All news in Gaming and New Media

The Spirit in the Bottle

by: 19guox

A: Investigate:
a.) Story title and Author: The Spirit in the Bottle by the Brothers Grimm
b.) http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~spok/grimmtmp/074.txt
c.) The main character is the son and his name is Jared.
d.) The ethical decision is whether the character should trust a person one more time and give him a second chance.
e.) Jared chooses to believe in the spirit thinking that he really wouldn’t kill him after a second and gets the ability to become a doctor for believing in himself and the spirit. The consequences for not trusting the spirit a second time is having to work with his father for the rest of his life as a woodcutter and then getting lost in the woods one day.
f.) The alternative ending is helping the spirit and living a good life or not helping the spirit and live as a servant forever until death.
g.) The moral/ethical lesson is trying to give others a second chance to redeem themselves and believe in yourself because in the end you might get what you want in the first place and they will be grateful for you.

Characters are Jared, Father (woodcutter), spirit, Rich Lady, Jace, Jacob.
B: Design
Story Script:
The setting is where Jared and his poor father a woodcutter is at home thinking about what he earned today.
Scene 1:
Father: I must be able to earn much more than this for you to go to school.
Jared: Father, it’s ok I can stay home and help you with your work..
Father: No it is not okay my son, you must go to school and learn another trade that will benefit you in life.
Jared: But father, your trade is enough for life.
Father: Barely, you are going to school with the money that I saved up and I hope you achieve well in your classes.
Jared: If you insist father, I will learn my trade well enough to help you instead of just being useless here.
Father: Take my little amount of money to use. Oh and also go get my ax?
Gives the money to Jared
Jared: But why do you need your ax for? It’s nearly midnight and you can barely carry it.
Master: I must cut more wood to sell so that you may be able to stay in school longer.
Jared: I understand, I will do my best in school and learn another trade that will benefit both of us.
Scene 2:
The setting is in the woods where the woodcutter tries to teach Jared the trade after his money runs out and Jared can no longer stay in school.
Father: Do you have the ax that you borrowed from our neighbor?
Jared holds up the rather battered looking axe
Jared: Yes
Father: Good, now start chopping down trees as fast as you can.
After an hour of chopping the two eat and rest for a while.
Jared: I’m going to go back to the house to get something.
Spirit: Let me out, let me out, whoever lets me out will get a reward from me.
Jared: Where are you?
Spirit: You’re stepping on me
Jared takes his feet off and finds a antique silver bottle and inside is a human inside and opens it carelessly.
Spirit: Now you can go die in a hole.
Jared: Why would you do this to me?
Spirit: I was once a powerful magician but because of trickery I was forced into this bottle. I shall vent my anger out on you.
Jared: Wait, can you really do magic tricks? I mean, I don’t think you can really even though you managed to fit into the bottle?
Spirit: Excuse me? I will murder you to prove it.
Jared: How about you turn that tree into gold while you’re inside this miniature bottle? Then maybe, you can try to kill me because I’m running out of here as soon as you start.
The spirit goes back into his bottle and Jared quickly seals the bottle.
Spirit: Father of God! I swear, if you let me out, I promise to not kill you and reward you.
Negative:
Jared: No thanks, I’m not helping you bye.
Goes away but finds himself unable to find his way to his father.
Jared: Argh, how can I not find my way to my father? Did that spirit place a spell on me?
He spins and falls down.
Scene 3:
The setting is in this another foreign place like a castle when Jared wakes up.
Jared: Where in the world am I?
Rich Lady: Who are you? You look strange and out of place.
Jared: I- um.
Rich Lady: Ok your my servant let’s go.
She turns and beckons Jared to follow her, curious about this place, he does.
Jared spends the whole day learning about the country and how to take care of the Rich Lady’s palace who won’t tell him what her name is.
Jared: Can you please tell me the name of this country?
Rich Lady: I’m sorry but you are my servant and I don’t have to listen to me. As you punishment you have to clean the whole floor on this level.
Jared: What? That’s impossible!
Rich Lady: And the second level.
Jared: I was never your servant in the first place! I’m getting out of here!
Everything suddenly turns black.
Scene 4
The setting is in this prison where Jared finds himself lock in there.
Jared: Argh, I hate to repeat this question but where am I?
A figure looms from the corner
Jacob: My name’s Jacob, welcome to the small room.
Jared: Oh. But why did I end up here?
Jacob: Do I look like I care about you? No offense intended.
Jared: Um, it’s ok I’m not really that offend.
For the second time in a row, everything turns black and Jared wakes up to find the Rich Lady staring into his face
Rich Lady: Get up will you, and finish cleaning the floor.
Jared: I should have gave that spirit or magician and second chance, I could have a better life than this.

Positive:
Jared: Fine, I’ll help although I have no clue why I’m such a nice person, be happy.
He unseals the bottle and the spirit rises in full form again.
Spirit: Here’s your reward.
Three seeds that is made of gold appears in his hand and also a book.
Spirit: The first coin gives you money, the second never ending food, and the third immortal. The book is my copy of spells and will make you the smartest person alive.
Jared: Wait, for real?
The spirit disappears
Jared: Oh well, I’ll find out.
Jared runs back to the woods and work with the father until sunset.
Scene 3:
The setting is in the city where they are trying to buy some food to eat.
Jared: Father, you wait here, I will go buy what you want for dinner tonight.
Father: Ok, but hurry up, I’m getting hungry.
Jared gets the food
Father turns pale
Father: Where did you get all of this? We are not this rich!
Jared: Because I’m such a nice person that’s why.
Father: Shut up and tell me the reason will you.
Jared: Ok gees, I used a magical coin that produces never ending money although I have two other coins also. I don’t get why I need a coin for money and food when I can just use the coin of money to buy food.
Father: Who did you get it from?
Jared: A spirit, it’s his way of paying me back.
Father: For what may I ask?
Jared: Well, I gave him a second chance and saved his life.
Father: Oh.
Jared: Yep, and the third coin is immortality and I also received a book of spells.
Father: You’re really lucky.
Jared: I’m glad I helped him. Now let’s party!

View information:
(Son): {Ask view a question} Is it a good idea to release the spirit after he swore to threaten me, or should i trust his word that he will reward me Should I release him or should I leave him in the bottle? {negative choice} (Wait for my answer)

or

two sprites appear, one labeled positive and one labeled negative. Pause until view choses one of the two sprites.

C: Plan
Resources:
Tools:
-laptop
-internet
-google drive
-website scratch.mit.edu
-Scratch program
-notes from class
-Unit 3 Project sheet Design Specification
Materials:
-backgrounds and sprites (www.clker.com, openclipart.org, dreamstime.com)
-subscripts consisting of wait blocks and say blocks (example, When green flag clicked,
Labor:
-I’m doing everything by myself with no help.
Credits to:
-Sprites: Coin:www.clker.com, Ghost:openclipart.org, Old man: www.clipartof.com, ax: openclipart.org
-Backgrounds: www.dreamstime.com
Plan of Action:
1.) Open my project on google drive.
2.) Open scratch animation
3.) Get out notes from class
4.) Try to work on animation without getting distracted or procrastination.
5.) Use some movement blocks and saying blocks combine together.
6.) Make sure the script is what I’m really going to be using.
I plan to spend three days working on the subscripts and not sprites and each day for about an hour because it’s hard to make the animation properly without preparations. All of them would be at home where I’m just going to start working on the animation by making the sprites and backgrounds first with no blocks or subscript because it’ll make things complicated. Then I would start making the subscripts from my script from the beginning.Then I would spend the day before the project is due working on the animation fully and making sure there is no mistake on anything. I don’t really have a specific plan and I usually do things on snap decision so it’s kind of hard know what I’m going to do exactly.

D: Create
Developer Journal/Log
Session #1:
Date: 5/2/14
Time: 12:56 p.m. to 1:56 p.m.
Amount of time spend on this: 1 hour
Location: At home

Sesson #2:
Date: 5/4/12
Time: 3:40 p.m. to 4:40 p.m.
Amount of time spend on this: 1 hour
Location: At home

Session #3:
Date: 5/5/14
Time: 7:00 to 11:00 p.m
Amount of time spend on this: 4 hours
Location: At home

Short Summary:
On my first session I tried making all my sprites and backgrounds and then decided to try and start the subscripts for the two main sprites. On my second session I checked over my sprites and everything else to make sure it’s correct and continue working on the script that will be in the animation. On my third, I continue working on the animation and and used the broadcast and receive blocks in necessary places when the wait blocks doesn’t help sprites to switch between. I used the green flag a lot and hide with it so that when the beginning of the animation started some of the sprites not needed for a scene will show because of the subscript of green flag and hide is used.
Problems and Solutions:
Some problems I was having was how to get my sprites to broadcast the positive and negative ending correctly. But I managed to figure it out by asking my friends what type of blocks should I use for clicking sprites which is using broadcast and receiving sprites when clicked and then make both of them hide after. I also had a problem with hiding and showing the sprites with correct timing but managed to after. While working on my animation on the final day, my laptop kept crashing and I couldn’t kept saving my animation every five seconds so I had to redo it over again several times which took up some of my time to work on it. Finally, the computer stopped crashing and I saved it on a flashdrive and started working on the animation.
Changes:
At first I decide to use sprites from only the program but then I had to get a lot of sprites from other sources or get them painted since the scratch program didn’t really have the sprites that fitted into my animation. It was same thing with the background, I decided to use most from program and one from other sources. I realized my script after the decision wasn’t long enough so I had to add some more lines after which took up more of my time to finish the animation. Some of my script were changed to make it sound more interesting and I had to change that in the animation. Overall, everything was more or less the same. Instead of working on the animation for four days, I only worked on it for three days because of procrastination.

E:Evaluate
This animation was more annoying to do then my first animation but in some way felt a tiny bit easier with a few exceptions because I knew what type of subscripts I had to use for certain things that I used in my animation. Like for example, I had a general idea of how long my wait blocks should be for the other sprite to finish “talking”. If the other sprite subscript consisted of a say block for two seconds, the sprite that talks next needs to wait three seconds which makes the conversation run smoothly. I was more familiar with certain subscripts but I wanted to use movement blocks and say blocks together more but it took up a lot of time so I managed to incorporate some movements though not a lot really. I was hoping it could be better than my first animation. What annoyed me was that I had to use a lot of sprites in the animation and since the sprites couldn’t interfere with each other it took up a lot of time which was really annoying. It was really hard to keep track on the amount of broadcast I had to use in order for the sprites to work so sometimes I had to make sure it was the right broadcast I was using. Also, some of my sprites weren’t as well edited so it looked kind of strange. The animation felt longer than it was and I felt like it kind of suck because it didn’t seem like a good story which worried me. Some of the movements also seem a bit strange and wasn’t the same way I wrote it for the script. But overall, I tried my best and hopefully it’s good enough.

"The Master Thief" by Aarne-Thompson (Interactive Version)

by: 19hsuihj

A: Investigate

B: Design

Story Script:

Scene 1

[Three sons are at a crosswalk where their poor father is leaving them]
Father: I am sorry my sons, but I must leave you now.
[Each son goes a different path]
[The youngest goes into the woods]
[Young boy sees a house]
[Young boy meets an old woman by the house]
Old woman: Be careful, a gang of robbers live in that house!
[Young Boy goes in the house anyway]
[Gang of robbers come]
Robbers: What are you doing in our house!
Young Boy: I didn’t do anything! Please just let me be your servant!
Robbers: We will make you our leader, if you can steal three oxen from a man at the market.
[The boy makes a sound that sounds like an ox, in the woods]
Market Man: That sounds like an ox. Better check it out.
[Market Man goes towards the woods to see if an ox is there]
[Young Boy steals all three oxen]
Robbers: We don’t want you to be our leader, we are out.
[Young Boy takes all the treasure]
[The Young Boy goes back to his poor father and puts down the money]
Father: Yay!

Scene 2

[A few years later]
[At the king’s castle]
[Sees the squire]
Young Boy: Can I marry your daughter?
Squire: Why should I let you.
Young Boy: Because I am the “Master Thief”
Squire: Oh really?
Master Thief: Yes I am.
Squire: Okay, steal a horse while riding it.
[The scene changes to a hill]
[The Squire comes in on a horse]
Master Thief: I accidentally left something in the valley, can you go get it for me?
Squire: Sure.
[The Master Thief takes the squire’s horse and rides on it.]

Viewer Interaction: Viewer chooses to steal the horse from the squire or not to steal.

Thief steals the squire’s horse (Positive)
Thief doesn’t steal squire’s horse (Negative)

C: Project Plan:

1. Resources Used
Tools: Computer Scratch, Internet,
Materials: Sprites, Backgrounds, Blocks
Labor: Credits to some sprites and some backgrounds.
Location: Home
Time: 10 hours
Money: None

2. Plan Of Action
Sequence Of Steps: I got all of my sprites needed. Then I put the blocks in according to my script. Next I would add credits to the resources that helped me. Finally I would make sure the animation is smooth and put it on the scratch website.

Schedule: I would try to get this done on the weekend and maybe edit it on Monday.

D: Developer’s Journal

Session #1, 5/3/14, 12:34 PM, Home
I spent a numerous amount of hours on this project. The exact time would be ten hours and six minutes. What I basically did was I took pictures from the internet, “Storyboardthat.com”, and “Scratch” to make a copy of what seemed to be the animation of the “Master Thief”. I did take breaks to eat and get snacks, but it didn’t take up much time. What took the most time was probably trying to coordinate all the broadcasts and make the decision smooth. The only solution was to add more directions so that the decision would play out right. I only changed the amount of time in my project plan because I didn’t think the animation would take this long.

E: Evaluate

The animation is at least 2 minutes and 30 seconds. It is also interactive. The ethical decision does have two choices. These two choices both lead to different endings. The outcomes of the animation somewhat tell a lesson of how stealing can actually make people feel fear into things you want them to do for you. One ending is positive and the other negative. Each ending are a little bit over one minute. I had to mess with some of the actions of the script, but the dialogue was all in line. My storyboard couldn’t be very similar because some things weren’t on storyboarthat.com.

Interactive Version of the Boy who Cried Wolf

by: 19parka

Story Title: The Boy Who Cried Wolf
Author: One of Aseop’s Fables
Moral of Story: Don’t lie or there will be consequences

Script:
Stage is presented: A farmground, brightly lit and full of plants
First sprite is present: Flock of sheep
Second sprite enters: Shepherd boy, named John
John: What a great day to prank somebody!
Sheep: Yeah man! Do it!
John: Okay! Let’s pull a prank on the local villagers!
John: If I yell “WOLF! WOLF!” Then the villagers will come running to help save my flock!
Sheep: Sounds good! Let’s do it!

Change Stage: To the front of the village, with John and his flock of sheep standing in front of it.
John: HELP! HELP! A WOLF IS ATTACKING MY SHEEP!
Sheep: [Sheep sounds]

Change Stage: Inside the village, with the crowd of villagers and the mayor standing in front of it
Sounds: [Village sounds; talking, gasping]
Villagers: “That’s John, the shepherd boy!”
Mayor: “We have to help him!”

Change Stage: Back to the farmground, with John and his flock of sheep standing in front of it
Mayor enters the scene, closely followed by the villagers
Sounds: [Villagers talking; murmuring]
Mayor: John! We heard you calling for help!
Villagers: Where’s the wolf? We heard there was a wolf? [More murmuring]
John: Just kidding! [Laughs hysterically]
Mayor: That’s not cool, man. We really thought a wolf was gonna kill you.
Villagers: I thought we were all friends.
Mayor and Villagers leave the scene to the right.

Change Stage: Back to the front of the village
John: That was funny!
Sheep: Let’s do it again!
John: I don’t know, I might get into trouble or it might be bad for me in the future.
Sheep: On the other hand, we can make fun of the villagers later!

Change Stage: Blank screen with two choices
[Allow the user to make the choice]

Positive Choice
John: I won’t prank the villagers again so that we can all be friends and trust each other.
Sheep: Aw man you suck.

Change Stage: To the front of the village
John: Hey guys!
Mayor: Hey there, Johnny!
Sheep: You guys all suck.
Villagers: We can trust you now!

Mayor: John, let’s promise not to prank each other anymore.
John: Alright, Mr. Mayor. I won’t listen to the demonic thoughts of my sheep inside my head anymore.
Mayor: What
John: Nothing

Change Stage: Inside the village
John: Let’s all be friends now!

Credits

Negative Choice

John: Hah! They fell for that again. Wow, it really is getting pretty dark.
Sheep: Yup. I’m getting the chills and it’s creepy out here.
John: We should be getting back to town soon.
Sheep: I don’t know if they’d be okay with us going back...
John: If they’re really mad at us, it’s your fault for making us prank them like that.
Sheep:At least I’m not talking to my own flock of sheep.
John:Shut up, Let’s get going.
Sheep:Am I hearing things? It’s so quiet because everyone’s sleeping and I can hear everything.
John: That’s just all the farm animals going to sleep.
Sheep: There aren’t any actual wolves out there, right?
John: I would hope not. That would make me look like an idiot and mark me as the antagonist if this ever became a book.
Sheep: Yeah that would be so ironic it would be overly ironic.
John: Wait do you hear that?
Sheep: Well, I don;t appear to have ears, so no. Not really.
John: Dude, I think that’s an actual wolf.
Sheep: OH LAWDY JESUS RUN EVERY SHEEP FOR HIMSELF

[Hear wolf sounds]

Credits

Developer’s Journal
10:55, In my room on 5/4/2014
The animation I started over because I messed up on the sprites and their scripts; I used a variable and it kept messing up, so today I started the animation with broadcasts with assigned actions. The “John” sprite is coordinated to walk around and the sounds olay at times where they make most sense.

9:26, In my room on 5/4/2014
I finished most of the animation today and I look forward to adding all the backgrounds and editing the scripts so that they make most sense in the way the sprites interact. Every single sprite, including John, his sheep, the mayor and the villagers (Not including the title) have dialogue and talk in a way that progresses the storyline.
Project Plan:
Materials: Sprites, Blocks, Sounds from Soundbible Audio archives, Internet
Tools: Scratch, Computer, Wifi, iPhone
Time: 7-8 Hours at home and at school
Budget: None
Labor: Only me

1. Find and draw all backgrounds and sprites required to complete portraying the chosen fairy tale, “The Boy who Cried Wolf.” (Note the authors, artists or photographers that you took the art from in order to give them credit in the end of the animation.)
2. Begin the animation and use the sprites, the backgrounds, and the sounds to create the storyline of the story The Boy Who Cried Wolf.
3. Finish the animation and upload onto websites (After citing sources)

Phase E: Evaluate
My project overall follows the design specifications because my animation was more than two minutes long, and I cite the credits to all the art and backgrounds I took from other sources (WikiArchives.) The animation is interactive; it allows the user to make a decision between two choices that affects the outcome of the story. The choices leads to two branches (The wolf eating the sheep and the villagers deciding they can trust John the Shepherd) and the user has to choose the ethical decision that can help the plot change. The choices to describe the outcome and how the outcome has consequences when you choose the unethical decision.
The project closely follows the storyboards and the script, but the storyboard is more vague to allow it to capture the overall story of the animation. The dialogue and actions of the script are identical to those in the animation.

"The Boy Who Cried Wolf" by Mairi Mackinnon

by: 19waseefr
The Boy Who Cried Wolf Title Page
The Boy Who Cried Wolf Act 1
The Boy Who Cried Wolf Act 2a
The Boy Who cried wolf Act 2b

Investigate Stage

Fable-The boy who cried wolf

B Design
Story Script

Boy-Well, well looks like I have to start tend the sheep again, I wish a wolf would show up, it add excitement and tension.
Boy-Alright now I am lonely, forever alone I guess… let me go into town.
Man-Hey sherperd boy did you tend the sheep?
Boy-Yeah, but I was all alone, like always..
Man-You don’t need company, I grew up alone and look at me know!
Boy-Yeah, okay I think you should look at yourself in the mirror again
Man-Just go home now
Boy-Alright, I will, and then it will be another boring day of tending sheep.

THE NEXT DAY

Scene 2-
Boy-Ughh, now I go tend the sheep.
Boss- YOU BETTER DO A GOOD JOB
Boy-OKAY, DON’T YELL AT ME
Boss-Just go
Boy-(As he arrives, he gets a bright idea) Hey why don’t I make a fake wolf call, I will get attention than.
Boy-Teleportation Jutsu! Towns people there is a wolf, there is a wolf
Crowd-WHAT TIME TO GET THAT UNCULTURED SWINE OUT OF THIS TOWN.
Boy-Umm...it’s in the sheep herding place.
CROWD-ALRIGHT LETS GO
(Teleportation Jutsu

Scene 3-
Man-There is no wolf!
Boy-Yeah, umm I don’t know what happened
Man-YOU TRICKED US, HOW DARE YOU, LETS LEAVE
Boy-NO NO, PLEASE DON’T, ALRIGHT LEAVE
Boy-I DON”T NEED THem
Man-You shouldn’t have done that

Scene 4-
Boy-Should I do it again

IF A PRESSED ,Positive) outcome-Boy-Alright fine, I won’t do it again.
(runs back into town.)
Townsmen-So where are the wolves?
Boy-There weren’t any, I am sorry for doing that last time, I guess it was wrong to do…
Townsmen-YOU GUESS IT WAS WRONG? BOY, IT WAS WRONG.
Boy-Okay, okay I get it, I won’t do it again.
Townsmen-Good, you learned your lesson, now get back to your job..
Boy-Oh yeah that..
If B pressed-(negative) outcome-Alright, lets do this again.
(runs back into town.)
Boy-There are wolves, lots of them they are trying to attack the sheep.
Townspeople- LETS GO
Boy-(runs with the town people)
Townspeople-WHERE ARE THE WOLVES?
Boy-Ummm...They left?
Townspeople-You lied to us again?!?!
Boy-Nope….?
Townspeople-Okay, this is the last straw you shall pay the price. (run back into town.)
Boy-Huh….I wonder why I see grey creatures coming towards me?
Boy-Wait they are wolves. (cries to the people that there are wolves.)
Man-Yeah sure
Boy-You have to listen to me,
Man-Just keep on cryin
Boy-Fine, leaves shamefully and listens to sad music

StoryBoards Act 1

Act 2a

Act 2b

Project Plan-
Resources-Sprites and backgrounds
Materials-Sprites and backgrounds
Tools-Storyboardthat, Scratch Program, internet connection, laptop.
Location-Home
Labor-Steve Wright Jr for cm punk picture
Pokemon remix studios for soundtrack 1,
All rights for WWE for Undertaker’s theme song
and Cm pUnk theme song
Money-0
Time-4 hours

Phase C

Action Plan-
Step 1-Complete storyboards and scripts.
Step 2- Get the proper music tracks and make sure it has a creative commons tag, and get proper images and make sure that has proper creative commons tag.

Step 3- Get through the actual project and make sure it is correct

Step 4- Test out the project for any mistakes and make sure it meets the design specifications.

Phase D-Create

Developer’s journal-
Well, my animation has a few modifications from my script, such as no wolf, because there were some technical difficulties and the wolf wouldn’t come out well, so I decided not go with that idea but improvise instead, and just made the wolf come but nobody saw it.. I did this at my house and it took about 4hrs.

Phase E-Evaluate

Evaluation-
Well my project does follow my script, except for the music track, my original idea was just to make a animation without music, but then I realized that the animation was a bit dull, so I decided to use music tracks to make it bit more interesting to see and watch. My animation does follow the design specifications, my animation is more than 2 minutes long, my animation is interactive with the user, as he or she decides the outcome of the story. My animation does have two branches and two different endings, and the user makes an ethical decision that involves two choices, and does teach a lesson whether or not the outcome is positive or negative. The story that leads up to the ethical decision is one minute long, and the branches that follow up the story are one minute long. My animation does not completely follow my storyboards, as there was supposed to be a wolf, but no matter what I did for some reason, I couldn’t get the timing exactly right, so therefore I took out the wolf, and just made it seem like the wolf made an off screen appearance, and there were some differences between the design and the final product, such a the music tracks, and the image I chose, i was going to choose a stock sprite that scratch already had, but they didn’t portray the character in the comedic way I wanted him to be like, and the tracks were added to make the story more interesting and exciting, and there were a few changes in dialouge as I added more lines to make the story a bit longer and more comedic.

"The Ugly Duckling" (Interactive Version)

by: 19dokicr
Story Board
Title Image

Design Phase:
Story: The Ugly Duckling
http://hca.gilead.org.il/ugly_duc.html

Script:
Characters: Mother, Sons, the Ugly Duckling

Scene 1:
Setting: Pond
Mother: Enter from left.
Two sons: Enter from right.
Mother: Look at you, all of my beautiful children!
Son1: Not all mother…
Mother: What do you mean?
Son2: Look over there, there is another egg!
Mother: That looks like a turkey egg, not mine.
Son1: Your right! Look at how ugly it is!

Scene 2:
Setting: Mother’s nest
All: Enter from left.
Son2: What an ugly egg! That is surely not yours!
Mother: Wait a second…Shh!
The egg slowly begins to crack and hatch.
All: Gasp!
Son1: ...Mother… is that a duckling…
Mother: Yes, yes it is.
Son2: That still looks like a turkey…
Son1: It is our brother. That ugly, ugly duckling.
Mother: What shall we do?

Positive Decision
Negative Decision

Scene 3A:

Son2: Let’s Abandon it!
Mother: We cannot… we are going to raise and love this ugly duckling.
Son1: Thinks, Fat chance!
Son 2: Are you sure?
Mother: Who knows? This child might help us in the years to come…

Scene 4A:

One year later...
Son1: Look at me and you, we are beautiful grown ducks!
Son 2: Our feathers shine brighter than the stars themselves!
The ugly duckling: Why am I not so elegant or beautiful?
Mother: Ahh! The pond monster! The monster is coming!
Sons and ugly duckling:Noo!
Ugly duckling: I will save you!
The Ugly duckling hits the monster, driving him away.
Son1: How, how did you do that?
Ugly duckling: I have no Idea.
Suddenly the Ugly duckling changed into a magnificent grow up duck.
Sons and Mother: Gasp!
Mother: Not only did you save us from death, but you have transformed into the most beautiful bird that I have ever seen!

Moral: Never let up on an opportunity. You never know how it could affect you later.

Scene 3B:

Son 2: Let’s Abandon it!
Mother: We should… there is no way that anyone can this ugly duckling.
Son1: Thinks, woo-hoo!
Mother: There is no way that this ugly duckling will ever be a benefit to us.

Scene 4B:

One year later…
Mother: Ahh! The monster! The monster is coming!
Sons and ugly duckling:Noo!
The monster jumps at the three ducks, eating them all.

Evaluate:
My project fits the design specifications. The animation is a total of 3 minutes long. Because of the split ethical ending, the positive outcome lasts 2 minutes and the negative outcome lasts 2 minutes. The beginning is 1 minute, totaling the animation to 3 minutes, 1 more minute than the requirement. Also, the viewer makes an ethical decision to take or leave the ugly duckling.

The fox, The ass and the lion

The ass, The fox, And the lion

A: Investigate-Choose my story
a)The ass, The fox, and the lion
b)http://www.taleswithmorals.com/the-ass-the-fox-and-the-lion.htm
c) The main character is the fox
d) whether the fox will trust the lion
e) The fox trusts the lion who is his lethal enemy.
f) The fox does not trust the lion and instead helps the ass run away.
g) Never trust your enemy

B: Design
Story script

SCENE 1:

It was a beautiful in the enchanted forest and the fox was taking a stroll.
(He meets the ass)

Fox: Hello fellow animal of the forest
Ass: why hello, nice weather we having right?
Fox: Yeah its great weather for me to go hunting for little prey
Ass: Well this grass sustains my food needs
Fox: If you need any help collecting food, i can help
Ass: Actually i would enjoy some company
Fox: Yeah i sometimes get lonely sitting at the hole of a mouse
Ass: When I’m on the prairie, its only the crickets and I want someone to talk to
Fox: You wanna see how i hunt, I’ll show you. Follow me
(The Ass and the Fox go to the signature hunting spot)
Ass: Nice hunting spot i see you caught a mouse already
Fox: yeah well i better be on my way now, goodbye!
Ass: okay goodbye

SCENE 2:
(The fox follows down the path, he then hides behind a tree to stay hidden from the great lion)

Fox: I need to keep my family safe, maybe i can negotiate with the fox?
Fox: Excuse me mister lion!
Lion: Who dares to walk down this path
Fox: Its me the fox, i want to work a compromise between us
Lion: Speak!!!
Fox: I currently made a partnership with an ass, i can lead him into a trap if you promise you won’t hurt me
Lion: Hmmmmmm, i am hungry so yes sure
Fox: Can i trust that you will not touch me or my family
Lion: I am not a liar if thats what you mean
Fox: No of course not, ill have your ass ready trapped in a hole at the desert edge at the crack of dawn

SCENE 3:
(The fox walks to the hole with the ass)

Fox: I wonder if i should do this, we are hunting buddies

Decision: Ask the user whether the fox should lead the ass to the hole or run away with the ass

Act 1-

Act 2a-

Act 2b-

C: Plan
Resources: Fables.com
Materials: Pictures, music
Tools: Scratch, Storyboard That
Location: Home in room
Labor: Me, Myself, And I
Money: 0
Time: About 4 hours

Action Plan:
1. Create the script
2. Create the storyboards
3. Find needed materials
4. Create the presentation itself

D: Create
Developers Journal

During the creation of this presentation, i ran into some common problems, How do i present this? Should i clarify what happened there?
So basically i had to improvise on what i already had. I changed the dialogue up a little bit and i had to shorten or not include some events from the storyboard such as the fox actually catching the mouse.

E: Evaluate

I thought that this project was better than the last. Since the last project i have learned more about scratch and i was able to implement some of that knowledge into this project. my presentation is well over 2 minutes because i figured that there was lots of dialogue and it was disappearing off the screen too fast so i gave the speech some more time so that the viewer would have enough time to read the speech completely. Another reason why my presentation was longer is because i added some other parts and made some parts longer. This helped to make the story flow more nicely. The story is interactive because there is a part in which the fox asks the viewer whether he should trap the ass or tell the ass about the lion. The viewer must type in either trap the ass or something else and that will result in the fox to trap the ass. Another response will have the fox tell the ass about the lion. The outcomes of the decisions tell the reader that you should never trust your enemy and never betray your friend or bad things might happen to you. Im not sure if the negative decision is one minute long but i know for sure that the positive decision is one minute long. At the end i credited myself as well as my music provider which was a youtube channel called Musicchannel0406. Overall i thought that i have done my best on this presentation and i'm looking forward to doing this again

Positive Outcome Negative Outcome Fox: Ok wait up ass, i have something to tell you
Ass: What is it?
Fox: Well where we are going is not my other hunting hole but your very death
Ass: What do you mean?
Fox: In order to keep my family and i safe, i told the lion that i would trap you in a hole so he can get you
Ass: WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!
Fox: Im sorry, i couldn’t bare the sight of you getting torn to bits so i decided to warn you
Ass: Ok thats nice but i don’t think i can trust you
Fox: Please i’m sorry, i realized that that would make me a really big fat jerk.
Ass: Okay i understand, now what will you do, the lion will be looking for you
Fox: Then lets trap him
Fox: Okay lets go to my other hunting spot, its a very good one.
Ass: Okay lets get a hurry on it
(They arrive at the ditch)
Fox: Okay jump in i’ll be right behind you
Ass: Wait this is just a hole
Fox: I know i’ll explain to you the mechanics when we are in there
(Both the fox and the ass jump in)
Ass: Okay i’m in how does it work?
Fox: Let me get my hunting stick, i’ll be right back
(The fox meets with the lion)
Fox: Okay Mr. Lion, i got the ass in there
Lion: Thank you, NOW DIE!!!!!
(The lion devours the fox and later the ass)

"the boy who cried wolf" interactive animation by aesop

act 2b
tittle page
act 2a
part 1

A: Investigate - choose my story
a. Tittle and author-
b. links to full text if the story
c. 9dentify the main character
d. identify the moral/ethical lesson
e. describe the characters
f. Describe alternite ending
g. Whats the ethical lesson?

a. The boy who cried wolf. By:Aesop
b.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boy_who_cried_Wolf
http://etc.usf.edu/lit2go/35/aesops-fables/375/the-boy-who-cried-wolf/
c. The boy who actually cried wolf.
d. You should not complain when there is actually not a problem because you may actually be in trouble one day and no one may believe you.
f. The boy had not called wolf when it wasnt true and then he had gotten help and he was okayyy.
g. That when you dont lie you can get help in times of problems.

B: Design - Script
Characters
Aaron boyh
Wolf
Grandpa
Hunters
Mama

Scene 1: (At home)

Aaron boyh: Mom im bored… ima go get some eggs for tomorrow’s breakfeast and check on the sheep.Ill be back before dark and I also want to go into the village.
Mama: Okay but that is it. DOnt get into any trouble. Hurry along now.
Aaron boyh: Okay, mama.
(Aaron boyh walked out to the garden)

Scene 2: (In the garden)

Aaron Boyh (thinking): Im so bored.. What could I do?
(He begins singing a littles toon as he walks toward the farm and passes some homes and sees a wanted sign for a wolf)

Decision : Aaron Boyh (thinking): I know! I can play a trick on the villagers about the wolf that they have been talking about… But I could get into trouble by mama.
If boy should cry wolf and have some fun then on the right arrow key.
If boy should continue on with his day without getting into any trouble the click on the left arrow key.

Aaron Boyh (thinking): Actually, I could get in trouble.. Aaron Boyh: Aghhhh!! WOLLFFF WOLFF! I SEE A WOLF!
Aaron Boyh (thinking): Actually, I could get in trouble..
(walks to the garden and tends to the sheep)
Aaron Boyh: Left! Right!
(gives the sheep orders, walks home and hums a toon)
Aaron Boyh: Hayy mom! Im home :)
Mama: How was your day?
Aaron Boyh: Fun and very uneventful.
Mama: What would you like for dinner?
Aaron Boyh: How about chicken and rice because Im very hungry.
Mama: Okay settle down. It may take a bit. Go ahead and entertain yourself for a bit.
Aaron Boyh: Aghhhh!! WOLLFFF WOLFF! I SEE A WOLF!
(hunters come running.)
Hunter: Whats wrong?
Hunter 2: direction did he go in.
Aaron Boyh: Hahaa. Just kidding.
Hunter 3: You should be ashamed and you will pay.
Aaron Boyh: Hahaaaa… Its just a joke.
( Aaron Boyh began on his journey towards the heard of sheep finally he reached them.)
Aaron Boyh:LEFT! RIGHT! LEFT! RIGHT!
Wolf: Hey there little boy!
Aaron Boyh: WOLFFFF WOLFFFF SOMEONE HELP ME!!!! im being eatten.
( wolf eats aaron boyh)

Right Key (Negative Outcome)
Left Key (Positive Outcome)

C. Project Plan:
Resources:
Materials:
sprites
backgrounds
Tools:
www.storyboardthat.com
www.googledocs.com
scratch
http://www.storyarts.org/library/aesops/stories/boy.html
internet
computer
Location:
home
school
Labor:
aesop tales
Money:
$0
Time:
Everyday for half an hour

Action Plan:
Work on the project everyday for half an hour if possible. The first day the storyboards, second day project plans, and so forth.

D. Create - Developers’ Journal
Session 1: May 1st, 4:08 pm, home
- half an hour
- part of the storyboards
- I didnt add in the entire script to the storyboards, i just added the important parts.
- you will not be able to see everything inside the storyboards.

Session 2: May 3rd, 1:24 pm, home
- an hour
- i finished the first part of the story before the decision
- i had to change some things, like the characters in the animation do not look the way i imagined them to.

Session 3: May 5th, 8:38 pm, home
- 4 hours
- im almost done with my entire project
-many little images and details are not exactly what i wanted but they are pretty close.

E. Evaluate
I think I missed some minor details about appearances and such. I wanted to make Aaron boy look different, he was a bit fat in my actual animation. My script was almost exactly the same as what I wanted it to be like. I changed some words because it was worded oddly when I read my script. I think my project was a bit short, it could have been longer and I could have changed some parts to make my project flow more naturaly and some parts in the script were too short or too long and I should have changed that. I think in the future I should plan on working on the animation a bit longer so that I actually will.

"The Devil and the Three Soldiers" based on "The Devil and his Grandmother"

by: 19weiw

A: Investigate- Choose my Story
a. The Devil and his Grandmother by the Brothers Grimm.
b. http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~spok/grimmtmp/095.txt
c. The main characters in this story are the three soldiers and the dragon/devil.
d. The ethical decision in this story is whether or not the soldiers should go with the dragon, or take a chance and stay fighting in the war with very little pay.
e. The characters make a choice to go with the dragon, and live a very easy, and prosperous life until 7 years are up and they have to face the consequences, or they go back to the king and apologize for what they did, and slowly work off their debt to the king.
f. The alternate ending is that the soldiers either go fight in the next war in honor of their country since they deserted the last one, but risk their lives, or to go with the dragon to have a life of ease for 7 years, and then pay the price.
g. The ethical lesson is that you should always stand up for your country, and fight for it, rather than take the easy route, and paying the consequences later. After all, if you die in battle, you die with honor.

B: Script
Characters
Narrator
Soldier 1
Soldier 2
Soldier 3
Dragon/Devil
Setting
The cornfield
The Dragon’s land
Script: (Scene 1)
Narrator: The story opens with three soldiers fighting a war. However, they decide to hide because the pay is too little, and they would not survive. They go to the gallows, where they hope no one will find them.
(War sounds).
Soldier 1: Look there’s a cornfield! If we go there then we will be safe!
Soldier 2: Yes, but we must not be cowards, and fight for our country!
Soldier 1: (Soldier 1 is silent for a minute, thinking of a way to persuade his fellow soldier to not fight.) That is true, but in future battles, how will we fight if we are dead?
Soldier 2: (Ponders his choice for a minute.) Alright, then. (Looks at Soldier 3.) You coming?
Soldier 3: I guess so.
(Background changes to cornfield).
Soldier 2: It’s been two days, and the troops still haven’t left yet! Even worse, we haven’t eaten either! I knew this was a bad idea from the start…
Soldier 1: Hey, it’s not like anyone held a gun to your head and forced you to come with us!
Soldier 3: Hey, what’s that? (Soldier 3 points up to the sky.) Is that… a dragon?
(Dragon enters stage right).
Dragon: Why have you concealed yourselves here?
Soldier 3: We are three soldiers who have deserted because the pay
was so bad, and now we shall have to die of hunger if we stay here,
or to dangle on the gallows if we go out.
Dragon: If you will serve me for seven years, I will convey you through the army so
that no one shall seize you.
(User chooses the Dragon)

(Scene 2A)
Narrator: Here, the dragon (devil) has brought the three soldiers to his home, where he will discuss his plans for them.
Dragon: Here is a small whip.
Soldier 3: But what do we do with it?
Dragon: Whip with it and crack it, and then you will be rich, so that you can live like great lords, keep horses, and drive your carriages. But I will only limit this to 7 years. One those 7 years are up, but when the seven years have come to an end, you will be my property, and I shall do whatever I please with you. However, I will first ask you a riddle, and if you get it correct, you will be free to go.
(Dragon exits stage right)
Narrator: 6 years, 364 days later.
Soldier 1: We are filthy rich, have good homes, and obeying wives! What else could we ask for?
Soldier 2: Don’t you realize what day this is?
Soldier 3: It’s the last day of our prosperity!
Soldier 1: Oh no! Maybe we can hide!
Soldier 2: Maybe, but there’s no use. We would eventually be caught.
(Scene 3)
(Background changes to the Dragon’s home.)
Dragon: Hello Soldiers! I’m afraid, today is the day where your 7 years come to an end. However, I did promise you the riddle, so here it is:
I will take you with me to hell.
There you shall have a meal.
What will your roast meat be?
Soldier 1: It is to be meat from a fat pig!
Dragon: Haha! Your prosperity has your mind all wired up my friend! No, no, your roast meat shall be a dead dogfish, lying in the great north sea.
What will your silver spoon be?
Soldier 2: It shall be the shining yellow of gold!
Dragon: I expected better of you my friends! No, no, your silver spoon shall be the rib of a whale.
And last,
What is to be your wine glass?
Soldier 3: It shall be polished silver!
Dragon: Alas, you have failed to correctly complete my riddle. Come away O human children! Come away!
(End)
(User chooses the King)
Soldier 1: Fine, even though the worst that can happen is, you know, getting shot for cowardice, but whatever.
(Scene 3)
(Background changes to King’s Palace)
Soldier 1: Your Majesty?
Soldier 2: We are here to gain your forgiveness after leaving the war.
King: You just... left the war.
Soldier 1: Y-y-yes sir.
King: Right. OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!!
Soldier 1: Whoa, whoa, what?
King:: A soldier’s duty is to fight and protect their country at all costs. However, you gentlemen failed to do that. So tell me, why should you not die, like so many other of your friends? Because you’re better than them?
Soldier 1: No, your majesty, but it’s just that we’ve come to repay. We’ll do anything you ask of us-really, anything, just to get back in your good graces.
King: Well in that case… the toilets could do with a bit of cleaning.
5 years later…
Soldier 1: Yes, your majesty?
King: Over the past few years, you have shown me that you are committed to your job. As a reward, I will find each and one of you a job, and make sure they pay you well for your hard work- and I’ll wipe your record clean. Now, off you go.
Soldier 2: See? What did I tell you? It’s always a good idea to admit what you’ve done and make up for what you did wrong.
(End)

Interactive Decision
The character will be asked a question by a character, and then they will either press “k”, for King, or “d”, for Dragon.

Positive Decision Negative Decision
The positive decision is that the characters choose the king, which means that they will admit that they were cowards, and give themselves in, to make up for their cowardice. The negative decision is that the soldiers will choose the Dragon, and live easily for 7 years, but then pay the price aftwerwards.

C: Project Plan
Resources:
Materials: Sprites from StoryboardThat, Backgrounds.
Tools: Scratch, StoryboardThat, Internet, Computer.
Location: BSGE Tech room, Home.
Labor: Wei Wei.
Money: $0
Time: 5 hours.
Action Plan:
D: Create
Developer’s Journal:
My project was done on 5/4/14,5/5/14,and 5/6/14. I did my project at home and at BSGE because Shantanu gave us some time to work on our storyboards and scripts at school. What went wrong was that sometimes the timing would be off, and the character’s would speak out of turn. I would just constantly replay the animation, and fixed the things that I saw were wrong every time I came across them.

E: Evaluate
My project followed the guidelines. My animation was at least two minutes long, it was interactive (pressing “k” or “d”), it involved an ethical decision involving exactly two choices, and it had two branches that had different endings depending on the viewer’s decision. The outcomes of the the two decisions tell a lesson about the consequences of positive and negative ethical choices. Lastly, the story leading up to the decision was one minute long, and both branches after the decision were one minute long. My animation followed my script and mostly followed my storyboard. This was because you (Shantanu) said that the storyboards didn’t have to be exact word for word, as long as they summed up the main idea of what was going on in the story as of that moment. So, instead of putting the whole entire story into storyboard panels, I would either take some of the text out, or change it slightly so that I could say what the whole chunk of words were saying, but in a shorter way that would describe what was going on in my script with enough efficiency that the storyboard is still recognizable as part of the story. Apart from minor mistakes that I might not have caught, my animation follows my script almost exactly, if not exactly.

The dog and the wolf by Aesop (Interactive version)

The dog and the wolf by Aesop
The dog and the wolf by Aesop
The dog and the wolf by Aesop
The dog and the wolf by Aesop

A: Investigate-Choose my story
1. The dog and the wolf, by Aesop.
2. http://aesopfables.com/cgi/aesop1.cgi?sel&TheDogandtheWolf
3. The main character is the wolf.
4.The decision of the story is whether or not to go with the wolf to be fed but be tied up or to be free and to starve.
5.The wolf chooses to be free and to starve then to be tied up and fed he values his freedom more than food.
6.An alternative ending to the story could be that the wolf decides to go with the dog and because of his greedy decision he is beaten and tied up with no freedom.
7. The decision is that you shouldn't choose greed over freedom.
B: Design
Story script
Setting: near the edge of a small village.
Two characters the wolf and the dog.
The wolf sat nearly starved to death on the edge of the tiny town in the mountains. He hadn’t eaten in a very long time so you could see his ribs when he stood up. The only times he got food was when their was a kind villager who would give him food or when he hunted for it, but now he was to weak.. He was very sad and alone, but he was very happy too because he was free unlike the house dogs who were his cousins. he wasn’t really sure if he wanted to be a house dog or not. They were well fed but tied up to a wall and weren't allowed to go anywhere like the wolf was, they had to work very hard but they said it was worth it because they didn’t starve. Later on in that same day his cousin came by to see him, he was very healthy and well fed but his neck had no hair on it because of an abusive owner and being tied up all night. He asked the wolf do you want to come with me where you can work for my master and not starve. He wasn’t really sure whether to go or not because he would didnt want to be abused or to starve he wasn’t sure what to do.
Interactive Decision: Whether to go with the dog to be fed and abused or to be free and starve.

[POSITIVE DECISION] [NEGATIVE DECISION]
The wolf decides not to go with His cousin because he would rather starve then be abused and tied up. due to his good decision and not being greedy the next day he gathers whatever strength he had left and went out to hunt for food. As he did this he found a hunter in the woods that fed him one of his catches they became best friends. Everyday the wolf would find the hunter he would be fed and then he would help the hunter hunt. The best part though was that he kept his freedom. With his new hunter companion he lived well into his old age and died well fed and happy. The wolf decides to go with his cousin because he was greedy and didn't really care about being abused because he just wanted food. When he followed the dog home the dog went to its master and told him to come at that he has a new worker. The only problem is that his master was crazy and hated wolves. he took a stick and hit the wolf with hit this had injured the wolf really badly, this shows that to those who are greedy get punished.
The wolf paid for his greedy actions then later he fell into an eternal sleep because he was so weak and hungry.

C: Plan
Project plan
Materials:The internet and my computer, also the fables.
Tools: scratch and storyboard that.
Location: home and school.
Labor: i will be the only one to work on it. I got the fable from aesop and i used scratch.
Money: 0$
Time: about six or seven hours.
Procedure
First i found a fable that i like which is the dog and the wolf. Then i wrote the script and did the storyboards. which took me about an hour or two hours to complete all together. Then i thought about how i wanted to make it on scratch. After looking back at my storyboards i did it on scratch. after redoing it three times i made sure it actually worked and was able to be play over and over again once that was done it published it to scratch.
D: Create
I did most of the project on may 3 2014 but published my scratch final animation on the 5 of may after fixing it up to make sure it worked. The first time i did it, it didn't redo it after it was done so i fixed that by making sure to add pre done setting so when you pressed the green flag it would reset itself. After i fixed that i tried to do the narrating for the story because my characters don't talk that had to be the hardest and annoying part because i sneezed and messed up on words multiple times so i had to restart a lot and also i kept on saying the wrong things. The story board part was the easiest i finished those at home i usually spend one whole time one these projects but this time i split it up into parts which worked in y advantage because it was alot easier to do. I spent about four hours at home working then about another 5 or 4 at home i am not really sure how long i spent on this project. The majority of the project was done at home though. This was a pretty fun and complicated project i hated narrating my story though.

INSTRUCTIONS READ TO PLAY VIDEO When decision pops up Press g for good ending and b for bad ending.
E: Evaluate
Self evaluation
My project meet all the design specifications because it had two moral decisions and the each part was more than a minute long. They also followed the constraints. My ethical decisions were a minute long each. My story followed the script somewhat i did change because in my head because i was narrating it seemed better to say some things that weren't in my script. I also added a few sentences to make it more interesting. They did however have the same characters and the same thing happened up until the decision as in the poem it was just written and shown differently. My story did follow the story boards but like i said before i change the writing, in the settings i also changed the way the characters look and how the background looked compared to the storyboards because i am horrible at drawing things in the computer. Maybe next time i could make another draft of my script to show what i first thought of and what i will be putting in the actual animation itself. overall i am proud of myself that i did this but i think i could have done it a lot better.

"The Snow Man" by Hans Christian Andersen (Interactive Animations)

by: 19xues
The Snow Man by Hans Christian Andersen
The Snow Man by Hans Christian Andersen
The Snow Man by Hans Christian Andersen
The Snow Man by Hans Christian Andersen

A: INVESTIGATE - Choose my Story
a) The Snow Man by Hans Christian Andersen
b) Link: http://hca.gilead.org.il/snow_man.html
c) Main Character: The Snowman
d) Moral/Ethical Decision: whether to be addicted to the stove or not
e) Character’s Choice And Consequence In Story: The Snowman decided to fall in love with a stove, and melts because it isn’t aware of the thawing weather.
f) Alternate Ending: The Snowman forces itself not to be addicted to the warm stove, and climbs underground of the ice right before winter ends. It sleeps soundly until the next wind cold.
g) Ethical Lesson: Curiosity can lead to grave danger.

B: DESIGN
Story Script
Characters- Snow Man (main character)
Dog (secondary character)
Scene 1 - Outside in the snow; Snow Man is stage left and dog is stage right.
Snow Man: It is so delightfully cold, that it makes my whole body crackle.
(The sun rises up to the sky)
Snow Man: The sun shall not make me wink. I shall manage to keep the pieces.
Dog (barks): Away, away!
Snow Man: Is that thing up there to teach me to run? I saw it running itself a little while ago, and now it has come creeping up from the other side.
Dog: You know nothing at all. What you see is the moon, and the one before it was the sun.
Snow Man: Sorry, I don’t understand you?
Dog: It will come again tomorrow, and eventually get warmer; the weather is going to change.
Snow Man (thinking): What will come? What will happen?
Dog (barks): Away, away!
(Dog runs 50 steps to the right and disappears)
Snow Man: I have a feeling that he is talking of something very disagreeable. The one who stared so just now, and whom he calls the sun, is not my friend; I can feel that too.

Scene 2 - Next to the house; There are two humans (boy and girl), after 2 seconds they disappear; Snow Man is stage left and Dog is reappears stage right as the last scene
Snow Man: Who are these two? Do you know them?
Dog: Of course I know them.
Snow Man: Are they the same beings as you and I?
Dog: Well, they belong to the same master.
Snow Man: Oh I didn’t know that.
Dog: Certainly people who were only born yesterday know very little. I know everyone here in the house, and I know there was once a time when I did not lie out here in the cold, fastened to a chain.
Snow Man: No, the cold is delightful!
Dog: Look, let me tell you my experiences in the house.
Snow Man: I would like to hear!
Dog: I had my own cushion, and there was a stove—it is the finest thing in the world at this season of the year. I used to go under the stove, and lie down quite beneath it. Ah, I still dream of that stove.
Snow Man: Does a stove look beautiful? Is it like me?
Dog: It is just the reverse of you. It’s as black as a crow, and has a long neck and a brass knob; it eats firewood. You can see it through the window, from where you stand.
(Snow Man moves 50 steps to the right)
Snow Man (thinking): Well this must be a female stove!
Snow Man: How could you give up such a comfortable place?
Dog: I was kicked out when I bit one of the boys.
Snow Man: What a strange crackling feeling within me!

Scene 3: In front of window with a gleaming stove inside; Snow Man stage left and Dog is stage right

Viewer Interaction:
Snow Man: Should I go into the house and approach the stove? (answer yes/no)
Decision: Ask the user a question using the ask block, wait for positive or negative.

Positive Negative
Positive Outcome (“no” answer)
Snow Man: I think it’s safer to stay out here.
Dog: Yes, you should listen to the wise.
Snow Man (sighs): I hate to break up with her!
Dog: HER? You think the stove is female?
Snow Man: Oops, so it’s a he?
Dog: It’s an “it” you fool! Now stop looking at it or you’ll find yourself walking in the house.
Snow Man: You’re right. The fires will kill me because I am made up of the cold.
Dog: Learn some science boy. As spring comes along you will disappear anyways so good luck!
Snow Man: Oh no! It’s mid-February - almost warm season… nooooooo.
Dog (sneezes): Well done Einstein. I got to go so good luck on your existence!
Snow Man: Hmmm, I got an idea!
Dog: I’m curious what you got in your mind.
Snow Man: You know how bears hibernate during the winter and come out again when spring arrives?
Dog: For a smart dog like me, no duh I know.
Snow Man: Okay so you ready to hear this amazing plan of all time?
Dog: I’m waiting; not that you have great ideas anyway.
Snow Man: I can hibernate under the snow until the next winter comes again!
(Dog laughs really hard)
Dog: Tell me this is a joke!
Snow Man: No I am serious, isn’t this the best plan ever?
Dog: Do you have any common sense? All the snow will eventually melt due to the hot temperature and you’ll melt with the snow.
Snow Man: True but how about I go hide in the refrigerator?
Dog: The humans never use it anymore but still that’s not great idea.
Snow Man: Do you have any better ideas?
Dog: Well there aren’t any options but wait until the boy builds you up again when it snows next year.
Snow Man: NO! I will not die! I shall hide in the fridge where I will be safe from the heat!
Dog: Your funeral.
(Dog glides to the upper right corner while becoming foggier)

Scene 4 (positive) - In front of refrigerator
Snow Man: Okay I’m ready… 3.. 2.. 1….
(Snow Man gets smaller in size, jumps inside)

Scene 5 (positive) - Fridge with open door
~then back to scene 4 (positive)
Scene 6 (positive) - The next winter arrives…
Snow Man: Hiya Dog! I survived!
Dog: WUT?????????????????????????

Negative Outcome (“yes” answer)
Snow Man: I must go in and lean against her, the stove is too beautiful!
Dog: Whatever you say, but you will melt!
Snow Man: I can endure it no longer…

Scene 4 (negative) - Next to stove
Dog (thinking): Whoa, what a cool snowman. Teleporting skills!!!
Snow Man: Thanks! Umm, was that a compliment? Or not?
Dog: Omg did you just read my mind?
Snow Man: Naw, I just read your expression. It was pretty wild!
Dog: Haha, so you still want the stove to be your “bride”?
Snow Man: I really love her! She’s just so… shiny!
Dog: Okay no more, I see where you’re going there, I know.
(Snow Man glides to the stove)
Snow Man (thinking): Does it talk?
Snow Man: I love you so much, girl!
Dog (thinking): I feel so awkward right now.
Snow Man: I will sit with you day and night, love I can keep you company.
Dog: Bye Snowman. Um, I better get going!
(Dog gets smaller and eventually disappears)

Scene 5 (negative) - Background is same but it is dark in the night
Snow Man: I feel a little sick, wait oh no I am half the size I was before.
(Dog reappears with different costume)
Dog: What?
Snow Man: I feel really nauseous! And I am growing smaller…
Dog: You need to get out of there right now!
Snow Man: I’m sorry but my dear stove needs me and I need her too.
Dog: Okay, you shall await your death.
(A thermometer appears, showing the temperature increasing)
Snow Man: Help! (decreases in size) Noooo.
(Changes costume)
Dog: It is horrifying to see a snowman die, but the stove took her advantage on you with her beauty of fire - your worst enemy.
Snow Man: Help please.
(Snow Man melts into a puddle of water)
Dog: These youngsters never listen. And they pay the price in the end.
(Dog walks 20 steps to the right)
Dog: From this day on, no snowman shall ever enter a human house or fall in love with a stove.

Storyboards: See pictures above

C: PLAN
Project Plan
Resources
Tools:
Computer
Scratch Program
Internet
Materials:
Sprites
Backgrounds
Location: At school, mostly at home (in the living room to be specific)
Labor: I will do all the work myself. However, credits to...
Moon Sprite from http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Full_Moon_view_from_Munich_German...
Stove Picture from Altrol Company Site
Recorded Voice from James X.
Thermometers edited by Linda T.

Money: $0 (not using any money)
Time: About 4 hours
Action Plan
1) Do the script on Scratch. (Sunday afternoon for 3 hours)
2) Test it twice. (Sunday afternoon for 15 minutes)
3) If the project does not meet requirements or does not flow/work well, go back to Step 1 to edit the script. (Sunday afternoon for 1 hour)
4) When completely sure that the animation is finished properly upload to the Scratch website, naming it “ Unit 3 Project: (Your Title)”. (5 minutes)
5) Write a final developer’s log. (Sunday afternoon 40 minutes)

D: CREATE
Developer’s Journal
May 4th, 2014 at 2:30 pm in the living room in front of my computer.
Time Spent: 5 hours
Work Accomplished: I finished my animation properly meeting all the design specification requirements. Compared to last time (Unit 2 Project), I had an easier time with the timing with the conversations between the Sprites. It was actually more fun because I took my time being creative and using other resources other than Scratch in my project for backgrounds and Sprites - I made sure not to use copyrighted material and gave credit to the images/people I used. I actually exceeded required time (3 minutes; one minute each part), and ended up making the animation about 4-5 minutes.
Difficulties: The major difficulty I had when creating the Scratch animation was that the script seemed more complicated with the ethical decision because there were the positive and negative outcomes and I used different backgrounds for each. I had to add up the numerous amount of seconds for each part of the story for the timing of background change, and one second off would alter the scene completely.
Changes: I decided that adding some sounds/sound effects would make the animation seem more interesting so I recorded a few people and used the “play sound until done” block. Another thing I changed were the backgrounds since extra searching made me find even better ones. Some of the Sprites were also edited as well.

E: Evaluate
I’m most proud of how my story really matched the actual fairy tale by using characters from other sources other than Scratch. Some of the backgrounds were drawn, and I am actually liking how I can draw on the computer. I am also proud of how my script followed all the design specification requirements - it had a negative or positive ending based on the answer of yes or no. Every part was more than a minute long so the whole animation I put together was about four to five minutes. Going over the time requirement made me feel really good because I didn’t do the animation just enough to satisfy the requirements. Instead, I had fun completing the whole project and this caused me to do more than necessary. Some of the weaknesses of this project was that the dialogue seemed a bit too long. I think if I shortened some of the words a little bit the reader (or the person watching it) wouldn’t feel like he/she is reading a long paragraph which can be boring. Also, I couldn’t control the dialogue bubbles in the animation - which direction they were going. Occasionally, the Dog Sprite would have the dialogue bubble coming out of its tail instead of out of its mouth. The bubble coming out of its tail would cover the Snow Man Sprite’s face so I didn’t know how to control that; I really wanted the characters to be closer together to make it seem like a true dialogue and “interaction.”