All news in Gaming and New Media

The Papi Banana Game

by: 20breent

Investigate

We will design a side scroller game in which the player moves around the main sprite with arrow keys in order to cause the sprite to collect lives, answer questions, and beat the bosses. We will teach 3 different subjects from what we learned in 7th grade.

Rachel will deal with the easy level, which is about math and solving for the variable of an equation.

Christie will deal with the medium level, which is about geography and the player needs to answer questions about geographical details.

Thomas will deal with the hardest and final level, which is about science, like chemistry.

Design

Game Mechanic: Side Scroller. Player uses arrow keys to move the sprite to collect lives. They answer questions using the “ask” block.

Object Obstacle: Boss sprites that are annoying and weird. Bosses ask really hard questions about a specific subject and if you answer them right, you get to hit the boss and make the boss lost health. If you fail to answer the question, then the boss attacks you and you lose a life. I think we should have multiple characters to chose from like they do in Mario Kart.

Chrome: Sprites- A main sprite like and 3 bosses that are really weird. (Pictures are in the Breakdown section)

Backdrops- beach, desert, road.We will use the ones given by the Scratch backdrops

Task

5/21

5/22

5/23

5/24

5/25

5/26

5/27

5/28

5/29

5/30

5/31

6/1

Create Thomas’ Characters

Create Christie’s Characters

Create Rachel’s Characters

Create Thomas’ Backgrounds

Create Rachel’s Backgrounds

Create Christie’s Backgrounds

Animate Thomas’ Level (including music)

Animate Christie’s Level (including music)

Animate Rachel’s Level (including music)

Create Thomas’ dialogue

Create Christie’s dialogue

Create Rachel’s dialogue

Create Intro

Create credit roll

Create title sequence

Music
(Rachel) EXO Call me Baby Instrumental/ Colbie Colliat Try Instrumental.

(Thomas) Onision I'm A Banana/ Dubstep Drop The Bass.

(Christie) Nigahiga & Josh Golden S.W.G Instrumental/ Sia Elastic Heart Instrumental.

Objective:

A sprite needs to escape places where it is. Whenever you ask a question wrong, you lose a life, but if you answer it correctly, you lose none. It is a good idea to have the most lives until you meet the boss. Mini games where the first game is easy, then gets harder and harder and the bosses gets more annoying and harder to achieve. In the regular mini game, you can move around to collect lives, but then you answer a question. Every interval of freedom between questions is important to use the arrow keys to find lives. The instructions to beat the boss is in the Object Obstacle section. Defeating a boss allows you to go on to the next level or win entire game. If you lose, you need to restart the entire game. And make sure not to get them pissed off so they just rage quit.

This is Our Main Sprite:

Breakdown of what each person is going to do:

Rachel Choi: The first level out of the three, which is easy. It is about math, where the player bumps into an obstacle, and they have to answer math questions to keep moving on. The boss level includes questions that are mixed in with a harder level math questions, and if this stage is won, the player is awarded with a chance to advance to the next level. Also, my background will the road DUN DUN DUN...scary.PNG

This is the boss sprite...just a random pokemon character I found on the Internet.

Christie Choi: The second level out of the three, which is medium. It is about geography, like locations of places around the world, capitals of places, geographical features like mountains, native languages of a country, where a famous person or show is from, and nicknames of states. There will be 10 questions. The boss level would have really really hard questions about geography. The boss sprite will be:

He is a weird evil person from a short film on Youtube. His name is Dominic Sandoval and is a Youtuber.

Sample regular mini game question: What country made the song "Xiao Ping Guo"?

Thomas Breen: The third level out of three . The hardest level. It’s about science, physics and chemistry. First, you have to make the right acid to get the boss tipsy. You will have to mix substances to create the cyanide to kill the boss, which will be a dogedoge.jpg

Plan

Resources

Materials: Sprites, like the minion with bananas, boss sprite #1 which is the weird fire thingy, boss sprite #2 which is Melvin who is a really creepy looking Asian, and the boss sprite #3, which is the Doge.

Tools: Computer, Scratch (https://scratch.mit.edu/), Google Images, Paint Tools

Labor: Group Project- Christie will make the introduction and the second level in which the boss is the creepy Asian guy. The second level will be about geography and it will be the second easiest. She will have to make the introduction. Rachel will make the credits and the easiest level in which the boss is the red purple thing. Her level will be about pre-algebra. It will be the easiest and most basic. Thomas will make his own level, which is the hardest level. The boss is the Doge. Since he has the hardest level, he will just do his own level.

Time: 12 days

Location: Thomas, Rachel, and Christie’s homes, school, Hangouts/Google Docs.

Money: $0

Group Log: 5/22 8:30-9:00 AM, BSGE

Christie Choi:

Today, we focused mainly on the music we will choose. I chose SWG instrumental by Golden and Nigahiga and Elastic Heart by Sia. However, I decided to change this because I realized all two of them are copyrighted. Instead of Elastic Heart, I’m going to use the sound effects from Scratch itself. The problem I had was I really want to use SWG, and I decided to just email it to Nigahiga and ask for permission. I’m not going to use the instrumental version. If Nigahiga doesn’t respond by 5/25, I’m just going to choose another music. I need to wait and I hope Nigahiga would reply and let me use the music for our Scratch project.

Rachel Choi:

As for now, today went pretty okay...we just focused on music and finding the main sprite. Before when we were discussing the chosen main sprite, it wasn’t common core therefore it was copyrighted. We had to find another main sprite; luckily it went went well. The problem I ran into was that I couldn’t find the music I chose at home at school, today. I thought I could log into my other email and look through my youtube history to find the 2 videos for music but I failed… anyways I found the music again and downloaded it in school. This was actually easier because the creator of the video allowed using the music only if you credit him...so yeah I think I’m doing good.

Thomas Breen:

Today went pretty well. All of us decided what music we were going to use and sent emails to their creators to get copyright permission. I asked Onision for permission to use his song “Banana Song (I’m a Banana). If I am not granted  access I plan on using a creative commons licensed dubstep like song

• Thomas Breen-  5/27, 5:29 PM,, Home

I am way behind schedule. I barely started animating my scratch. All i have is the title sequence. I made this three slides to make it funnier.

5/27, 8:15 AM-8:55 AM, School

Thomas Breen

Today it was hard to get anything done. I waited the whole periosd for the web pages to load, and when they finally loaded, it was time to go. We discussed what we were goingto do, but it was pretty much useless.

Christie Choi

Today what I did was connect all the questions together. I mainly duplicated many scripts and just changed around some of the wording. I already had the questions, and all had to do was link it. The problems was that the Internet was really bad, so I had to suffer and it was slow, so I couldn’t really do a lot of things except for duplicating. I did it well so far. To resolve this, I should just work on it at home.

Rachel Choi

Today was a very bad day. The Internet wasn’t working so I couldn’t do anything…I was expecting to do a lot but oh well. The most I did was saving the music to my USB, which was a beneficial. I hope to do better next time.

Rachel Choi- 5/29/15 School 8:15 AM- 9:00 AM

I’m pretty behind schedule, so I was debating on whether or not I should remix another game so that the work would be easier. But after talking with my group, I realized that remixing a game would be harder than actually making the game. They stated that finding the right game is hard to do , and even if you did, other people may use the same game to remix it into their game. I have no confidence in finding time and getting my part done my time.

Tomas Breen- 5/29/15 8:15 AM- 9:00 AM, School

I am extrememly behind schedule. I decided not to remix the game, and I have all the music. However, I didn’t start making the project yet, and the sprites are still a work in progress.

Christie Choi- 5/29/15, 8:15 AM- 9:00 AM, School

I am still behind schedule, but I think I’m catching up, like I fixed my problem from yesterday. I found what music to use, and finally found some creative commons music. I’m going to use See You Again by Charlie Puth ft. Wiz Khalifa and I’m going to use

Loving U by Sistar instrumental. I need to work on the boss sprite and the introduction. Things are getting better right now.

Hub Fun

Group Project Journal:

Investigate:

We were thinking that our game shouldn’t be a remix and I thought that it would be fun if the game was original. We wanted our game to include some action and suspense allowing the gamer to have fun playing the game while still making the game educational. We could make our game a logic game where the character needs to experience some weird adventure and then uses his/her critical thinking skills to get out of this weird land. This game is able to put the player in a weird position causing him or her to be extremely careful of his or her actions. Like Ayiti the character has to learn how to support his/her family and we want our game to intrigue the gamer and make them have the will to beat the game. ~Sofija Obradovic

Design:

Game Mechanics:  

Rules:

1. You only have a few lives so make sure that you use your many lives usefully.

2. Try and stay safe by staying away from the other characters.                                      (Warning: Other characters could slay you and make you lose lives.)   

3. Play games using whatever skill(s) needed in the game.      

Gameplay:

The players will be able to do all of this by going into different worlds and trying to complete each world with a certain amount of lives. For each world the life count will be set to three and then go down as they lose lives. This, however, will not affect other worlds/games.

User Interface/ Game controls:

1. The player would use the P button in order to return to the hub.

2. The player would use the mouse to click on the world(s) in order to choose the world they want to go to.

3. Each game will have controls that are specific to their game, but the main controls will be the arrows to move around and space to jump. (If applies.)

Chrome:

Zainab: The fact that the graphics will be fun and you have to keep trying to reach the top makes the game interesting and would eventually engage the player.  Also the sound effects would make the game more fun to play.  

Sofija: The sound effects will have a lot of effect on my project because they have to provide the sound effects for my fire blazing that will be taking place in the world.

Franklin: The sound effects will allow the gamer to be more enthusiastic to keep persisting in reaching the highest level they can. The graphics will grab the player’s attention and allow them to be more lively when playing the game.

Julie: The graphics will be very interactive, since you will be able to create your own world.

Objective:

Story: The story will begin by the player being introduced to the main character which will be their avatar. The story will end once the player has defeated the final boss.

Characters:      Name: The Doctor

Age: 1900 yrs old

Backstory: Comes from a small town named Leadworth in England. Is Scottish. Is

a  ginger. Very brave. Very strong. Is very patient and clever. Loses faith easily but gains his trust in people quickly.

Levels (Worlds):

Sofija: My world will be based off a fire/hell type world. You will have to have a concept of chemistry and creating different chemical equations in order to pass the level. This will correspond to the fire around the player.

Julie: My world will be like terraria, and can be based in the player's decisions in crafting. You will have to collect a part of an apple in order to move onto the next level, which would serve as a link to other games.

Zainab: My world will be a world up in the sky with clouds (I know it sounds weird). You must jump on clouds, however, you can only jump on the ones that have the corresponding word that fits the definition on the bottom of your screen. You will be working your way up to the top, in which you will have won the level.  As time progresses however, the words/definitions get more difficult and become more advanced in vocabulary.  (question and answer)

Franklin: My world would be an undersea place without any levels and there would just be lives.

Obstacles:

Sofija: There will be a riddle that will have to be completed in order to stop the fire that could potentially kill the player.

Franklin: There will be some sort of timer that will stop the whole game when the answer given is not correct.

Zainab: There will be clouds with incorrect answers on them, and if the player chooses that, he/she will get bumped down to a lower level.  

Julie: There are creepers and gels that will try to attack you, but you can kill them with an axe.

Bosses: There will be one overall boss in the fifth world. There will be bosses or challenges in each world that will have to be completed in order to get the supplies for the last world.

Sofija: There will be a boss in my world that will be creating fire that comes down on the player and the player has to figure how to stop the fire from burning them.

Julie: No bosses...

Zainab: No bosses...

Franklin: The boss will be sea animals trying to disturb the process of the balls movement.

Puzzles:

Sofija: There will be a question that asks what the player would like to do with the fire and it will have to involve chemistry and a basic knowledge of combining elements.

Julie: at the bottom of the screen, there will be trivia questions when you open a chest.

Zainab: On the bottom of the screen, definitions or words will pop up, and player will have to match the definition/word with the matching cloud that has the corresponding definition/word.   Player must correctly match definitions with words (or vice versa), and this tests the player’s knowledge in vocabulary.  

Franklin: The questions will pop up in the form of a question when the ball touches the floor.

Leveling up: The player can choose which world they would like to enter first and can go to each world at any time. Once they have completed all levels they then may enter the last level.

Chrome:

Art/Graphics: The graphics are going to be based off of cartoons. They won’t look so much like real people but like animations.

Sound/music: The intro screen will have music as well as the hub. All of the games should have some sort of music as well that corresponds to their world.

Academic Content:

Sofija: Was explained in puzzles.

Julie: The graphics are based on the player, which allows them to interact completely.

Zainab: Explained in puzzles...

Franklin: There will be some sort of positive music that will cause the gamer to be enthusiastic into winning the game, and the art will be the apples that will pop out.

Project Plan:

Resources:

Materials: Sprites, backdrops, sounds, costumes, remixes, blocks/script

Tools: Computer, Scratch, Google Images, Paint tools

Labor: Franklin Wong, Sofija Obradovic, Julie Mae Angevine, and Zainab Mansoor

Time: We will spend 12 days on our project. Each person will spend 7 days on their own project. Then we will spend 5 days fixing and editing all of the projects together and putting it all together.  

Location: Home and virtually online (We will meet on the google docs hangout and we will meet on the gmail google hangouts.)

Money: $0

Create:

Franklin

Julie

Zainab

Sofija

All Group Members

Tasks

5/21

5/22

5/23

5/24

5/25

5/26

5/27

5/28

5/29

5/30

5/31

6/1

6/2

Create the doctor

Create Zainab’s World

Create Franklin’s World

Create Sofija’s world

Create the intro.

Create 5th world

Create the overall boss

Create the TARDIS sprite

Create the winning screen (For entire game)

Create losing screen

Create credits roll

Create hub screen

Edit the animation

Date: 5/22/15   Time: 8: 30 am  Location: BSGE            

Sofija: The project work today went really well. We worked together efficiently. We were also able to make some progress but not a lot of progress. I think that our project is starting to come together.

Franklin: The project was fun to do. The group worked together to get the project done. Sofija and Julie went searching for the main character, while Zainab and I created the title page and make sure that it seemed nice. The only problem was that some people in the group went playing games and putting random stuff in the backpack.

Zainab: The work we did today went great. We didn’t make too much progress, however, we do have most of our plan laid out and ready. I think we could work quicker as a group, but other than that, I think we were for the most part cooperative. My group members found usable sprites, I laid out the basics for my project, and we all worked together to get a sense of where we were all at in the progress of completing our projects.  We followed our schedule for the most part, preparing for what’s to come.

Julie: Our work was done efficiently. Sofija and I both went looking for the characters to place in the game. We found a TARDIS to break up, and we did so that we could separate it into our individual games.

Date: 5/ 29/15  Time: 8: 15 am   Location: BSGE

Franklin: The project was fun to do and we got much done, but some members of the group, including me, still need to work on the project and get it done. I have finished the introduction of our group game and in order to complete this game I will need to meet with the group before the project is due. In addition to that, we still need to put the individual games on the group

Sofija: Today went really well and we got a lot of work done together. Even though we are still behind I think that today really helped us get back on track just a little bit.

Zainab: Our work today was amazing. We all worked together and were compatible with each other.  As a group, we fixed each others’ problems and Franklin worked on our main hub where we connect all our minigames.  According to our chart, we are behind schedule. I haven’t completed my entire game yet, and neither has some other group members.  We need to work faster if we want to get this done on time.

Julie: Today went EXTREMELY well. We worked together efficiently and have gotten really far in the project. We are steering it to an end, and will connect the final game soon.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ZAINAB’S DEVELOPER’S LOGS (Individual)

Date: 5/29/15  Time: 4:23  Location: Local Library (Queens Library)

Zainab: I decided to work on my individual project while studying at the library. I am a little bit behind schedule according to my charts, so I need to become more efficient in what I produce in the time given.  So far, I need to edit the last few backgrounds and make my nyan cat sprite less glitchy and sensitive.  I also need to add one last question to my project as a whole, meaning that I will need to make a whole new background and script for that. This could possibly take me another 2 hours.

Date: 6/1/15  Time: 5:39 Location: Home

Zainab: Today was a very stressful work session for me.  I was on schedule, however, my game wasn’t working properly because of complications in my computer.  As a result, I was set back for an hour or so until my computer finally worked. Even though i was on schedule, it was hard for me to work since it was confusing for me to make my sprites and backgrounds work properly since in class, I had made an error and forgot where it was located in my scripts.  Also, while at the library, i had misnamed and made incorrect scripts for one sprite so I need to correct that.  This might take me an estimated time of one and a half hours.  

Date: 6/1/15  Time: 5:58  Location: Home

Zainab: I completed the last parts of my individual project and published it, fixing all glitches and errors that caused inconsistencies. I made it run smoother and added the last questions and scripts that needed to be added.  I finished refining the script and my game is error and glitch free (unless of course there is an error that I haven’t caught which i highly doubt). My game is ready to be published and added to the main game.  According to our chart, I am just waiting for my other group members to finish up with publishing their individual projects.

Date: 6/1/15  Time: 7:32  Location: Home

Zainab: After doing so, I added my personal project to the main group game, making our final project.  However, my computer is getting overrun because all of us are on our group account and we are all working on the group project that has more than 400 assets in it. Overall my computer isn’t very compatible with projects over 100 assets, but now not only do I have a project with a greater number of assets, but all users in my group are also logged in on the project and are making edits at the same time I am.  This was a setback for me, but eventually i found a time when most of my group members weren’t on and moved my scripts into the project.  It worked out bad, since I needed to transport ALL my backdrops and ALL my sprites, which was hard.  Then I had to rename them, and edit my script to fit the new names. However, I got the work done and now I am finished.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here’s the stuff for the credits:

Fire Extinguisher: http://pixabay.com/p-29545/?no_redirect

Doctor and TARDIS: http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/280/f/5/doctor_who_sprites___set_1_complete_by_myst_saphyr-d5gw6t5.png

Fire: http://pixabay.com/p-41505/?no_redirect

Dalek: http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/150/f/0/dalek_zeg_lines_by_jlfletch_colors_by_mee__by_randomsketchgeek247-d51n5xl.png

Evaluate:

Animation URL: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/63700030/

PLAN FOR IMPROVEMENT

Date: 6/4/15 Time: 8: 18 am Location: School

Zainab: As a group, we have a few priorities to improve our game.  To begin with, we need to make a credits roll for our project and we need to separate Sofija’s project from Franklin’s project. To fix our project, we will need to re-organize some aspects of our group game.  Additionally, we will need to collect all credits from each member and make a credits roll at the ed of our game.  

<iframe allowtransparency="true" width="485" height="402" src="//scratch.mit.edu/projects/embed/63700030/?autostart=false" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>    

<iframe allowtransparency="true" width="485" height="402" src="//scratch.mit.edu/projects/embed/64673336/?autostart=false" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>    

VSGE

by: 20tranj

Investigate:

Overall Idea:

The sprite attends the school VSGE--Virtual School of Global Education. The sprite starts off outside the school, and to get in, the player clicks the door. Once inside, there is a screen that says “Welcome to VSGE--the Virtual School of Global Education. Your schedule is Spanish, Humanities, Math, then Science. Your goal is to earn at least 8 points before lunch and get some popularity. In each class, the player gets 20 seconds to read as much information as possible before class starts. The player is then asked 3 multiple choice questions for each class, and if answered correctly, gets two points each question. After class two ends, if the sprite has less than 8 points, it sits alone and eats disgusting school lunch--this causes the sprite to be sad, deducting 2 points from the player. If the sprite has 8 or more points, the sprite sits with friends and eats good home food--this causes the sprite to be happy, adding 2 points to the player. Afterwards, the sprite takes 2 more classes. At the end, the sprite walks home.

Four Mini Games (Four Subjects):

1. Spanish-- Olivia (Mr.G)

2. Humanities-- Adnan (Mr.A)

3. Science-- Jaime (Mr. L or Mrs.J)

4. Math-- Hiruni (Mr. M)

Individual Product for Jaime Tran

Game Mechanics: Answer the class questions for Science Class correctly.

Objectives: Try to earn 2 points in class per question!

Obstacles: You have 10 seconds to read up on as much as you can on science before Mr. L asks you his questions! If you answer incorrectly, you don’t get points! Also, Mr. L will try and distract you as you read!

Chrome: What the classroom looks like, what Mr. L looks like, etc. Also, Jaime’s doing the part where the sprite is walking home in the end.

Design:

1. Game Mechanics: Player must choose what classes they want to go to, get through everyday school obstacles (like choosing school food and getting to classes). They enter the school and choose which two classes to take first. Then they have to answer as many questions as they can correctly.

2. Obstacles: Time limit of 10 seconds in class for reading the paragraphs and questions. The player must be able to read paragraphs in 10 seconds and/or answer 3 questions in that same time limit. Paragraphs will be mostly found in the Humanities level.

3. Objective: Earn enough points to gain popularity at lunch and eat good food instead of school lunch. Earn at least 8 points before lunch to eat the good food and sit with your friends. Earn extra popularity points if you do this. Earn less than 8 points before lunch, then you get the bad food and sit alone.

4. Chrome: Player walking to school, eating bad lunch and sitting alone OR eating good lunch and sitting wherever s/he wants (depending on # of points earned), walking home after school end, graphics, type of characters and backgrounds. The type of characters look like actual teachers and backgrounds look like our actual classes.

Design Individual Product for Jaime:

Information for science class:

Newton’s first law is that objects in motion tend to stay in motion and objects at rest tend to stay UNLESS acted on by an outside force.  Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist change. More mass=more inertia. Mass is measured in grams or kilograms.

Newton’s second law is that the force on an object depends on its mass and acceleration. Mass=force/acceleration, Acceleration=force/mass, Force=mass times acceleration.

Newton’s third law is that for every action force, there is an equal and opposite reaction force. For example, if you are on an ice rink, you exert force by pushing the wall and the wall exerts the same amount of reaction force at you, causing you to glide backwards or fall back.

Questions for Class:

1. Suppose you hit a tennis ball with a tennis racket so that the ball hits the floor. The racket exerts a force on the ball, and the ball exerts a force as well. Which is the reaction force?

1. The ball’s exerted force  b.  the racket’s exerted force  c. the floor’s exerted force  d. there is no reaction force, it’s both action

2.  Which has more inertia, a 10 g doll or a 100 kg boulder?

1. the boulder   b.  they both have equal inertia   c. they have no inertia  d. doll

3. Which law does this apply to: Harry’s dad is driving really fast on an empty highway. Suddenly, a deer runs into the car’s path, and Harry’s dad slams on the brakes. Harry moves forward until the seat belt pulls him back.

1. third law  b. all three laws  c. first law  d.  second law

Science background: (picture of a science classroom)

Plan:

Resources

Tools: Computer, Scratch.com, creative commons, Google, mywebface.com

Materials: Sprites from Mywebface and Scratch, classroom backgrounds, school backgrounds,

• Scripts/Blocks: If then else, when green flag clicked, when this sprite clicked, etc.

Location: School, Google Hangouts, Google Doc. Chat

Time: 12 Days

Money: $0.00

Labor:

Olivia: Sprite at lunch with bad food, individual game

Jaime: Sprite going home, individual game

Hiruni: Sprite at lunch with good food, sprite in math class (individual game)

Adnan: Introduction, how to start game. Make sprite enter school and select subject and then upload the subject that has been selected. Individual game

Action Plan:

CREATE

Developer’s Logs:

Group Developer’s Log #1 5/22 10:00--10:20 @Bsge

Olivia

Adnan started by creating the introduction for our project on our group scratch. He made the start and story sprite and coded it. Hiruni and I upload our sprites to our individual project.

Jaime

Adnan made part of the introduction, and we worked on our sprites. I was able to complete the first teacher for my game, but did not make Mr. L yet. The first teacher is a sprite that will be used if Mr. Laskowski does not approve of Mr. L. Overall I think we did very well and were very efficient in a span of 20 minutes.

Hiruni

We started with importing sprites and making the intro to our game. Adnan created the intro with the start button and the story. Olivia, Jaime, and I worked on uploading and creating new sprites. Jaime had to make a new sprite to temporarily replace the one she made before. I feel like we did a lot in that amount of time but maybe could’ve done a little more instead of spending too much time on making the sprites.

Adnan

Today Olivia  was working on making her sprites, she had uploaded the character of Mr. G and programed it to some things. Jaime was able to have scripts but still needs consent to remove the picture of the cat in place with the teacher is is working with. In the end I feel that we could have a done a little better but we still did a good job.

Group Developer’s Log #2 5/27 9:55-10:15 @Bsge

Olivia

During this period, Jaime and I weren't able to do anything. Our computers wouldn't load and the internet wouldn't work. Hiruni was able to work on her chrome part, and make some templates for it. Adnan was also able to work on his individual project and added more questions.                                             

Jaime

Hiruni made the chrome background and Adnan fixed up the introduction. Olivia and I didn't get to really do anything because of the bad internet. Adnan showed me how to make a variable for a scoreboard. Overall we didn't really do anything because the Internet was really slow.

Hiruni

I worked mostly on the good lunch scene (chrome) and adnan continued a little on the intro. We weren’t able to do much since the internet wasn’t working well. Olivia and Jaime were trying to load their websites during that time.

Adnan

I was able to make and complete the introduction of the group project however my partners were not able to do quite as much as I since they couldn’t access their computers right away. I also helped Jaime understand how to use the variable.  

Jaime’s Developer’s Log #3 5/27 9:00--9:30 PM @Home

I finished the first part of the game--the part where the player reads the information for ten seconds. Tomorrow I will start on the questions, and I think I might finish tomorrow. Everything went smoothly, and I think I’m back on task again and on schedule.

Jaime’s Developer’s Log #4 5/28 10:00--10:30 PM @Home

I didn’t exactly do much today. I really just did two questions; I have one more left, and then the chrome. I realized that I have no time on the weekends and Friday, so I’m trying to rush...but maybe I’ll be able to squeeze in a little time in between to work. As Olivia said in her developer’s log, I have more unavailable days than planned and this is really frustrating to me...WHY DO I HAVE SO MANY PLANS?!?

Group Developer’s Log #3 5/29 9:50--10:16 @Bsge

Olivia

Today, my websites actually loaded (after a while) and I was able to do some work. As a group, we decided that the time for the reader to read the info. would be different for each game. We also cleared up many misunderstanding about our projects. Today, I worked on reprograming my game and began my questions. Jaime finished her questions, and so did Adnan. Hiruni was working on her chrome and her individual project and got a lot done.

Adnan

Today I was able to make and almost finish my questions. I need to upload the picture of the classroom still however of Mr. A’s Room. Other than that I have minimal worries and will hopefully finish on time.

Jaime

We decided that 10 seconds for info-reading is too little, so we are all changing it to different times. For me, I’m changing it to 20 seconds. I finished my questions today, but I’m still worried because I still have my chrome part.

Hiruni

Today we got to finish a lot of work, compared to how much we usually get done. We discussed how the time for each individual project will not work for the group one. We worked on backgrounds and making our chrome parts. I feel like if I continue working like this I can finish in time. However if i don’t do some things that i planned before, I will not be able to do them in time so I need to manage my time better. Jaime finished her individual project questions, Adnan worked on fixing the intro characters.

Jaime’s Developer’s Log #4 5/30 4:00--4:30 @Home

I finished my chrome part, and my part of the game. Now all I need to do is put everything together. I’m happy about this because I didn’t think I had time. 

Group Developer’s Log #4 6/01 5:37-12:01 AM :O   (we have no shame because we have used it all up on this project)

Olivia

Today we were able to finish our project and work on it all together, and put it together. Since we can’t all go on the group account at once, we decided to all go on at different times, but we used google hangouts to talk and keep track. I think we worked well to finish this, the only problem would be the repetitive editing and revising. Jaime, Hiruni and I stayed to do this and we revised many times, while Adnan did his part and left. The only problem we had was that Mr. L came in too early and wouldn’t work properly. We worked really hard all 3 of us did, to try and fix it. But nothing worked. We tried so hard and spent so much time, and we were finally able to fix it in the end.

Adnan

Today we finished our project but we had to make new broadcasts so that one subject would transition into the next. However we had to remove the idea of allowing to choose the schedule otherwise it would be too confusing. It would require a lot more time to it. I however wasn’t able to help since I wasn’t there too see everyone put it together but my part was but up. However they were able to fix the problem and made the entire project move smoothly.  

Jaime

We finished everything. We used google hangouts, and we all worked very hard on this. Olivia, Hiruni and I did a lot of the editing because the game kept glitching. We decided to take away a schedule and just have one. My teacher, Mr. L, kept appearing in odd places. This was very frustrating, but we were finally able to fix it.

Hiruni

Today we finished up the whole project. It was a lot of work to do since we all worked on it at different times but we told each other what we were doing so no one will get lost. We tried to fix the sprites that kept on popping up all over the place but it was hard to fix it. Jaime, Olivia, and I tried taking turns to fix this. We made sure each others’ sprites were acting fine and their part of the project wasn’t going wrong. Adnan left earlier and wasn’t able to do much today. We didn’t know we would have to work this much, but we worked hard to get it done. We tried our very best to finish the project and make it run smoothly but glitches kept happening that required us to redo scripts which we did not have time to do. We really hoped that the game will turn out right because we don’t know what else to do if it glitches again.

Jaime’s Individual Project + Chrome Part:

< https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/63806150/ >

1. I may not have the best graphic designs, but I know that I worked hard on creating the chrome part of the game, which is the ending. My game does not play when pressed, and this is because I didn’t want to inconvenience myself and my group members when putting things together. I also tried to make sure my broadcasts were unique.

2. My individual product could have been better if I had done things like added more questions and better graphics. Honestly, when Mr. L kept popping up it was one of the most frustrating parts of this game-making process.

3. My chrome part was to have the sprite walking home. It brought everything to a close, showing the sprite going home after a long day at school. It signifies the end of the game when the sprite goes inside the house.

4. Again, my graphics could have been better. I could have spent more time on it to maybe add in credits, etc.

5. Olivia was very good with figuring things out last minute. This is one of the reasons why I picked her to be in my group--I know that she’ll be ready to fix any problems that arise. Hiruni was very efficient and productive--I really liked how she was very enthusiastic about helping people with the work, and never refused to help. Adnan was very skilled with the work that he did, and I was very impressed with how quickly he could do things.

6. Olivia could have maybe not left things last minute, though she figured everything out in the end and everything resolved itself. Hiruni could have maybe checked in on the hangouts more, as she was working on the project and not really being active often on hangouts. However, she was still there and still helped a lot, so nothing was really bad. Adnan left before the editing could be done, and left a lot of stressful work for us, though he didn’t know and so it’s not really his fault.

Group Developer’s Log 6/05 9:39 @ BSGE Plan For Improvement

Olivia

For my part, I will be adding credits to our animation. This way we will be following all parts of the constraints and requirements. Hiruni will be animating the background to fit the whole project. Jaime will be adding music to all the “classes”. Adnan will be creating transitions for the sprites and have them walk into classroom.

Hiruni

For my part, I will be making the backgrounds animated so they look like cartoons not real places. Jaime will be working on the music for the project. Olivia will be adding the credits roll. Adnan will be creating the transitions between each class and the sprite entering and exiting.

Adnan

For my part, I will be creating the transitions between the sprite going from and to the other class and show it walking into the classroom for every class. Hiruni will make the backgrounds animated so that they don’t look like vague real places. Jaime is working on the music and olivia is making credits

Jaime

For my part, I will be doing music. I will add music to each “class” for the subjects. Hiruni

will be making backgrounds animated, Olivia will be adding credits, Adnan will be creating transitions.

My Class: Harry Potter theme song or

Olivia’s Class: Barbie “I’m Just Like You” music, or “Bad Blood” by Taylor Swift

Adnan’s Class: “A Thousand Miles” by Vanessa Carlton or “Hall of Fame” by The Script

Hiruni’s Class: “I Really Don’t Care” by Demi Lovato, or “Dynamite”

Cartoonize: http://kusocartoon.com/photo-to-cartoon.php

Hub Fun

Group Project Journal:
Investigate:

Design:
Game Mechanics:
Rules:
You only have a few lives so make sure that you use your many lives usefully.
Try and stay safe by staying away from the other characters. (Warning: Other characters could slay you and make you lose lives.)
Play games using whatever skill(s) needed in the game.

Gameplay:

User Interface/ Game controls:
The player would use the P button in order to return to the hub.
The player would use the mouse to click on the world(s) in order to choose the world they want to go to.
Each game will have controls that are specific to their game, but the main controls will be the arrows to move around and space to jump. (If applies.)
Chrome:
Objective:
Characters: Name: The Doctor
Age: 1900 yrs old
a ginger. Very brave. Very strong. Is very patient and clever. Loses faith easily but gains his trust in people quickly.
Levels (Worlds):
Obstacles:
Puzzles:
Chrome:
Academic Content:
Sofija: Was explained in puzzles.
Project Plan:
Resources:

Money: $0

Create:

Date: 5/22/15 Time: 8: 30 am Location: BSGE Sofija: The project work today went really well. We worked together efficiently. We were also able to make some progress but not a lot of progress. I think that our project is starting to come together.

Date: 5/ 29/15 Time: 8: 15 am Location: BSGE

SOFIJA’S DEVELOPER’S LOGS (Individual)
Date: 6/1/15. Time: 3:20. Location: Home
Sofija: I worked on my project. I was very behind from schedule so today I finished doing my individual project and finished putting it into the group project.

Date: 6/ 1/ 15 Time: 6: 00pm Location: Home
Safija: I finished putting my project into the group thing. It all connects and works well together. It connects with the overall project and doesn't glitch.

PLAN FOR IMPROVEMENT
Sofija: One priority that we have so that our project can be better is that we have to make our group project more organized and go through all of our scripts because there are sprites in other peoples projects. So in order to fix our project we would have to re-orginize the linking of our project so that it is all very smooth and flows together.

The Deadly Adventures of The Quad

My part of a group game, was making a science game. Here is my original plan and my progress:
Sona: Science
Investigate:
Game Concept: Determining which substance is safe to drink (based on acids, bases, and neutral)

Objective: To find as many safe substances to drink.
Design:
Game Mechanics: There are going to be three to four different substances that are labeled and a sprite, the viewer will be able to click on a substance for the sprite to drink and based on the substances’ pH level one substance will be safe to drink while others will not.

Obstacles:Time Limit, mystery substance and unexpected times (some information will be given about it, and the viewer must decide whether it is safe or not. Viewer’s sprite can die and the game will end.)

Chrome: Realistic backgrounds, realistic sprites and substances

Game Mechanics:
The players are allowed to click on different substances and also find more information about the substances.The players click on the substances once they have determined which ones are safe to drink. The player can get more information on the substance only three times and then they will have to make their decisions on which substance is safe to drink.Player will interact with the game since he or she will be able to make the sprite’s decision by clicking on the substance.

Objective: My game will begin with a brief introduction of the chemicals, it will end with rather the sprite dying or the sprite advancing to the next subject that we have.A minion is on a jetpack going to China and it crashes in Hawaii. He is left with a secret bunch of chemicals, a way to learn the chinese language and a math workbook. In Hawaii, he is very lonely and uses his imagination to transform these items while using it. He needs to survive in the island. The game is going to have a minion sprite to make it fun for the viewer, since a minion is a very childish and funny character sprite to look at. The main objective of each level is to find out which substance is safe to drink in order to survive, the final objective is to find all of the edible substances because the leftover will create (but in real life they are probably not the materials needed for fuel) fuel for the jet pack.

Obstacles: The boss will be Vector. During the game I am planning to have the viewer have to figure out if mystery substances are safe or not when given certain information to see if they have been focusing on characteristics of safe substances. You can easily level up by looking for common everyday substances that you consume like water. But as the substances get more complex, to level up (unless you know the substance) the viewer must use his or her chances to get small details of the substance such as pH level and whether it is a base/acid/ neutral substance in order to eliminate the substances that are not safe to drink.

Chrome: I am going to use this minion for my sprite. I am not going to have music or sound effects.

Sona-5/22/15 8:30-9:00 BSGE
Today I worked on my the script project. I used up some of my time making the sprite for the orange juice but later I decided that I should just download a picture of the different substances. Some difficulties I encountered was drawing it out, but I later realized the game would be more fun to play if it was more like a realistic situation.

Sona 5/27 BSGE 8:20-9:00

Today I worked on my scripts and my sprites. I tried to find sprites, but it was difficult since I was using the search tool “Reuse with modification” so I am going back to drawing out the substances or possibly taking pictures of it, which is possible. While I am searching for the sprites, I try to create the scripts. A difficulty I am having is that I am not exactly sure of which blocks will make the game function the way I imagined it. I need an extra day or two for my project to develop the sprites and find the right blocks.

Sona 5/28/15 8:44-10:06 Home

Today I finished the first round of the substances. I had a difficult time making the game function as I imagined it to because some of the blocks I could not find. I think the game will work in the same way as I planned but I might encounter the same issue I did for the last project which is that some things were repeated and the scratch project had glitches. Though, I am a bit behind schedule but I don’t believe I need too much more time to complete my game.

Sona 5/29 8:37-10:29 Home
I am completely finished with the first set of substances and I am almost finished with my second set of substances. I think that by tomorrow I will be finished with my individual project and will be able to work on putting together the group project. Though I am behind schedule, I am going to be catching up soon. For my individual project, I added some new features that I did not expect to have when I was making the design such as adding a change of backgrounds and I am planning to add some of my group member’s characters.

Group Member's Games:
Olivia: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/63629580/
Patryk: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/63698146/
Annelie: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/64263016/

My Game:
Sona: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/63698192/

Youth Voices Accounts:
Olivia: http://youthvoices.net/users/20wegrowskio
Patryk: http://youthvoices.net/users/20stypulkowskip
Annelie: http://youthvoices.net/users/20hyatta

VSGE

by: 20kumarig

My Group Project:

My Individual Project:      

Investigate:

Overall Idea:

Four Mini Games (Four Subjects):

1. Spanish-- Olivia (Mr.G)

2. Humanities-- Adnan (Mr.A)

3. Science-- Jaime (Mr. L or Mrs.J)

4. Math-- Hiruni (Mr. M)

Individual Project for Hiruni Kumari

Game Mechanics: Answer math questions based on graphs

Objectives: Earn 2 points for every correct question

Obstacles: Answer as many questions as you can in 20 seconds. Try to answer all  3 of them.

Chrome: Get through Mr.M’s hilarious/punny jokes between every other question to distract player, room looks kinda like real math room, teacher looks kinda like real Mr.M

*I’m doing the part where the player chooses his own lunch and sits with his friends at lunch

Design:

Design Individual Project for Hiruni:

Math Information: How to calculate the average speed, how to determine if a line is proportional or not, how to determine if a line is linear or not, when to use a solid or dashed line. You are given a situation and using the data given, you must calculate the average speeds and determine who or what was faster. Using your knowledge of reading and interpreting graphs, you must decide what type of graph you are looking at.

Questions asked:

1) How do you determine if a line is linear?

a. If the line starts at the origin       b. If the line is straight    c. If the line is a dashed line        d. None of the above

2) How do you determine if a line is proportional?

a. If the line is straight    b. If the line starts above the origin    c. If all points on the line match the rate    d. If the line starts at the origin

3) Henry traveled 2 miles in 1 hour. Hera traveled 8 miles in 3 hours. Roy traveled 6 miles in 2 hours. Who traveled faster?

a. Henry      b. Hera    c. Roy     d. All three traveled at the same speed

Math Room Background: Approved picture of pre-algebra room

Mr. M Character:

Displaying

Plan:

Resources

Time: 12 Days

Money: $0.00

Labor:

Action Plan:

Olivia

Jaime

Adnan

Hiruni

Everyone

*bgs=backgrounds  

**cp=chrome part (good lunch, bad lunch, walking home)

***Adnan has no cp because he’s making the main character sprite and the intro.

Task

5/22

5/23

5/24

5/25

5/26

5/27

5/28

5/29

5/30

5/31

6/1

Unavailable

...  

.   .  .  . .

.

. . .

Create all sprites

Create Adnan’s bgs*

Create Olivia’s bgs

Create Hiruni’s bgs

Create Jaime’s bgs

Create Adnan’s game

Create Jaime’s game

Create Olivia’s game

Create Hiruni’s game

Create Olivia’s cp**

Create Jaime’s cp

Create Hiruni’s cp

Create intro***

Put everything together

CREATE

Developer’s Logs:

Olivia

Jaime

Hiruni

Adnan

Olivia

Jaime

Hiruni

Adnan

Hiruni Developer’s Log #3 5/28 10:30-11:00 @Home

I continued working on the chrome and my individual project. I created more options for the good lunch in the chrome and I added the questions to the individual project. I’m ahead on the chrome part but I realized that I hadn’t planned on starting it yet. However, that means I have that extra time when I was supposed to do the chrome part to do my other steps instead. Its very hard to find the time to do most of these things. Especially for the background, (which I still need), I haven’t had the time somehow to get it. I plan on doing this tomorrow instead.

Olivia

Adnan

Jaime

Hiruni

Hiruni’s Developer’s Log #4 5/31 11:00 - 3:15 pm @Home

I mixed up the schedule a bit and started the chrome early but that left time for me to do the individual project. I didn’t have a lot of time during the week and on saturday though I thought I would so I tried to finish as much as I can today. I finished my individual project. I realized that the characters from my chrome part were in the same project so I put them in my backpack for later. At first, I tried to have the character ask questions in a random order but if I did, I couldn’t find a way to have the answer choices appear at the same time the matching question was randomly asked. I also continued on the chrome part and will finish it up a little tomorrow when the group project is put together so I see how to connect some of the broadcasts and scores. 

Olivia

Adnan

Jaime

Hiruni

Evaluate:

Final Project: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/63717018/

Hiruni’s Individual Project + Chrome Part: <https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/63716610/>

1. One strength in my individual project was the way my characters showed up and talked at the right time. They weren’t messed up like my other projects where the sprites were running backwards. Another strength was that I was able to keep time throughout the project without giving the viewer too little time to answer questions.

2. My individual project could’ve been more clear to how time was kept. Even though I found a way to do it, it would be confusing how the viewer is given 20 seconds to answer the questions while having lots of distractions like Mr.M’s jokes. I tried making it clear in the instructions that the jokes and the intro don’t take out of that time but I don’t think I was clear enough.

3. A significant contribution I made was creating the chrome part of the project where the character has good lunch with his friends if he/she earns 8 or more points before lunch. I had the viewer choose the lunch and I created a small conversation between the friends.

4. I could improve my group work by being more scheduled and on time. I could’ve spread out my time better without mixing up my plans.

5. Jaime worked on the scene where the character leaves after school. She helped a lot with fixing the blocks that wouldn’t work and deleting some sprites we didn’t need. Olivia helped with the broadcasting. She helped figure out which things should go where so our project flowed smoothly. Adnan worked on the intro and helped us get the group project started. He included the story and start button and worked on the character entering the school.

6. One thing Jaime could do to improve her contribution was maybe find more time to work on it. We all fit out schedule to our actual plans but we could’ve started working earlier on things to save time. One thing Olivia could do to improve her contribution was also maybe to find more time to work on the project. I found that a lot of us couldn’t make a lot of time and we should’ve scheduled more group meetings to make it easier. One thing Adnan could do to improve his contribution was maybe to show up at different times. Lots of us tended to stay for half the time we worked on the project and it was hard to bring them back when we needed their help.

Olivia

Hiruni

Adnan

Jaime

My Class: Harry Potter theme song or

Legend of Zelda: The Land of the Lost

by: 20leie

Math and Angry Birds

Task-

Do day 3; math. Attacking the monsters with weapons. Some monsters will ask math questions, and you have a limited time answering it correctly before their attacks multiply damage. Each time you answer incorrectly, your health will go down by 5. Different monsters have different timers. Something will depend on your math knowledge, for example, along w/ or w/o the sign that has the riddle, there’s a math question that you have to answer before viewing it. (Z is to draw out the sword, which is then used to attack the monsters).

Design

Game Mechanic-

Rules- Players are allowed to interact with the different areas from the hub. There are four worlds that can be accessed through the hub. One each for Music, Math, English, and Science. The Song of Time can be played on the Ocarina to return to the Dawn of the First Day.

Gameplay- You have four days to accomplish the four dungeons, one for math, science, english, and history. After completing the four dungeons, you are faced with the final boss.

User Interface/Game controls- O to access the Ocarina, Arrow keys and A to play the Ocarina, WASD to move, Z is Sword, X is shield, C is Special (Magic, Bow, Hookshot?)

Objectives-

Story- You have been transported to Termina. Termina is a strange world, and you have found a place where you can jump into four dungeons. You jump into the first dungeon, the music dungeon, and you have to play notes on the Ocarina to advance. The first day is completed. The second dungeon is the history dungeon, and you have to help George Washington out of the history temple. After you solve the puzzle, he thanks you but you are interrupted by a mini-boss of the dungeon, Dark Link. You defeat him and move back to the hub, and it is now the third day. You head towards the math dungeon, and you have to solve math equations angry birds style. The final day, you solve the science dungeon and move towards the final boss. After defeating the final boss, Link dances and there might be unlockable characters in which you can use to play again, or play the game again to get those unlockable characters.

Characters: Link, Kirby (Can fly), Sonic (can run fast), Mario (is powerful), Dark Link, and Ganondorf

Levels: The different dungeons; go through all four of them to reach the final boss and defeat it to finish the game.

Obstacles-

Bosses- Dark Link has 20 health, but is quick and hard to attack.

Puzzles/Questions/Riddles/Traps: The various academic questions that are presented in each level.

Leveling Up: You level up as you progress through the game by unlocking different items, some to create potion.

Chrome-

Art/Graphics: LOZ scenes?

Sound Effects/Music: Zelda Music (mp3), Music: http://www.bensound.com/

Academic Content: Science, Math, Music, English

Science- Mixing chemicals for different effects

Math- Answering questions correctly

Music- Playing the right notes

English- Figuring out the “fancy language” (the puzzle/riddles) to advance in the game. Ex. a fork in the path and a sign with a riddle which tells you which path to take; the other will lead to your death.

http://a.imageshack.us/img96/5259/linksprites.jpg

Project Plan

Resources

•Materials

◦For English level- George Washington ↑↑ isn’t copyrighted because he’s been deadhttp://40.media.tumblr.com/cdef2467876a5916a98807778cc97813/tumblr_mifdatxjy91r413h3o1_400.jpg

◦ Link Sprites:http://www.deviantart.com/art/Skyward-Sword-Link-sprites-275694168Dark Link Soldier of The Shadow Army Sprite Sheet by tAll3Shyguy

◦Dark Link:http://tall3shyguy.deviantart.com/art/Dark-Link-Soldier-of-The-Shadow-Army-Sprite-Sheet-329440234

◦Ganondorf: http://www.deviantart.com/art/Ganondorf-sprite-336275136

◦Sonic sprites: http://pixgood.com/sonic-1-sprite-sheet.html

◦Mario: TBA (conflicted)

◦https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/57445334/ for the village hub

◦https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/56537200/ for the angry birds

•Tools: Computer, scratch, google images, paint tools (pixlr, preview, microsoft paint), piskel

•Labor:

◦20leie - Math level

◦20yeec - Music level and potions feature

◦20madrigald - English level with George Washington and credits

◦20SmelandL - Science level (final level with boss) and title page and hub (modifying) and cutscenes and tutorial

•Location: Group members’ home, Hangouts, school

•Time: 12 days

•Money: $0

20madrigald 20yeec 20SmelandL 20leie All Task 5/21 5/22 5/23 5/24 5/25 5/26 5/27 5/28 5/29 5/30 5/31 6/1 Create Boss Sprites and Link Make title page Make tutorial Make First level (music) Make Second Level (English) Make Third Level (Math) Make Final Level (Science) Make Potion mechanic Make Credits Make cutscenes Work on hub Put everything together Test it

5/22, 8:30-9:00 AM, BSGE

20leie -

Today I worked on uploading the sprites. I realized that there was some white background on some of the costumes, so I tried to crop them as best as I could. I started creating the movement for Link; we were planning to use WASD as the movement, but we needed another sprite for Link when he’s moving up and down for W and S. I duplicated the costumes for Link and flipped them for A, the left movement.

5/24,11:32AM - 1:45AM , Home

20leie -

I didn’t get a chance to actually work on my part on Friday; I was searching dungeons online and found that there was none that wasn’t copyrighted that I could input. On Saturday, I started sketching some dungeons that I found online. In the Notes and Credits I’ll put the links.

Today I finished drawing the backdrops. I uploaded them and I’m in the middle of connecting the backdrops together. I’m debating whether to make the different paths that Link encounters ask math questions to know which path is alright to through, or just ask math questions in a period of time to be allowed to actually advance to either path. There will be a stage where you have to answer however many questions in 25 seconds; each question is worth 10 health points, so this stage is like a health booster. The questions will be answered in an Angry Bird format. After the 25 seconds, the Angry Bird stuff goes away and you can advance to the next level. (20SmelandL’s project; Angry Bird Style/Method https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/61795590/#player)

5/25, 9:03AM - 2:30PM, Home

20leie -

I finished connected the backdrops together. I setted up three traps so that when the viewer makes Link go there, he’ll “die” and the viewer has to start all over. I’m working on the ropes, in which when W is pressed, Link will up the rope to a different platform. I’m also working on the Angry Bird method, which will be played when the viewer reaches the final stage/backdrop.

5/27/15 School 40 minutes

20leie-

I decided not to add any monsters or random pop math questions because the viewer might want a little break from dungeons earlier. I didn’t add the ropes because Link’s movement allowed the player to have Link “float” around the screen. However, I planned to make the questions harder. I’m still stuck on the Angry Bird mechanic, and I didn’t get to do much today because the internet was down and the websites were slowly loading.

5/29/15 45 minutes school

20SmelandL- Today I was able to finish my individual project and I am done with my part. I just have to put everything together and share it. I am just awaiting my group member's products so I can create the overall group project over the weekend. I “tried” to help 20madrigald with the platforms and making sure that the side scroller is infinite. We couldn’t solve it but I found that we are okay in completing the project soon and being able to finish it before the deadline.

20madrigald- I’ve made a huge mistake. Today I couldn’t figure out how to make the scroll mechanic work properly when yesterday I THOUGHT I had it good, but it was absolutely horrible today, I tried to make clones for platforms but they failed miserably.

20yeec- Today I continued working on the potions part of the game which actually turned out to be harder than I thought it would be. Some of the blocks I used got really messed up and I wasted time fixing that. But I feel confident that I can finish my portions by tomorrow so that we can put it together over the weekend.

20leie- Today I used a different Angry Bird code from a different project because I couldn’t get the sprite to launch properly. I fixed the broadcasting and the “touching___” . However, when I played the game and got to the final backdrop, the sprite kept on going to the edge of the backdrop. I’m not sure how to fix it, and I was planning to add a few more questions at school today. I need to work on the project some more at home. I am behind schedule. (https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/34602750/#player)

5/29/15 20 minutes home

20leie- I was able to fix the Angry Bird problem by setting Shot? to 0 when green flagged is clicked. I added a few more questions also.

Plan for Improvement

6/5/15, 8:20 A.M., School

20madrigal-

I would improve the scrolling mechanic, because Scrolling requires a memorization of the way the variables are aligned, and I forgot how to tell the direction of one scroll side from another, which screwed me up. My scroll mechanic fails miserably, and can not hold enemies. However, fixing all this could create a suitable dungeon where players have to fight enemies to get to the next level, which would be ideal for the current project that I need. I also need to incorporate music because my project needs music. I also need to finish getting rid of all the glitches, and there is also no way to exit the level. Scratch is basic, so I wasn’t able to compute what I needed in time for the deadline. All my project is currently is more of a scrolling simulator, and I need to make it into a dungeon or else the group project would be screwed. The last thing I need to do is make the game fun, right now all that’s fun is walking across a world that contains three screwed up enemies, about 7 platforms, and no way to escape. Soon I will begin to improve everything, but currently there is a lot wrong with my project. The total time it takes to fix the project should be a little less than a week. I will continue to work on the project regardless of how long it takes.

20SmelandL-

I would improve on making the project smoother, but also dumbing it down to a certain extent by deleting parts that weren’t needed. My individual project had problems when I put it together. It would constantly stop, and it basically never stopped even though I had lines that the boss would say to you before you entered the full game. They wouldn’t come up because of the problem that there were too many sprites that still counted as entities on the screen so that there was a huge problem with moving objects slowly stop moving and all of the lag that went on with the project. I would also have to make the project smoother which meant that I would make sure that the boss doesn’t stop moving when he starts hitting you which makes it easier even though it’s supposed to be hard and took a while to finish with all of the questions and fighting between them. Also, the enemy in the tutorial and the movement is a bit weird, because when you fight, Link almost jumps because of the sprite sheet. This didn’t work well because the loading was done in chunks to he almost just stopped moving a little bit and took a long time to complete it. I would have to change it so that the costume is changed to make it quicker and smoother to attack so Link has somewhat of an advantage while still having a hard time winning to a certain extent. It would make the game easier and more helpful to Link because I saw that the boss battle was extremely hard first and had to fix it with some of these changes.

20yeec-

I would improve how engaging our projects were because most of our projects were just asking questions, and the user didn’t really get to interact with the project. In my project, the user only got a few seconds of interaction as a reward for answering the question correctly. I think next time we should just incorporate the learning right into our project[s].

I also would want to improve the time I put into this project. I stalled until the night before it was due, so I made it very difficult for myself and Lars, who was putting the project together. I want to put in more obstacles as well because my level was pretty bleak, as there was only Link and one boss. The look of the potion aspect as well as the actual level wasn’t really appealing. If I were the player I don’t think I would’ve enjoyed the game.

I also think I should work more with my group, because I mainly worked individually and I think that’s the reason why we couldn’t put our project together.

20leie-

I would improve on adding more math content to the project because the only math content was at the end, when you got to the last backdrop and played Angry Birds to answer math questions. Also, I would create borders/limit Link’s movement because the player is able to move Link freely around each backdrop, and doesn’t create much of a challenge. The player can become confused as to why some places won’t allow them to go to another place. But if I’m going to limit Link’s movement, then I’ll have to add his jumping mechanic or create ropes or some ladder that allows him to go to higher places. Since the player would have to make Link wander aimlessly around each backdrop, if it’s possible, I’ll add monsters (that don’t ask questions), but attacks your health. Anyways, in the end, Link can regain some health when the player reaches the last backdrop.

My Individual Project

There was no group project because it was impossible to do so due to the amount of sprites and moving objects occurring.

Back to Seventh Grade

by: 20batrar
This is a screen shot of the group game.
My individual Project.

This is my individual project

This is the final group project:

Group Concept (Type of Game): We each have different kinds of games, and completely original concepts, all put together into one game.

Investigate

Each Subject For the Group Member’s Project

Subject

Person Doing the Subject

Type of Game

Science

Rashmika

Side Scroller

Music

Melyssa

Trivia

Humanities

Lia

Strategy

Math

Winston

Platformer

Design

Science:  

• Game Mechanics

• The player is playing as a guy with a jetpack. The arrow keys will move this player. There will be a question and a few choices. The choices will be placed at different parts of the screen and the player will move their character to the answer they think is correct.

• The rules are to go on the correct answer so that you can gain points and possibly level up.

• Objective

• The objective of each level is to get to a certain point range to pass it by answering all the questions correctly.

• You try to save the world fro the evil unicorns with your genius powers.

• Obstacles

• There are unicorns and when you hit them, you lose points which keep you from saving the world and leveling up. The number of unicorns increases as the levels do.

• Chrome

• The graphics, the background is just blue, but the unicorns leave a trail of rainbows.

• The sound effects that the player makes when they use the jetpack.

• Story line: You are a genius and have the same iq as Albert Einstein. You have to save the world from unicorns by using your genius powers.

• The subject: Science

Plan

Plan

Resources

• Tools

• Scratch

• Computer

• Search Engines

• Creative Commons

• Materials

• Creative commons pics

• music

• blocks

• scripts

• sprites

• information

• backdrops

• whole projects

• Location

• Home

• School

• Hangouts

• Calling *Phone maybe*

• Time

• 12 Days

• Labor

• Several people working on an equally fair amount

• Rashmika

• Science

• Making a remix out of “Da Evil Unicorns” on scratch, her own project

•  
      •  
        •  
          • Winston

• Melyssa

• Music

• Making a remix. Not sure of what, but I’ll figure it out. *looks at games*

• Lia

• Humanities

• Making a remix. *Still in process*

• Money

• No money

Action Plan

Rashmika

Melyssa

Lia

Winston

Role

5/20

5/21

5/22

5/23

5/24

5/25

5/26

5/27

5/28

5/29

5/30

5/31

6/1

Rashmika’s main character

Winston’s Main Character

Melyssa’s Main character

Lia’s main Character

Rashmika’s Enemy Character

Winston’s Enemy Character

Melyssa’s Enemy Character

Lia’s Enemy Character

Rashmika’s Levels 1, 2, 3, and 4  

Wnston’s Levels 1, 2, 3, and 4

Melyssa’s Levels 1, 2, 3, and 4

Lia’s Levels 1, 2, 3, and 4

Title slide

Combine games

Questions

Developer's Logs

Rashmika:

5/22/15, BSGE, 10:00-10:15

Today, I worked on my individual subject--science. I had already previously finished the characters since I'm remixing a game I previously made. I worked on the the questions and scripted when they had to show and hide, as well as the results in which the player moves the character to each answer.  

5/25/15 Home, 1:00-2:00- Rashmika

Today, I did some of my level one. This was extremely difficult since I had to work through all the glitches of the game, find out how to make it educational, and make questions, Making the first part is always most difficult since you are starting from 0. Now, since I have the scripts established for the questions, everything is going to be much easier since now I have a guideline to follow for my scripts. I also made some question.

5/27/15 BSGE 10-10:15 Rashmika

Today, I ran through my game to look for improvements and errors in the scripts. I did find a few errors, one was that the points would affect  the game more than it is supposed to. I fixed this by making the sprites hide faster than they are supposed to. 

5/29/15 Rashmika : BSGE 10:00-10:15

Today, I perfected and polished my level 1. It is perfect now and I can just copy the scripts and edit them to fit the game! This is good! Makes my job much easier! However, I am kind of worried about two of my other group members as they barely started. I am worried we won't be able to do it in time. I ran into no issues.

5/29/2015 Rashmika  Home 8-8:30pm

Today, I looked over my level 1 for glitches and realize how long even just one level can take! I saw a glitch in which the background wouldn’t change and couldnt figure out why. I will save this issue for the next session. 

5/30/2015 Rashmika  Home 10-11:36

Today, I finished level 2 of my game. All I have to do is finish level 3 and I am done! I feel confident that I will finish. I ran into no issues.

5/30/2015 Rashmika  Home 10-3:36

Today I finished my whole game! It took me a while because there were a lot of glitches that were really difficult to fix. There are two glitches in which the sprites won’t hide when they are supposed to and I have no idea how to fix that.

6/1/15 Rashmika Home: 11-11:30 pm

Today, I added instructions to my game, and while I was checking over the final group project, I found a glitch in my work, so I fixed it. I realized my glitch wasn’t my own programming issue, but it was rather that my group members and I shared a common variable ‘score’ so the system got confused. I changed the variable to ‘score for sci’ and I fixed it! Other then that, I ran into no issues.

Group Meetings

Lia

My group worked well together to combine our project over FaceTime. There had been glitches within the project but everything worked nicely.

Melyssa

Rashmika

6/1/15

5-7pm

Hangouts video call

I think that today, our group did exceptionally well on working together. We critiqued each other's  projects and we combined them. This took quite a while because some of our games had errors that we had to fix along the way which was really difficult. It also took a while to combine the games, because then we discovered even more glitches! I was also able to ask my group members for help  in fixing the errors, and they helped me solve the problem! Except, in transferring the games there was a glitch which Winston mentioned on his side in the last paragraph, which I was able to fix. It is in my latest developer's log. All members were present.

Winston

6/1/15

I think today, our group was phenomenal when compared to the task that we had to complete. Today, we for some reason, found that whenever we tried to combine our separate games, there were suddenly 50 billion glitches that we never noticed before. It also didn’t help that sometimes the backpack feature glitched, and didn’t bring over all of the things that we put in it. However, it helped that my group members were around since I was able to see what other people did and see how I could make my own project better if I had time e.g. add sound effects, or to make the question part of the background instead of the ground sprite. I think it was a great experience, but still nonetheless, it was frustrating trying to combine all of our group projects.

I’d also like to mention that there is still a glitch in Rashmika’s game with backgrounds that we didn’t know how to fix, because such a glitch wasn’t there in her individual game. In Lia’s backdrops, for the group game, they’re different because the backdrops weren’t transported correctly, so we had to manually redo them.

Evaluate

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/63716978/ (Rashmika’s Science Project)

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/65169572/#player (final group project)

Final Thoughts About the Project and Group Participation

Winston: I think that Winston was one of the hardest workers in the group. He always went above and beyond expectations, and put his best foot forward. Winston followed his gantt chart well.

Lia: Lia managed her time well, even if she didn’t exactly follow her gantt chart.

Melyssa: Melyssa did a really good job, and I found her final game to be humorous, enjoyable, and at the same time educational. Education and fun were both in this game which is usually very difficult to accomplish. She didn't follow the gantt chart but still finished her project in a timely fashion.

Me (Rashmika):  I kind of followed my gantt chart but I think that I still did really well. I think that the problem with my schedule was that I underestimated the amount of time it would take for each level. However, I think that I did really well on my final project, and tried very hard to do my absolute best. My group at first wasn’t really on track since we were moving kind of slowly, but it all worked out in the end.

HOR Hunters

by: 20siegels

Investigate Scott: A game that simulates a meeting in congress. You will be a congressman that will learn about HOR, and the way a bill is passed. They will face rejection from peers and constituents, and have to make up for this. Finally, this game will have a soundtrack that follows the story, and will use art from C-SPAN. Design Group: To connect all of our mini-games into one game, we will have a sprite fall asleep in class. Then, two sprites will appear. One will ask the name of the player and then say that if the viewer would like to go on an adventure, they must help that sprite win a race. He will then go on to explain the rules of the game. If the player does win the race, the game will continue on to the historical games. Lalla’s game will follow the race and the sprite that the player had helped win the game will continue on in the game and describes the objectives of each of the games. If the player is able to beat this section of the game, the setting will change to Shahreen’s game and then to Scott’s. If the player dies in one of the games, they will lose one of their lives. After their fourth death, the player will reset to the beginning of the game. Rules - You must follow the views of your constituents, and gain the support of your peers. You will lose if your bill fails to pass the HOR, you will lose the game. Most gameplay will be constricted to the game’s story. Gameplay/Game Engine - Multiple choices will be presented for your character to chose. Your choice will affect the story, and cause for the gameplay to differ. Most gameplay will be storyline based, and not have a visual change. User Interface - Most decisions will be made in the game, with click-to-respond gestures. The user will use the mouse to make decisions, and chose from multiple choice. The keyboard will most likely not be used. Objectives Story - You are a congressperson who must convey your bill to your fellow congresspeople, and get them to vote for this bill. Characters - You, your fellow congresspeople, the senate, the president, and your constituents. Levels - The game will be split up into 4 parts. Reading your constituents wants, drafting the bill, putting the bill up for vote, and watching it succeed or fail. The first 2 levels are interactive, and the last 2 are learning by observing. Obstacles Bosses - There are no specific bosses, as the game keeps a constant rate of difficulty. Puzzles/Riddles - The player will have to construct a bill that introduces their constituents wants into a unified manner. Leveling Up - Your character will not level up, but will move on through the rounds with each correct move. Chrome Graphics/Art - The backgrounds will be historical, and show monuments, such as the congressional committee rooms and the oval office. This will show the user what it shows in reality. Sound/Music - No specific music will be used, but sound clips from scratch will be used to show responses to actions. Academic Content - All learning will be done throughout the game by ‘watching and learning. Materials Sprites (being used from Scratch): Danny (aka the main character), some evil-looking dude, Pol Pot, Christopher Columbus, George Washington, Congress members (aka people in suits), and three dots teaching the character about their opponent. http://simeontemplar.deviantart.com/art/Pixel-Hero-470210806 (inspiration for dany) Background: Classroom, Racetrack, four battlegrounds, inside Congress, “You Beat The Boss” background, and “You Lost” background. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Riflemen_at_Saratoga.jpg http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Plan_of_the_Battle_of_Yorktown_18... http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%88%97%E5%85%8B%E6%98%9F%E6%95%A6%E5%92%... Tools Computer/Laptop Web browser- Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer Scratch.mit.edu Search engine (Google) Labor Kayla Lalla Scott Shahreen Location Group members’ own homes Technology classroom The library Time: Around 50 hours Money: Nothing ($0.00)

Task

5/19

5/20

5

/21

5/22

5/23

5/24

5/25

5/26

5/27

5/28

5/29

5/30

5/31

Create main character (Danny)

Create Kayla’s characters

Create Shahreen’s characters

Create Scott’s characters

Create Kayla’s background

Create Shahreen’s backgrounds

Create Scott’s backgrounds

Animate Kayla’s game

Animate Shahreen’s game

Animate Lalla’s game

Animate Scott’s game

Create introduction sequence

Create end credits

Import and link all games

Kayla

Lalla

Shahreen

Scott

Scott

Developer Log Numero Uno: 1:30-2:00, BSGE, Tech: Today, I worked on adapting our main character, Danny. I used scratch’s in-web editor, and was able to make Danny a congressperson. Finally, we discussed, briefly, how we will implement our joint games.

Developer Log #2: 5:00-7:30, Home: I worked for around 2.5 hours, and completed multiple scripts. A lot of  time was devoted to my information, and I decided to add a speed portion that has to do with clicking. I did this to make the game more interactive and fun for users.

Developers Log #3, 1:20-1:55, BSGE, Tech: Today, I added some backgrounds and created 2 scripts. I believe I am in a well along stage of my project, but I am a bit behind. I will work tonight and tomorrow afternoon to fix this.

Developer Log # 4, 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM, 5/31/15, Home: I was not able to work on my project since thursday, so I decided to finish it now. I created all of my scripts and linked the game by 1 PM, so that my group and I could discuss our game and go over the finer workings. I feel like we are in a great position, and we are already (now) done.

Group Logs:

Shahreen: 1:30-2:00, 5/19/15, BSGE, Tech. Today, my group and I worked on discussing what our projects were going to be. Also, we began starting out projects. We created a mental schedule of how much we are going to do every day and approximately when we will be finished.

Kayla, 1:30 pm- 2:00, 5/19/15 Tech Room;

Today, my group and I worked on planning on what would be included in our game. We also decided on which games would go and the basics as to who will complete one. We also brainstormed ideas on how we would connect my science-based game to the three other games based on history.

Lalla: 1:30-2:00, 5/19/15, BSGE

My group and I started to talk about what type of games we each would do, and how the will fit with each other. Shahreen, Scott, and I would make a game that deals with history/government, and Kayla is making a game that deals with science. We decided what the overall storyline would be (it would be about a kid named Danny who falls asleep in class, and each of our games is part of his dream.)

Scott: 1:30-2:00, 5/19/15, BSGE, Tech: Today, we worked on our overall plan and strategy. We planned out our timing, and were able to create a mental plan and structure. We also went over guidelines.

Shahreen: 1:30-2:00, 5/21/15, BSGE, Tech. Today, my group and I did a project plan that was a gantt plan. We made our final decisions on when we would do certain parts of our project and who would do other jobs like creating an ending sequence. We created something to refer to and to check to make sure that we are on time.  

Kayla: 1:30-2:00, 5/21/15, Tech Room;

Today, my group and I completed a gantt table that allowed us to plan when specific parts of the project would be completed. With this chart, we were able to figure out that we should be completely done with our project by May 29. We made sure that we had at least two or three days before the project was actually due to fix any errors or catch up with our group if any technical difficulties occur that set our schedule back slightly.

Lalla: 1:30-2:00, 5/21/15, BSGE

My group and I decided the plan and schedule for making the project by using a gantt chart. We all agreed that all of our project’s would be linked nad done by friday the 29 and then we would use the weekend to make any small changes. We also decided that jobs that each of us will have to do. Such as, Shahreen will make the end credits, and the I would draw Danny.

Scott, 1:30-2:00, 5/21/15, BSGE, Tech: Today in Tech, we created a Gantt chart. This will allow for us to stay on schedule and follow our promises. It will also allow for planning and organization when it comes to linking.

Shahreen: 1:20-2:00, 5/28/15, BSGE, Tech. Today, some of my group members worked on their projects. I worked on my group developer logs and helping Kayla connects her games. I also have helped her solve the problem on her laptop. It wouldn’t work unless you double-clicked on something instead of single-clicking it. The solution was opening FireFox, then closing it.

Kayla, 1:30 pm- 2:00 pm, 5/28/15

Today, Shahreen and Lalla worked with me to link my project to Shahreen’s. Lalla helped us when we had difficulty determining how my portion of the project’s game would be won.  Shahreen helped me by figuring out how to make my project flow to hers. Once I had done this, Shahreen and Lalla helped me figure out how to fix the difficulty I encountered with my personal project. This problem was that everytime specific sprites touched a sprite, the player was supposed to either win or lose, but instead, nothing would happen.

Lalla:1:20-2:00, 5/28/15, BSGE:

Today Kayla, Shahreen connected their games to the overall game and me and Scott worked on our project. Kayla also modified her project as there were glitches on it, and I also helped her with the glitches. We discussed as a group how we were going to link all of the projects and by when. We agreed to do it by saturday. We also changed the order in which the games were because Scott and I were not done with ours. So now the order for the game is, Kayla’s, Shahreen’s, Lalla’s, and then Scott’s. Also, Scott just really didn’t make any contributions. He just kept getting off task.

Scott: 1:45-2:00, BSGE, My computer experienced technical difficulties, and had a hard time loading scratch. I was able to review my scripts, and finish 2 or 3 scripts, but was not very productive. I hope to use time at home to make up for this.

Developer’s  Log Plan For Improvement

Shahreen, 1:17-1:30, 6/3/14, BSGE. If we could improve our game we would shorten the introduction, shorten the start of Kayla’s game, make my game a bit less confusing, and make Scott’s game a lot more interesting.

My game needs to be a bit more easier for some people because they cannot play a game of minimum difficulty.

Scott’s game is just too easy and it needs to be less boring because most of it is just talking. The part of it that is a game is very, very boring and that needs to be heavily improved.

The introduction needs to be shorter because it was too long.

Kayla, 1:17-1:30, 6/3/15, BSGE;

If my group and I had the chance to improve our project, we would alter one specific aspect of each individual product. Firstly, we would shorten the length of the introduction sequence, as it is too long to hold the interests of the viewers. This also applies to the instructions at the beginning of my game. We agreed that the first level of Shahreen’s game was a little too difficult for viewers who have never played the game before. Lalla’s game, although pretty good, could be improved by having a greater variety of levels and difficulties to challenge the player more. Lastly, we agreed that Scott’s game was slightly confusing and did not have a clear objective to the game. We could also add more interactive devices because there was not enough for the player to interact with, causing the game to not hold people’s interests for very long.

Lalla: 6/3/15, 1:17-1:30pm, BSGE

If we could improve our game, we would shorten the introduction and Kayla’s beginning and also make Shahreen’s game less confusing and also make Scott’s game less boring and clearer to play. It didn’t really grab the player’s attention at times and the actual game was so short and confusing, it just lost the player’s interest. Shahreen’s game was wasn’t My game needs to be more challenging as the platform is the same for all levels and also make the bullet for attacking at the same place as the player instead of above its head. Also, Shahreen’s speed for the attackers needs to be slower as it is too challenging at times as well. The enemy would be so fast and random, that sometimes there wasn’t any time at all for the player to attack sometimes.

Scott: 1:20-1:35, 6/3/15. BSGE, Tech: I would work on improving my playability. I would focus on adding more “game” to even out with the instruction. This would cause more interest, and increase the replay amount. It would also keep the player happy and playing a game, instead of sitting there and learning.

I would also like to replay the game, and find any bugs and glitches. Since it was rather long, I was not able to see it that much, and replaying it would help put me at ease. It would also let me fine-comb the details and sort out any difficulties.

Our group would individually work on our projects. We would mostly focus on our instructions and playability, to make it more fun.

Scott’s Reflection:

In my individual project, I feel like my information and depth are strengths. I had to study the inner workings of Congress to make this game as factually correct as possible, and I feel like this made it correct. I wanted this game to be very informational because many kids find this information boring. By presenting the facts, I believe they will enjoy it more. I feel like a weakness in my project is the lack of user interactivity. While there is some of it, it is not abundant, like some other games. I feel like our group worked great together. All that I can say is positive, and there is not a single bad comment about them that I have to say. I really enjoyed working with them and hope to have similar experiences in the future.

Scott’s Game: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/63567150/

Defenders

Maya-

INDIVIDUAL PROJECT

Game Mechanics:

• rules:

• The player can choose between a female and male character.  This will be programmed to be the character they use throughout the entire minigame.

• The player’s job is to complete levels.  

• gameplay/game engine:

• The player will most likely play by running across the landscape set out for each level with their character.

• User Interface:

• Players will move with keys A and D to move horizontally, spacebar to jump.

Objectives:

• Story:

• To clear all levels and pass invading troops, the player must maneuver a dangerous obstacle course.

• Characters:

• A small black ball will serve as the avatar.

Obstacles:

• Bosses: The minigame will have a boss, generic and guarding the treasure at the end of the level.

• Red Areas: If the player falls into the

Chrome:

• Graphics/Art: All of the aspects of the game will be personally created, either hand-drawn and edited online or just drawn online/ on scratch. Hopefully the art will be interesting enough to keep player’s interest.

• Sound/Music: There will be interesting music in the background.

• Academic Content: The game will serve as a way of teaching history to the players. They will have to answer questions relating to the theme while enjoying the aspects of the game.

Project  Gantt Chart

Task

5/20

5/21

5/22

5/23

5/24

5/25

5/26

5/27

5/28

5/29

5/30

5/31

6/1

Create backgrounds

Create all Sprites

Find Sound effects/ music

Create enemies/ bosses

Animate Marc’s project

Animate Katia’s project

Animate Maya’s project

Animate Rayan’s project

Create title sequence

Create ending sequence/

Import all individual projects into group product

Marc

Maya

Rayan

Katia

DEVELOPER'S LOGS

Thursday, May 21st, 2015. 1:30-2:00. BSGE. MAYA

Today I attempted to complete one of my character sprite through the Scratch sprite creator by drawing. I was able to get most of the sprite done, though I would be more comfortable restarting it.

Maya Tuesday May 26th 2015 1:30-2:10 pm BSGE

Today I was able to find the game that I want to remix and I got more familiar with its content and what I will have to alter. I experimented with some of the controls as well, and attempted to fiddle with some of the sprites to make them more like the ones I will be using in the game. Originally when planning the project I thought I would be able to begin my own game without having to remix but since there won’t be enough time and I am severely behind schedule I don’t think that I will be able to do that, as it is too time consuming. I will also alter the schedules a bit since I think that I won’t be able to get everything done when I said I would.

Maya   May 28th 2015 BSGE 1:30-2:00 pm

Today was rather slow, as I had to transfer my work from my personal account to the group’s and modify it. I also experienced several glitches in the game coding that was kind of frustrating because I wasn’t able to get to the steps I wanted to get to, which also means I’m going to have to work on that at home, and push the schedule back again, and that’s what’s probably the most problematic. I am also unsure of certain codes that I need to incorporate into the game. If it doesn’t work or I don’t find out another way how soon, there essentially will not be a direct educational aspect of the game and I will either have to 1) reframe the entire game to fit a new educational thing, or 2) start again. Both are pretty bad options, so I will have to spend a lot of time working on that part of the game.

Maya   May 30th 2015

I have decided to abolish the storyline because of timing and just work off of the game that I am remixing. I also know it's going to take a lot of time to import all of the projects anyway.

Group log May 30th 1:55-2:05 BSGE

Marc

We discussed what type of game and what subject we were going to teach. We also generally discussed our progress.

Katia

we discussed what was happening and we planned how it was going to go in the final p

Rayan

i satan

Maya

We discussed what we were doing and the plans for making this project, such as which games we were remixing and everyone’s part in the group.

Group Log May 30th 2015 3-3:15pm Home

Marc

I think that this meeting went well. We discussed mainly on our progress on the project. Everyone was present and we found out that all of us were nearly done.

Rayan

We managed to complete a brief analyzation of our project’s progress, were nearly done.

Maya

This meeting was brief, but efficient. We were able to discuss what point we were at with the project and who was doing what, just to clarify. As it is my responsibility to import all of the projects, it was very helpful to know where everyone was.

Katia

we did a lot of work in th9s time period and a lot of work was accomplished by everyone today

EVALUATE

Maya:   https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/65039356/

1. A strength I would like to highlight would be deciding the format and original game that I would create. I didn’t take a lot of time to decide this at all and it was very easy for me to adapt to the design of the game I was remixing.

2. My project could have improved greatly if I was more aware of time/ more efficient with how I spent time. The game I originally planned to create was overly elaborate and pretty much impossible to have made concerning my time schedule. I had a lot of trouble with time management, which seems to be a recurring problem with my projects in Scratch. This also affected how the group project was impacted, so it is definitely a problem that needs to be fixed in the future.

3. I think that I helped with the overall planning of the project, though executing it was the responsibility of individual members of the group. I also put together the final project/imported all of the games into one project.  

4. The group could have been a bit more timely, by which I mean we could have stuck to the schedule we originally planned out and not been so behind. I am also extremely guilty of this, so it wasn’t any particular person in the group, just overall.

5. Marc- Marc was very  helpful, he organized group meetings and helped a lot with decisions that the group had to make. He was also very willing to help out with whatever was a problem at the moment.
    Katia- Katia was a very good member of the group, she was present for most of the meetings and did everything she was supposed to. She was willing to meet whenever there was a meeting, and responded to questions. She helped out a lot.
    Rayan- Rayan worked really well in the group, he got everything done quite efficiently and was pretty helpful in terms of engaging with the group.

6. Marc- Marc could have worked a bit more efficiently, but that is something that goes for everyone, and still it didn’t negatively impact the group.
    Katia- Kat could have been a bit more invested in working with the group and been more present and available, but I don’t think it was really an issue.
    Rayan- Rayan could have contributed a bit more to everyone’s project, but there were no major issues.