All news in Gaming and New Media

Does cheating truly get you ahead?

Hey guys, it's James here with another discussion. Although this topic in itself is quite controversial, I think it's needing to be discussed. It's not something that's normally discussed on here, let alone most websites, but it's something that's been plaguing the world since the beginning.

This post has everything to do with cheating. From cheating on your girlfriend/boyfriend, cheating on your exam, cheating on your employment application even cheating on a game to get ahead. Although many of these topics are not closely related, they're very similar in many ways, because they all have one motive: to obtain an achievement the wrongs ways in order to get ahead.

From your Mother to your Father, even the peers that you go to school with, we're all susceptible to cheating. And that's not because we intend to shape the world around our beliefs and goals and are all manipulators, but because cheating is hardwired into our brains. As humans, we tend to shape our world so that the tasks we have at hand are easier than they should be - we'll always choose the easier path. Not only because the easier path is more convenient than the harder one, but because results are must faster when you take the easy path, versus when you take a more difficult path. All in all, cheating seems to be an pandemic in our world. Unfortunately, it's not going to stop any time soon either. 

An independent study suggests that over 88% of people have cheated at least once in their lifetime. Which suggests that a LARGE majority of the people reading this post have cheated at least once and/or struggle with cheating. But that's okay, I also struggle with cheating... In fact, not but a week ago I had fallen susceptible to cheating.
About 8 days ago I began playing a new game on my phone with several close friends called Racing Rivals. Being in a small friend group, we tend to share many similar interests. For example, we all LOVE gaming. Not only because we all own several successful Gaming channels on YouTube, but because we're driven by passion. This passion is what keeps us together in friendship - I almost lost this friendship when I was caught cheating.

Racing Rivals tends to be a difficult game to play. If you don't have money to spend to buy in-game currency or items, things get a little hard to obtain. Being that my friends were extremely competitive professional gamers and I was anything but, I decided that it'd be best if I seek an alternative method to competitively play and possibly get ahead of them in-game. So after seeking some cheats like line hacking or spin glitching, I came across racing rivals classified, which happened to be one of the leading racing rivals hacks out there. Although I knew the consequences if they were to find out about cheating, I took the chance and hacked the game. i didn't think twice about how my friends feelings would get hurt or how I would explain my ulterior motives or complex that caused me to practically let down some of the best friends I have. I took the opportunity to take the easy path and got burned doing so.

Unluckily, I lost several friendships after this incident.The moral of this story is, there are many things you should consider when you cheat. Whether you're cheating on a person, cheating in a game or cheating on a test. Cheating is bad and will only land you in trouble at the end of the day. So, next time you consider cheating one of the several options you have, think about all the things you could potentially lose if you were caught cheating!

Don't cheat, it can destroy friendships.

Videogame Hero Archetype

by: TravisA

Work done with Adam Francavilla (http://youthvoices.net/users/adam447)

An example of an archetype in videogame culture is Nathan Drake from the “Uncharted” series. Nathan Drake identifies as an archetypal hero because he faces adventures in search for knowledge and treasure while facing enemies trying to accomplish those very tasks, but by using hostile means.

In the third installment of the series, Nate is informed of a treasure that is located in a lost city in the Rub’ al Khali desert in Saudi Arabia. Unfortunately, Nate and his friends have competition in the form of a woman named Kate Marlowe, who is also interested in the treasure. When Nate and his best friend Victor Sullivan explore an old Chateau in France and a citadel in Syria. After that, Nate and Sully head to Yemen to find more clue. Unfortunately, Nate is kidnapped by one of Marlowe’s henchmen and is interrogated in an abandoned shipyard. After the interrogation, Nate manages to escape and stows away on a ship. When he is discovered, a violent skirmish ensues that manages to sink the entire ship. Nate manages to jump out of the ship and clings onto a life raft. Fortunately, the sea manages to carry Nate back to the shores of Yemen. There Nate learns of a flight that is supposed to send supplies to Marlowe’s convoy that is looking for the lost city of Ubar in Saudi Arabia. He drives to the airport and stows away on the plane. When he is discovered, there is once again a shootout that causes an explosive decompression of the plane and it’s eventually torn apart mid flight. Fortunately for Nate, he finds a parachute and glides safely back to the ground, however he lands in the middle of the Rub’ al Khali desert. Nate meets a group of Nomads who tell Nate that Sully was captured by Marlowe’s men and they’re headed for Ubar. With their help, Nate tracks down the convoy and rescues Sully. They then proceed to the entrance of Ubar. shortly after Nate drinks some water from the well, he has vivid hallucinations. After that, he figures out that there is no treasure at all and that Marlowe is here for the hallucinogenic agent that can be used against her enemies. Nate and Sully then proceed to destroy the pillars that keep the surface from collapsing on top of the whole city to prevent Marlowe from getting the substance. Marlow and all of her men are buried in the city while Nate and Sully manage to escape.
To us, Nate is a hero because despite his reckless and childish behavior, his best interest are in the well being of his friends. He’ll sacrifice any piece of gold or silver to make sure that his friends don’t get hurt.

Black ops 3 review

by: vlopez

External video: 

See video

Black ops 3, the brand new add on to the call of duty games. It adds in a lot new abilities and movement ideas.

First multiplayer, they added new people that you play as like Ruin or Firebreak who every one has a weapon and a ability. Then there the new movement. The add-on for AW movement now you can wall run slide and other. Also they also added the Black market where you get 54I contraband like clothes for you player or a weapon even.

Now some zombies. New goobblegums, mini perk like items where it gives you a ability like all perks on the map or freeze time it self. A new perk called widows wine where it does a lot of stuff but it is useful. There are four maps now but ore coming soon.

( if you want to see some gameplay look at mine with the link. Drop a like plz)

Father Frost Animation

by: 21alamm

My project was showing how greed takes over humans into making them make bad decisions. It showed how a person decided to make a decision for her own good overlooking the needs of others which ended up in a bad consequences for her. She thought it was a good decision but it was one that was made only because of greed. It teaches the moral or ethical lesson of how not to let greed take over you.

Act 1:

Old women: I hate you.

Morozko: Ok fine!!!

Old women: Husband, Send her to the cold forest and let her die.

Husband: Fine, I guess I have  no choice.

(Husband and Morozko go out and scene changes.

Change scene to winter forest:

Person- Who are you

Morozko- My name is Morozko, kind person.

Person- You are nice so I will give you a chest full of good things.

Morozko- Thank you so much.

Switch scene to old woman's house

Old women- Bring Morocco's body back so I can bury it.

Morozko comes back

Old women, Wow what have you brang.

Morozko- Some jewels.

Old women thinking- If I send her out again maybe she will bring more jewels.

Animation- Will the women start taking care of Morozko or put her in danger again.

Moral Decision To lie or to not.

If the woman puts her in danger again, morozko ends up dying and the body is bring back dead.

Old Women- Husband, send Morozko into the open field!

Husband- Yes mam

Switch scene to field:

Morozko- Hello.

Person- Not someone you would like to talk to

Morozko gets eaten off screen.

(Husband brings body back.

Husband- This is what I have returned with

Old women starts crying

Your selfishness led to this. I hope you know that.

If the woman takes care of her, morozko starts helping her and makes a lot of money by becoming a treasure hunter.

Old women- I will ever let you out into the open again without care.

Morozko It's okay .

Screen goes black (says 20 years later)

Old women-What have you brang back

Morozko- 200 million dollars all for you.

Old women- Wow, thanks alot.

Cell-Col-2-Row-0.pngCell-Col-0-Row-0.pngCell-Col-1-Row-0.pngCell-Col-3-Row-0.png

Image-Pack-unit-3-project-act-2.png

Screen Shot 2016-05-23 at 10.49.46 AM.png

Project Link- https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/108781202/#editor

<iframe allowtransparency="true" width="485" height="402" src="//scratch.mit.edu/projects/embed/108781202/?autostart=false" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Little Red Riding Hood

The Little Red Riding Hood

My scratch animation is based off of the Grimm Brother’s Little Red Riding Hood. My intentions behind creating this animation was to teach the audience a life lesson. I wanted them to learn that they should never talk to strangers and most importantly, they should always listen to their elders. In my animation I let the audience choose what Little Red Riding Hood would do. This way the audience would learn the moral behind the story. If the audience decided to make Little Red Riding Hood listen to the wolf, then the outcome would be different. But, if the audience choose to not listen to the wolf then the outcome would be different as well. One decision led to a better ending while another decision led to a more gruesome ending. This is my animation and I hope you like it. 

Script:

The Little Red Riding Hood

Act 1:  

[Little Red Riding Hood’s mom and Little Red Riding Hood are at home talking about grandma]

Mom: Come, Little Red Riding Hood, here is a piece of cake and a bottle of wine; take them to your grandmother, she is ill and weak, and they will do her good.

Little Red Riding Hood: Okay mom!

Little Red Riding Hood: I will take great care of her!

Mom: Don't forget to say, Good morning, and don't peep into every corner before you do it.

Little Red Riding Hood: Okay!

Mom: Be back before sunset.

Little Red Riding Hood: Okay, can I go now?

Mom: Yes, but be careful.

Little Red Riding Hood: I will mom.

Little Red Riding Hood: Bye!

Little Red Riding Hood: [Strolls along the path to her grandma’s house until she bumps into a wolf]

Wolf: Good day, Little Red Riding Hood!

Little Red Riding Hood: Thank you, kind wolf

Wolf: Whither away so early, Little Red Riding Hood?

Little Red Riding Hood: To my grandmother's.

Wolf: What have you got in your apron?

Little Red Riding Hood: Cake and wine; yesterday was baking-day, so poor sick grandmother is to have something good, to make her stronger.

Wolf: Where does your grandmother live, Little Red Riding Hood?

Little Red Riding Hood: A good quarter of a league farther on in the wood; her house stands under the three large oak-trees, the nut-trees are just below; you surely must know it.

Wolf: [Thinks to himself : What a tender young creature! what a nice plump mouthful - she will be better to eat than the old woman. I must act craftily, so as to catch both.]

Wolf: [Walks alongside Little Red Riding Hood]

Wolf: I believe, too, that you do not hear how sweetly the little birds are singing; you walk gravely along as if you were going to school, while everything else out here in the wood is merry.

Little Red Riding Hood: Hmmmm…?

Moral Decision: To obey their parents and that they must never talk to strangers. Little Red Riding did not listen to her mom about staying on path and would’ve died because of it. She talked to strangers like the Wolf, which led to the Wolf eating her grandma.

Act 2 A:

Little Red Riding Hood: Suppose I take grandmother a fresh nosegay; that would please her too. It is so early in the day that I shall still get there in good time.

Little Red Riding Hood: [skips towards the flowers]

Wolf: Now let's go eat that grandma! [Runs towards Little Red Riding Hoods Grandma’s house]

[Setting changes to  Little Red Riding Hoods Grandma’s house]

Wolf: [enters the cottage]

Wolf: Yummy!

Wolf: [Eats the grandma and changes into her clothes]

Little Red Riding Hood: [Finds the perfect flowers and skips back into her grandma’s house to find the wolf in her grandmother’s clothes.]

Little Red Riding Hood: Oh! Grandmother, what big ears you have

Wolf: All the better to hear you with, my child.

Little Red Riding Hood: But, grandmother, what big eyes you have!

Wolf: All the better to see you with, my dear.

Little Red Riding Hood: But, grandmother, what large hands you have!

Wolf: All the better to hug you with!

Wolf: [Leaps at the girl saying I’m a wolf.]

Little Red Riding Hood: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Wolf: [Eats the girl and goes to sleep.]

Hunter: [Enters the cottage wondering about the grandma.]

Hunter: Do I find you here, you old sinner!

Hunter:I have long sought you!

Hunter: He must have the ate the grandma and the girl. I must save them.

Hunter: [Cuts the wolf's belly open and helps the girl and grandma escape]

Little Red Riding Hood: [Comes out of the wolf’s belly]

Little Red Riding Hood: Ah, how frightened I have been! How dark it was inside the wolf.

Little Red Riding Hood: Thank you for saving us!

[Scene changes to the end]

Act 2 B:       

[Little Red Riding Hood understands what the Wolf’s intentions are bad]

Little Red Riding Hood: You make a point but what is it to you if look around or not?

Wolf: Ummmmm.....

Little Red Riding Hood: You just wanted to distract me so that you could eat my grandmother and me!

Wolf: I'm screwed!

Little Red Riding Hood: Why you little.....

Little Red Riding Hood: I’m going to kill you!

Wolf: Uh oh!

Hunter: [Enters the scene holding a gun]

Hunter: Do we have a problem here?

Little Red Riding Hood: Yes we do! This beast intended to eat my grandma and I!

Hunter: Don't worry I'll take care of this scoundrel!

Little Red Riding Hood: You better!

Wolf: [thinks to himself] Bye Bye Life!

Little Red Riding Hood: Finish Him!

Hunter: As you say miss!

Wolf: Gulp!

Hunter: [Gun fires]

Wolf: [Lies down dead and then disappears]

Little Red Riding Hood: He deserved that.

Hunter: He probably did.

[Scene changes to the end]

Storyboards:

Image-Pack-unit-3-project.png

Image-Pack-unit-3-project-act-2.png

Final Scratch Project:

Screen shot 2016-05-21 at 6.22.10 PM.png

Diamonds and Toads

by: 21anwarr

Introduction: To create my animation, I incorporated the dialogue of the fairy tale into the animation. I created 15 different poses in total of 7 characters. I made sure that everything was linked up and that no speech bubbles overlap. To make my animation interactive for the viewers, I made them able to pick a key to press. Picking the certain key, or button will determine which Act 2 version will be played.

Act 1 [The backdrop is set in the house. Rose is present and Fanny and Rose’s stepmom walk in. Rose: Oh hello Fanny, and Margaret. Stepmother: How many times have I told you to call me stepmother! Rose: Ok, I am so sorry. How was your time at the carnival? Fanny: It was amazing, I even saw the prince. What a… shame it was that you couldn’t come… [The stepmother looks and walks around the house.] Stepmother: Rose! You lazy, ungrateful child. Is this a speck of dust? Didn’t I tell you to clean out the fireplace? Rose: Oh yes Stepmother, I am so sorry. Fanny: Haha, ‘I am so sorry.’ What a pathetic excuse. [Fanny walks closer to Rose] Fanny: Are you just jealous that you did not see the prince? Not that he would even look at you… Stepmother: That is right, now go fetch us some water, to wash our faces. Hurry up and take the old wood bucket at the back of the house. Rose: Ok stepmother. [Rose walks out of the house and follows the path to the well. When she reaches the well, she bends down.] Rose: Who are you? Fairy: Oh I am just an old woman, going to the market. Fairy: Oh dear, can you please give me a drink of water from the well? I am parched.

Act 2a Fairy: So please could you kindly give me a drink? Rose: Of course! I would gladly help you out. [Rose bends down and gives the lady a pitcher with water] Fairy: Oh thank you my dear that was so thoughtful and kind of you. Rose: Oh it was really no problem I was happy to help out. Fairy: Yes, and for that, you shall be rewarded. [The fairy sheds her disguise] Fairy: Whenever you speak, a rose, jewel or precious metal shall be produced. Rose: Oh thank you so much. I am ever so grateful. [Fairy disappears] [Rose walks home] Rose: I am so sorry I was late stepmother. Look! A fairy in the form of a beggar has granted me a gift for being so kind. Stepmother: Oh indeed, I see! All these precious gems would give us a fortune… She thinks (If only I had more…) Stepmother: Oh my Fanny, come here! Dress up in your finest silks and fetch the silver pitcher. When you see the beggar, give her a drink of water. Fanny: Oh fine. [Fanny trudges to the well and she sees a princess with fine robes and jewels] Fairy: Oh hello, I am the princess of the city. May you give me a drink from the well? Fanny: Of course not! I am not your servant. [The fairy sheds her disguise.] Fairy: For your ungrateful and rude nature, every time you speak, a frog or snake will fall out of your mouth! [Fanny runs home] Stepmother: Rose how dare you trick Fanny, get out of my house. [Rose runs out and is crying] Prince: Why are you crying? Rose: Oh my awful Stepmother kicked me out of my house. My mother had died and my father had married her. But now he left me. Prince: Oh I am so sorry for your loss. Rose: Oh thank you sir. Prince: Don’t bother with the formalities, it makes me feel old. Call me Stephen. A girl such as yourself should not be alone in these woods. Rose: I do not have anywhere to go Prince: Well, you could live with me. Rose: Oh thank you so much… Stephen.

Act 2b Fairy: So could you kindly give me a drink? Rose: Well, well… I am sorry, I am in a hurry and have to get water for my stepmother Fairy: Could you just please quickly give me some water. I am just an old beggar woman. Rose: Oh I am so sorry I really have to go. My stepmom would be furious. I just wish my mom would be back with me. Fairy: I am so sorry child. [Reverts to true form.] Fairy: Although you had expressed your reasons for declining, had you given me the water as an act of kindness, you would have been greatly rewarded. Rose: Oh I am truly sorry for my actions. Fairy: Well, that cannot make up for what you did, or in fact didn’t do. It's fine dear child, head home, your stepmother is expecting you. Rose: Oh… ok then. Thank you. [Rose walks home and the fairy disappears] Rose: I am so sorry I was late stepmother. A beggar woman asked me to give her water, but I feared that you may get angry at my delay. The woman was actually a fairy in disguise and would have offered me a precious gift. Stepmother: Hmm, Fanny come here. [Fanny enters room and goes to stepmom] Stepmother: Dress up in your finest silks and fetch the silver pitcher. When you see the beggar, or anyone give her a drink of water. Fanny: Oh fine. [Fanny trudges to the well and she sees a princess with fine robes and jewels] Fairy: Oh hello, I am the princess of the city. May you give me a drink from the well? Fanny: Why should- Oh fine. She thinks (but I am not your servant) [Fairy reveals her true form] Fairy: Although you have been very rude and insolent, you have given me water. However, Rose declined with grace and her sincerest apologies. You accepted it just to gain. Even so, every time you speak, a jewel should fall from your lips. [Fanny runs home] Stepmother: Oh good job Fanny! Now we are rich and will be able to snag the attention of the prince! Rose, for you, now clean the fireplace. Fanny: After I am married to the prince, I am sure he would accept you as a servant. The embed code for my scratch project is 

Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 10.29.47 AM.png

Embed Code:

<iframe allowtransparency="true" width="485" height="402" src="//scratch.mit.edu/projects/embed/108438242/?autostart=false" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The url to my project is: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/108438242/

Which minecraft mode is better?

In Sean C.Duncan essay, “Minecraft, Beyond Construction and Survival,”from https://via.hypothes.is/http://press.etc.cmu.edu/files/WellPlayed-v1n1-1..., the author wrote an essay about minecraft and all its features.

When we consider the issue of video games, some might wonder why there is tension between both mode’s creative which gives the player unlimited resources, and immortality while survival mode you have to gather resources and survive the night.Sean C.Duncan article addresses this question because they think there is very little reason for survival because after a point it's pointless playing survival without mods. (Game modifiers)

Another point Duncan makes in his essay is “Many have identified that Minecraft provides opportunities for creative construction well beyond the need for the survival mode of the game” What if new people start to play minecraft in creative mode then what's the challenge in being immortal and having unlimited resources.

A third point addressed by Duncan is “there is an appealing flexibility in Minecraft to serve as more than just a play space, but also be a platform for new, meaningful experiences”this is significant, because building a house or a castle can relieve stress in a way.

What we can appreciate about this writer's work is that he showed his opinions about the game Minecraft.We can look forward to seeing what he writes next, because he has in interesting way to write what he likes and dislikes about minecraft.

Why is Minecraft the most successful game in the history of gaming?

I'm reading Sean C. Duncan's essay, “Minecraft, Beyond Construction and Survival” from https://via.hypothes.is/http://press.etc.cmu.edu/files/WellPlayed-v1n1-1..., My question is: Is Minecraft a good tool in school, when they know it's distraction in school? I think no, that is not a distraction because you can release your imagination in Minecraft, like for an example when you are building a house in Minecraft you do not know what do and if you use your imagination, then you can do anything.

The author wrote this article because he wanted the reader to understand Minecraft and what the things you need to build something and why you need to do things.

When we consider the issue of a student using Minecraft in school, some might wonder what happen if kids do not what to do their work? Sean C. Duncan's essay addresses this question because Minecraft can help kids spread their imagination in Minecraft, and this game help then do that.

One of the things the author talks about is building with blocks in Minecraft: “7 blocks (stone, iron, glass) into more complex pieces that may help build a fortress to protect against the monsters of the night. The Creeper, are more feared in the game.“

What do I see in this sentence is that 7 block of something to make complex pieces that may help you. This is important because how are you going to fight monster without a sword or something to hit with. I like to use blocks to make my houses or my farm or my garden. This is basically saying that how are you going to build or kill something without blocks.

This might make one more wonder why do kids play Minecraft when they know Minecraft is a distraction in school? Well, Minecraft can be the most coolest game in the world because Minecraft can help kids in school with computers and if they have computers, they can play. Minecraft can make their imaginations grow wild in their minds with happiness.

Another point Sean C. Duncan makes in his article "Minecraft. Beyond Construction and Survival" is that "33,000,000 have purchased the game at the time." This is important because that is all of people who have got the game. I am one of those people who have the game.

In another article I read, "Teaching in the Age of Minecraft https://via.hypothes.is/http://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/201..., I read: "Often students make their own dioramas out of paper and Popsicle sticks and the game was so popular that teacher are using it in school for their student." When the kids do something that they like and they put their imagination to work, Minecraft can help them do that. When I do work in Minecraft, my mind just goes somewhere else, like in space, and every time when I play Minecraft I can work all day and night.

What we can appreciate about these writers' work is that that Minecraft is a game for school and that kids should use it so they can spread their imaginations and when they play they can make anything, like a house or a garden or a farm and they do it with blocks.