All news in From the Middle (6-8)

Money is wicked

by: kluong

Would your family’s income affect your education? Yes, it does because some schools cost money and some families are too poor to afford school supplies or stuff for kids.
Parents often have problems with supporting their kids due to minimum wages, bills, food, and etc. Even schools can get affected by this, like how students can be late due to no transportation, no money for field trips/ prom, and low on school supplies.

Some schools cost money like catholic schools and uniforms/other materials needed for schools that some families might not be able to afford. For example, in Harry Potter Ronald Weasley lives in poor family and could not afford to buy to his own wand for school so he had to use his brother’s old one. But what if you don’t have a brother or sister and you could not find a way to afford the supplies. My cousin’s school requires that you have to buy your own textbooks that cost 50 to 80 dollars for just a single textbook.

Some students might not have transportation, money for field trip, or prom. I read on Sherman Alexie and The Part Time Indian, the main character Arnold Spirit comes from a poor family, he can barely get to school due to his parents not having enough money for gas to get him to school and he finds excuses to get himself out of proms and field trips since he doesn't have enough money.

Students who don’t receive funding often do not have as many opportunities for academic success compared to students who come from wealthier backgrounds who do not have to worry about struggling with school payments. In addition, private schools and schools located in wealthier areas have better learning equipment, higher quality staff, and facilities. I recently watched a TV show about a Korean girl who just moved to a rich private school and everybody is super rich and she got accepted there for saving a student that wanted to kill himself since the other kids are bullying him like nothing happened and the girl was different from the other kids because she did not have all the rich stuff like her other classmates so it lowers learning.

Schools should care because not all students have a good funding. Schools should give everyone a fair chance for materials, field trips, prom, and etc. So everyone does not feel bad because they are not as financial as some of the other students that can afford for all those school stuff.

Police Brutality

Ersula Ore. Eric Garner. Jahmil-El Cuffee. Rosan Miller. Marlene Pinnock. Al Flowers. Alonzo Grant. This is just a sample of the men and women who have been savagely, and unnecessarily, beaten by police officers this summer.

Garner's case, in which an NYPD officer used a chokehold to restrain the 43-year-old Staten Island father, resulted in death. Since then, the topic of "police brutality" has gained momentum nationwide and has sparked outcry from elected officials and community members asking for police reform.

The word "brutality" has several meanings; the sense used here (savage cruelty) was first used in 1633. The term "police brutality" was in use in the American press as early as 1872, when the Chicago Tribune reported on the beating of a civilian under arrest at the Harrison Street Police Station.

The origin of 'modern' policing based on the authority of the nation state is commonly traced back to developments in seventeenth and eighteenth century France, with modern police departments being established in most nations by the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Cases of police brutality appear to have been frequent then, with the routine of citizens by patrolmen armed with nightsticks or blackjacks. Large-scale incidents of brutality were associated with labor strikes, such as the Great Railroad Strike of 1877, the Pullman Strike of 1894, the Lawrence textile strike of 1912, the Ludlow massacre of 1914, the Steel strike of 1919, and the Hanapepe massacre of 1924.

Eric Garner: Chokehold not necessary

by: 18chub

Eric Garner was a middle-aged man who was killed by a group of police officers when they put him into a chokehold. This dates back to July 17, 2014 when Eric Garner was killed by NYPD officers. Eric garner broke up a fight that was going on in his neighborhood. The police came to him for questions and somehow heard that he was selling cigarettes.

Eric Garner argued with them saying he was getting harassed just for breaking up a fight. With clear video evidence from multiple sources, it shows that Eric Garner was brought down with an illegal chokehold by the officers. You can hear Garner say “I Can’t Breathe” multiple times and even when Garner was down, the chokehold was locked in.

Although I disagree with the court’s decision to let the officers free, I believe that this decision will stand. Even with all the evidence showing that Garner should not have been killed, the court decided to give no charges. I believe that this is an act of racism because Eric Garner happened to be black. Not only was he killed by a police officer, he was not given justice in court.

I believe that in today’s society, many people with lots of power, abuse their power based on their views. Police officers are supposed to protect people however many deaths have occurred recently due to police officers. Although Eric Garner was arguing with them, their was no need to bring him down with an illegal chokehold. Even after that, he was on the floor saying “I can’t breath” multiple times while still in a chokehold. There was video evidence of all these things occurring and yet even the court of law which is supposed to give justice, gives no consequences to the killers.

This has become a national issue of not only racism but police officers abusing their power. They are given the responsibilities of protecting us and now many people are afraid of them. I believe that their should be a retrial with another court because I do not believe Eric Garner has been given justice.

From all the evidence in the Garner case, the police officers definitely need some sort of punishment to give justice to Garner. As Garner was not cooperating with the police officers, a chokehold was not necessary and neither was taking his life.

How Do You Become Good In Soccer?

by: 18tanbirs

Soccer is a sport that takes practice to be good. Especially if you want to become as good as Lionel Messi or Christiano Ronaldo. They started playing when they were young and their practice gave them the skill that they have now. People love watching these talents in season matches and even in the World Cup.
Each soccer team has 11 players and upto 3 substitutes. In a soccer game there are 2 halves of 45 minutes, with a 15 minute break in between the halves.The positions in soccer is goalkeepers, defense, midfield and strikers. There are center backs, right backs, left backs, right wing backs and left wing backs. There are center midfielders, center attacking midfielders, left midfielders, right midfielders and center defensive midfielders. For attacking positions, there are strikers, center forwards, left wings, left forwards, right wings and right forwards.
There are many formations in soccer. There are defensive, attacking and neutral formations. One example of a neutral formation is a 4-4-2. There are two strikers, four midfielders and four defenders.
Goalkeepers are the last line of defense so they have a lot of pressure on them during a match. One amazing goalkeeper is Manuel Neuer. He plays for Bayern Munchin in the bundesliga. The strike force and midfielders also have a lot of pressure on them because they are the ones that make the game winning passes or goals. If they don't, then they will probably lose the match. The defenders also have pressure because most of the time If a goal is scored it is the defenders fault.
As you can see, being a soccer player isn't the easiest thing in the world. Lionel Messi and Ronaldo are players that are fantastic on the pitch. They both had great seasons and Messi even broke some records while doing so. It is every soccer players dream to be just as good at soccer as Messi. Also to break records. They would have their names in the history of soccer.

Ebola Disease

by: 18chub

Ebola is a deadly disease that originated in Africa back around 1970’s. There are different strains of Ebola and some are more deadly than other. Recently people have been visiting south africa and coming to America not knowing they had the disease. Ebola was habitating in their bodies for weeks which is why they didn’t have any symptoms until after they arrived in America. Luckily, Ebola is not contagious when no symptoms aren’t present so the planes that they took were not infected. Our country has been working hard to find a cure to this disease and I believe that we will finalize a cure in the next 2 years.
I believe that we will find the cure in the next 2 years because the drug we are experimenting with has worked the majority of times. Since we have had multiple cases of Ebola coming to the US. We have to start working faster in order to keep Ebola out and to cure Ebola worldwide. While we work to finalize the cure for this epidemic, we should tighten airport security because for the cases where Ebola was brought to the US, the Ebola patients easily. This can happen even more times if we don’t do anything about it. In some airports, we already have x rays to help check for weapons. We could use this same process to check to see if people have Ebola. This way they can be quarantined immediately so that the virus doesn’t spread.
As you can, Ebola is a worldwide issue that must be stopped. While doctors and scientists work to solve this disease. We should be caution while travelling internationally. Not just Ebola but other diseases should be kept out of this country while we work to terminate them.

Locked In School

by: jcuevas

One day a kid named amadou got locked up in the school the school New Directions he was not so scared because he knew what he was supposed to do, but suddenly he started hearing bouncing balls in the hallway.

He thought that somebody was in the gym, but when he got upstairs he saw nobody in the gym he was extremely scared.
so he started to run but everywhere.

He followed him. Bounce! Bounce! Bounce! Bounce! Bounce!

He went inside the classroom thinking that the noise would stop but when he went inside the classroom the doors opened and closed by itself he was begging for more help nobody would answer him until he saw the clock he saw that it was about 7:30. He was happy because the school almost opened. so when it turned 7:30 hit he ran to the cafeteria.

And there he saw Jose. Jose asked him what happen, then he took him home on his car.

Mission: Readers Theater - Hercules

by: cisaacman

External video: 

See video

File: 

This mission is a multimedia response to the Comic Book called "Hercules". We are on a mission to research the story of Hercules and his Labors. The story becomes multimedia because after the research we respond to by filming and taking photos of rehearsals of the chapters from the comic book. The first posting is a first rehearsal from chapter one of our drama class. In this rehearsal is: Scrolin, Noah, Isaiah, Kyanna, Leslie

Three of My Best!

by: SSantana

My Lost Dog

One Sunday morning, it was about to rain so I decided to take my dog for a walk. So I went for his leash and I put it around his neck. I went straight downstairs with my dog. I saw that his leash was untied. I bent down, reaching to tie his leash back. But then he got his leash off his neck.Then I ran all the way to the park. I stopped running because I got tired. My dog ran away and until this day I have never seen him again. I still remember when he ran away and watching him barking and running. I also, remember chasing my dog and seeing people in the street that didn't even help me.

I was scared and sad because I thought that something happened to him. I was very sad.I was scared because what if they stole him and hurt him. That’s what I was the most scared and nervous about.

My First Basketball Game

The first basketball game that I went to was the Knicks vs Miami Heat.It was a good game but the knicks lost by 2 points.I went for the Knicks because they gave it all they got.I was very excited to be there at Madison Square Garden.After the game ,I saw Carmelo Anthony and he shook my hand. That was the best part of the night!

When I got My PS4

For my 13th birthday, I went to school.But I had a good day. Then I went home and found my building looking somewhat suspicious.Something was wrong, But I didn't know what. I knocked on my grandma’s door and she wasn't there. I found it was strange because my grandma was always in her house.I went home and I knocked on my door. But my mom wasn't home.I saw my room door closed and I started opening it slowly. When I turned around, everybody that I know friends and family yelled out SURPRISE! I was so happy. My mom told me go to the living room because there was a surprise for me.There it was on top of my couch. The video game system that I always wanted, the PS4! That was the best present that I have ever gotten.