”, Those were the last words I heard my father say oh how I wish he was here we both got lost and I can’t find anyone to help, if my dad was here he would tell me to keep going. so I kept walking when I came up and saw the mountains i looked around and saw an abandoned couch. I was so happy to see a couch I was excited to take a nap I ran and jumped on it and began to sleep. The next morning, I woke up all I could see was the blue sky and the hard dirt floor. I got up and took my stuff to get some food. When I saw some berries and fruit trees I picked an apple from the tree and left. I walked back to where the couch was when I saw a man on the couch already I walked to try to get a better look but the man started to get up so I ran threw the forest until i saw some tall flowers spread around on the mountain floor i picked some to smell them but i heard footsteps coming toward me i stood still i felt someone place their hand on my shoulder i turned around slowly i was surprised to see who it was.To be continued

A Place of Comfort

by: OscarD

I start at school
then leave campus
Later I grab my bike
And start heading home
Across six streets
Down two hills
In one house
Beneath one roof
Above one floor
Close to a T.V
Is my bed
One Of my places of comfort

A Place of Comfort

by: OscarD

I start at school
then leave campus
Later I grab my bike
And start heading home
Across six streets
Down two mountains
In one house
Beneath one roof
Above one floor
Close to a T.V
Is my bed
One Of my places of comfort

Is it right to eat animals?

by: 18machs

“Not responding is a response--we are equally responsible for what we don't do. In the case of animal slaughter, to throw your hands in the air is to wrap your fingers around a knife handle.”

Doing nothing is also a crime. To continue to consume meat on a daily basis is something that is wrong anf also not doing nothing, it is supporting to slaughter animals.

“Do you eat chicken because you are familiar with the scientific literature on them and have decided that their suffering doesn't matter, or do you do it because it tastes good?”

We eat meat not because we believe that animals should be slaughtered, we eat it because it is delicious and we enjoy eating it. It is a basic part of our meals and we don’t consider what is being done to get it on our plates.

“You can call your turkey organic and torture it daily. ”

Getting organic food does not solve the problem of animals being slaughtered for food. It is pretty much as bad as plainly eating meat from regular places.

I think that eating animals is a very controversial issue that has many arguments. On one hand, animals are living things and they deserve to live as much as we do. On the other hand, animals are abundant and is a good source of food for humans. It is hard to decide which one is more reasonable and right. Most people, like myself, have grown up eating meat and and plan to continue to. It is a hard task to completely stop eating meat and most enjoy it as a food. However, with this argument that eating meat could be a moral issue, people like vegetarians have given them up for the sake of animals. Although i do feel sympathy for animals, it would still be hard to give up eating them.

The Jungle Collage Essay

by: 18wongj

Quote Sandwiches

In The Jungle the narrator says, “He was burning up with fever, and his eyes were running sores; in the daytime he was a thing uncanny and impish to behold, a plaster of pimples and sweat, a great purple lump of misery” (Sinclair 152).

This is important because it shows how all of Jurgis’ family were getting plagued with illness and disease including himself.

In the Jungle the narrator says, “They were beaten; they had lost the game, they were swept aside”(Sinclair 149).

This is important because it tells what happened to Jurgis’ family even though they had tried so hard to keep afloat.

In The Jungle the narrator says, “They had been overworked and underfed so long, and finally some disease had laid them on their backs; or they had cut themselves, and had blood poisoning, or met with some other accident”(Sinclair 136).
This is important because it showed what happened to most men who worked in the stockyards.

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

by: 18ChenAM

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke is a very interesting fiction book. It starts out with two characters: Meggie, and her father Mo. Soon, a strange man comes to their house. His name is Dustfinger. He tells Mo something, and obviously Mo is alarmed. He takes Meggie and Dustfinger to Elinor, his aunt-in-law. He makes an excuse saying that he promised to fix the bindings of her books, which he did. Soon, Meggie, Mo, and Elinor gets mixed up in some trouble. Mo gets captured by Capricorn, an evil man who was far from home. Meggie finds out the secret her father has been hiding since forever. He can read things out of books, but when they come out, things from their world go into the book. This is what happened to Meggie's mother. They try to find a way to get rid of Capricorn and his minions, and that involves getting Fegnolio, the author of the book where Capricorn and Dustfinger come from. He comes up with an idea, and eventually, all the evil men that stood by Capricorn disappeared. Meggie was able to reunite with her mother after a very long time.

There are many things that happen in the book that seem to be similar to things that are happening in the news. One example is when Meggie, Elinor, and Dustfinger drive into a creepy/shady environment, in which Elinor and Meggie are imprisoned along with Mo. This reminds me of an article in the news where a young girl was walking home from school. She had to walk through a pretty scary neighborhood to get home, and one day, while traveling home, she was attacked and raped. This shows that although you can be walking without any bad intention, just wanting to get somewhere, you can still somehow have something bad happen to you. It really isn’t fair when innocent people are hurt for doing things that don’t harm anyone.

You can see a lot of common themes/patterns running through the book. One example of a pattern Mo starts acting suspicious. Meggie, becomes very curious of what her father is hiding from her. Soon, she finds out what her father is hiding, why they had to leave, and what happened to her mother. After finding out, her life just get more and more complicated. She starts facing a lot of troubles along the way. Another book(s) where a pattern similar to this happened would be the Spiderwick Chronicles. In this series, the Grace children find out about a secret world that their ancestor had been studying. As soon as they start seeing this world, life gets much harder for them. They start facing things that children their age would never dream of facing in real life. At the end of both books, the problem was resolved.

This book is very interesting, and I would recommend you read it. It's a great book to just read when you're relaxing, or before you go to bed.

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

by: 18ChenAM