All news in Gaming and New Media

Social Networks and Political Activism

Political Activism Graph

The other day I read an article in my Spanish class about whether it is a good idea to use social media to promote political activism around the world. There were people who talked about the negative influences that could come about from using social networking in politics, but there were also people who believed that it is a brilliant idea to use it. Those that took the negative side of the argument said that this could be a bad idea because a lot of the time the media/news tend to slant stories and are not always reliable. But I have to agree with those that took the positive side because I believe that it is easy and simple to get adolescents involved in politics.

Promoting political campaigns over the news on TV and websites such as CNN and BBC are great ways of spreading political activism, but it seems that only mostly adults get on these sites or TV channels. In order to get the youth of this generation more active in politics, why not use social networking? Teens are on social media apps every second of every day. They can see world issues and/or campaigns just by someone "retweeting" or "sharing" an article. I think websites such as Twitter and Facebook are great ways to promote political activism and get adolescents more involved and active in expressing their opinions on certain topics.

What Makes a Social Media Site Successful?

All over, we see people using social media for everything. From valuable communication tools like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to dating websites like Tinder to less serious programs like Snapchat, everyone uses social media. So, what makes a social media website successful? What do all of these services have in common? Why do some sites fail?

Jul 25, 2014

Animated Introduction

by: lbauso

Here's my animated introduction:

Jul 23, 2014

Controlling Code at the Next Level Badge

by: groberts

Check out my badge on P2PU, and feel free to apply!

Jul 17, 2014

Depression

Project Page
This scratch is about two girls who are talking about depression and go over some quick tips on how to over come it.

Jul 15, 2014

Change and Preparation

by: jnine

Here is a fable I created on scratch.mit.edu.

Project Page

Jul 14, 2014

Services Between Two Friends

by: nfelix

http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/24685533/

I did this particular Scratch because I wanted to represent the idea of veganism as well as the importance of friendships. I am writing this story for individuals who don't know how to represent a new idea to their friends, in my case veganism. In my Scratch creation, the two friends help each other out, one by missing some time from his work to help his friend find a store. Thus, the other friend presents him with vegan dish as a "thank you" gift. The vegan friend knows that veganism is great for health and he initiated the idea in the mind of his friend by giving his favorite foods, only in vegan form. In the end, each friend provided each other with guidance and comfort which should always be remembered.

What I found difficult was making the script and movements make sense with the seconds that have to put in. I did not understand at first, however, I got the hang of the website after working on the Scratch for a few times. Overall, I enjoyed making the Scratch and I would definitely do another in the future.