All news in Gaming and New Media

Golden Adventures

by: 20uniar

Investigate
Game Proposal~
Rushaid: Humanities Questions, 8 different questions of increasing difficulty. Goal is to reach the treasure chest. The questioning takes place in the desert.
Chloe: Spanish questions, most likely asking to translate Spanish words into English, out of the mouth of a ghoul. There will be most likely 4 questions as this is level 1 of the group game. They will be of increasing difficulty. If you answer them all correctly, then you will be able to reach the key get on to the next level. If there is a wrong answer, however, you will get eaten by the ghoul and game over.
Jasmine: Math Questions, 6 different questions of increasing difficulty. Goal is to reach the key for the next level. The questioning takes place in the jungle.

Group:
Game Chrome:
Level 1~ Underground labyrinth...Chloe
Level 2~ Jungle...Jasmine
Level 3~ Desert...Rushaid
Game Objective: Reach the final treasure, gold. For each level, reach the key.
Game Mechanic: Third-person
Game Obstacles: Academic problems- math (lion),humanities(mummy), and Spanish (ghoul and dragon)

Design
Game Mechanic
1.Rules ~If you answer the question incorrectly, you start over from the beginning of the level.
~If the question is multiple choice, type the letter of your choice in the answer box, not capitalized.
~The answers to math questions must only be in numbers and not include units.
2.Game Play/ Game Engine
~There are three levels to the game and the player must answer an increasing number of questions for each level. At the end of each level, there is a key to get to the next level. At the very end of the game, the grand prize would be a huge treasure chest of gold. This gold will replace the gold that robbers stole from him. The questions will be about history, math, and Spanish and each correct answer will lead them to the next question.
3.User Interface
~The user won’t have to use any keys to play the game because the game will just either restart automatically from the same level, or the player will just continue on in the game when she answers a question correctly. Therefore, only the “Move to” blocks will be used to move the character.

Objectives
1.Story
~There is a rich lady who is living on an island in the middle of nowhere until on one rainy night, she wakes up and finds out that she is robbed. There is a note and a map next to her bed and says, “If you want to find all this precious gold of yours you must look at the map given to you below”! Inside the map there are three stages included which are: Underground labyrinth, Jungle, and the Desert.
2. Character
~The main character is a rich lady who is trying to get back her precious gold and in the first level he is intercepted by a sphinx than in the next level she is intercepted by a lion and then the last level she will be intercepted by mummies/zombies.
3. Levels
~The first level will be about spanish and the obstacle will be the great great ghoul and dragon. It will have 4 questions.
~The second level will be about math and the obstacle will be monsters. It will have 6 questions.
~The third level will be about science and the obstacle will be mummies/zombies. It will have 8 questions.

Game Obstacles:
1. Bosses
~There are no bosses in our game.
2. Puzzles/ Riddles
~Rushaid: The questions would be asked from the mouth of a Mummy. They involve science and will be one word answers. It will be questions that have to do with the American Revolution and our Government.
~Chloe: The questions would be asked from the mouth of a ghoul and dragon. They involve Spanish. The first two would be asked in English, requiring an answer in Spanish. A possible question could be: Where would people most likely go to pray? The questions would be multiple choice. The last two would be asked in Spanish, requiring an answer in English. A possible question could be translating a Spanish sentence to English. The question would also be multiple choice. There would be a 1 minute limit for each.
~Jasmine: The questions will be asked from the mouth of a lion. They involve math and won't be multiple choice. Some concepts included are area, squares, equations, etc. Answers would have to be written in number format.
3. Leveling up
~After answering all of the questions of a level, the main character will reach the key. The key will transport the character to the next level. At the final level, level 3, the character will reach the gold that the robber has taken. The game ends at that.

Game Chrome:
1.Graphics/Art
~Backdrops from Scratch and Storyboardthat, Characters from Scratch
2. Sound/Music
~Sound Effects from Scratch
3. Academic Content
~There will be no additional academic content aside from our questions individual games, as mentioned above.

Plan
Resources
Materials
~ Sprite lady from Scratch library
~Sprite thief in black from Scratch library
~ Sprite ghoul from Scratch library
~ Sprite lion from Scratch library
~ Sprite mummy from Scratch library
~ Backdrop bedroom from storyboardthat
~ Backdrop desert from Scratch library
~ Backdrop jungle from storyboardthat
~ Backdrop underground from storyboardthat
~ Blocks

Tools
~ scratch.mit.edu storyboardthat.com
~ Website
~Browsers
~ Computer

Labor
~ Rushaid - Level 3, Credits, Sprites
~ Chloe - Level 1, Transitions, Backdrops, Sound Effects
~ Jasmine - Level 2, Introduction

Location
~ Everyone’s house
~ School

Time
~ From tomorrow to June 1st

Money
~ $0

Gantt Chart:

Jobs

5/20

5/21

5/22

5/23

5/24

5/25

5/26

5/27

5/28

5/29

5/30

5/31

6/1

Create Rushaid’s Sprite

Create Chloe’s Sprite

Create Jasmine’s Sprite

Create Treasure Sprite

Animate Rushaid’s level

Animate Chloe’s level

Animate Jasmine’s level

Create Intro Sprites

Create Credits Roll

Create Intro Backdrop

Create Rushaid’s Backdrop

Create Chloe’s Backdrop

Create Jasmine’s Backdrop

Animate Intro

Import all Levels

Connect all Levels

Add Rushaid’s Sound

Add Chloe’s Sound

Add Jasmine’s Sound

Add Group Sounds

Instructions & Credit

Chloe

Jasmine

Rushaid

Developer’s Log #1:

Rushaid~ 5/21. 1:30-2:00. BSGE

We were discussing about how we would connect it all after we were done. Today I was trying to find a good animation which I could remix for my part of the project and I spent at least 25 mins searching for one until I realized that there was no use. In the process my group members were also looking for some remixes and sharing them with each other in order to see if the other found it useful. I decided to start off by making my own animation and got my main sprite and my main backdrop ready so I could use them which is what I was supposed to do according to my Gantt chart. Similarly my partners decided to do the same by starting off from scratch. Also, I didn’t send the intro sprites to my group members so I did it today so they could start using them for tomorrow.

Chloe~ 5/21. 1:30-2:00. BSGE.

We were all in the same place, discussing what our roles would be in the project. We also created our Gantt chart, assigning dates so that everything would logically be in order. After that, helping each other, we started on our individual animations. I followed the gantt chart and found a Sprite, and a backdrop. I also started the animation, by the teeniest bit. I had hoped to start more of the animation, but was only able to “set the stage” such as setting where the Sprites were, etc. I will be working on the animation for the next 2 days.

Jasmine~5/21. 1:30-2:00. BSGE.

I followed the Gantt chart, but I wasn’t really that productive because I only got a few sprites and a backdrop. The entire group was in the same place, but we worked on our individual projects. I didn’t start any of the actual animating yet, just preparing and setting it up. Something I had difficulty doing at first was properly importing the backdrop because Scratch wouldn’t process it. I eventually got it to work because I downloaded it as a high-resolution storyboard.

Developer’s Log #2:

Rushaid~ 5/23 1:00- 2:00 PM Home

I didn’t have time to start my scratch project from yesterday which I was supposed to according to my Gantt chart, but instead I started it today. I was able to get ⅝ of my questions done which is a really good amount considering that I didn’t do any work yesterday. I didn’t have any difficulties at all which was pretty surprising for me because I thought I might have trouble moving around all the blocks and sprites, but I was luckily able to go by in a breeze.     

Chloe~ 5/21. 7:30- 8:00. Home.

Following the Gantt chart, I continued working on my individual animation. I was created a total of 4 more Sprites, and finished asking the first question. One of the problems that came up was that I couldn’t get the ‘ask’ block to work. Therefore, I ended up using a multiple choice format, where all the choices were Sprites and the user would simply click on the choice they believe is right. I have to finish the animation in the next days.

Jasmine~ 5/21. 7:40-8:10. Home

I continued from where I left off in class and finished two questions and responses in my individual project. I created two sprites in total. Something that I had trouble with was getting it to save because of my internet connection. Also, I didn’t know how to put my blocks together properly so that it wouldn’t glitch. Eventually, I found out the best way to set out my blocks and my project eventually saved.

Developer’s Log #3

Rushaid~ 5/24 1:30- 2:00 PM. Home

Following my Gantt chart, as planned today was the day I would finish my animation which was pretty easy since all I had was 3 questions left. Again this was easy for me since I could just use similar blocks to the ones I used before so I won’t have to waste any unnecessary time. After finishing within 20 mins I decided to revise my whole project all over again to see if there were any mistakes. After doing this I sent a message asking them for their credits if they had any so I could add the credit roll at the end of my project.

Chloe~ 5/22. 8:45-9:15. Home

Following the Gantt chart, I kept working on my individual project. I finished the second question, and found it much easier than doing the first question, as now the blocks all went in the same format, so i mostly just had to change the questions and broadcasts. At first, I wanted to make 4 new Sprites as answer choices for every single question, until I realized that it would be too much unnecessary work. I ended up just using the original 4 Sprites and simply changed their costumes. Tomorrow I will finish the game by completing the final questions and adding any sound effects necessary.

Jasmine~5/22. 10:30-11:00. Home

I’m ahead of schedule, according to the Gantt chart. I continued working on my individual project and ended up finishing the rest of it. I found it a lot easier than when I first started creating my project because I finally got myself accustomed to the blocks and ended up duplicating a lot and editing them. I didn’t really have any problems, except for getting the key at the end of the level to transition in nicely. I did so by adding a “fairytale” sound effect. Overall, my work today was productive. I was one day ahead of schedule.

Developer’s Log #4

Rushaid ~ 5/25. 7:00-7:15 PM  Home

Since my fellow partners did not have any credits I added in my credits and all of our names by creating a credit roll at the end of my project as my last backdrop. I was supposed to create my credit roll yesterday, but everything was delayed by 1 day so ended up doing it today. Also, according to my Gantt chart I was supposed to add my sounds, but I was able to add the sounds along the way of my animation which makes it necessary now to add more sounds.

Chloe~ 5/23. 12:00-1:00. Home

Following the Gantt chart, I continued and finished working on my individual project. I went around the animation fixing things and adding sound effects. Then, when I played the animation, everything was mixed up and out of order! I couldn’t figure out what I messed up on, so I looked through every block and finally figured out that one of the broadcast blocks was out of place. I finished just on schedule.

Jasmine~ 5/26. 7:30-8:05. Home.

Today, I followed the Gantt chart and did the intro for our group project and did it pretty successfully to help show our whole storyline and why the main character needed to answer all of these questions. I made sure to include the robber to properly introduce the animation. The only problem I had was that all of the blocks and sprites were a little confusing because there were too many of them, especially after it was imported into the group project. I wasn’t familiar with what they meant so I had to spend some time working on understanding what all of the blocks did. After that, I finished it and helped to connect it to the first level. I am right on schedule. I am officially done, however I may help edit it later on.

Developer’s Log #5

Rushaid~ 5/26 1:15-2:00. School

Today our group was very productive because as I was  working on my credits for the group and I was able to finish it. We were looking at each others projects trying to help each other by giving helpful advice and pros/cons. Jasmine was trying to add her final touches while Chloe was trying to import all of our projects by making a basic outline. All we have left is Jasmine's intro the project and waiting to import all our projects together.

Jasmine~ 5/26. 1:15-2:00. School.

Today was very productive for me. Even though I already finished  my individual project, I continued to edit it with sounds and better dialogue. I helped and gave advice to Chloe with the backpack options. I didn’t really have any problems because it was really just simple editing. Something that was annoying was that I had to keep on going back and forth with my animation. I didn’t have any actual problems, so there wasn’t much to study.

Chloe~ 5/26. 1:15 - 2:00. School.

Today our group worked together, looking over each other’s animations. We gave advice on how to edit the animations to make them better. I started importing the levels and connecting them. One of the problems that I faced was that I couldn’t import backdrops from individual animations to the group one. This was solved by saving every backdrop to local file and uploading it that way. I was able to import the first level and make it work out. I will finish importing and connecting other levels at home tonight.

Developer’s Log #6

Chloe~ 5/26. 4:30-4:55. Home.

Following the Gantt chart, I imported all the levels today. One of the problems that I encountered was that some of our broadcasts were the same. Therefore, the whole sequence would mess up. I had to change the broadcasts and receiving blocks to make everything flow. I’m slightly ahead of schedule, as I’m supposed to start connecting on the next class but started connecting all the levels today. The remaining parts of my job is to add sound effects and finish connecting all levels. I will complete this next class.

Rushaid ~ 5/25. 7:30-7:40 PM  Home

I was supposed to do the Instructions and Credits for our group scratch project on the viewing page where everyone watches the animation, but I did it one day earlier than what was said on the Gantt chart since I had free time. I took all of our instructions and put it in the Instruction section and then put in all of our credits in the credits section which only took me about 10 mins.

Developer’s Log #7

Rushaid~ 5/28. 1:15-1:55. BSGE

We followed the Gantt chart and waited for Chloe to finish connecting and importing all the levels together. After she finished connecting them all together we watched the whole thing play through together and together started editing each others projects. There were a few errors in mine that they pointed out so I went back and fixed them as now my individual project is officially complete. We also finished our group project and I just need to add the instructions and credits on the cover page to make sure the viewers know what they are doing.

Chloe~ 5/28. 1:15-1:55. BSGE

Following the Gantt chart, today our group finished our group animation. We added sound effects and looked over everything together. We made edits to blocks and Sprites that were necessary. I added sound effects and finished up connecting all of the levels, so that it would make sense. There weren’t really any problems, as we mostly finished already and were just editing today.

Jasmine~ 5/28. 1:15-1:55. BSGE

We followed the Gantt chart and finished our animations. I helped Chloe mostly with connecting all levels and fixing typos, as well as importing all of Rushaid’s backdrops. We worked mostly as a group about how to properly finish it off. We didn’t encounter any significant problems.

Developer’s Log #8: Plan for Improvement

Rushaid~ 6/3. 1:10-1:30. School.

If we had a chance to improve our project, our priorities would be to maybe make our levels a bit more difficult since the questions were a bit too easy and the answers were pretty easy. Also, maybe we could have made our games a bit more fun and creative since in all of our levels, the viewer mostly could answer the questions and nothing else. Maybe they could have interacted with the game a bit more or maybe we could have used the arrow keys a bit more efficiently so the viewer could maybe move around the sprite. Last of all I would add more lives since it’s a bit annoying starting from the beginning of the questions, but just get another chance for the question you got wrong.

Chloe~ 6/3. 1:10-1:30. School.

If we had a chance to improve our project, our priorities would be in fixing some of the features to make them better. One of the first things we would fix would be the user interface. In our game, we only needed arrow keys in Rushaid’s level, or the last level. It would be more fun for the player if there were arrow keys used in every level. Another thing I would want to fix would be our story plot. Our story plot is pretty unrealistic and somewhat illogical. For instance, we allowed the game to restart after game over without some kind of explanation. Therefore, I would add lives in our game, so that restarting at the beginning of a level after dying would make more sense.

Jasmine~ 6/3. 1:10-1:30. School

If we had a chance to improve our project, our priorities would be maybe adding and fixing some parts to make it more challenging for the user. We could add in some arrow keys so that the user could use it to move around. Also, I could add more creativity or more interesting details and dialogue to accompany the storyline. Also, we might have made the flow between each level too choppy. It may have been better to add another backdrop to act as a transition slide.

Rushaid’s Reflection:

1. In my individual project, I think that the best part that I did was by keeping all the blocks very organized so if something went wrong I wouldn’t have to go on a scavenger hunt for it. After doing my first question which took about 30 mins to figure out the rest of the questions became very easy since I just used my first questions blocks.

2. I think that maybe by putting more time on it I could have done a better job by using the arrow keys for every question instead of only for the gold treasure so that the viewer could interact even more with the game and make it more fun than before.

3. I was able to make the credits for my group which I put in my individual project so it could be imported directly to the final part. Also, I was able to create the intro sprites so the rest of my group members could use them. Not just this, but I added the instructions and credits to the front page of our group project.

4. Since our projects are kind of very different, we could have maybe discussed more to make it more alike since the type of answers and the way the sprites move are very different than each others. Next time we could ask each other to make it better flowing.

5. Jasmine was the first one out of the three of us and the first in the class to finish which was really good since it shows that she is ready to work and is serious about her project, It also shows that she won’t leave anything for the last minute and is striving for good grades.Not just this but when Chloe needed help, Jasmine was there to help her when she needed it. Even though Chloe was the last of us to finish, she spent the most time on her individual project out of all of us trying to make it the best of her capability. At a time she messed up her blocks which made her start over again, but she rarely complained about this and kept going towards her goal until she finished. The way her project flowed was the best out of ours.

6. Something Chloe could have done better was at the time of importing all of our projects. She kind of complained too much because of all the sprites and backdrops. Especially when she saw my credits she wanted me to make a new one in the group project, but she didn’t realize that it would be easier to import it from my project. Something Jasmine could have done better was to maybe make her project a little more creative and complex since I think her project was a bit too simple. She could have maybe made the viewer interact with the animation more since all they had to do was answer some questions.

Group Members:
Jasmine ~ http://youthvoices.net/users/20shumj
Chloe ~ http://youthvoices.net/users/20panj

Group Animation:   <iframe allowtransparency="true" width="485" height="402" src="//scratch.mit.edu/projects/embed/64232306/?autostart=false" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>    

Rushaid's Animation: <iframe allowtransparency="true" width="485" height="402" src="//scratch.mit.edu/projects/embed/63392166/?autostart=false" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>    

Become a Mathematician

by: 20wuc

Investigate

Group Name: ScratchGameTeam

Password: gamers

Plan: 3 different mini games with three math lessons. 2 of the minigames will be platformer games. 1 of the games will be a side-scroller game. There will also be a boss level, where all 3 topics/academic fields will be integrated into a major level. The final level will require the player to combine all 3 of the topics of the knowledge he has acquired thus far and combine them to fight through the several stages to combat a huge graduation diploma.

Objective: Finish a math topic successfully in order to unlock two more units of “math class” to win the game and earn a diploma.

Manaswi: Physics

Bianca: Geometry

Christie: Order of Operations/Basic Pre-Algebra

Plan: In order to achieve her/his goals and in order to become a mathematician, a boy needs to complete three math units.

Objective: Score at least 75 knowledge points out of a total of 100 in each of the three units of mathematics in order to become a mathematician.

Christie

Game Mechanics:

Rules- Get through the game with enough knowledge points to unlock the next level.

Game play-

User Interface/Game Controls- Space= shoot to overcome boss, left arrow key= move left, right arrow= move right, up arrow key= jump

Objective: The main character has to score at least 75 knowledge points out of a total of 100 and not lose all it knowledge saves.

Story- A boy/girl wishes of someday becoming a mathematician. In order to achieve his/her dream, he/she knows that he/she will have to get good grades and answer questions correctly.

Characters- 1 boy/girl with black hair and is holding a book.

Levels- 1rst level

Obstacles:

Puzzles/riddles/questions/traps- There will be questions throughout each unit and then one final question at the end of each unit. You have three lives until you lose all your knowledge so the bosses try to consume your lives.

Leveling up- Each correct answer will let you continue on with the game, each final question(s) about the unit will take you into the next level.

Chrome:

Art/Graphics: Sprites and backgrounds will all come from Scratch or be hand-drawn.

Sound/Music/Sound Effects- Background music will come from Scratch

Group

Game Mechanics:

Rules-

Game play-

User Interface/Game Controls-

Objective: The character has to pass all three units to earn a certificate and become a mathematician

Story- A boy wishes of someday becoming a mathematician. In order to achieve his/her dream, he knows that he will have to get good grades and answer questions correctly.

Characters- 1 boy with black hair and is holding a book and the levels will have enemies

Levels- There will be 3 different major levels.

Obstacles:

Bosses- Enemy sprites that try to take you lives if they come into contact with you

Puzzles/riddles/questions/traps- At the end of each individual game, question(s) will be asked that tests your knowledge of the unit.

Leveling up-  By answering the questions correctly you move on to the next unit.

Chrome:

Art/Graphics:Sprites and backgrounds will all come from Scratch or be hand-drawn.

Sound/Music/Sound Effects-

Manaswi- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR2XilcGYOo

Bianca- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcXpwjNVQJY    

Christie- Background music will come from Scratch

Plan -

Resources:

Tools - Scratch, Google, Computer, Creative Commons

Materials -

Location - School, Google Hangouts

Time - 12 days

Money - $0

Labor -

Manaswi Mancha

Bianca

Christie

Action Plan:

Manaswi Mancha

Bianca

Christie

Task

5/21

5/22

5/23

5/24

5/25

5/26

5/27

5/28

5/29

5/310

5/3

11

6/1

12

Unavailable

Main Character

General Backgrounds (without written information)

Enemy Sprite

Manaswi’s Individual Project  and import scripts to the group project

Bianca's Individual project  and import scripts to the group project

Christie’s Individual Project and Import Scripts to the Group Project

Create Title Page and combine to 1rst scripts

Combine 2nd and 3rd Scripts

Create Credits Roll and combine with 3rd script

Create

Group Log: 5/22 9:45-10:15 BSGE

Manaswi Mancha

We met up today to discuss how we should complete the project. We did not get to start upon our individual projects today. We only conversed regarding who should do what things and the workload. There were numerous disagreements, particularly regarding who should integrate all the individual levels. In the resolution, I had decided to converse with Mr. Shantanu regarding this matter. This will settle the debate of who will do the individual level combining occupation.

Bianca

We did not do any work but we did discuss the jobs and how we should do the project we had disagreements about:

The workload organization

how we should do our jobs

Some solutions would be to have more time to work together and make compromises. Also make the rule of not being allowed to change each other's work

Christie

We discussed the tasks each person was supposed to do, despite the fact that we had already settled it yesterday night. Therefore, we couldn’t start on our individual project. A solution to this is that Bianca and I may make plans to meet with Shantanu after school.

Group Log: 5/22 2:10-2:45 BSGE:

Manaswi Mancha:

I sat down with the administrator and the group. The group and I debated about the amount of work that each person would get and I endeavored to determine a way to determine a compromise. Everyone was present and they all gave accounts upon their behalf. The main conflict was that I was getting too much work, while the others had barely any work. I was getting the harder work. The others debated that we all had equal work. In the aftermath, the resolution was reached. The consensus was inevitable. Mr. Shantanu was aiding us and advising us regarding the compromise. Everyone had to obey to the principles of equality. The resolution was that a consensus was reached that I would do 2 middle transitions, one person would do the title sequence and the first transition and another person would do the credits and the last transition.

Bianca:

We all sat down with Shantanu and described our issues then each came up with different possible compromises and then agreed on a final compromise that would balance the workload. Some disagreements were to convince each other these compromises would work and that they were fair when looking at the whole project and the division of work. A solution to these disagreements was Shantanu explaining his understandings of our ideas and showing the part with common sense while also including his own suggestions. Another solution was trying to elaborate and fully describe our own ideas.

Christie

My group met up with Shantanu after school and discussed our issues with the group we were dedicated to. We conferred our problems and tried to find a solution to who does what work. Shantanu helped us rearrange our schedules and make compromises in order to adapt to what the rest of my group can do around their own schedules. We settled upon splitting the combination of the scripts for more than one person to do, along with another task to ensure that each member of my group is contributing to the group project.

Christie’s Log: 5/27 9:50-10:25 BSGE

I took out my computer and started becoming focused on the task in front of me to do -- continuing with my individual project. However, since the internet was slow today, I didn’t get much farther than discussing with my group where the main character sprite was, and replaying my game a few times to be familiar with it again. I also discussed with another fellow classmate the progress my game was going along, and he suggested to me another style of programming I might be interested to delve deeper into next time, one that allowed my sprite to jump without having to touch a color that allowed it to. I may have to continue with my project a bit more at home, to keep up my good work, and to ensure that I won’t fall off schedule.

Christie’s Log: 5/29 9:50-10:15 BSGE

I explained my problems to Shantanu about my not working main character sprite. I asked him whether it would affect my grade if it could be a different costume than what it was meant to be. He agreed, but told me that I had to explain my change with precision inside my developer’s logs. I couldn’t use the intended main character sprite because my game had a bug or was glitchy, since it couldn’t get past the first backdrop. I  checked all my blocks, and asked Shantanu for confirmation. With the intended main character sprite, it would get stuck at the edge of the backdrop when it should then change to the second one; instead, with my new costume of a blue box, it could get past all my backdrops without difficulty. I also couldn’t program my enemies to hurt my main character, so I ended up saying that they were “harmless.” Therefore, the lives were gone and so were the education points.

Christie’s Log: 5/31 11:30-6:00 Home

I spent the whole day procrastinating and finally adding my questions with some finishing touches. Tomorrow will be the day to combine all the scripts to create the completed group project. I feel pretty optimistic about it, since it’s just one last day until this project will be finally finished. I’m pretty ahead of my Gantt chart as well, since I finished my project ahead of when I thought I would be able to.

Group Log: 6/1 2:15-2:20 BSGE

Manaswi

Bianca

Since Manashwi said that he didnt even start his individual project. As a compromise he stated he would finish by 6 pm latest after many disagreements during lunch. But I realized in the past he would say he had many extra curricular activities after school so i  went to Shantenu and asked him what we should do if we can't rely on Manaswi. I  was introduced with the idea of making a group project of just two projects because the idea that Manaswi could finish by 6 pm with his busy schedule was unbelievable. Shantenu said he would be fine with letting christie and I  do the project ourselves but it would be our decision if we wanted to wait for manaswi to see if

he would keep his promise. Christie and I  agreed we would probably do it ourselves. When i  got home i  sent an email informing manashwi about the new conditions and since he didn't respond protesting he wanted to contribute over 2 hours we started the project ourselves

Christie

Bianca told me in school today that Manaswi didn’t even start his individual project, and when we checked it out on the school computers, it was true. His excuse to us is that “I can’t type because of my arm,” but Scratch is not mainly about typing. It’s about scrolling with the blocks. Some typing too, but shouldn’t be that difficult with one hand. And he has his right hand, even better. Bianca and I decided to talk with Shantanu if we could finish our group project ourselves, since we don’t trust Manaswi to finish his on time and combine the projects. Shantanu agreed, but still insisted that Bianca still has to place credit for him for creating the main character sprite. We agreed to Shantanu’s terms.

Christie’s Log: 6/1 4:30-8:30 Home

I hardly expected combining the games to be so difficult. I think it took me so long because I was unfamiliar with the foreign game my friend contributed to the group project, the only other game since Manaswi didn’t contribute at all. I had to fiddle around with the blocks to make them all fit. Added to the fact that I wasted my first 30 minutes frustratingly wondering why I couldn’t backpack the backdrops, until Bianca told me I had to download them first. My new roles were to combine the title page to the first game and the first game to the second game. I didn’t know which backgrounds were which, since I renamed them when importing them to the new group account. After around 4 hours, I finally got the hang of it, though the second project’s enemies could now no longer be seen. I discussed this with Bianca, and she agreed a compromise could be made about her enemy sprites since they couldn’t be programmed to work properly anymore.

Evaluate

Christie’s Individual Project: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/63612374/

The strengths I can highlight in my group product is my individual project and the effort I spent to combine both games with the title together. I could improve my group work by adding enemies and sound effects.

Group Project: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/63610990/

Group Log: 6/5 10:10-10:25 BSGE

Improvement Plans:

Manaswi Mancha

My priorities are to

Bianca

My priorities are to make the music more specific to the energy. And make the enemies and lives work.

Christie

My priorities are to add more chrome.

Here's my individual contribution:

Here's my group's contibution:

The Laskovian Challenge

by: 20azmals

Sharupa: My game is about science and the different branches. The player will be asked questions and be part of many of the objective is to complete all the missions to stop King Lasko’s evil plans to destroy Laskoville.. Some of them will be multiple choice. Others will be figuring out the answers. This will encourage people to try to get questions right. The increasing level of difficulty will be that you will get more questions your critical thinking ability. The objective of the game is to make players learn stuff relating to science. This is not going to be a multi player game. The chrome will be the story based on the game. The obstacles are really difficult questions that test your critical thinking skills and also you have to get past some real life obstacles that help you in life.   

There are other people in my group which are Raj, Abby, and Rachel. Raj's game was based on math. He did a game that was a zombie invasion and it was that they had to defeat the zombies by answering math questions and by defeating the zombies you can get to the treasure. Rachel's game is based on geography. There are many different questions related to geogrphy. In her game she asks questions about the geography about different places as well as the history of them as well. In Abby's game she is focussing on the aspects of spanish. So her game is based on Wonderland and everything that is in the game helps you learn spanish as well as tests you on what you have learned from each lesson of spanish that you have read. 

Game Design - Sharupa

Part I  - Game Mechanics

A. Rules: You can’t use any knowledge from the internet or from any notes. This is a test of your own knowledge about science. Only for some questions you are allowed to use some information. Also you have to get all of the questions right in order to get onto harder missions.

B.Game Play/Engine: You are going to get a missions to stop King Lasko who is doing evil in his kingdom.     

C. User Interface: The person playing the game is going to to have to have to use all of the keys on the keyboard. If not all at least some since there are a variety of questions that could be asked such as multiple choice and critical thinking questions.

Part II - Objectives

A. Story: You are in the kingdom of King Lasko. His kingdom is called Laskoville. You are one of the smartest people and in secret you’re a secret agent but no one else knows that other than you. You live in a mansion and have everything you want. A ton of weird stuff is happening in King Lasko’s kingdom so you get missions to stop all the corrupt stuff happening to help the people. So you have to stop him doing evil by accomplishing all the missions successfully.

B. Characters

• King Lasko who is the ruler of Laskoville. (corrupt)

• The player aka the amazing secret agent

C. Levels: Each mission is like a game level. If you complete one mission you go onto the next one which is harder than the last mission. Each mission will start out easy and will become harder.

Part III - Obstacles

A. Bosses(?) : The boss that you have to defeat is the evil King Lasko and he will be asking you questions. You will have to answer the questions he asks you and they will be all critical thinking questions related to science. He will sometimes come in disguises but you won’t be able to recognize him unless he conveys his thoughts.

B. Puzzles/ Riddles: There will be no riddles since I don’t know any science riddles relating to science.

C. Leveling Up: Every time you answer a specific amount of questions for each mission you move onto the next mission which is considered another level if you think about it.

Part IV - Chrome

A. Graphics/ Art: The backgrounds such as the places where the missions will take place. I will probably upload some of the backgrounds but most likely they will be from Scratch. The characters will probably be from Scratch as well. so there really isn’t going to be that many cool looking graphics.

B. Sound/Music: Whenever the player gets  question right there is going to be a sound. If they get a question wrong there will be another sound. There will be a ton of different music playing to give the player motivation.

C. Academic Content: So by answering the questions related to chemistry and physics and other stuff related to science people playing this game will gain a better understanding of the different branches of science. These questions will be related to many aspects of our everyday lives and how science is related to them.
In Raj's game the rules were to only get as many questions right as possible. The story behind this game is that a town has lost everything they had that was considered precious to them to zombies and now the player which i a boy will have to answer math questioons in order to gain the treasure back. The characters in this game are the mayor, the zombies, and the boy who is the player in this game. There are 3 levels in this game and the third level will be the hardest to complete. The obstacles are the zombies. There are only going to be two backgrounds in his game. There is no music in his game and the academic content in his game is only math and pre algebra questions. In Rachel's game the rule was to try to answer all the questions correctly. The story basis was that there is a war in Europe between Germany and Russia and your on the Russian side so now your knowledge of geography will determine which side will win the war. The player is the russian general and the the other character is the german general. There will be levels in her game. There will be many different sounds and the academic content is geography. In Abby's game the rule is that you can't get help from any outside source. Her game is basically wonderland except that it is played in spanish. There are characters from Wonderland included in her game. Like there is a lot and I'm too lazy to name all of them. She has no levels. This game is bascially an adaventure and along the way there are obstacles you have to overcome.

Sharupa: Individual Developers Log #1 5/20/15 Home(5:00 pm -6:30 pm)

I got a head start on my project. So today all I had to do was create enemy sprites, create the main player and create backgrounds. Everything was pretty easy to do. All of the sprites were from Scratch so it really didn't take me long to organize them. The main player sprite was easy to get. I didn't have any enemy sprites really. That was a change of plans. I actually really didn't have any enemy sprites to even make. The only enemies were the questions. There are other sprites but they are used for the questions that are being asked. Otherwise you can say I had a change of plans for my project. This is why I think it will suck since it has no enemy sprites. I don't think having enemy sprites is important since it's really about the questions. But anyhow  the backgrounds were easy to do as well. Except my title sequence since that required so much editing and designing. I took at least an hour for that since I kept on making mistakes and I had to keep on adjusting it. That is what I did for the first day of my project.

Sharupa individual Developers Log #2 5/21 at school from 1:30 pm-2:00pm

The group didn’t work together. instead we did our own projects in our individuals accounts. I had already completed the first part of my project at home according to the schedule of my gantt chart. Now today was suppose to be my free day. But since I'm in class I have to complete something so as a result I started working on the scripts. The first thing that came into my mind was the title sequence. So I started working on that. It was tough at first since I had no idea what I was doing for the first 15 minutes. Then I finally figured out something so for the remaining 15 minutes I made the title sequence. Even though I didn't complete that much work I still have a head start at least.

Sharupa individual Developers Log # 3  5/23/15 (5:00 pm- 7:00 pm) home

Today I was working all alone as you can see. Since I had a head start now came the big obstacle for me which was to write the script for all my characters. So far for Isabella Bond the main character it was easy so far. The introduction to the game and such. After creating her introduction I created the introduction for King Lasko. That was also easy as well. Then I had to guide Isabella to her first mission. Now this part was the most tiresome. I had to come up with questions related to science and to tell you the truth science isn't my best subject. So coming up with the questions took me an hour and thirty minutes just for that one mission. I had to look at my notes for science and come up with questions. It was muy muy muy tiresome. At least 2/5 of my project is complete. That the good part. I didn't have any other issues other than getting tired and really hungry.

Sharupa  individual Developers log # 4 May 24, 2015 (5:49 pm - 7:34 pm)

Today I finished the second and third mission for my animation. The obstacles I had once again were trying to comeuppance with questions for my animation. I also had the issue of not recognizing how to make some of them hard. I thought with each mission the questions would get harder. To tell you the truth they didn't. All the different questions got mixed up. So now there really aren't any levels. He he he looks like my big plan for this game is looking like a failure. But to fix up my issue of question making I just looked back at my science notes. Even though this game is not going the way I planned I still think it will be alright.

Sharupa individual developers logs #4 5/25/15 (4:30 pm - 6:25 pm)

Today I got my project finished on time. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! During the last mission there was some drama I put on there since I didn’t want it to become really boring. Plus I was getting tired of making this so I wanted some entertainment. The same issue came up again which was coming up with questions. Once again to solve that issue I looked back at my notes. My project works perfectly and I am very confident it will get a good grade.  And all that work just made me hungry for pizza again. Plus not to mention the fact that it was so tiresome and boring to me to do this project. Since I am not your science person you know.

Sharupa: Developers Log # 5/26/15 Tech Room 1:15-2:00

Once again our group worked on our individual projects again. I was like the only one who finished my project so as a result I just looked it over to make sure it was perfect. I was also very talkative so for me it was a very unproductive period.  But I was done. I just made a couple of edits and at the same time as well. One of them was like changing one of the questions to incorporate a sprite. Also I helped some of my group members as well like telling someone how they can get rid of the white background from their character from storyboard that. We didn't have a group discussion today but I tried to help others with their projects at the most. There weren't any issues today for me so I was all good.

Group Developers Log #1 5/28/15 Tech Room, School BSGE 1:20 P.M.-2:00 P.M.   

Sharupa:

In the today’s group meeting we were busy remaking our group account since we forgot the password to our old one. We still continued working on our individual projects but at the same we started connected our projects. I started working on the credit rolls by making the backgrounds. I finished all of most of them now and basically I am done with the credit rolls. Now I won't have to do it on the 29th which is tomorrow . Looks like a ton of relaxing time for me don't you think.

Abby: In today’s meeting, things were chaos and busy. We are so very behind schedule because things are running late. However we sorted things out partially. Afterwards we went into doing our individual project and we scheduled other meetings where we will actually work on the project.

Rachel R: During today’s session, our group had forgotten our password and we went through about 10 minutes of arguing so in the end, we just decided to make a new account, with a new password and username. After I finished this, I still had some time left so I spent it on working on my individual project.

Raj: In today’s meeting, it was chaos and everything was so disorganized. In this group session, I worked on the beginning scenes for my group project. In other words, I worked on the beginning part of my group’s project where all of our game’s names are shown and the player has to click on one of our games so that they can start playing it.      

Group Developer’s Log #2 - May 31, 2015 - Each Of Our Homes - 1:30 P.M. - 2:30 P.M.  

Sharupa: Today, we all met as a group and didn’t work on our individual projects. Today, we each checked over all of the other group members’ projects. I believe that everyone did a really nice job and I think that we can all do well on this project. Though, we aren’t so great as a group because during the meeting and checking over each other’s projects - everyone started to yell at each other a lot. It just never stopped. I finally got everyone to quiet down though being so smart as we can all see. This is what you get for having the sass master in your group. Oh yeah out of the entire group I was the one yelling the most and i think i almost lost my voice. I’m glad that vitamin water exists at least. It cured the pain and the complete suffering I had to face while working with my group. And pizza was also a great help. I was hungry while screaming at them. And then after a whole pizza I was still hungry so I ate donuts too. My group puts too much pressure on me thats for sure. BUT WE ALL SURVIVED!!!! YAY!!!!!! I forgot who started the fight but I know it’s not me thats for sure.   

Raj : In this work session we all worked as a group and met up with each other. In this session, we all checked over each other’s projects. I thought that everyone else’ projects were very interesting and showed a lot of effort. Though, in our meeting, it was anarchy because everyone was yelling at each other to fix parts of their project and it was just crazy.       

Rachel R.: Today, we met up as a group and worked on our group project. We didn’t do work on our individual projects because they were all done. Instead, we checked over each other’s projects and made sure that everyone project were good and made sense. However, our meeting was completely chaotic because we all just kept yelling at each other. It was like such a headache. But we got over our fights and I’m confident that we’ll get decent grades on this.   

Abby: In this work session, we all met up as a group and worked on our group project. We didn’t work on our individual projects as we completed them fully. Today, we looked over each other’s projects and determined how good each of them were. However, it was a crazy meeting because everyone had to shout at each other when trying to tell the others about the mistakes they made and the fact that some people were not there on time!Of  and sharupa thinks she yelled a lot, I gonna press charges!

Sharupa Reflection -      

1) The highlights of my individual project is the dialogue and the title sequence. The dialogue is in the introduction and in the last mission. Those were the things I was proud of since that was where I got to be creative. Also the title sequence was something I worked on for like an ur just for the designing so that was something i am very proud of because not only does it show effort but it shows beauty.

2) My individual project could've been better if I made more harder questions. That way it would show as each mission continued you would be getting harder and harder questions to test your skills and knowledge. But still even with the mix of hard and easy questions it really doesn't matter.

3) The contributions I made to the group were that I made everyone's credit rolls. Most of my group forgot about that so I reminded them and I made them for our entire group. This is why my group is lucky to have me in their group.

4)We can improve our group work by making sure we cooperate more and that we stop screaming at each other. Yeah when that happened I just got really hungry and annoyed at my group. I mean it takes so much effort just to make your group shush.

5) Abby: She did an astounding job of linking our projects together. She did it so fast and efficiently it was like magic. She was like the cover of my iPad. Like making my iPad looks good and all.

Rachel: She made us a new group account after we forgot the password to our old one. It was helpful since we might've wasted a ton of time just trying to figure out what the password was. So she helped us save time and be more efficient.

Raj: He created the beginning transition part of the project. That wa helpful because this is how our projects would have a smooth transition.

6) Abby: Not much really she did all of the hard work and she did it in such an astounding fashion. It was like one of the biggest things that she could've done. She was a major help and I don't think I will be able to ever repay her

Raj: I feel he could've helped Abby more with the transitioning since Abby did most of the transitioning and he did one part. The amount of work that he could've done should've been greater otherwise it was pretty good.

Rachel: I feel that she could've done more other than just making the account of the group. She could've helps us check each other's project and tried to see if all the requirements.But she had a really huge project so it really doesn’t matter. She did her part of the contribution well.

Individual Project:

Group Project:

Back to Seventh Grade

by: 20pengw
My Scratch Project Title Screen

Investigate

Group Concept (Type of Game): We each have different kinds of games, and completely original concepts, all put together into one game.

Each Subject For the Group Member’s Project

Subject

Person Doing the Subject

Type of Game

Science

Rashmika

Side Scroller

Music

Melyssa

Trivia

Humanities

Lia

Strategy

Math

Winston

Platformer

Design

Math:

• Story

• Jake loved playing hookie, and whenever he played hookie, he always went to the park. At the park, he would always do parkour, and he soon became really good at it. However, he had to go to school, and he was failing math. The teacher, furious, sent him into a game stimulation in the past, to solve math problems. However, the teacher luckily loved irony, so she decided to make the game stimulate parkour, something that she knew that Jake loved, but with a catch. Jake had to parkour up to what the answers to the questions were, and if he got them wrong, game over, and he would be trapped in the game forever.

• Obstacles

• The platforming jumps are not going to be very easy. The obstacles however, are going to be the incorrect answers. For some stages, you will need to jump over the wrong answers, while in other stages, the wrong answers might be a decoy. At the end, I’m thinking of including a boss that would shoot out a bunch of answers, and you have to jump over the wrong answers, and touch the right answers to damage the boss. However, I’m not too sure about adding the boss in, as I’m not that confident of my programming skills.

• Game Mechanics

• The person would need to platform up to the correct answer. Up will be jump, and arrow keys to move left and right.

• The answers will be in multiple choice, and the answers per choice will be in the instructions.

• There will also be power ups. The pi hat will make it so that the character moves faster (get it, because the digits in pi are infinite, and in Toy Story, Buzz said “To infinity and beyond” meaning that he would be moving at super speeds in order to get into space, so that’s what the pi hat is for). The x head power up will make it so that the character has two chances.

• Objective

• To get every single problem correct while avoiding all of the wrong answers. The object of the game is also to not fall into certain traps that would make it so that the person would be forced to fall onto the wrong answer or something.

• Questions

• All will be multiple choice, and the question would always be stated by Jake.

• Character

• Jake is a guy on a skateboard.

Plan

Resources

• Tools

• Scratch

• Computer

• Search Engines

• Creative Commons

• Materials

• Creative commons pics

• music

• blocks

• scripts

• sprites

• information

• backdrops

• whole projects

• Location

• Home

• School

• Hangouts

• Calling *Phone maybe*

• Time

• 12 Days

• Labor

• Several people working on an equally fair amount

• Rashmika

• Science

• Making a remix out of “Da Evil Unicorns” on scratch, her own project

• Winston

• Melyssa

• Music

• Making a remix. Not sure of what, but I’ll figure it out. *looks at games*

• Lia

• Humanities

• Making a remix. *Still in process*

• Money

• No money

Action Plan

Rashmika

Melyssa

Lia

Winston

Role

5/20

5/21

5/22

5/23

5/24

5/25

5/26

5/27

5/28

5/29

5/30

5/31

6/1

Rashmika’s main character

Winston’s Main Character

Melyssa’s Main character

Lia’s main Character

Rashmika’s Enemy Character

Winston’s Enemy Character

Melyssa’s Enemy Character

Lia’s Enemy Character

Rashmika’s Levels 1, 2, 3, and 4  

Wnston’s Levels 1, 2, 3, and 4

Melyssa’s Levels 1, 2, 3, and 4

Lia’s Levels 1, 2, 3, and 4

Title slide

Combine games

Questions

Developer's Logs

Winston:

5/22/2015 BSGE, 10:00-10:15

Today, I worked on the title screen, and I managed to finish it. Although I was supposed to do it yesterday, Scratch was off, so I had to do it today. Nonetheless, I feel like I’ve done it better than I could’ve done it yesterday, so there’s that. I also managed to link it up to each of our games, and made it so that they would pop out when the mouse went over the words that would then be clicked to activate the level.

5/24/2015 Home, Time Unknown

Today, I worked on the intro. sequence for my game, and tried to make it so that the words would fade in and fade out, as the reader read through the story. I also tried to make it so that the reader had to press the spacebar in order to continue reading after they were done with the first slide. Initially, I had wanted to make it kind of like a slideshow, but then I realized that this seemed cooler and easier to make. One of the problems that I had was that whenever I pressed the spacebar, it would always skip ahead two slides instead of one. To prevent that, I made it so that there was a variable, and the variable had to be equivalent to a certain number, before it switched to the next screen. I added a 1 second wait time before the variable went up again, so that Scratch would know to not skip a scene.

5/25/2015 Home, Time Unknown

Today, I worked on my actual game. Since it was a platformer game, it was really hard to do. I had to go onto youtube, and follow the instructions that the person presented to help get the platformer to act like, well, a platformer. One of the difficulties that I had was that whenever I tried to get the guy to move, he just wouldn’t. I fixed it, when I realized that I forgot to set the speed variable to a certain number. I just never put the speed variable in the script. The video that I watched was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPHrXuGHGNc&list=TL6rsnHfW4RLw&feature=iv&src_vid=NlSMFJIKmZ8&annotation_id=annotation_1066032843.

5/27/2015 BSGE and Home Winston

Today, I didn’t do much compared to how much I thought I would be able to do. This is partially due to how at school, Scratch was down, so that meant that I was going to have to do it on the Scratch program that they have, and then upload it to my actual Scratch project later. However, the thing is, the Scratch program that wasn’t Cloud Based was unfamiliar because some of the characteristics were different from those that I was used to. Then, at home, I found that I couldn’t even really upload it to the Scratch website without replacing the entire project. Essentially, I had done nothing at school (which is why that is being combined into this one), and I had wasted time trying to figure out how to import the script onto Scratch. All I really did so far was create the goal point and test it out to be sure that it worked, but not nearly as much compared to what I did last time I worked on the project.

5/28/2015 Home Winston

Today, I added in a special Easter egg for my project that would activate if you were in my group. I polished up the first level, so now it is completely finished. I completed the pi power up, but I have yet to test it. I encountered no difficulties today, and nothing really bad has happened. I don’t feel as though I am following the Ghantt chart, because according to that, I should’ve finished the levels by now, but I’m only on level 2, which is taking longer than expected because of the power-ups.

5/29/2015 BSGE Winston Home

I have added both of the power ups that were needed to help accomplish some things that I intend to include in the boss level. I now have a better idea of what I should do in my boss level. I think that I should make it so that the boss asks a question, and then shoots out answers. You have power ups right above your head that you have to hit if you need to either jump over certain incorrect answers or something else. One of the difficulties that I ran into was that whenever I pressed the space key, it would skip back to the level. I fixed it by realizing that I forgot to increase one of the variables, so now I think the glitch is fixed. I feel as though I might still finish even though I am behind schedule, and not really following the ghantt chart at all. Now might be a good idea to explain why I did the platformer programming before I got all of the questions that I would put in the game. I did it because I thought the programming would be the hardest part, so I was trying to figure out how one of the programming bases worked. Then I realized that there would probably be a video on Scratch (or rather animation on scratch) for how to create a platformer, so I found one, and it told me to go onto youtube, since the current animation was outdated. Since it was on youtube, I decided to do the program then because sometimes youtube is disabled on my computer (sometimes, it just doesn’t load, although it’s probably because I haven’t found the time to download a browser better than internet explorer and I keep on forgetting), I decided to just do it then instead of the questions.

5/31/2015 Winston Home

Today, I finished my game. It’s only two levels because for some reason, whenever I try to put in a level 3, the game just becomes super laggy (and by that I mean I would say that the game crashed, except for the fact that the see inside button still works). I have no idea how to fix it, so the only solution is that I have to remove level 3 entirely. This means that I have no boss level, but I’d rather have no boss level and a non-laggy game, rather than a boss level that is super laggy and glitchy. I’d also like to mention that there is a glitch in the second level where you have to go to the left and then to the right to kill yourself, before you can play the level, but besides for the fact that it made it impossible to have a no death streak in my game, it isn’t that big of a deal.

Group Meetings

Lia

My group worked well together to combine our project over FaceTime. There had been glitches within the project but everything worked nicely.

Melyssa

Rashmika

6/1/15

5-7pm

Hangouts video call

I think that today, our group did exceptionally well on working together. We critiqued each other's  projects and we combined them. This took quite a while because some of our games had errors that we had to fix along the way which was really difficult. It also took a while to combine the games, because then we discovered even more glitches! I was also able to ask my group members for help  in fixing the errors, and they helped me solve the problem! Except, in transferring the games there was a glitch which Winston mentioned on his side in the last paragraph, which I was able to fix.. It is in my latest developer's log. All members were present.

Winston

6/1/15

I think today, our group was phenomenal when compared to the task that we had to complete. Today, we for some reason, found that whenever we tried to combine our separate games, there were suddenly 50 billion glitches that we never noticed before. It also didn’t help that sometimes the backpack feature glitched, and didn’t bring over all of the things that we put in it. However, it helped that my group members were around since I was able to see what other people did and see how I could make my own project better if I had time e.g. add sound effects, or to make the question part of the background instead of the ground sprite. I think it was a great experience, but still nonetheless, it was frustrating trying to combine all of our group projects.

I’d also like to mention that there is still a glitch in Rashmika’s game with backgrounds that we didn’t know how to fix, because such a glitch wasn’t there in her individual game. In Lia’s backdrops, for the group game, they’re different because the backdrops weren’t transported correctly, so we had to manually redo them.

Here is my group project:

Here is my personal contribution to the game:

Science and Unicorns

by: 20zhangr

Rachel: Understanding which Substances are Safe [Chemistry]

Ex. 3 substances are in cups ready to drink. A little kid is very thirsty and wants to drink something. One of them will kill the child and it must be eliminated. Narrator: Which one is unsafe? An element in each of the liquids appear on each of the three liquids. If the player doesn't choose a liquid in the ten seconds allotted to the question, the child will drink the astatine and blow up. The player will lose a life. When the astatine goes into the TARDIS, it will disappear and the child will drink either one of the liquids based on the game player’s choice. If another liquid is shot, the player loses a life and the child drinks the astatine and lose a life.

Rachel:

Understanding which Substances are Safe [Chemistry] portion of the game

Narrator Sprite

The Finding of the Music

Everybody

Sara Mui

Abdullah Sayed

Rachel Sage Zhang

Task

5/20

5/21

5/22

5/23

5/24

5/25

5/26

5/27

5/28

5/29

5/30

5/31

6/1

Create Home Page/Title Sequence

Sage Animation+Sprites+Backdrops

Sara Animation+Sprites+Backdrops

Create  Unicorn

Add Music

Merge Individual Animations

Credits/ Conclusion

Abdullah Animation+Sprites+Backdrops

Group Log 5/22/15 8:30-9:00 BSGE

Abdullah: I fixed the unicorn’s animation. The animation is now much smoother. I decided on a title for the project, with reluctant admission from my group members. I am now set to start working on my sections of the group project. I hope to have a hub completed by the end of the weekend, and my individual project started.

Sara: Today I found the links to all the resources we used and I was looking for and I tried to find a picture of a better rainbow, but was unsuccessful in finding a good picture.

Rachel Sage Zhang: Today, I worked on starting the individual portion of the animation. I am not done yet and I will have to continue when I get home. I expect to finish this portion by Memorial Day. I also helped to work on the group project’s credits section while talking with group members on deciding a title. We had disagreement and difficulty in creating a title because Science and Pink Fluffy Unicorns Dancing on Rainbows was too long.

DL#1

May 23rd, 2015 12:54PM Rachel Sage Zhang’s Residence

Today and yesterday, I started the work on the questions in my project. Yesterday, I went to New Jersey and came back very late. I didn’t get a chance to do anything that wasn’t extremely minor. Before, I didn’t think that it would be very difficult but I underestimated how hard it would be to allow a player to select an answer through a sprite. I’m a very inexperienced sprite user and I don’t know how to make it work. I’ve been trying for over an hour (It’s 2:28PM right now) and I don’t know why the TARDIS isn’t working. I’m still on the first question and I have to overcome this problem before doing anything else. I kept on testing and now at 2:44PM I have figured out my problem. I wasted a lot of time trying to figure this out and I am less confident in my ability to create this project successfully. My first question if the example in the Investigate section and if it was that hard to animate a question already in script, it makes me question how I am going to do the other questions (7 more questions).

DL#4

May 24th, 2015 2:29PM Rachel Sage Zhang’s Residence

Today, I created a couple more backdrops to my animation and experimented more with my animation to try to fix my first question. I switched several times between the wait until and if then blocks to see if I would be able to make to work. After trying several times, using the if then block worked. For a reason that I don’t know, the if then block had been unresponsive before. I will have to work on the rest of the questions on another day. and add at least another day of work for all the trouble this has caused for sure.

DL#7

May 25th, 2015 4:53PM Rachel Sage Zhang’s Residence

Today, I worked more on the creating the questions but not animating them. So far, I have the first question animated and the rest of the questions will be increasing in difficulty and the player will receive 10 more points on that question than they did on the question before that . I still am having a lot of confusion with my animation but I will figure it out eventually. I’m going to keep on experimenting.

DL#10

May 26th, 2015 9:54 PM Rachel Sage Zhang’s Residence

Today, I continued the creation of the questions and the animation of the first question. I attempted to include the variable, time but it has led to unsuccessful results. I don’t even know why. I will have to ask someone for help to figure this out. This portion of the project is definitely going to take a lot longer than I thought it would. I asked Sara to help me by changing my password. I think I may just move on to another portion until someone can help me decide what to do. We have just decided to exclude the time limit so all the work I did today trying to put it into my animation was useless. I will be needing A LOT more time to work on this.

DL #13

May 27th, 2015 9:01AM BSGE

Abdullah Sayed: I think that today was a sort of refreshment for us as a group. We coordinated ourselves, and discussed what is ahead, seeing how all we did was discuss. We got little work done since the internet was experiencing some technical issues. We, however, did help Sage fix her project. She had a broken broadcast system, and mixed up scripts.

Rachel Sage Zhang:

Today, the other group members helped me to fix my project and find why it wasn’t working. I think we have generally fixed the problem but I still have another 7 questions to animate. I’ve only completed the first question and we only have a week until the project is due. Sara was working on the hub and Abdullah was starting his Individual Portion. However, due to the internet being down, we didn’t really start to do anything until around 8:30. During the time before that, we were merely discussing what we were going to include and not include in the project. I am really behind and I have a lot of work to do with what I know will not be a lot of time to do it..

Sara Mui:

I was continuing to fix the disastrous mess I created yesterday, but due to the lack of internet connection, I couldn’t get much done because I had the same tab loading for a straight 20 minutes.

DL#16

May 28th, 2015 12:37AM Rachel Sage Zhang’s Residence

Today, I finished up creating the questions and since this didn't involve any form of coding or anything to cause me technical difficulties, I managed to complete this in a fair fifteen minutes. I couldn't spend much time working on the project today because I was not home until around ten PM.

DL#17

May 29th, 2015 8:15-9:00am BSGE

Abdullah Sayed: I worked on my first question, and it is essentially complete. I spent a significant portion of my time helping Sage with her messed up project. Sage’s project has multiple technical issues, and we may need to give it special attention. I will work on my project significantly at home today.

Rachel Sage Zhang:

Today, Abdullah helped me to figure out how to move on to the next question. However, I still don’t understand and don’t think it is going to work. Now that my first question has been completed, now the issue is transferring between questions. I have the same backdrops for losing a life and gaining points after every single question. He will have to explain his ideas more thoroughly. I don’t think his idea of duplicating backdrops and putting them after the losing a life and gaining 10 points will work because I won’t be able to switch the backdrops to other questions. I will have to work on a lot and figure out how to change my project. If I use Abdullah’s way, I will definitely need help because I have no idea how to do it.

Sara Mui:

Today, I remixed my group animation and I started to modify it in order for it to match my project. I had to create a duplicate of my main sprite because I had to stop the scripts of a whole sprite but needed that sprite for future uses.

DL#19

May 30th, 2015 3:32pm Rachel Sage Zhang’s Residence:

Today, I worked on creating all of my backdrops. Before, I didn’t think I would need all of these backdrops because I would go back to the same backdrops after each question.Yesterday, I realized that then, I would have no way to change between different backdrops to go to different questions. The same question would be repeating itself over and over again. I had to create 2 different ending  backdrops for each question, one for getting the question right, and another for getting the question wrong.

DL #20

May 31rst, 2015 9:26AM Rachel Sage Zhang’s Residence

Today,  I finished all of my questions. I did a lot of work today and I didn’t have a lot of time to do it. I woke up extremely early to complete this because I am going somewhere and will not be on a computer for the rest of the day. The rest of the questions were easily animated because I got the hang of it after the first question. As for the individual portion, I am on pace but as a group, we have to work a lot on combining everything.

DL#22

June 1rst, 2015 3:46PM Rachel Sage Zhang’s Residence

Today, we have to work on combining our animations and unifying them to act as one.Abdullah and I have added our portions to the group animation and now we have to create the credit roll. However, I don’t know how to move my backdrops which I will have to ask someone about. I will create another developer’s log when we meet as a group later today. We also have to create a credits roll and make sure we have all met the requirements and constraints of the project.

DL#23:

June 1st, 2015 7:23PM-11:34PM

Rachel Sage Zhang:

Today, I created the credits and made some touches to animations so that we would have a good connection between the animations. It now runs smoothly and the credits will be found when a button in the corner that says credits on it is pressed. It is pretty much complete. However, after creating the credits, my entire portion went absolutely nuts. As of now, we still have no idea what happened but the solution in the end was to just delete the backdrop that was randomly appearing and interrupting the animation.

Abdullah Sayed: Today I finished the last question and smoothed over a series of technical issues. I helped connected many of the parts of our group project. However, after the connections were made, in assist with Sage, the project was conflicting with itself. Sprites and backdrops appeared, and moved almost randomly. We solved the problem by deleting a backdrop that seemed to be causing conflicts.

Sara Mui:

Today I (started the main portions) and finished my animation. I knew this would cause a delay to my group, but sadly I had no time and worked on it whenever I could.

Evaluation:

I managed to complete my animation almost the day before it was due and everything was extremely rushed on the last day (today). We had many problems and I have no clue why a random backdrop change occurs in the middle of my part. I will have to investigate further and hopefully, I will be able to fix it by tomorrow although it is not likely. I also created the credits for the animation. However, I went through a lot of difficulty later on because a portion of the credits would just appear out of nowhere and the around chemicals portion (my portion) appeared before anyone else’s. I tried to narrow down the problem but since it was really late, as in right now, I decided to just delete the backdrop because it was necessary. This miraculously solved all of our problems except for the around chemicals button appearing first. I think that if I had made the animation a bigger priority earlier, I would be able to finish it earlier and be of bigger contribution to the other parts of the project.

As a group, we worked well together and made compromises that helped the group as a whole. We made good decisions together and other members were willing to adapt to my ideas even if they were at the last minute. Group members kept an open mind and we didn’t have any hateful relationships the way I have seen in some of the other groups.

Sara Mui

Positive: Sara contributed to many meetings with good, essential ideas that were helpful to the group. She accepted other ideas and had some of her own that were good as well.

Negative: Sara didn’t finish working on the individual portion of the animation until the day before the due date. However, her project was completed successfully and added to the group animation.

Abdullah Sayed

Positive: Abdullah did a lot of work and completed them in efficient periods of time. He was the one who completed the most work on this project and as shown in the Gantt chart, he covered a wider range of tasks than either me or Sara. Without Abdullah, our project would not be as successful.

Negative: N/A

Plan for Improvement:

Rachel Sage Zhang:

I would work on power-ups and making the project more interactive. My project isn’t exactly boring but it isn’t interesting either. I need to make it more interactive and interesting so that a player will be more engaged in my portion of the game. By improving the game mechanics, I would be able to make the game much more interesting. As of now, my game is working very well and there aren’t any glitches. That’s my top priority right now.

Sara Mui:

I would add the backdrop that I wanted to add in the first place before my plugin crashed, and I am going to try and make my project more interesting by adding more graphics and maybe some easter eggs.

Abdullah Sayed:

I will try and go over my project to fix bugs, and technical issues. When my project was on the smart board, it had an issue of repeating a dialogue. As soon as I got home, this issue was non-existent. There may be further hidden bugs. Lastly, I want to review the connection of my individual project to the group project, as I had not payed much attention to it. I may also want to add easter eggs, or such.

Plan for Improvement:

Rachel Sage Zhang:

Sara Mui:

Abdullah Sayed:

The Potato Trials by AlgerianPudding

by: 20alim
Super Quiz Challenge! ULTRA EDITION! Image

Investigate:

Brainstorming Ideas:

• Game with questions after every level

• Multiplayer: every time you answer a question right, you get to attack the other player. Also whoever answers the question right first gets to attack the other.

• Racing game, every time you answer the question right, you get to move forward in the race.

• Platformer where you need to answer quizzes to advance.

• A role playing game where it takes place in the exploration of Christopher Columbus.

Subject Ideas:  

• Humanities - Nia

• Science- Daniel

• Math - Elio

• Technology - Murtaza

Project Idea:

We will create a multiplayer quiz game. The group will create a engine and we will all create our own version with questions pertaining to one topic above. We will then combine all of the quizzes into one game. The game works by having one or two players on the same computer and picking an answer. You will be awarded points for the correct response and a fast response. The winner will be selected at the end. This game helps the player learn by trial and error about these subjects.

Design:

We will have a group project where we create an engine that everyone will create their own variation to based on the subject selected.

Game Mechanics: We would have a point system in which so each question correct would be 10 and each incorrect question would be -5. You move your selection with arrow keys or WASD and enter with shift or enter.

Objectives: To beat your partner, or the other person, and to get a higher score. Try to get as many points as possible, and try not to lose any points. To be knowledgeable about the subjects.

Obstacles: We will have a NPC character who will ask the questions and you will have to play against another player in multiplayer mode.

Chrome: Music (We will have the jeopardy theme playing when the player is trying to answer a question), the interface to choose the answers (We will have 4 answers where only one answer is correct), the character asking the questions (We will use a boy character.)

Individual Questions:

Technology (Murtaza):

1. Should you give your whole name on the internet? (No)

2. You get a email saying you can get 5 million dollars if you send 1 thousand dollars to a algerian prince. Is this too good to be true? (Yes)

3. Should you connect to an unknown WiFi network? (No)

4. You see a popup on the internet saying, “Your computer has a virus! Download this free Get Your Junk Out of My Trunk Cleaner today!”. Should you download this? (No)

5. Is a trojan a type of malware? (Yes)

6. Is a virus a type of malware? (Yes)

7. Is a cold a type of malware? (No)

8. Someone on the internet starts harassing you. Is this cyberbullying? (Yes)

9. If someone on the internet starts cyberbullying you, should you save evidence? (Yes)

10. If someone on the internet starts cyberbullying you, should you print it or just call your parents to look? [Type either “Print” or “Parents” without “
    ] (Print it)

11. Someone asks you for your password to an account on the internet. Should you give it? (No)

12. You see your account was changed and you don’t know why or how. Should you change your password or just ignore it and change it back? [Type either “Change” or “Ignore” without the “”] (Change)

13. If someone is cyber bullying you, after saving evidence and telling an adult, should you block the person? (Yes)

14. *New TOPIC: Bytes* Convert 500 Gigabytes to Megabytes (512000 MB)

15. Convert 1024 Megabytes to Gigabytes (1 GB)

16. Convert 1 Terabyte to Gigabytes (1024 GB)

17. Convert 54 Terabytes to Gigabytes (55296 GB)

18. Convert 5 Gigabytes to Megabytes (5120 MB)

19. Convert 9054 Gigabytes to Megabytes (9493807104 MB)

20. Convert 6502 Terabytes to Megabytes (6817841152 MB)

Plan:

Resources:

Tools: Computer, Scratch, Google, Creative Commons

Materials: Pictures, Picture of dice (http://pixabay.com/static/uploads/photo/2014/03/24/17/14/dice-295198_640.png), Music, Blocks/Scripts, Information, Sprites, Backdrops

Location: School, Skype, Google Hangouts, Google Drive

Time: 12 days

Money: $0

Labor:

• Murtaza: Technology

• Daniel: Science

• Nia: Humanities

• Elio: Maths

Action Plan:

Gantt Chart:

Murtaza

Daniel

Elio

Nia

Everyone

Date

21/5

22/5

23/5

24/5

25/5

26/5

27/5

28/5

29/5

30/5

1/6

Unavailable Days

Create Scripts for Engine

Only small thing

*Help with concepts.*

Create Sprites

Add in Science Questions

Add in Humanities Questions

Add in Math Questions

Add in Technology Questions

Create Backgrounds

Link all the Games together

Group Log, 22/5/2015, 9:50 - 10:20 School

Nia: When working on the group project, I think we were able to communicate, and hear each other out. However, there were some slight problems about scheduling, and work loads, which we are still working on, and figuring out, but otherwise, we worked well together.

Daniel: Today, I went and found several backgrounds and sprites that I will need for my part of the part of the section which includes a periodic table of elements.

Issues: I found it hard to get the periodic table to fit as a sprite as it wouldn't go into the position I wanted.

Fixes: I turned the table into a backdrop so I can enable it for the questions that need it.

Elio: We communicated with each other well, however our schedules were so thin that it's hard to make everything in time. Some issues that were found during this work time was that we found out many of our dates did not match up with everything else. We fixed it by switching the dates to make it more reasonable. Some of the problems we encountered were some

Murtaza: Today, I made a studio inside the Algerian Pudding account and added the projects inside of them. I also found that my schedule was the most open and I was doing a bulk of the work, so what we did was we split the amount of work with other groups a lot more fairly. It became a lot more reasonable. We made the Gantt chart better by fixing the dates we would work on, and collaborated more.

Nia: We didn't really get to do anything today, but the engine should be done soon, and inserting questions should be quick, because it's just copying and pasting.

Murtaza: I was barely able to do anything because the internet was soooo slow. I was not even able to connect to the scratch website. We also decided on a name for the project.

Daniel: Today, I was able to create the title screen and game over screen. It was very hard to do because the Internet was very choppy and the website kept reloading. Our group decided on the name Super Quiz Challenge. The engine should be done soon.

Elio: We were unable to work because of the slow internet, also the game engine was not finished so there was nothing we could have done. However, we were able to plan out some dates where we could finish large portions of the project.

Murtaza Log 5/28/15 ~6:00 PM

I worked on the game engine and finished it. I just need to talk to the group and explain how it works, etc. I need to talk to Daniel tomorrow to help me with fixing up glitches, etc. Making sure it fits everything we need. I feel good! There were no problems either.

Group Log, 29/5/2015, 9:50 - 10:20 School

Murtaza: Today, Daniel and I worked on the engine. What happened was that the engine was being good, but it would be super complicated for everyone. We restarted most of it so that it would be much more easier, and it actually is. Broadcasts are the best thing ever! We are on schedule. We had to move forward some stuff on the gantt chart because I had to delay the game engine a bit. We all talked about it because we were overloaded at the beginning of the week. We also have to redo the backgrounds because we don’t have where it came from, so there is no giving credit, etc.

Nia: (Absent from school)

Daniel: Today, Murtaza and I were working on the engine. Murtaza had an engine ready, but we needed to overhaul some of the details so we copied the existing engine over. We almost finished the answer and point system. We are just on schedule, and the reason we were  a little delayed with starting because we were busy lately. Elio worked on fixing the Gantt chart and updating it as we had a hard week with tests so we had to bump everything back . Some issues we encountered was getting the questions to respond properly, but we finally were able to get it to work.

Elio: Today we were able to fix the Gantt chart into times where we were able to actually work. Also Murtaza was able to fix and revise the game engine. A problem that we encountered was that Nia was absent, which made it hard to talk to the entire group. However we fixed this problem by adding in notes to the document to help explain what happened today. Another problem that was encountered was that some people were not doing enough work according to the Gantt chart and we had to change some of the things to make the work somewhat even. Overall the work done today was great because we communicated and were able to find problems and fix them.

Murtaza Log 5/30 11:30-11:50

I just added a probability part to the game engine which was fairly easy, just redundant. I had to do a lot of duplicating. The only problem I had was figuring out how to do the probability. I also edited the gantt chart to say I worked today and to say that I will add all of the games together. I also created a NOTES sprite for the whole group to see it and look at how everything works so they can edit the game engine for themselves. I also added the game engine to the subject projects so people can edit theirs.

Group Log, 1/6/2015 Skype

Nia: I finished the individual project and worked hard on it today. I had a few problems with it, for example, it kept logging me out. The last time it logged me out and said the only way I could save it would be to log back in, I kept trying, but it wouldn’t let me log in. The only way I could save it would be to quickly create another account, so I did. Of course, there was another problem – I couldn’t find my individual project while searching for it while on the group project. Finally, I found a way, and someone else will link all projects together.

Elio: We all worked on the individual projects today. A few problems that I encountered was that I realized that a few of my questions were hard and had to be changed so I had to change the questions. Also the gantt chart had to be fixed because it was realized that it was incorrect and had to be fixed. The way that the group communicated was by skype. Overall, the group worked well together however having some problems from time to time.

Daniel: Today, I continued to add chrome to my individual project and testing the group project. For my own project, I added a periodic table of elements to help the player with some of the questions. I then went to the group project and played several rounds to ensure that everything worked properly. Overall, we had a very good day and were able to finish the project on time.

Murtaza: What I did today was that I waited for everyone to finish their individual products. I then linked all of the projects together. I got a little help with sprites from Elio. The problem with linking was that the broadcasts were conflicting with each others individual projects, so I had to sit through changing the broadcasts. A change to the Gantt chart was that Nia was supposed to add the questions for my Tech Group project, but because Nia was even late on giving in her individual project, I had to end up adding the questions to mine. I had to stay up pretty late working fixing all of the broadcasts because some people finished the individual product late. In the end, the group did well, fixing up problems.

Group Developer Log “Plan for Improvement”, 6/5/15, 9:40 AM, School

Murtaza: If I were to improve the project, my main priority would be to improve the transitions in the project. I want it to look nicer (Elio and Nia will do that). I want everything to be smooth so its not choppy and blocky.

Nia: If we were to improve on the scratch project, I would help to improve on the chrome, and specifically on the background of the project. I would make it more “smooth,” and cool. I will do different backgrounds for each subject so you can tell the difference.

Daniel: If I were to improve the project, I would try to improve the flow of the project by adding transitions and music as well as fixing some confusing questions. I want to add a try again button at the end of the project and also start to work on the multiplayer aspect.

Elio: I would improve the chrome or the characters and add more characters. I would do this by making another robot or another character entirely. For each subject I would have done a different character that fits into the subject. For example, the robot for tech, a mad scientist for science, a mathematician and a historical figure for humanities.

Evaluate:

Group Project: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/63723012/#player

Murtaza’s Project: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/65206328/

Reflection Questions:

1. What strengths would you like to highlight in your individual product?

Murtaza: I think I would highlight the questions in my individual product. I want to highlight those because they go from easy to hard. It also includes some math towards the end. At the end, the math is basic, but gets harder and you might even have to use a calculator!

1. How could your individual product have been better?

Murtaza: I think the graphics could have been a lot better. They didn’t look the greatest, but then again, this is scratch.

1. What significant contributions did you make to your group other than your individual product?

Murtaza: I created the whole entire game engine and added extra time so adding in the questions would be super easy for my other group members to do. I also spent a lot of time linking the products together because the broadcasts were conflicting and I had to fix them. I worked on this part for more than 5 hours.

1. How could you improve your group work?

Murtaza: I think I could improve my work by doing a bit more debugging if there was more time. I could thoroughly go through each question. I think we could have also improved because I thought our group wasn’t really organized and we worked independently a lot instead of meeting up.

1. What positive contributions did each other member of your group to make the group?

Murtaza: The other members of the group worked on a good amount of chrome. They also motivated me a lot when I was working on the game engine and linking all of the products together. They gave me ideas and ways to fix problems too.

1. What contributions could each other member of the group have done to improve their contributions?

Murtaza: I think we all could have communicated better. This is because I felt we were not really that organized and people were making some decisions without telling others. This made it hard for me when we were linking the projects because I then had to talk to everyone to make sure the projects would fit the theme, and made my part a bit harder. I also did feel a bit overwhelmed and felt at some points that I was doing a big chunk of the work.

This is my Individual Product:

This is my Group Product:

Become a Mathematician

by: 20mancham

Investigate

Group Name: ScratchGameTeam

Group Project Embed Code: <iframe allowtransparency="true" width="485" height="402" src="//scratch.mit.edu/projects/embed/63610990/?autostart=false" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Manaswi: Physics

Bianca: Geometry

Design

Manaswi

Game Mechanics:

Rules-

Kill all the enemies.

Get all the mini-graduation diplomas.

Kill the huge graduation diploma.

Not die.

Game play- Use the game controls to overcome bosses and correctly answer the questions to pass units.

User interface/Game controls- Space= shoot to overcome boss, left key= move left, right key= move right, forward key= jump, and backward key = crouch.

Objective: The main character has to score at least 75 knowledge points out of a total of 100 and not lose all it knowledge saves

Story- A boy wishes of someday becoming a mathematician. In order to achieve his dream, he knows that he will have to get good grades and answer questions correctly.

Characters-1 boy with black hair and is holding a gun

Levels-There will be 3 different major levels

Obstacles:

Bosses-

college students

university officials

Graduation diploma

Puzzles/riddles/questions/traps- There will be questions throughout each unit and then one final question at the end of each unit. You have three lives until you lose all your knowledge so the bosses kill you.

Leveling up- After each level, you will gain new knowledge; this knowledge will later be applied to kill the diploma. Each correct answer will let you continue on with the game for different stages and each final question about the unit will take you into the next level.

Chrome:

Art/Graphics- Sprites will come from Google Images. The background will be the images of the Harvard University campus. Sprites may come from Scratch or be hand-drawn.

Sound/Music/Sound Effects-Sound will come from Scratch.

Group

Game Mechanics:

Rules-

Game play-

User Interface/Game Controls-

Obstacles:

Chrome:

Sound/Music/Sound Effects-

Manaswi-Sound will come from Scratch.

Plan - 

Resources:

Materials -

Location - School, Google Hangouts

Time - 12 days

Money - $0

Labor -

Manaswi

Bianca

Christie

Action Plan:

Gantt Chart:

Manaswi

Bianca

Christie

Task

5/21

5/22

5/23

5/24

5/25

5/26

5/27

5/28

5/29

5/310

5/3

11

6/1

12

Unavailable

Main Character

Enemy Sprite

Combine 2nd and 3rd Scripts

Create

Group Log: 5/22 9:45-10:15 BSGE

Manaswi;

Bianca

The workload organization

how we should do our jobs

Christie

Group Log: 5/22 2:10-2:45 BSGE:

Manaswi:

Bianca:

Christie

Manaswi’s Developer’s Log 5/24/2015 5:00-8:00 P.M. BSGE

I have successfully completed the main character that will be utilized in creating the final integrated group work. The main character is essential for without the main character, there will be no opportunity for the players to experience the game, which will be done through the main character. In order for my group members to working on their individual projects, I had to create a main character. I created my main character. I utilized the Google Images to determine a suitable protagonist costume. I downloaded the image and then uploaded the image to Scratch. In Scratch, I refined the image and I shared it with my group. 1 conflict that I faced was that Google Chrome was malfunctioning. When I started Google Chrome, the Google Chrome would run properly for sometime and, afterwards, the Google Chrome would shut down automatically and unexpectedly, deleting most of the hard-work that I did. In order to resolve this, I had completed my project in another website browser. In order to be safe, I saved my project more frequently.

Group Log: 6/1 2:15-2:20 BSGE

Manaswi

My clavicle was broken and, therefore, I was not the the physical condition to do all this work. I never made any promises to anybody regarding the finishing of the work by a certain deadline. Scratch is not about typing, it is mainly about moving blocks. I did not break my hand, as I told them numerous times before, I broke my clavicle. I could bearly get up from bed without screaming and crying, I could not hold a laptop and work for hours on end; it was just not possible.

Bianca

Christie

Group Log: 6/5 10:10-10:25 BSGE

Manaswi

My priorities are to finish my project, upgrade the chrome, and make the game have less lag and glitches.

Bianca

Christie

My priorities are to add more chrome.

Tech 7-1 Da_Ninja_Coders (Lia, Winston, Melyssa, Rashmika)

Investigate

Subject

Person Doing the Subject

Type of Game

Science

Rashmika

Side Scroller

Music

Melyssa

Trivia

Humanities

Lia

Strategy

Math

Winston

Platformer

Humanities:

• Characters asking questions to go to their “destiny of a future”

• Time travel

• Trivia

• Strategy

Music:

• Questions about lengths of notes.

• These can be multiple choice or matching.

• Trivia about composers.

• These will definitely be multiple choice.

• Trivia about types of instruments.

• There can correspond a picture of an instrument to the name of the instrument and ask to match them.

• Adding notes.

• This will be like math, only it is about adding the time lengths of notes.

Science:

• Balance points

• Show diagrams and ask about where the balance point is.

• Inquire about newton’s laws.

• First law- ask about inertia

• Second law- Give formulas

• Give a picture of equipment

• When giving these pictures/ images, ask what it is. Provide different names for multiple choice

Design

Humanities:

• Game Mechanics

• Rules

• You have to follow a plan by finding answers to create the correct history for the person you are helping.

• Gameplay

• To do this, the character will be sent to the library and have to answer questions as if they are searching for information. For example, putting a book sprite to ask the questions. By answering correctly, you are able to create one correct path that the person would have followed in history. For instance, a time line.

• User Interface/Game Controls

• The players will interact with the game by answering questions, and picking who they will help. By picking who they will help first they will have to go on a journey for each character or only one of their choosing.

• Objectives

• Story

• Each game begins with the story of one character. As you go on the journey you will create the history that was destined to happen and help the character. The story will end when the character can pick up the pace and make sure the future is not doomed.

• Characters

• The characters could range from the American Revolution to the Civil War. For example, George Washington or Harriet Tubman.

• Levels

• The levels will consist of how well you complete a character’s journey. If you choose, you can only help one, two, or all three.

• Obstacles

• Bosses

• The bosses will be the people trying to take the characters and mess up their history so the future could be messed up.

• Puzzles

• You will have to answer questions on events to go on the quest.

• Level up:

• You level up when you get an answer correctly and you progress.

• Chrome

• Art Graphics

• Famous historical figures

• You/ the navigator

• A map to get around

• Sounds/ Music

• No music

• Academic Content

• Everything was mentioned.

Science:  

• Game Mechanics

• The player is playing as a guy with a jetpack. The arrow keys will move this player. There will be a question and a few choices. The choices will be placed at different parts of the screen and the player will move their character to the answer they think is correct.

• The rules are to go on the correct answer so that you can gain points and possibly level up.

• Objective

• The objective of each level is to get to a certain point range to pass it by answering all the questions correctly.

• You try to save the world fro the evil unicorns with your genius powers.

• Obstacles

• There are unicorns and when you hit them, you lose points which keep you from saving the world and leveling up. The number of unicorns increases as the levels do.

• Chrome

• The graphics, the background is just blue, but the unicorns leave a trail of rainbows.

• The sound effects that the player makes when they use the jetpack.

• Story line: You are a genius and have the same iq as Albert Einstein. You have to save the world from unicorns by using your genius powers.

• The subject: Science

Math:

• Story

• Obstacles

• Game Mechanics

• Objective

• Questions

• Character

• Jake is a guy on a skateboard.

Music:

• Game Mechanics

• Players can answer trivia questions on each level that if are solved, will get you to the next level and will regain a part of Mozart’s memory.

• The player will answer different questions through each level. Mozart will give the players hints on some questions.

• The player will interact with the game by using the mouse and clicking on the different answer choices.

• Objective

• The game starts with Mozart at his violin, starting to play it. However it sounds terrible. Mozart tells us that he fell down on the ground and hit his head on the harpsichord he owned and passed out. After a while, he woke up, and didn’t know ANYTHING about music. All he knows is that his last name is Mozart, and he was an amazing composer and musician until then. He thinks him asking you questions will help him recover.

• Characters

• Mozart: A famous composer. In the game, he gets amnesia and needs help remembering everything.

• You need to answer all of the questions in each level correctly. The higher the level, the higher the difficulty.

• Obstacles

• Each question will be about anything music-related. They will be multiple choice questions.

• To level up, you must answer all the questions correctly. One wrong and GAME OVER.

• An obstacle would be that the questions get harder as each level passes.

• Chrome

• A creative commons picture of Mozart will be used.

• Backgrounds that are creative commons will also be used.

• The game will teach kids facts about music and about the addition of musical notes and the many different instruments there are to play.

Plan

Resources

• Tools

• Scratch

• Computer

• Search Engines

• Creative Commons

• Materials

• Creative commons pics

• music

• blocks

• scripts

• sprites

• information

• backdrops

• whole projects

• Location

• Home

• School

• Hangouts

• Calling *Phone maybe*

• Time

• 12 Days

• Labor

• Rashmika

• Science

• Winston

• Melyssa

• Music

• Lia

• Humanities

• Making a remix. *Still in process*

• Money

• No money

Action Plan

Rashmika

Melyssa

Lia

Winston

Role

5/20

5/21

5/22

5/23

5/24

5/25

5/26

5/27

5/28

5/29

5/30

5/31

6/1

Rashmika’s main character

Winston’s Main Character

Melyssa’s Main character

Lia’s main Character

Rashmika’s Enemy Character

Winston’s Enemy Character

Melyssa’s Enemy Character

Lia’s Enemy Character

Rashmika’s Levels 1, 2, 3, and 4  

Wnston’s Levels 1, 2, 3, and 4

Melyssa’s Levels 1, 2, 3, and 4

Lia’s Levels 1, 2, 3, and 4

Title slide

Combine games

Questions

Developers Logs

Lia:

5/22/15, School, 10:00-10:15

I have worked on the characters which was what I wanted to work on today. I successfully was able to work on this because it did not take me as long as I thought it would. The results shocked me because I was able to find clipart that matched my needs and desires so I was pleasantly surprised and delighted after today's working session. This makes me less nervous about the future sessions to come because I really didn’t have any problems doing this.

Mel:

5/22/2015 BSGE, 10:00-10:15

I worked on the characters for my project. I am almost done making the character Mozart. I will then make an enemy character tomorrow. Some issues that I had were finding the whole body of Mozart that had s creative commons license. I eventually found one, and am almost done erasing the unneeded parts of the photo.

5/29/2015 Home, 4:00-5:35

Today I decided to use scratch to make costumes for Mozart. I finished coming up with good questions to ask. Now  I have to code them on Scratch.

5/30/2015, home, 1:00-3:15

I finished the game, but a problem I encountered was that everything was deleted, and nothing was saved.

5/31/2015, home, 1:00-6:50

I redid the whole project. Even though the project was mostly deleted, the backgrounds remained intact. I had to remake Mozart's costumes, get the costumes for the obstacle characters from the scratch library, and recode the entire project. It took a while, but the project is finished.

Rashmika:

5/22/15, BSGE, 10:00-10:15

Today, I worked on my individual subject--science. I had already previously finished the characters since I'm remixing a game I previously made. I worked on the the questions and scripted when they had to show and hide, as well as the results in which the player moves the character to each answer.  

Winston:

5/22/2015 BSGE, 10:00-10:15

Winston:

5/24/2015 Home, Time Unknown

5/25/2015 Home, Time Unknown

Today, I worked on my actual game. Since it was a platformer game, it was really hard to do. I had to go onto youtube, and follow the instructions that the person presented to help get the platformer to act like, well, a platformer. One of the difficulties that I had was that whenever I tried to get the guy to move, he just wouldn’t. I fixed it, when I realized that I forgot to set the speed variable to a certain number. I just never put the speed variable in the script. The video that I watched was: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPHrXuGHGNc&list=TL6rsnHfW4RLw&feature=iv&src_vid=NlSMFJIKmZ8&annotation_id=annotation_1066032843.

5/25/15 Home, 1:00-2:00- Rashmika

Today, I did some of my level one. This was extremely difficult since I had to work through all the glitches of the game, find out how to make it educational, and make questions, Making the first part is always most difficult since you are starting from 0. Now, since I have the scripts established for the questions, everything is going to be much easier since now I have a guideline to follow for my scripts. I also made some question.

5/27/15 School 10-10:15

When making this, I was allowed to use the scratch program. This way I could save it on my drive. I was able to make my beginning story and not waste time. All I need now is levels or questions.

5/27/15 BSGE 10-10:15 Rashmika

Today, I ran through my game to look for improvements and errors in the scripts. I did find a few errors, one was that the points would affect  the game more than it is supposed to. I fixed this by making the sprites hide faster than they are supposed to.

5/27/2015 BSGE and Home Winston

5/28/2015 Home Winston

5/28/15 Home: 9:30-10:30

Today, I finished all of level 1 and all the levels are going to take a lot longer than I predicted. However, it's going to be much easier now since I have a model to follow for other levels. I ran into no issues.

5/29/15 Home: 5:00-5:40am Lia

Today I tried putting together what I did in class to start my levels but it turned out it didn’t want to cooperate so I have to redo it.

5/29/15 Home 6:00-6:30am Lia

I finally finished my introduction. I am on to my levels now. I think that it will get easier as I go along. However, I am very satisfied with my intro not taking an hour as I predicted and it turned out nice than I thought.

5/29/15 School: 10:00-10:15 Lia

I am starting level one. I am so excited to see what will become of the new project! All I need to do is add questions and make sure the points match the questions. I think that now I will be able to finish and I am more optimistic about it. I feel way better than I was in the beginning of the class and I was pretty optimistic in the beginning of the class and now I can say I’ve really exceeded my expectations. I hope the levels don’t take a long time because we are kind of pressed on time. I wouldn’t say we’re “Behind” or “We should have started earlier” because at this point it shouldn’t take too long to make it and put it together. For this project I will try and have an optimistic opinion because negative attitudes towards this can get me no where. *Found that out last project so I will try and change my view* I am not following my gantt chart sadly. My group was working well. Winston showed me how to use points and we were trying to put the project together. Overall the project is doing well.

5/29/15 Rashmika : BSGE 10:00-10:15

Today, I perfected and polished my level 1. It is perfect now and I can just copy the scripts and edit them to fit the game! This is good! Makes my job much easier! However, I am kind of worried about two of my other group members as they barely started. I am worried we won't be able to do it in time. I ran into no issues.

5/29/2015 BSGE Winston Home

5/29/2015 Rashmika  Home 8-8:30pm

Today, I looked over my level 1 for glitches and realize how long even just one level can take! I saw a glitch in which the background wouldn’t change and couldnt figure out why. I will save this issue for the next session.

5/30/15 Lia 1:00-5:30

I finished my game. Everyone was getting anxious about finishing which made me realize that it might as well get over with. It took a while but it's finished! Finally. I wonder whether the rest of my group has finished or not. However, I am satisfied that I have done my share and no one needs to be upset over me not participating. It was a fun game that I had my brother and mom play. It mostly revolved around year dates so I hope it was okay. Other than that I found it kind of tedious to make. Tomorrow I should see if it has any errors but it is done. I am very proud o the results. I have shared it for all of my group to see.

5/30/2015 Rashmika  Home 10-11:36

Today, I finished level 2 of my game. All I have to do is finish level 3 and I am done! I feel confident that I will finish. I ran into no issues.

5/30/2015 Rashmika  Home 10-3:36

Today I finished my whole game! It took me a while because there were a lot of glitches that were really difficult to fix. There are two glitches in which the sprites won’t hide when they are supposed to and I have no idea how to fix that.

5/31/2015 Winston Home

6/1/15 Rashmika Home: 11-11:30 pm

Today, I added instructions to my game, and while I was checking over the final group project, I found a glitch in my work, so I fixed it. I realized my glitch wasn’t my own programming issue, but it was rather that my group members and I shared a common variable ‘score’ so the system got confused. I changed the variable to ‘score for sci’ and I fixed it! Other then that, I ran into no issues.

Group Meetings

Lia

Melyssa

Rashmika

6/1/15

5-7pm

Hangouts video call

Winston

6/1/15

Evaluate

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/64448912/ (Winston’s Math Project)

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/63716460/ (Lia’s Humanities Project)

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/63716978/ (Rashmika’s Science Project)

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/64974498/ (Mel’s Music Project)

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/65169572/#player (final group project)

Final Thoughts About the Project and Group Participation

Lia :

Rashmika- She had a timely manner and wanted to get things done early. Even though we were behind schedule she still managed to try and keep us on task.

Melyssa- She had been participating with the project. She had finished hers on time too.

Winston- He had been keeping up with his gantt chart and was on task. He did a phenomenal job of making the title and was definitely always on track with his work.

Myself- Throughout the project my partners had been urging me to finish. The gantt chart had made me feel like I was procrastinating as well which kept getting me nervous but the truth is I still was on time. I didn’t find the gantt chart useful but the group participation was amazing and I couldn’t have asked for a better group.

Winston:

Rashmika- I think that out of all of ours, hers was the most creative because although it didn’t really seem to have much of a backstory, the game design is something that I’ve never seen before. Also, I really liked how she added sound effects.

Melyssa- I think that Melyssa had the best backstory out of all of us. I really liked how although the idea of the main character getting amnesia is common, I thought the fact that she made a historical figure get it was genius. It was not only an interesting idea, but it also showed us how important the brain was to us.

Lia- Out of all of ours, I think Lia had the best characters. I thought it was neat how the character that was trying to restore the character's past and future was a key, so it was almost like a symbol itself.

Myself- I feel pretty good about my project because although I had to borrow quite a bit of stuff from other people, I felt that it also made me think more creatively and helped me problem solve better. There were times where I felt pretty frustrated when I thought that my program was going horribly, and there were impossible glitches -- some of them even causing me to delete entire levels or characters. I feel as though a pretty good job, and I’m smarter than I was before.

Melyssa:

Winston: I think Winston was really creative and hardworking when making his project. He would always work in a timely manner and get his work done. He contributed a lot to the group effort.

Lia: Although she didn’t follow the gantt chart, she did a really good job managing her time. Her project was really creative, and the backstory she made was a good idea.

Rashmika: She did a really good job in managing her time. Her game was a remix of a different game she made, and it was interesting. She followed the gantt chart, and wrote her developer’s logs right after she did work.

Rashmika :

Winston: I think that Winston was one of the hardest workers in the group. He always went above and beyond expectations, and put his best foot forward. Winston followed his gantt chart well.

Lia: Lia managed her time well, even if she didn’t exactly follow her gantt chart.

Melyssa: Melyssa did a really good job, and I found her final game to be humorous, enjoyable, and at the same time educational. Education and fun were both in this game which is usually very difficult to accomplish. She didn't follow the gantt chart but still finished her project in a timely fashion.

Me (Rashmika):  I kind of followed my gantt chart but I think that I still did really well. I think that the problem with my schedule was that I underestimated the amount of time it would take for each level. However, I think that I did really well on my final project, and tried very hard to do my absolute best. My group at first wasn’t really on track since we were moving kind of slowly, but it all worked out in the end.

survey

http://goo.gl/forms/YHjRHhde5w

Developers Log:

During class to fix the game

We need to each finish glitches, make backstories, etc.

Lia:

I have to fix the score that's in my board.

Rashmika:

I have to add a backstory.

My Individual Project:

<iframe allowtransparency="true" width="485" height="402" src="//scratch.mit.edu/projects/embed/63716460/?autostart=false" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My Group Project:

<iframe allowtransparency="true" width="485" height="402" src="//scratch.mit.edu/projects/embed/65169572/?autostart=false" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Potato Trials

by: 20sahrd

Investigate: Brainstorming Ideas: Game with questions after every level Multiplayer: every time you answer a question right, you get to attack the other player. Also whoever answers the question right first gets to attack the other. Racing game, every time you answer the question right, you get to move forward in the race. Platformer where you need to answer quizzes to advance. A role playing game where it takes place in the exploration of Christopher Columbus.

Subject Ideas: Humanities - Nia Science- Daniel Math - Elio Technology - Murtaza Project Idea: We will create a multiplayer quiz game. The group will create a engine and we will all create our own version with questions pertaining to one topic above. We will then combine all of the quizzes into one game. The game works by having one or two players on the same computer and picking an answer. You will be awarded points for the correct response and a fast response. The winner will be selected at the end. This game helps the player learn by trial and error about these subjects. Design: We will have a group project where we create an engine that everyone will create their own variation to based on the subject selected. Game Mechanics: We would have a point system in which so each question correct would be 10 and each incorrect question would be -5. You move your selection with arrow keys or WASD and enter with shift or enter. Objectives: To beat your partner, or the other person, and to get a higher score. Try to get as many points as possible, and try not to lose any points. To be knowledgeable about the subjects. Obstacles: We will have a NPC character who will ask the questions and you will have to play against another player in multiplayer mode. Chrome: Music (We will have the jeopardy theme playing when the player is trying to answer a question), the interface to choose the answers (We will have 4 answers where only one answer is correct), the character asking the questions (We will use a boy character.)

Science Questions (Daniel):

1. Is the atomic number of Hydrogen 3? (No)

2. Is the element symbol B for Boron? (Yes)

3. On the periodic table, is the the first family Alkaline Earth Metals? (No)

4. What is the symbol of Carbon?

5. What is the symbol of Hydrogen? (H)

6. What is the symbol of Oxygen? (O)

7. What variable goes on the x axis of a graph? (IV)

8. What variable goes on the first column of a table? (IV)

9. Is a control the same as a constant? (Yes)

10. What is another name for independent variable? (Manipulative Variable)

11. What is the freezing point of Fahrenheit? (32)

12. What is the boiling point of Celsius? (100)

13. How many meters is 235 cm? (2.35m)

14. Is a block of wood more dense than a block of metal of the same size? (No)

15. Does Density=Mass*Volume? (No)

16. Does Volume=Mass/Density? (Yes)

17. What has the least mass? Protons, Neutrons or Electrons? (Electrons)

18. Is wood burning a physical change or chemical change? (Chemical)

19. Is gas the hottest state of matter? (No)

20. Are protons positive or negative? (Positive)

Plan:

Resources:

Time: 12 days

Money: $0

Labor:

• Murtaza: Technology

• Daniel: Science

• Nia: Humanities

• Elio: Maths

Date

21/5

22/5

23/5

24/5

25/5

26/5

27/5

28/5

29/5

30/5

1/6

Unavailable Days

Create Scripts for Engine

Only small thing

*Help with concepts.*

Create Sprites

Add in Science Questions

Add in Humanities Questions

Add in Math Questions

Add in Technology Questions

Create Backgrounds

Link all the Games together

Daniel: Today, I was able to create the title screen and game over screen. It was very hard to do because the Internet was very choppy and the website kept reloading. Our group decided on the name Potato Trials. The engine should be done soon.

Nia: (Absent from school)

Daniel 5/31 12:00-1:00 PM

Today, I finished my individual project and added some chrome to the engine. I copied, pasted the questions from this document into the template. I then tested my questions and everything worked well and there were no errors. One issue I had was the fact that some questions would be too hard to only select one answer for, so to save time, I made them yes or no questions and I had to rephrase some of my other questions questions. After I entered my questions, I had my parents take the quiz to make sure it worked.

Group Log, 1/6/2015 Skype

Here is my project!

Here is the group project! 

Legend of Zelda: The Land of the Lost

Project Plan

Resources

• Tools: Computer, scratch, google images, paint tools (pixlr, preview, microsoft paint), piskel

• Labor:

• Erica - Math level

• Charlotte - Music level and potions feature

• David - English level with George Washington and credits

• Lars - Science level (final level with boss) and title page and hub (modifying) and cutscenes and tutorial

• Location: Group members’ home, Hangouts, school

• Time: 12 days

• Money: $0

Action Plan

David

Charlotte

Lars

Erica

All

Task

5/21

5/22

5/23

5/24

5/25

5/26

5/27

5/28

5/29

5/30

5/31

6/1

Create Boss Sprites and Link

Make title page

Make tutorial

Make First level (music)

Make Second Level (English)

Make Third Level (Math)

Make Final Level (Science)

Make Potion mechanic

Make Credits

Make cutscenes

Work on hub

Put everything together

Test it

Create:

5/23/15 3 hours at home

Lars-

I was able to complete my final level about science, although I couldn’t figure out how to make the ranged attacks, I finished the melee and I think it worked out well. I also made a short cutscene after it, but that was about it. I had to increase the health for link a lot, because it seemed extremely hard at 10000 health with ganondorf as an overpowered boss, so I basically had to tone down the death counts by making more health so link wouldn’t die easily. I also changed the link sprite seen here:http://explodingrabbit.com/threads/super-link-bros-update-we-need-you.206/ because the other one wouldn’t work on scratch for some reason. This is the background: http://smashboards.com/threads/brawlbox-creation-showcase-workshop-post-your-brawlbox-stuff-here.260439/page-28 Everything else is fine.

Lars Smeland 5/27/15 School 40 minutes: Today I was able to switch jobs with Charlotte to be able to finish a big chunk of the project. I had some technical difficulties with the potions and thus she gave her tutorial job to me and we switched roles. She was able to work on the potions while I finished the tutorial and Erica worked on her part (Angry Birds) and is almost done. David was able to share the movement blocks so that we could have smooth movements and attacks throughout the entire game, making it much better than it was before. We are making good progress and all think we can finish by Friday so that we have the weekend to test and fix the project until it is done and works well. It is turning out better than expected.

David Madrigal 5/27/15 School 40 minutes: I worked on creating motion in Scratch using a custom variable called X-Velocity, and I helped create the speed for the sprite. I then used a custom block called Jump to test for the acceleration of a key being pressed, and then I converted it into a change into the Y velocity. I also tried importing this feature into my group members’ projects, but I couldn’t due to lack of time. I then began to work on a ScrollX variable for the platforms.

Erica Lei 5/27/15 School 40 minutes: I decided not to add any monsters or random pop math questions because the viewer might want a little break from dungeons earlier. I didn’t add the ropes because Link’s movement allowed the player to have Link “float” around the screen. However, I planned to make the questions harder. I’m still stuck on the Angry Bird mechanic, and I didn’t get to do much today because the internet was down and the websites were slowly loading.

5/29/15 45 minutes school

Lars- Today I was able to finish my individual project and I am done with my part. I just have to put everything together and share it. I am just awaiting my group member's products so I can create the overall group project over the weekend. I “tried” to help David with the platforms and making sure that the side scroller is infinite. We couldn’t solve it but I found that we are okay in completing the project soon and being able to finish it before the deadline.

David- I’ve made a huge mistake. Today I couldn’t figure out how to make the scroll mechanic work properly when yesterday I THOUGHT I had it good, but it was absolutely horrible today, I tried to make clones for platforms but they failed miserably.

Charlotte - Today I continued working on the potions part of the game which actually turned out to be harder than I thought it would be. Some of the blocks I used got really messed up and I wasted time fixing that. But I feel confident that I can finish my portions by tomorrow so that we can put it together over the weekend.

Erica- Today I used a different Angry Bird code from a different project because I couldn’t get the sprite to launch properly. I fixed the broadcasting and the “touching___” . However, when I played the game and got to the final backdrop, the sprite kept on going to the edge of the backdrop. I’m not sure how to fix it, and I was planning to add a few more questions at school today. I need to work on the project some more at home. I am behind schedule. (https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/34602750/#player)

5/29/15 20 minutes home

I was able to fix the Angry Bird problem by setting Shot? to 0 when green flagged is clicked. I added a few more questions also.

6/1/15 5 hours Home

Lars-

I have a few changes. I took music from the project of above called -3d- castle 100% pen! (https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/48266230/). It is the music throughout the game. I was unable to do the unlockable characters because of their different mechanics and sizes as sprites and attacks. If I were to make them, I would have to re program all of the enemies, the movement, attacks and everything else which there wasn’t time or need fore, therefore rendering the mario and sonic sprites useless. I am not sure about David’s progress in the project although it is due tomorrow, he has not completed it for me to see. I cannot put together the project without the first level or else everything will skip around. For the individual project, I had a major problem. I put everything together and it seemed fine, until halfway into it everything started to buffer, nothing was moving quick, everything slowed down, the music made robotic sounds and the spirits didn’t progress like they did separately. Therefore, I was unable to connect the projects, although everything else is fine, it was impossible to connect the projects through scratch. I tried with different remakes, remixes and more but it didn’t change anything. I checked all the scripts and the source seems to be unavoidable lag on my computer and scratch, unable to let me complete it.

Evaluate:

Lars’s Project - https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/64678010/

1. Mainly in my individual product included a lot of health and mechanics that will balance the game. It took me a long time to finish it, test it and make sure that everything is balanced. It helped activate potions, questions, and more that determines losing or winning the game.

2. I could have made it overall smoother and make is compressed, because there was too much for scratch that it lags a lot. I could have also made the movement slower and timed everything and movement better that could help make it smoother and work better as well as look better.

3. I had to work on the cutscenes and help some others with problems such as the variables not working because they didn’t increase. However, it wasn’t included in the final group project because I wasn’t able to get everything and put it together as well as scratch just stop working for me halfway into the creation putting it together.

4. We could have followed the chat better to get more time to be able to add things such as unlockable characters that would need entirely new mechanics and aesthetics.

5. Me: (see 3)
    David: He created the movement. We all put the speed mechanic into our games and used them.
    Charlotte: She helped me with the potions mechanic which was a big thing in the hub. It worked better and helped me finish.
    Erica: She was able to do all the work on time and create her project without much help. She was able to show us her project, almost like a role model.

6. Me: I could have put the scenes into each of the individual products. I could have also helped David with the cloning mechanism, but I didn’t see him online constantly.
    David: He could have made the mechanic more consistent. He changed it the next day so the hub and my level ended up having different movements which was weird for the player.
    Charlotte: She could have made it inside the hub where the potion mechanic is accessed. It could have been inside that would make it easier to put in the project and could have helped the messages put into the project.
    Erica: She could have critiqued our projects to help us a little bit more. That would make sure that we are all happy about the final projects that we each have.

Plan for Improvement

6/5/15, 8:20 A.M., School

David-

I would improve the scrolling mechanic, because Scrolling requires a memorization of the way the variables are aligned, and I forgot how to tell the direction of one scroll side from another, which screwed me up. My scroll mechanic fails miserably, and can not hold enemies. However, fixing all this could create a suitable dungeon where players have to fight enemies to get to the next level, which would be ideal for the current project that I need. I also need to incorporate music because my project needs music. I also need to finish getting rid of all the glitches, and there is also no way to exit the level. Scratch is basic, so I wasn’t able to compute what I needed in time for the deadline. All my project is currently is more of a scrolling simulator, and I need to make it into a dungeon or else the group project would be screwed. The last thing I need to do is make the game fun, right now all that’s fun is walking across a world that contains three screwed up enemies, about 7 platforms, and no way to escape. Soon I will begin to improve everything, but currently there is a lot wrong with my project. The total time it takes to fix the project should be a little less than a week. I will continue to work on the project regardless of how long it takes.

Lars-

I would improve on making the project smoother, but also dumbing it down to a certain extent by deleting parts that weren’t needed. My individual project had problems when I put it together. It would constantly stop, and it basically never stopped even though I had lines that the boss would say to you before you entered the full game. They wouldn’t come up because of the problem that there were too many sprites that still counted as entities on the screen so that there was  a huge problem with moving objects slowly stop moving and all of the lag that went on with the project. I would also have to make the project smoother which meant that I would make sure that the boss doesn’t stop moving when he starts hitting you which makes it easier even though it’s supposed to be hard and took a while to finish with all of the questions and fighting between them. Also, the enemy in the tutorial and the movement is a bit weird, because when you fight, Link almost jumps because of the sprite sheet. This didn’t work well because the loading was done in chunks to he almost just stopped moving a little bit and took a long time to complete it. I would have to change it so that the costume is changed to make it quicker and smoother to attack so Link has somewhat of an advantage while still having a hard time winning to a certain extent. It would make the game easier and more helpful to Link because I saw that the boss battle was extremely hard first and had to fix it with some of these changes.

Charlotte -

I would improve how engaging our projects were because most of our projects were just asking questions, and the user didn’t really get to interact with the project. In my project, the user only got a few seconds of interaction as a reward for answering the question correctly. I think next time we should just incorporate the learning right into our project[s].

I also would want to improve the time I put into this project. I stalled until the night before it was due, so I made it very difficult for myself and Lars, who was putting the project together. I want to put in more obstacles as well because my level was pretty bleak, as there was only Link and one boss. The look of the potion aspect as well as the actual level wasn’t really appealing. If I were the player I don’t think I would’ve enjoyed the game.

I also think I should work more with my group, because I mainly worked individually and I think that’s the reason why we couldn’t put our project together.

Erica-

I would improve on adding more math content to the project because the only math content was at the end, when you got to the last backdrop and played Angry Birds to answer math questions. Also, I would create borders/limit Link’s movement because the player is able to move Link freely around each backdrop, and doesn’t create much of a challenge. The player can become confused as to why some places won’t allow them to go to another place. But if I’m going to limit Link’s movement, then I’ll have to add his jumping mechanic or create ropes or some ladder that allows him to go to higher places. Since the player would have to make Link wander aimlessly around each backdrop, if it’s possible, I’ll add monsters (that don’t ask questions), but attacks your health. Anyways, in the end, Link can regain some health when the player reaches the last backdrop.

(see project page at https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/64678010/ to see the full verision and read developers logs to see why the full project couldn't be made)

Credit to people who worked on the project with me:

Erica: https://scratch.mit.edu/users/20leie/ Youthvoices: 20Leie

Charlotte: https://scratch.mit.edu/users/20yeec/ Youthvoices: 20Yeec

David: https://scratch.mit.edu/users/20madrigald/ Youthvoices: 20Madrigald