All news in Gaming and New Media

Ayiti: The Cost Of Life Game

by: 20mannans

Ayiti: The cost of life is a game where the point of the game is to test your skills on how to survive with very little. You are playing as 5 family members that are very poor and have very little. Your mission is to survive four years without all of your family members all dead, it sounds quite simple but its much more complicated. You must choose a strategy (health,education,money,happiness) that will help you thrive through out the game. Its very hard to mantain a balance of all 4 stratagies in order to win even though your supposed to focus on 1 main strategy.
The first time I played I had no idea what I was supposed to do and so I realized I wasnt implying any strategy in order to win. Turns out you have to click on the character and then click on the place you want to send them to. But I didnt know that at first when I was playing, but even then i survived through almost 4 years until i realized i was doing something wrong and so i quit the game and restarted.
The second time i played i decided i would go with education as a strategy. Since educations gives you boost in the game and can get you good paying jobs. I sent the kids to school where they got some education from Catholic school and the parents to work . But then the family turned broke and so the kids had to go back home. So I thought education did'nt really work out and so i sent some of the kids to volunteer to get some education but they got too sick and died.
The third time I played i tried to focus on health and it didnt work out so well because the family was very broke and easily became ill by working and so there was no money left to send them to the clinic.

My experience playing "Ayiti: The Cost of Life"

by: 20breent

"Ayiti: The Cost of Life" is a very interesting game. My first game, I had no idea what to do so I kept all of my family at home and they all got sick and died the first summer. My second time, I started to figure out what to do, and everybody but the father died by Year 3. However, the father survived with 2 education, no diplomas, 0 health, and 0 happiness. My third time was not much better. Only the mother and father were left at the end of year 4. The mom had 0 health, 0 happiness, 4 education, and 1 diploma. The dad had 0 health, 0 happiness, 2 education, and no diplomas.

Ayiti: The Cost of Life

by: 20rajua
Cité Soleil, a suburb of Port-au-Prince, Haiti

Ayiti: The Cost of Life is a game set in Haiti, or Ayiti in Haitian Creole. You play as a family of five trying to have a better life. The game is played turn by turn except an emergency occurs (which is actually very common). Your family has a family farm, can work outside, has access to the school and the hospital. Also, each person has a specific amount of health, happiness, and education level that fluctuates throughout the game.

My main strategy initially was to sent two of the kids to school at one time and then have the rest work in the distillery, market, or farm. This however, didn’t work out, for everyone eventually got sick, and I couldn’t pay for the hospital visits, leaving the dad the only survivor in the family. I had trouble with their happiness as well because I couldn’t find a way to make them happier. What really made no sense was the exaggerated effects of depression on one’s work and school, for the characters couldn’t work somewhere just because the had depression. In real life, they would be committed to keeping the job and not let their minor depression of their financial state weigh them down, for the job would allow for a better financial state. In the second try, I decided to do the same thing, yet take them to the hospital even when they’re slightly sick. I thought this would lead to healthier people and people who could work. However, I ran out of money pretty soon and the depression and happiness dilemma still haunted me. I eventually survived with only the father and teenage boy. On the last try, to avoid my mistakes, I make everyone work in the first year or so, when they had a lot of health and happiness and then accumulate that money later on to pay for medical expenses. However, the happiness and depression dilemma still haunted me and everyone died from the hard work conditions that I had forced them to do earlier, and I eventually couldn’t pay all of the hospital bills once my money depleted. I ended up surviving only with the teenage son and had to end the game early.

Ayiti: The Game of Life Summary

by: 20mehtar
Ayiti: The Cost of Life

Ayiti: The Cost of LifeThe game on ayiti.globalkids.org is a game about a black family of 5 people trying to survive in the land of Haiti. In the game, there are four strategies that you can use to try and beat the game, education, health, happiness, and money.

I played this game three times and I used three different strategies to try and beat the game - education, money, and health.

Each time, I played with a different strategy in the game, I tried to get each person in the family to have a great amount of it. For example, if I played with the strategy of money, then I tried to make each person in the family do activities that give them a little education like volunteering and going to school. Though, each time I played with the different strategies, I lost the game because the family ran out of money, got sick, and died.

Even though, I tried to equally make each person in the family work and rest, I still lost the game each time i played.

March Madness

by: pridgeon8

Ok so its March and that only means one thing, March madness. This basketball tournament is played every year with the hopes of crowning a new king. Every basketball fan in the united states tries to watch these games. Its conference verses conference and it makes for a goo matchup. But I think the reason so many people watch this tournament is there is always one cinderella team. Now when I say a cinderella team I am referring to a team that is not suppose to win. Every odd in the world is against them but somehow they pull it off. That and the fact that every game in this tournament is close. There are wild halfcourt shots at the buzzer and clutch free throws at the line. It gives fans a new team to hope for and its just a great amount of joy to watch for everyone.

Now i am on to the bracket play. This is a system in which they arrange the teams. It is turned into a friendly competition with friends and family. YOu get to pick teams to win the first games in then if you think that they will keep on winning you keep picking them. You are probably thinking, well this sounds easy....Well its really not almost always the number one seeds get knocked off and the two seeds do get knocked off as well. What i mean when i say knocked of is when a very good team loses to a not so good team. Its a game of chance and I have had a blast doing it every year.

In what ways can you use the Internet whist avoiding the risks?

by: 20akyuza
Internet

On the web, it might look like a reliable piece of modern media and it is clean on the exterior. But in the inside, there are some or more hazards where ever you go, whether you are typing a book report or searching the online dictionary. Sometimes you can avoid risks by checking if the website is okay for any usage. If the URL starts with http:, or https:, it is clean. You can also check the "About" section in a website you don't trust to check if there are trojans (hidden viruses in an app or web page) or phishing issues, which is an online way to get someone's password for their email, bank account, etc. If the website says it is clean, it probably is. If it doesn't have an "About" section, get out of the site immediately. Also, you should be aware of hackers and code-breakers, so stay away from any application that hackers can gat any access code of any sort. Also avoid websites that have not enough security from hackers. Another tip is if you want to use some one else's information, image, document, etc, you not only need to cite that in a lab report, but you need to check if it is in Copyright (©). If it is, then you need to get permission to use it, and that would be a hassle. You need information that is in Creative Commons, or filter out the copyright files [if using images websites, like Google Images] so it would be much easier to use files, but you still have to cite it though! If you want to avoid any risks, then you could follow some of these pieces of advice. The Internet is dangerous enough to crash your computer, and you can be able to prevent them from penetrating your computer.

Internet is Innocent

by: atang

Weblog
In what way is the internet potentially dangerous? Our world in slowly progressing and becoming better and advance. But there is always some cons to something new. The internet, fairly new and a place where people post what they are doing, talk to friends and meet new people. But in the world some people don’t respect others which leads to things like cyberbullying, where people talk negative things about other people. In social media like facebook and in the gaming industry cyberbully is becoming an ongoing problem same with sexual predators. But the internet is not becoming dangerous it is the people on the internet that are the cause of these problems.

The internet itself is of no harm. Its the people behind the scenes and their actions that turns the internet from something harmless to something potentially dangerous. Like the internet, guns and knives can be use for the good or the bad, all of it depends on how people use it. The like many other devices the person using it is responsible for example on kqed.org they said that “Tevon Harris, a 22 year old in Houston, TX, plead guilty to two charges of child sex trafficking. He would meet young girls online, and gain their trust by talking to them about their goals and dreams. He would tell them that he was going to help them become models, and ask to meet up in person. When he picked them up, he took them to hotel rooms, forced them to take drugs, raped them, and took away their phones—cutting off communication with the outside world. He took their photos and posted them online as advertisements for prostitution. Then, he forced them to meet with the people who would buy them online, and kept all of the money that they received.”. If Tevon never decided to do such an act this would have never happened.

I personally believe that cyberbully is another thing that causes the internet to become something negative. In my experience I have played games that players would talk vulgar and negative things about me and another players, when in actuality they are hardly doing any better than the rest of us. I think for cyberbully the players should either be more nicer and not talk negative about others or they should not talk at all about others. On www.ongamers.com they said “Carter was arrested in March after comments made on Facebook following a League of Legends match. After another player called him crazy, Carter responded by saying "I'm fucked in the head alright, I think Imma shoot up a kindergarten and watch the blood of the innocent reign down."
He reportedly followed up these comments with "lol" and "jk". A woman in Canada saw his comments and informed the Canadian authorities, “
As you can see your action will affect you in amazing ways like what happened to Carter. Because the women failed to understood gaming terms for “just kidding” Carter ended up in jail. If he never said such ridiculous things it would not have ended that way for him.

In conclusion I believe the internet is not the problem per say but the actions of the users behind the internet that is the problem. If we learn to rethink our action the internet will only be a place to post things and have fun online in games.

Juan's Animated Introduction

Here’s my animated introduction:

My name is Juan Carlos Alejo. I am from Mexico. I am 15 years old. I was born on April 7, 19-99. My mom is Maria de Lourdes and my dad is Lucas Alejo. I have two siblings, an older sister named Norma and a younger brother named Luis. We live in Sunset Park, Brooklyn.

Just last year, I was living in a village in Mexico called the Tuxtepec state of Oaxaca. It is a place with lots of trees, warm temperatures, many lakes, rivers and ponds. There is a little wildlife. It feels good be there because there is more free space. It is a poor place and there are no large buildings, shopping centers, or libraries. When I'm there, I think, “This is the place where I spent my childhood, where I was born, where I grew up, where I saw many people in my family die. Beyond the birdsong, the sound of the cars is heard, and you can see many flowers, trees, and many animals. Also you can smell the great aroma of food cooking and natural fruits, almost everything.

Today, in New York, I am studying at a school whose teachers are good. My favorite class is art, an issue that I got this year I hope to do many things in the coming year. I would like to learn to drive, cook well. I'm good at volleyball because I learned when I was 10. My uncle showed me each to go park. Outside of school, I do not usually go because I could lose myself in this great city.
That is my introduction.