All news in Gaming and New Media

"Psyche and Eros", based on "Cupid and Psyche" by Lucius Apuleius

by: 19adayr
Psyche and Eros, Title Slide
Psyche and Eros, Act 1 Storyboard
Psyche and Eros, Act 2A Storyboard
Psyche and Eros, Act 2B Storyboard

A: Investigate: Cupid and Psyche
a) Cupid and Psyche, by Lucius Apuleius
b) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cupid_and_Psyche
c) The main character is Psyche.
d) The ethical decision of the story is to discover who the hidden man is.
e) Psyche decided to find out why the hidden man is, who turns out to be Cupid (or Eros), and the god left Psyche in a cave. Morose, the girl begged the god’s mother, Aphrodite (or Venus) for favors in order for recompense, and that she could see her lover again. She eventually succeeds, and reunites with Cupid, in which both become immortal and are willing to spend their eternities in love.
f) Psyche decided not to find out who the man behind the curtain was. She spent years living with the stranger, and was very happy, even without knowing who the hidden man was. Eventually, Psyche met a handsome prince whom she wanted to marry with. She then abandoned her husband to marry the prince, but the hidden man was Cupid. He grew so angry that he used his powerful bow to claim the life of the woman he once trusted and loved.
g) The moral of the story is that “great risks can lead to great opportunities”.

B: Design
Story Script
Characters: Psyche, Eros, Venus (conditional)

[Scene: There is a castle atop a mountain. The day is sunny, without a cloud in the sky. The scene then switches to Psyche’s bedroom. It is pink, overlooks the sky, and has a large bed.]
[Enter, Psyche to left. Glide to bed.]
Psyche: What a perfect day! Finally, I get to see my betrothed! I hope he isn’t late to the feast.
[Enter, Eros, to the right. Move until 40 steps towards Psyche. Use costume “hide”, and appear with a puff.]
Eros: Hello, my maiden. Are you truly satisfied with your husband-to-be?
[Psyche, switch costume to “alarmed”]
Psyche: Of course! I have dreamed of him for years, and you insist that I do not love him?!
Eros: I have a much better offer. Travel with me to my hidden palace in the sky. I will protect you and love you to the best of my abilities.
Psyche: Let me see if what you offer is true.
[Scene changes to noon sky; Eros files with Psyche to his kingdom. Scene then changes to Eros’ castle, with no windows, but well lit and filled with amazing treasures.]
Psyche: Amazing! This place is filled with more gold than any kingdom in mankind!
Eros: All for you, my love. Here, come to my room. There, we shall be content for the rest of our lives.
[Costume showing change in time appears, Psyche ages.]
Psyche: My love, why have you hidden after all these years? Why do you not reveal your face?
Eros: I’m sorry; if you saw my face, you would be so frightened that you would run away. Now please; I must go to bed.
[Psyche waits until Eros goes to sleep. Scene then changes to Eros’ room, and stands by his bed, which is coated in a blanket.]
Psyche: [asks viewer the question] Shall I uncover my lover’s face?

[Two sprites appear, one listing “take it off” (positive) and the other “leave it on”(negative).
Positive Negative
[Psyche takes off the blanket, revealing a beautiful, boyish face with no imperfections. Startled, Psyche moves away from the bed, and Eros awakens.]
Eros: No! You have seen my true form. You now know how who I am. I am sorry.
[Eros flies away from Psyche and into the sky.]
Psyche: On, no! I never thought it was Eros behind the cloth! [weeps] Come back, my love!
[Venus appears in the doorway, frowning].
Venus: Why have you mistreated my son! He commanded for you not to look at his face! Have you seen what you have done to him?!
Psyche: I am so sorry. I never knew that he was a god! Please, I’ll do anything to see him again.
Venus: Very well, my mortal. I have many assignments for you…
[Scene changes; it lists all of the deeds Psyche did to see Eros again. Scene then changes back into Eors’ room, Psyche bruised and battered.]
Psyche: There! I have done what you have asked of me! Now will you let me see your son?
Venus: Very well; I will fulfill my promise. Eros, come out, my sweet!
[Eros, enter stage right, glide to Psyche]
Eros: My love!
Psyche: Eros! I am so sorry that I looked at you! Please forgive me.
Eros: No worries. Mother has given permission for me to give you eternal youth, so that we can love each other for eternity. Let us fly to Olympus, where we can truly rest together.
[Psyche and Eros fly out of the window into the night sky, roll credits]
[Psyche leaves on the blankets, and moves back to her room. Scene changes to next morning.]
Eros: Hello, my love. Did you rest well?
Psyche: Sure, plenty well. What do we have for breakfast?
Eros: Sorry, we have run out of bread. I’ll be back soon to get it.
[Eros flies out of palace, and brave knight enters to the left]
Knight: My maiden! Are you okay? I have finally come to rescue you!
Psyche: I’m not in any danger. How did you get here?
Knight: I climbed the stairs. I thought that you were being held captive by a dragon, or a witch, or a…
Psyche: Well, I am tired of staying here. Do you happen to come from the Poultry Palace?
Knight: Do you mean the city of the lost princess? Yes, I do.
Psyche: Could you take me there?
Knight: Sure. I have a knight waiting for me outside.
[Eros arrives, carrying bread.]
Eros: Psyche! Explain yourself! Who is this intruder?
Psyche: This is a knight; he has come to take me home.
Eros: I don’t believe so. [holds knight and Psyche: I’m sorry, Psyche.
[throws them out of the window]
Eros: We could have been lovers for eternity.
[Scene changes into black, shows the words: ”Psyche and the knight fell to the ground, mortally injured. They attempted to crawl to their kingdom, but soon died from their injuries.” Roll credits.]
Credits: Moral- Sometimes it is best to take risks.

Storyboards: See the top for the storyboards.

C: Design/ Phase/ Project Plan
Resources
Tools: I will use Google Documents, Scratch, and my chosen story.
Materials: I will use sprites, sounds, and backgrounds.
Labor: I plan to work alone.
Cost: The project will not cost any money.
Setting: I will work on the project at home, and possibly at school.
Time: I will work on the project on Friday, 5/2, and on the weekend, possibly before Friday.

Action Plan
When beginning the project, I plan to first look at the storyboard so I know the basis of the setting and where the sprites have to be placed, and then look at the script to find the lines of each sprite, with necessary adjusting. I will then find appropriate sprites for my animation, and if not, just make my own. I will have to remember to use the “answer” block for interaction, and to use appropriate settings as well. After the project is complete, I will then test it to make sure it works properly, and then upload it to youthvoices.com using the procedure for it.

D: Developer’s Journal

Developer’s Journal Entry #1
4/30/14 1:20 p.m., 40 minutes. Room 402, BSGE
Today, I gathered all of the necessary pictures for the background and sprites of the animation, and began the scripts that change the backgrounds, as well as the scripts for the dialogue.
One of the problems I first realized was that I did not have the necessary skills to draw the necessary pictures. I also had some problems when attempting to copy and paste the script, as those attempts failed and produced a beeping sound.
To solve those problems, I used images from storyboardthat.com to create the backgrounds and sprites, and just wrote out the dialogue instead of having to keep trying to copy and paste it.
I didn’t have any changes, other than using pictures from storyboard.com for the sprites and the backgrounds.

Developer’s Journal Entry #2
5/5/14 9:14 p.m., 180 minutes. My House
Today, I completed the animation for Act 1, and finished Act 2A and 2B immediately afterwards. I had to use storyboardthat.com for most of the pictures and storyboards beacause of their versatility.
The only one problem I had with the animation was timing. As I checked to see if the animation was properly working, I noticed that some of the dialogue was off-timed.
I solved the timing problem by looking back to the scripts and editing them so that the dialogue was evenly timed.
I changed some of the dialogue in Act 1 as Psych first met Eros, as I then believed it to be too “corny”. I also changed some of the backgrounds (Venus never came from a door, she materialized, and I think the bed was supposed to be on the right, not the left). A major change was when I decided to use pictures from storyboardthat.com. I originally thought that I could just draw the pictures for the backgrounds and sprites, but then realized how difficult it was and decided against it, using the websites pictures most of the time and creating my own occasionally. .Other than that, I did not change the original pictures from the storyboard or the website.

E: Evaluate

My animation lasts for about three minutes (about one minute for each act) and is interactive in which it uses the Ask block from the Sensing menu. It has two branches with different endings depending on whether the main character decides to reveal who the other one looks like, and both tell of outcomes relating to ethical decisions (make sure to not love a jealous man, or that some risks have great consequences). There are credits that give recognition to the picture source (storyboardthat.com), and should be appropriate for anyone younger than thirteen years old. The storyboard was finished at around 12:00 a.m. on Tuesday, May 6th, but was further edited upon due to errors realized by the creator as he woke on that day.
There were some changes in the script, particularly from Act 1 (from “I’m sorry; if you saw my face, you would run away” to a different line [I forgot what it was]), and that some actions were not mentioned (in the script, Psyche never went to her room after refusing to find out who Eros was, where in the animation, she did).
There were very little alterations with the storyboard and the animation, except for some scenes that fit with the altered script (when Psyche went to her room, a new scene was added to show her doing it).

"The King and the Nightingale" based on "The Nightingale" by Hans Christian Anderson

by: 19chene
"The King and the Nightingale" Title Page
"The King and the Nightingale" Storyboard Act 1
"The King and the Nightingale" Storyboard Act 2 Part A
"The King and the Nightingale" Storyboard Act 2 Part B

A: Investigation-Choose My Story
a) The Nightingale by Hans Christian Anderson
b) http://www.aesopfables.com/cgi/aesop1.cgi?hca&a61
c) the king and the nightingale
d) the king decides to forgot about the original nightingale
e) the king banishes the nightingale because it is so plain and loves the artificial one more
f) the loves the nightingale more because of her beautiful music
g) do not be concerned with looks because what is on the inside is what counts

B:Design
Story Script
King: My castle is beautiful and the garden is magnificent. It is the most beautiful in the world.
Servant: Why yes your majesty. The emperor of japan has sent you a book of his accounts.
King: Let me read it then. (He reads the book)
King: What how can the best part of my castle be something that I have never heard about before? Please find this nightingale for me to see.
Servant: I have never seen it before but I will do my best to follow your request. (Walks around the castle and asks people if they know the nightingale)
Maid: Yes I see her each evening I will ask her to see come.
Nightingale: (sings to the King)
King: You are very plain but you have the voice of an angel. How can I ever repay you for such a gift?
Nightingale: There is no need the tears from your eyes are the greatest gift I can get
Servant: the emperor of japan has sent you this (lifts up diamond and ruby encrusted nightingale that sings almost as good as the real one.)
King: It is amazing. Now we do not need the nightingale anymore.
Servant: My king surely you are overreacting

Interactive Decision
If you want the king to banish the real nightingale for the artificial one press the up arrow
If you want the king to love them both equally press the down arrow

Positive Decision Negative Decision
King: Yes you are right that would be very harsh. Besides this artificial nightingale is not real. Please ask the nightingale to come to my castle.
(Servant finds her and brings her back)
King: I am very sorry about forgetting you. Would you ever forgive me?
Nightingale: I suppose I could.
King: I will build a nest for you in the castle and you may live here forever
Nightingale: No you already repaid me remember? The beautiful tears that I saw the first time I sang to you.
King: Yes, I remember but I will still build a nest for you if you ever need it.
Nightingale: You truly are a kind person at heart.
The End
King: Are you challenging me servant?
Servant: Why no sir. I will do as you say right away.
(After a few more plays, the artificial nightingale breaks and the king grows very sick)
King: Please help me, I am dying.
(just then, nightingale comes through the window)
Nightingale: You banished me and I will never help you even though my singing can make the demons harming your soul go away. This is your punishment.
King: No, I am very sorry. Please….
(The king dies)
Nightingale: If only he didn’t banish me away he would have lived.
(People are crying)
The End

Storyboards: See pictures above

C:Project Plan
Resources
Tools: I will need...
Computer
scratch program
Internet access

Materials:
Sprites
Backgrounds
Location
I will mostly work in my room but started some in class.
Labor
I will do all of the work creating the project but some people I give credits to
nightingale picture http://ztona.org/nightingale/8b1238e9f128f2e5ef6f59be123131121/
ruby encrusted bird http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/49/Painted_Bunting_by_Da...
Butler/ servant
http://www.hasslefreeclipart.com/cart_people/images/butler.gif
Maid
http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=63239253
Money
I will not spend any money on this project.
Time
I will spend about 4 hours on this project.
Plan of Action
1. Gather all of the materials and things that you may need to create the animation such as storyboard, script, etc.
2. Start to use the blocks and the things that I learned in class to create the animation
3. Test it twice
4. Upload it on to the Scratch website

D: Create
Developer's Journal
Session 1: 5/4/14, 3 hours in my room
Time Spent- I spent about 3 hours finishing the animation
Work Accomplished-I finished the whole script on Scratch.
Difficulties- I had a little trouble with the timing so I watched the animation a lot of times.
Changes- I had less people and less scenes because the more people there were the harder it was to time.

E: Evaluate
I think I followed the design specifications. For example, my animation was two minutes long. One minute was for the introduction another minute was for the interactive decision. Also, the viewer can affect the outcome because they can chose the important decision. In my animation, when the reader makes the decision the story will have two different endings. If the viewer chooses to be morally bad then the king dies but if the viewer chooses the positive one then the king makes a new friend that will always be there for him. It teaches the lesson that when you get something new you shouldn’t forget about what you already have and you should be grateful.
In addition, I also followed the constraints for the unit 3 project. For instance, I gave credit to the pictures and the story I used. The credits are not included in the required length and appears at the end of the animation. Also, the story is very appropriate for viewers of any age. Finally, I completed the animation in the required time constraint.

Cinderella is Sweg (Based off Cinderella by Brothers Grimm INTERACTIVE)

Cinderella Cover

Script

Act I (Beginning)

Cinderella: La de da! Mopping the floor!

Step-Sister 1: Oh my god your so disgusting!

Step-Sister 2: Yea! I know right! Ugh… I’m gonna post this on Fairygram!

Step-Sister 3: Ugh! I can’t even look into her face without my eyes stinging from her farts!

Cinderella: Well, this is what I must do! That is what that other fashionista tells me to do

Step-Sister 2: Ugh! So many dislikes on the photo on Fairygram. Your so ugly! You will never get a boyfriend!

[Sisters walk away]

Cinderella: This is what always happens to me, everyday. My snotty little step-sisters always harass me and hurt me. I never get any freedom, even around the house, except for the place I am cleaning now. And now I just got har-

Fairy God-Mother: OH MY! What a dirty little girl! C'mon! Lemme fix you up my dear!

Cinderella: Who the hell are you?!

Fairy God-Mother: Well who the hell do you think I am? And don't use dirty language like that!

Cinderella: But you just used... Never mind. So who are you again?

Fairy God-Mother: I'm your Fairy God-Mother.

Cinderella: Well then, um... What do you do, Fairy God-Mother? And why are you so small?

Fairy God-Mother: I can grant you wishes, but only until midnight, and I'm called a fairy for a reason.

Cinderella: Good point... but anything?

Fairy God-Mother: Anything.

Cinderella: Anything?!

Fairy God-Mother: ANYTHING!

Cinderella: Anything???

Fairy God-Mother: YES ANYTHING FOR GOD MOTHER's SAKE!

Cinderella: Oh cool!

Cinderella: Well, there is a beautiful ball. Thats where my stupid step-sisters are going, and there is a really handsome prince, so like... Can you get me a really dress nice so I can look good in front of the prince?

Fairy God-Mother: Sure why not?

Cinderella: And a carriage...

Fairy God-Mother: Sure why not?

[Cinderella goes to the ball and the crowd starts chattering in awe]

Prince: Why hello you lovely princess! Would you like to have a dance with me?

Cinderella: Yes! I would love a dance!

Prince: Then lets go!

[They dance in the middle of the ball until 11:59]

Cinderella: Oh my god---

Cinderella: Its 11:59! In one minute, I will get all my rags back and lose my dress or run away now?! What should I do?!

[Viewer chooses path of choice]

Act II (Bad Ending)

Cinderella: Oh god! Its almost 12:00!

Prince: So what?

Cinderella: Gotta go!

Prince: W-Wait!

[Cinderella drops her show while running down the stairs. The Prince picks up the shoe.]

Prince: You dropped your shoe!

[The Price goes around town, trying to fit the shoe on people’s feet and see who it fits on. He finds a girl whose foot it fits and takes her to the palace and asks to marry her. Of course, this is the wrong girl.]

Prince: So its been you all this time. you dance so lovely and I’d love to do it again. But, this time, forever. So, will you marry me?

Random Girl: Yes! Yes I will marry you!

[Out her window, Cinderella sees the wedding happening, and totally misses out, and she finds out that the person he marries is her step-sister]

Cinderella: Oh my! Is that… the prince… at a wedding?! Who is that woman? Is that… MY STEP-SISTER?!

Fairy God-Mother: Oh yes it is. See that was your fault! Why the heck would you leave the ball when you clearly had the chance to kiss him?

Cinderella: It was almost 12:00! I couldn’t let him see myself in my rags!

Fairy God Mother: Well now he married your sister

[Cinderella Cries]

Act III (Good Ending)

[There is a magical puff of fairy dust, exchanging Cinderella's dress for rags]

Prince: What happened?

Cinderella: See! Now you don't love me!

[Cinderella cries]

Prince: No! Who said that? Wearing rags compared to a dress doesn't mean anything! Its whats inside your heart that matters.

Crowd: Aww!

Cinderella: Oh my god! That was... beautiful!

Prince: Not as much as you!

Crowd: Ha! Pick-up line #428!

Cinderella: Oh haha!

Prince: So, will you marry me my dear?

Cinderella: Yes! Yes I will marry you!

[The prince and Cinderella kiss]

THE END

Project Plan:

Resources Used:
-Tools: Computer, Scratch
-Materials: Sprites, Background.
-Labor: I will make the script myself.
-Location: Home and School
-Time: Anywhere before its due (Whenever I have time)
-Money Used: None

Plan of Action: I finish the script at home and upload it to the Scratch website.
Schedule: Finish the animation
Sequence of steps:
1. Finish Script at home
2. Upload the animation to the Scratch website.

Designer Log #1, 5-5-14, 6:30, Home

-Time: 6:30 to 9:00 (2 hours and 30 min)
-Summary of what I did: I did what I could to the script to make it good (add characters, backgrounds, etc.)
-Problems: I procrastinated.
-Solutions: I need to be less lazy.
-Changes: I should not do this last minute.

Developer’s Log #2, 5-6-14, 11:10, School

-Time: 11:10 to 11:30
-Summary of what I did: I finished the animation and storyboard.
-Problems: Nothing.
-Solutions: Nothing.
-Changes: Tech is more important than sleep.

"The Wild Swans" by Hans Christian Andersen

A: Investigate- Choose my story

a) The Wild Swans, by Hans Christian Andersen.
b) Link to full story: http://hca.gilead.org.il/wild_swa.html
c) The main character is Arianna (or Eliza in the original story).
d) The moral/ethical decision Arianna makes is whether or not to save her brothers from the curse.
e) In the original story, Arianna chooses to help her brothers and as a result, she goes to the kingdom and makes the shirts. There, she catches the eye of the prince, who wants to marry her. Many of the prince’s advisers believe that Arianna is a bad witch because she is silent and continues going to get the nettles. However, on the day of the wedding, and the day that the curse must be broken, Arianna breaks the curse and is allowed to speak again. Overall, the main consequence is that Arianna’s brothers became men.
f) One alternate ending would be that Arianna chose to not save her brothers, and so her brothers stayed swans. Being birds, they would have to migrate and break contact with their sister. So, the siblings are divided once more, leaving Arianna heartbroken.

B: Design

Characters:
Arianna: Main character
Witch: Secondary character
Brothers: Secondary characters

Story Script
(Scene opens up to the inside the castle, where the family is standing.)
Narrator: In a kingdom, long ago, there lived a king and his beautiful wife. They had 12 children, 11 of them princes and the other a princess, whose name was Arianna. However, the queen died and the king wed another wife soon after.
(Queen is hidden, and the Stepmother replaces her spot in the line.)
Narrator: She acted kind to her husband, but her true colors were shown when she dealt with her step-children. One day, she decided to get rid of them. She attempted to make Arianna ugly, but only failed because Arianna was so beautiful and good that the curses did not work. So, she sent Arianna to live with paupers and spend the rest of her days as a peasant. Yet, Arianna was requested to visit the castle by her father’s orders. He did not recognize her and sent her away once more. As for the princes, she turned them into swans. The curse made them birds turing day, but human only during night.
(Stage change- another room in the castle. It shows the Stepmother and the twelve princes, who are already swans and are flying away.)
(Stage changes once more into enchanting forest. It is almost dark outside, with the remains of sunset)
Arianna: I can’t believe that he didn’t recognize me! His own daughter! (She bursts into tears.)
(The scene dims. Then, suddenly, the 11 swans land and turn back into princes.)
Arianna: Huh? Brothers?!
Brother 1: Arianna, it’s you?
Narrator: The brothers explain the curse to Arianna, who enlists the help of an old woman who knows witchcraft.
Brother 2: So, the only way to break the curse is to make us shirts of stinging nettles? By hand?
Witch: You will have to use your feet, Arianna. It will hurt very badly. You’ll have marks for the rest of your life. Not only that, but you will not be able to speak until the curse is broken. Only you can break the curse, or they will die soon. And there’ll be a time limit. You have 5 days. Will you help your brothers?

Viewer Interaction:
Arianna: [to the viewer] What should I do? Type “A” if I should save my brothers, or type “B” if I should not take part in breaking the curse.

A: Saving the brothers B: Refusing to break curse
Arianna: I’ll help them.
Witch: Very well. I know a good kingdom flourishing with nettles. I’ll take you and your brothers there.
Arianna: Okay, we’ll depart at dawn.
(Scene change, kingdom)
Witch: There are many nettles in the graveyard, but it is near the castle.
Arianna: Very well. What’s the big deal?
Witch: The royal majesties will think you are...insane. As will the people.
Arianna: Eh, it’s okay.
(time skip-scene change- inside the castle)
King: Son, it’s about time that you should get married.
Prince: I just can’t find anyone worthy of my affections!
King: Oh, what’s that? A girl is in the backyard. A quite lovely one at that. Why don’t you invite her in?
Prince: I see. She’s beautiful!
(time skip)
Prince: (Stares lovingly at Arianna.) I don’t understand. Why won’t you speak?
Arianna: (thinking) I have to break the curse before tomorrow morning! I have one more to go!
(Time skip)
Duke: I think she’s a witch, sire. She doesn’t even speak and has this strange fixation with the graveyard!
Prince: No-no, she can’t be.
Duke: She’ll have until tomorrow, the wedding, to prove.
(Time skip- Wedding)
Arianna: (thinking) I love him, that much is true, but today is the due date! The last shirt is not even complete.
(The swans fly in and Arianna throws the shirts in the air and the swans transform back except for one, who still has a wing)
Duke: Alas, she is not a witch at all, but kind and sacrificing!
Narrator:The prince and Arianna marry and keep in contact with her brothers. The end.
Arianna: I’ve decided that I don’t want to take part in this. I’m deeply sorry.
Witch: Are you sure?
Arianna: I’m afraid so. Being birds cannot be that bad, right?
Witch: Hmph.
Arianna: Listen, I’ll travel to the next kingdom with you guys, [referring to brothers]. We will keep in touch, we can even see each other every night!
Brother 4: But, why don’t you want to save us?
Arianna: I love you, but I don’t want to take part in something cast by our stepmother. She ruined our lives, and at least I know where you are.
Brother 10: Fine, we understand…
(Time skip- In another kingdom, inside a cottage)
Narrator: Years have passed since the siblings met each other once again. Arianna kept in contact with her brothers through the witch, who knew of their whereabouts. Arianna married a poor shoemaker and they lived in a cottage.
(a knocking sound is heard)
Arianna: Who is it?
Witch: It’s...me.
Arianna: Ah, hello my dear witch! Any news of my brothers? How is migration going?
Witch: Er, I actually have some bad news to bring.
Arianna: What happened?
Witch: We...didn’t know that eventually the curse would...kill your brothers.
Arianna: THEY’RE DEAD?!
Witch: ...Yes. Their feathers started falling out and they became very weak. I’m sorry, Arianna.
Arianna: (cries) If only I had chosen to help! And, now, look! They’re dead! Frozen in the snow someplace all because of me!
(Screen fades to black and rolls credits)

C: Project Plan

Resources:

Materials: Sprites (already created by Scratch) and backgrounds (credited above).
Tools: Scratch 1.4 and the Internet.

Location: I will be doing most of my project at home, but I will attempt to do some of it during 8th period.

Labor: Backgrounds:
1. “Inside the Castle.” on graphicriver.net
2. “Cartoon Castle WIP 3” by ZeroPointPolygon on deviantART
4. “the road through the forest” on winwallpapers.net
5. From “Csastle Games” on dressupgal.com
6. “Canterlot Wedding Altar” by 90Siga on deviantART
7. “Fluttershy’s Cottage” by BitterPlagueRat on deviantART
I created 3 myself.

Money: This project will cost no money.

Time: I estimate this project to take around 5 hours. I will do perhaps 2 of these hours in school and the rest at home.

Action Plan:
1. Complete project and use the broadcast block to trigger messages. Name each broadcast by the dialogue needed.

2. Play the project both times, with ending 2A and 2B.

3. If some dialogue is too long, shorten it and split it into two. The ideal is for each broadcast to be around a sentence long.

4. Once fixes are made, play the project again. This time, using a timer.

5. If one of the parts is shorter than a minute long, increase the time by adding a few seconds between the “When ___ is broadcasted” block and the action. Perhaps sound can be added.

6. When finished, upload to the Scratch website.

D: Developer’s Journal

Session 1
Date: May 5
Time: 8:30
Location: Home, my living room
Time Spent: About five hours, 3:30-8:30
Work Accomplished: I completed my whole Scratch project:; including the credits.
Difficulties: There were several difficulties in creating this animation, but unlike last time, timing was not one of my major concerns. This was because I used the “broadcast” block, not the “wait” block this time. One of the difficulties was the intro,which did not use the broadcast block. I had to calculate the exact number of seconds to wait and keep replaying my animation. One difficult part was also landing the swans and finding good locations. I used separate sprites for the swans and princes, which proved difficult since they are supposed to be one. Finally, the last difficulty I had was narrating the story. I had a stuffy nose and I took awkward pauses here and there, which will prove difficult for the listener to understand.
Changes (to your design): The only major change I made was changing the number of brothers from 11 to 4. I thought that 11 men and swans would take too much time to animate. Another change would be that did not include the adviser, or duke, like I did in my script because I already had 16 characters in the animation, including the 4 men and 4 swans.

E: Evaluate
After rewatching my project and reviewing my script and storyboard, I see that all aspects of my project fit the design specifications; I have two alternate endings, one negative, one positive in my script, storyboard and project. There is no adult content or gore (such as blood) in any aspect of my project, and my project is clean of any profanity or bad language. Also, after timing each act of my Scratch Animation (1, 2A, 2B), I concluded that each part met the one minute minimum. I started timing right as I entered my answer and as soon as I clicked the green flag button, in order to avoid any error.
There are several differences between my script, storyboards, and animation. In my script and the original story I derived, Arianna has 11 brothers, unlike the four I included in my storyboards and animation. I chose to reduce the number of brothers because eleven brothers were too much to animate and I would get confused, considering they are all identical. I chose four because there are about four lines the brothers speak in total. Another major difference was the absence of the adviser, which was shown in the script and storyboards. I chose for the prince to repeat his lines because I had made separate sprites for the brothers and the swans already, and I already had around 15 sprites. Considering that most of the sprites only make a brief appearance anyways, I thought searching for a sprite for the advisor would take too long and have little reward. Another difference, only between the storyboard and animation this time, was that in the storyboard, I had shown Arianna throwing the shirts, but I had not in the animation. This was because of the same reason I did not include the adviser, it would be superfluous and the audience would already understand what Arianna is doing without seeing the shirts.

"The Winter To Come" based on "The Ant and the Grasshopper" by Aesop

by: 19atturs
"The Winter To Come" based on "The Ant and the Grasshopper" by Aesop, Act "1"
"The Winter To Come" based on "The Ant and the Grasshopper" by Aesop, Act "2A"
"The Winter To Come" based on "The Ant and the Grasshopper" by Aesop, Act "2B"

A. Investigate- My Fairy Tail choice
The Ant and the Grasshopper

a) The Ant and the Grasshopper by Aesop
b) http://www.bartleby.com/17/1/36.html
c) The grasshopper
d) When you/ (the grasshopper” should prepare food and supplies for winter or not.
e) The Grasshopper decides to ignore the ant and he thinks that he has all the food he needs so he doesn't have to get and store food for the winter.
f) Th grasshopper could have listened to the ant and survive with food during the winter and not starve and die.
g) The moral I will be teaching is that you should always plan ahead if you know, the following days will be unpleasant and “dangerous.”

B. Design

Story Script

Characters:
Puff: Main character
Homie: Secondary character

Scene 1:

[In a dimension far, far away, there was a grasshopper named Puff who was wandering through a field, enjoying the great summer day.]

[Puff enter stage right.]

Puff: Ah this is such a great day! [He chirps happily.]
Puff: The weather is fantastic and I feel AMAZING!!!
[Funny/ Suspenseful music plays]
Puff: Oh, what’s that? Is that a….. beatle or something?
[Puff started walking toward the “mysterious” insect.]
Puff: Oh hello there, are you an ant?
Homie: Why yes I am, and by the way my name is Homie.
Puff: Oh sorry, hello Homie!
Puff: What are you carrying and burying right now?
Homie: I am storing food, I am storing berries into my nest.
[Puff puts on a blank face]
Puff: Instead of doing all that hard work, come talk with me.
[Man says “ya”]
Homie: I can’t. I am preparing for the cold, bitter winter to come.
Homie: I advise you to do the same.
Puff: Why care about the winter. There is lots of food right now!
Homie: Ok then, I have to get back to my work so excuse me please.
[Homie looks down and goes back to his work/ disappears from view.]
[Puff walks away]
Puff: Now then, back to my walk. But should I prepare for winter? [Asks question to viewer.]

Viewer Interaction:
Puff: [Asks question to viewer.] Should I prepare for winter or should I forget about winter?
[Wait for answer]

Positive Choice Puff decides to start preparing for the winter even though it requires lots of effort and work to complete.

After months, winter “starts,” and it is bitter and cold with strong blizzards. Many plants wither away and food starts to diminish.

Puff is happy that he saved up for winter, and realizes his hard work is worth. Unlike other animals he won’t starve and “die” because Puff already prepared a long time ago.

Negative Choice Puff decides not to worry about the winter. He thinks that he already has lots of food so he will survive and endure the winter. He doesn’t think the extra work is necessary.

After months, winter “starts” and it is bitter and cold with strong blizzards. Many plants wither away and food
begins to diminish.

Puff realizes he should have prepared for winter and followed the ant’s advice. Puff now learns the you should always prepare for the days of necessity.

Positive choice script:

Puff: Uh, I have to start preparing.
[Funny/ Suspenseful music plays]
Puff: As much as I don't want to work hard, I don't want to die during the winter.
[Months later, viewer sees Puff in his nest, relaxing]

Puff: [Wolves howl] Woah, it is really cold outside. My bones are FREEZING!
Puff: Ahhhh…. I am so glad.
Puff: I am so glad that I decided to stock up on food. I guess I was wrong…
Puff: Whatever food there was in the Summer, did diminish and wither away.
Puff: My hard work didn’t go to waste. I am still alive and I will survive this horrible winter.
Puff: [Puff looks out his window] Woah!!! Those grasshoppers are almost fully blue. [Someone snaps their fingers repeatedly.]
Puff: They should have prepared for winter without being arrogant like me.
Puff: I feel really sorry for them… [Hip- Hop/ beatboxing music plays]

[Months later, winter ends and Puff goes to his front door]
Puff: Finally… winter finally ended!!!
Puff: But I can still feel my bones shivering even now...
Puff: Gosh I will definitely start preparing as soon as possible next time too!
Puff: I will also advise other insects too!
Puff: But first…. [Puff leaves his house.]
Puff: I need to go to the ants house and say thanks!
[Hip- Hop/ beatboxing music plays]
[Puff leaves his house]

Credits:
Creator of Original Story (The Ant and the Grasshopper): Aesop

Background Scenes: storyboardthat.com

Sounds:
Howling Gale: Audio Productions (YouTube)

THE END
THANKS FOR WATCHING!!!!

Negative Choice Script:

Puff: Pshhhhh!!!!
Puff: That ant is doing so much unnecessary work!!!
Puff: Like I told him, there is already enough food for me right now so Im fine.

[Months later, viewer sees Puff outside, freezing and starving during a blizzard]

Puff: Brrrrrrrrr!!! Itsssssss Freeeeeeeezing!
[Howling gale noise]
Puff: Ugh all my food, withered away.
Puff: What happened to all the grass, berries and veggies?
Puff: There was so much just a month ago.
Puff: I didn't know it would all just go away….
Puff: I should have prepared over summer.
Puff: I should have stored all my food.
Puff: I should have listened to the ant’s advice and followed it.
Puff: I wish I wasn’t arrogant and just listened to him.
Puff: The extra work would have paid off.
Puff: Now I realize…
Puff: You should always prepare for the days of necessity!
Puff: Also you should never be lazy and arrogant when given advice!!!
[Shivers away and disappears from stage right]
[Wolves Howl]

Credits:

Background Scenes: storyboardthat.com

Sounds:

THE END
THANKS FOR WATCHING!!!!

Storyboards: See Pictures above

4/29/14 Planning Phase:

Project Plan:

Resources:

Tools:Computer, Flash Drive, Internet Access, Scratch
Materials:Sprites: Grasshopper, Ant, 2 plants, 2 blueberries jointed, 3 snowy clouds, corn, cup of coffee, sun, hole/pit, Backgrounds: field, snowy hill, living room, front door area
Labor: All labor is done by me (animating and scripting and typing)
Location: At home, at school (tech class)
Time: Approximately 5-6 hours
Budget: No money is needed/ required

Plan of Action:

Sequence of Steps:

1. Think of an Ideas for an animation. And get approval. (Folktale based)
2. Create a script for the characters. 3 scenes.
3. Create storyboard to plan everything out on storyboardthat.com
4. Actually animate over the course of a few days or about 1 week.
5. Revise animations, check over.
6. Create credits and include it in animation
7. Upload to Scratch website.

Schedule:

6 hours total
At home (April 29 2014 - May 4 2014) animate, revise, edit, upload
AND
During several Technology Periods

Create Phase:

Developer’s Journal:

Session 1, 4/30/14, 1:00 PM- 2:10 PM, At School, Tech Room

70 minutes

First I had to check my scripts and see if it made sense/ was logical, and was completed. Next I checked over my storyboards and saw if they followed my script. Then I actually started animating my story. While animating I had to use the same lines from my script and same design and sounds included. At one point I had to record a sound from YouTube, so it took a while.

I had a few grammatical and word choice mistakes.

I had think of words that would replace the problematic word.

The mistakes made mt tweak my script slightly.

Session 2, 5/5/14, 5:00 PM- 8:00 PM, At Home, Bedroom

First I re-watched my animation so far and see if all the parts worked. Then I finished some incomplete parts of my animation (ending mostly). After finishing my animation, including the credits and the end, I had to re-watch my animation over and over and fix any mistakes I found like spelling, grammar, timing errors and etc. Then finally I had to upload my animation to the Scratch website.

I had no problems except for the lag I had while uploading my animation.

I could have restarted my router before uploading my animation and closing unnecessary programs.
No changes to design.

Evaluation:

My animation was called The Winter To Come and its was based on Aesop’s story The Ant and the Grasshopper. My animation followed my script exactly. The dialogue, the sounds, the credits and everything was the same. But my animation was a little different from my storyboards. My storyboard included different sprites/ more sprites, while my animation didn’t. To simply the amount of work I had to do, I got rid of some unnecessary sprites from my storyboard. I got rid of a “sun”, “cloud”, “wind” sprites, and etc. My animation exactly follows the design specifications, the constraints and requirements.. Overall my animation just has a reduced number of sprites and actions compared to my script and storyboards, otherwise, it follows everything.

"The Brave Tin Soldier" inspired by Hans Christian Andersen's "The Steadfast Tin Soldier"

A: Investigate: Chose my story

a) “The Brave Tin Soldier” by Hans Christian Andersen

b) http://hca.gilead.org.il/tin_sold.html

c) The main character is the Tin Soldier.

d) The ethical decision was whether to talk to the Paper Ballerina or the Black Goblin.

e) The Tin Soldier talked to the goblin, who told the soldier not to want something he can’t have. He did not take the Goblin’s advice and ended up so sorrowful that he got thrown in a stove and burned to death.

f) An alternate ending would be that the Tin Soldier instead talks to the Paper Ballerina, they fall in love and live happily ever after. The Tin soldier does not get burned into the stove.

g) The ethical lesson is to go for your dream so you can achieve it. Instead of staying quiet and not getting what you want, you should try your best and not listen to advice that may discourage you.

B: Design
Story Script
Introduction:
The title starts with a black screen and the words “The Brave Tin Soldier: An Interactive Animation” The scene then changes to a bedroom with toys scattered around it. Among the toys are tin soldiers, one with a missing leg, a black goblin, a castle and a paper ballerina.

Tin Soldier: (wobbles away from group of soldiers) I stand tall and proud, even on one leg. Nothing should be able to throw me off balance.
Black Goblin: (enters on stage right, towards the Soldier on stage left) Hello my dear friend.
Tin Soldier: Hush, Black Goblin. I’m admiring the Paper Ballerina.
Paper Ballerina: (twirls on one leg, gracefully, on stage right)
Tin Soldier: (wobbles towards Paper Ballerina from stage left to right) She’s so beautiful, and missing a leg just like me! She shall be my wife!
Black Goblin: I must speak to you tomorrow, poor Tin Soldier. (moves to stage left)

(all toys go in their proper containers for a few seconds, then come back out to signify a new day)

Black Goblin: (enters from middle stage, progresses towards Tin Soldier)
Paper Ballerina: (twirls on stage right, in front of the Soldier)
Tin Soldier: That’s my good friend, the Black Goblin. And there’s the grateful and beautiful Paper Ballerina. To whom should I speak, a friend in need or a potential life partner? Should I stick with something I’m comfortable with or take my chance and follow my dream?
Black Goblin AND Paper Ballerina: (a faint golden glow outlines them. The viewer must now click one or the other to activate different parts of the script)
Tin Soldier: Click one or the other to determine my fate.

Viewer Interaction
[Decision: click either the Black Goblin or the Paper Ballerina]
Positive Outcome (Clicks Paper Ballerina) Negative Outcome (Clicks Black Goblin)
Black Goblin AND Paper Ballerina: (glow fades)
Black Goblin: (exits on stage left)
Tin Soldier: (wobbles towards stage right and Paper Ballerina) Good day, my beautiful dancer.
Paper Ballerina: Hello, my brave tin soldier. Would you like to dance? (twirls around once)
Tin Soldier: Why, yes. (wobbles to Paper Ballerina and moves around with her)
Paper Ballerina: (dances with Tin Soldier) You are a skilled dancer, my brave soldier.
Tin Soldier: Thank you, I always try my best. In the tin box, all the soldiers are too tightly packed to dance, or even move.
Paper Ballerina: (stops dancing)
Tin Soldier: (stops dancing) What’s wrong?
Paper Ballerina: Tin, soldier, would you like to live with me in the Paper Castle?
Tin Soldier: Of course, I would love to! (wobbles towards Paper Castle, disappears in the door)
Paper Ballerina: (follows soldier to the Paper Castle, disappears in the door)
Stage: (background changes to the inside of the Paper Castle)
Tin Soldier: (appears from stage left) This is a beautiful place! I’ve never been inside a Paper Castle before!
Paper Ballerina: (appears from stage left) I lived here, by myself, for the longest time possible… Looking for a partner to be with.
Tin Soldier: I can be your partner, my beautiful dancer.
Tin Soldier AND Paper Ballerina: (dancing around the Paper Castle)

A few seconds pass, then the screen fades to black as the credits start rolling, but the Tin Soldier and the Ballerina remain on the screen to dance with the credits.

Tin Soldier: (moves towards Black Goblin) Hello, my dear friend.
Paper Ballerina: (exits on stage right)
Black Goblin: Soldier, don’t wish for what does not belong to you. (exits on stage right)
Tin Soldier: (thinks) Wow, that sounded very harsh. What does he mean?
Stage: (window near Tin Soldier opens)
Tin Soldier: (falls out of window) Ahh! Help!
Stage: (changes to background with a house and a river right next to it)
Tin Soldier: (falls out of house and into the river)
Fish: (eats Tin Soldier, then exits on stage left)
Stage: (changes to background of kitchen. There’s a fish on the counter and a woman next to it)
Tin Soldier: (comes out of fish) It was dark in there!
Woman: (picks up Tin Soldier and exits on stage right) Honey, I found your one-legged lost toy!
Stage: (changes to the first background, with the toys)
Woman: (enters from stage left)
Tin Soldier: (falls out of Woman’s hands and into fireplace) OH NO!
Paper Ballerina: Ah, there’s wind blowing me away! (falls into fireplace on the Tin Soldier’s left)

A few seconds pass…
Tin Soldier: (turns into ash, but in the shape of a heart)
Paper Ballerina: (turns to ash, but only her ballet slippers remain)

Stage fades to black as the credits start rolling.

Storyboards: See pictures

C: Design (Project) Plan
Resources
Computers in school and at home
Teachers and students who can help
Websites and programs to help create my avatar

Materials
Design specification
Sprites found on the internet
The Design Phase (Script)

Tools
Scratch Program
Computer(s)
USB Flash drive

Location
School building; Shantanu’s classroom
My house

Labor
Computerized work

Money: no money will be used in this project

Time
5-6 hours total to complete this project

Plan Of Action
Create a script for the project (and storyboard)
Start a scratch animation and follow the script and design specifications
Add credits to the animation
Review animation to make sure it runs smoothly and meets the criteria
Create a Developer’s journal for every time spent on the project
Submit Scratch Animation on/before due date

Developer’s Journal
Session #1
April 9th, 2014
2056 hours
Home Computer
Time spent: approximately 30 minutes

Work Accomplished:
Started script, finished first ethical decision

Difficulties:
It was a little confusing as to how to present the two ethical decisions, since they don’t actually happen one after the other

Session #2
April 11th, 2014
0855 hours
BSGE: Shantanu’s Classroom
Time spent: approximately 20 minutes total

Work Accomplished:
completely finished the intro of the script, revised
created second ethical decision (must revise both 1 and 2)
made a table to better record and present the ethical decisions

Difficulties:
I’m afraid I’ll have to revise or expand the positive decision because nothing much is happening and it’s probably too short

Changes:
The introduction was expanded to better include descriptions of the Black Goblin and Paper Ballerina in the Tin Soldier’s point of view

Session #3
May 5th, 2014
1800 hours
Home
Time spent: About 4-5 hours

Work Accomplished:
Created entire scratch project

Difficulties:
Creating two different decisions that should flow smoothly took me a lot of time

Changes:
The goblin is now red
The project does not follow the script exactly

Credits:
www.how.to.draw.funny.cartoons.com Mother
www.123rf.com Fireplace
www.toppapreviews.com Tin Soldier and Ballerina
www.cebadona.deviantart.com Red Goblin

This is the Scratch project. Go check it out!

E: Evaluate

My Scratch project follows all the criteria for this project and all the constraints as well. However, it does not exactly follow the script created for it. One example was the good ethical decision, when the viewer clicked the Paper Ballerina. In the script, the Tin Soldier and the Paper Ballerina dance together and then when the credits start, they remain on the screen. However, my scratch project did not make them dance and they didn’t appear at the end of the story. Overall, my project followed the gist of the script, what the characters had to say and do, but not precisely. I could have improved by making sure all the characters said and did what was written in the script. The project, however, follows the storyboard more closely. All the scenes were present and most of the dialogue was shown in both the project and the storyboard. Most importantly, the images created in the storyboard were the same as the ones in the project. Both of them show the same or similar backgrounds and the characters doing the same thing. One scene, which showed a Tin Soldier falling from a window and into the mouth of a fish, was present in both. Finally, my Scratch project follows the design specification and the storyboard more closely than in followed the script.

"Little Red Riding Hood" by Charles Perrault [Interactive Version]

by: 19qusemf

A: Investigate- Choose my story
1. Little Red Riding Hood by Charles Perrault
2. http://pitt.edu/~dash/perrault02.html
3. The main character is Little Red Riding Hood and the wolf.
4. The main decision whether or not Little Red Riding Hood talks to the wolf.
5. Little Red Riding Hood decides to talk to the wolf and tell him about where her grandmother’s house was and that she was headed there.
6. Little Red Riding decides not to talk to the wolf and goes to see her grandmother and returns safely. Eventually, a hunter comes along and kills the wolf.
7. Children should not talk to strangers who seem harmless because they are probably the worse ones.

B: Design
Script-
Characters:
1) Little Red Riding Hood/ L.R.R.H.
2) Mother
3) Wolf
4) Grandmother
Setting:
L.R.R.H.’s home, Forest, Grandma’s house
Scene 1:
Narrator: [Screen is dark] Once upon a time, there lived a little girl. She was adored by all the villagers and was nicknamed Little Red Riding Hood because she always wore one . One day her mother came to talk to her after a day of baking.
Mother: [switch’s background to L.R.R.H.’s home] Go, my dear, and see how your grandmother is doing. I hear she has been very ill. Take her a cake, and this little pot of butter.
L.R.R.H.: But I don’t wanna.
Mother: I am your mother, don’t you dare question my authority! I have been working all day just so that you have enough to eat! I work day and night so you can have clothes on your back and a roof over your head! So just take this basket [Hands Alkaline basket] and go to your grand mother!
L.R.R.R.H.: [annoyed sigh] Fine! Gosh! I can’t even spend a Friday night at home watching TV!
Mother: Oh grow up! You’re a teenager! Stop watching cartoons all the time and watch I don’t know. Watch that show your friends are always talking about.
L.R.R.H.: Do you mean Game of Thrones or Pretty Little Liars?
Mother: I don’t care! Anything but cartoons.
L.R.R.H.: Well those shows don’t have cool swords, vampires, ice kings and bubbline!
Mother: [Switch to monster] I DON’T KNOW WHAT HALF THOSE TERMS MEAN!
L.R.R.H.: Of course you don’t! [exasperated sigh] I’m just going to leave!
Mother: [Switches to nice mother] Okay! Be safe!
L.R.R.H.: [muttering] God!
Mother: [monster costume switch and demon voice] WHAT DID YOU SAY!
L.R.R.H.: [scared] Nothing!
Mother: Okay, bye! Be safe!
[L.R.R.H. leaves and screen goes dark]
Scene 2
[Background switches to forest scene]
Narrator: As she was going through the wood, she met with a wolf, who wanted eat her right then and there, but he didn’t dare do so because he had seen a hunter nearby. And so, he came up with a genius plan.
Wolf: [slyly, feigning innocence and curiosity] Hello, child. Where are you going with that basket.

Decision: Two buttons appear one that says, “Talk to wolf” another that says, “Don’t talk to the wolf.” When one button is clicked, that ending is initiated.
Don’t Talk to Wolf (Positive) Talk to Wolf (Negative)
L.R.R.H.: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! STRANGER DANGER! STRANGER DANGER!
Wolf: Hush, child. Hush. I mean no harm.
L.R.R.H.: Haha. NO. I would very much not like to get eaten and/or kidnapped for goodness sakes.
Wolf: WOAH! WOAH! What?1 I would never ever ever even THINK about doing that!
L.R.R.H.: Ha. I refuse to fall prey to your attempts to have me as your next dinner, you . . . wolf!
Wolf: 1- I have no intention to hurt you.
2- Such a great insult, human.
L.R.R.H.: I don’t care how many times you try to get me to loiter around. Mom, warned me about animals like you. I have pepper spray!
Wolf: Oh man!
L.R.R.H.: Yeah…And you should know that I know eight different forms of martial arts and I know that the hunters are nearby.
Wolf: Who cares I can eat you right now so fast that they won’t hear you even scream.
L.R.R.H.: You sure about that?
Wolf: Yea-
L.R.R.H.: [LOUD EAR PIERCING SCREAM]
Hunter: [appear from nowhere] A damsel in distress! How may we help- A BEAST! [gunshot]
[Wolf is shown with X’s on its eyes]
L.R.R.H.: Oh thanks . I could’ve handled it but thanks anyway.
Hunter: No problem. I was out hunting for dinner anyway. Would you like me to escort you to wherever it is you’re headed to with that basket?
L.R.R.H.: Now why would you do that?
Hunter: Well it would be a shame if you were able to survive a wolf attack but died from...I don’t know…a snake bit.
L.R.R.H.: Well okay then.
Scene 3
Narrator: And so the hunter and Little Red Hood walked and talked all the way to her grandma’s home.
[background changes to the living room of a house]
L.R.R.H.: Gram-Gram! MA SENT ME TO DELIVER YOU SOME GOODS!
[Old lady enters screen]
Grandma: Oh thank youi!
L.R.R.H.: Guess I’ll leave then.
Grandma: Oh be careful! I hear there is a sly wolf around these parts.
L.R.R.H.: It’s okay. I don’t think we’ll be seeing him anymore.
L.R.R.H.: Oh, hi!
Wolf: Hello?
L.R.R.H.: YOU’RE SUCH A CUTE WITTLE WOLF!
Wolf: What?
L.R.R.H.: What did you say before?
Wolf: I just wanted to know where you were going with that basket.
l.R.R.H.: Oh. I’m just headed to my Gram-Gram’s house just a few miles from here.
Wolf: Oh really?
L.R.R.H.: Yeah. She’s pretty sick and weak right now so if a big bad wolf were to come along he could probably just eat her right up.
Wolf: Huh. Would you mind giving me directions to going there? I’m an old friend of hers and I bet she’s DYING to see me.
L.R.R.H.: Oh sure. Just go like a mile or two from here to the forked road and go the “wrong way.”
Wolf: Thank you. You’re such a good child. I’ll go ahead and see you there.
L.R.R.H.: Okay!
Wolf: [Thinking] HAHAHA! NOW I’LL HAVE TWO DINNERS!! But I’ll have to be careful. It really would be a shame if those horrid hunters catch me.
Wolf: [Out loud] BYE! See you later.
L.R.R.H.: Bye, Mr. Wolf-man.
[Wolf disappears]
L.R.R.H.: [Thinking] What a nice wolf. No wonder Gram-Gram and him are old friends. And they said wolves were sly and evil creatures. [Hunter appears]
Hunter: Hey, you there young lady.
L.R.R.H.: Uh. Yeah?
Hunter: Have you seen an evil wolf around here?
L.R.RH.: [THINKING] He can’t be talking about that wolf. [OUT LOUD] Nope.
Hunter: Oh man. Could’ve sworn I tracked him here. Well, thanks anyways.
L.R.R.H.: No problem. Bye! [Walks away]
Scene 3:
[Background change to bedroom with the wolf in it]
Wolf: Haha! Now that the Grandma is gone I can eat the girl.
[Knocking noise]
Wolf: Come in!
L.R.R.H.: [Comes in] Hi, Gram-Gram. Mom, made me bring you some food.
Wolf: [Nasally voice] Put it on the stool.
L.R.R.H.: [surprised] Grandmother, what big arms you have!
Wolf: All the better to hug you with, my dear.
LR.R.H.: Grandmother, what big legs you have!
Wolf: All the better to run with, my child.
L.R.R.H.: Grandmother, what big ears you have!
Wolf: All the better to hear with, my child.
L.R.R.H.: Grandmother, what big eyes you have!
Wolf: All the better to see with, my child.
L.R.R.H.: Grandmother, what big teeth you have!
Wolf: All the better to eat you up with.
Narrator: And, saying these words, this wicked wolf fell upon Little Red Riding Hood, and ate her all up.

Storyboards: [See Images]

C: Plan
Project Plan
Resources
Materials:
Sprites
Background
Tools:
Scratch
Websites
Internet
Computer
Location:
School
Home
Labor:
Credits
Money:
$0
Time:
6 hours
Action Plan
Procedure:
Choose a story.
1.Identify the characters, moral decision, the choice the main character made, etc.
2.Create a script for the story.
3.Create a storyboard for Act 1 and a storyboard for each decision whether it is good or bad.
Schedule:
After school and during lunch.

D: Create
Developer’s Journal:
6:00 PM, Home:
*Annoyed sigh* I can’t seem to understand whether the procedure counts for before or after you starts creating your animation. I also seem to be having problems with the internet so I’m just unhappy. I’ve decided to write about before the animation because that makes more sense.
7:17 PM, Home:
I just spent an hour and 17 minutes just looking for the photos for the sprites and backgrounds. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU INTERNET?! I search for werewolf and a picture of someone’s foot comes on my screen. *true story* WHAT DOES HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING?! I am seriously losing faith in humanity. There, unfortunately, is no solution to this horrifying problem.
2:04 AM, Home:
I just spent a whole lot of time animating the project. It took way longer than expected. The only problem was figuring out the interactive part. I just completely forgor how to make choices appear so I just put it as pressing the up arrow key or the down arrow key.But I got through it and I’m ALIVE! And now for sleep.

E: Evaluate
I believe I did as the guidelines for the project said to do so. I believe I was able to go through the constraints and requirements. Although, I did have to change some things in my script either because of the sprites limited movements or that the action wasn’t possible. For example, in my script the wolf is supposed to sound nasally because he was trying to imitate the Grandma but that isn’t possible in scratch if you don’t use the recorded voice. I was able to recognize these problems in my storyboards so they do not appear there. All in all, I think I did a good job.

"The Truth of the Three Little Pigs" based on the "3 Little Pigs" from Disney

by: 19habibk

Link_  http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/21655994/

Screen Shot 2014-05-04 at 3.21.48 PM.png

(A) Investigate: Choose my story

a) The Three Little Pigs- The Disney Version

b) Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Little_Pigs

c) Main Characters: Big Bad Wolf and the Three Brother Pigs

d) Moral/ethical decision: Is how the wolf is able to break down the brick house made by the third pig.

e) Choices:

Negative: The wolf decides to use dynamite to blow the house up. But then the pigs become friends.

Positive: He can’t open up the house to tell the pigs that he needs medical help, maybe he has a cut.

f) Alternate Endings:

Positive: The wolf gets to talk with the pigs and tell them that he needs medical help for a cut, and then they become friends, and he gets healed.

Negative: The wolf uses dynamite to open up the house and it explodes. The pigs are terrified and use a laser beam for their protection.The gets hurt even more.

g) What is the ethical lesson?

The lesson was that always think efficiently. But even before that, first try to get your point across. The pigs were afraid of the wolf, but if the wolf was friendlier, he would have gotten the help he needed.

(B) Design

Story Script

Sprite1: Wolf

Sprite 2: Pig 1 Clark

Sprite3: Pig 2 Steve

Sprite4: Pig 3 Bruce

Scene 1

Setting: Will be in the wolf’s house and the wolf will be introduced. The background will be like the interior of a cottage.

Wolf) [On the left of the stage]

*Groans in Pain* This cut hurts really bad

I don’t even have any bandages. Let me ask my neighbors, the three little pigs.

[Walks out from the left of the the stage to the right and disappears.

Scene 2

Setting: Is going to be a sunny place outside, with a straw house on the right of the stage.

Wolf) [On the left] Will be alert  

I think the pig Clark lives around here.

Clark) Oh Hi wolf. Wait, WOlf!! I have to go inside

WOlf) No Clark--

[The door of Clark’s house slams and makes a loud noise.]

Clark) I won’t let you come in, my mommy told me not to interact with strangers.

Wolf) But I am not a stranger I need help.

Clark) Why should I believe you. HUh!!

Wolf) But it hurts a lot.

Clark) What hurts alot?!?

Wolf) Ow *Groans in pain, and accidently blows Clark’s house down by screaming*

Clark) See, you are a bad stranger. Why did you do that !?!?!?!?!!

WOlf) Sorry, while I yelled wind pushed your weak house down. It was an accident.

Clark) Are you saying I am stupid for making a weak house. You are a stranger!!

I am going to my brother Steve’s house. You are a big, fat, huge meany!!

Scene 3

Setting: Is going to be a sunny place outside, with a wooden house on the right of the stage.

Wolf) [On the left]

I think the pig Steve lives around here.

Steve) Oh my god, you are a WOlf!! I have to go inside

Clark) THat was the wolf I was talking about Steve.

WOlf) No Steve, I have to---

[The door of Steve’s house slams and makes a loud noise.]

Steve) I won’t let you come in, my mommy told me not to interact with strangers.

Clark) YEa!! Steve is right!!

Wolf) But I need help, my foot hurts and it is a bad cut

[THe wolf trips and hits the wooden house and breaks it]

Steve) What was that for you evil meany?!?!?!?!?!

WOlf) THat was an accident, I got hurt and then I tripped over.

Steve)

[THe two pigs leave the stage towards the right, then the wolf leaves he same way after them]

Scene 4

Wolf) I found the last brother, Bruce I believe.

Wolf) What should I do? Use dynamite or ask for help.

Decision:

[Negative] User presses the dynamite to break open the house

or

[Positive] User presses a button that says “Ask for HELP”

[Negative]

[Positive]

WOlf) I shall place dynamite over there.

3….2….1...BOOOM!!!!!

[All pigs are surprised]

Bruce) Well you fell into our little trap.

Wolf) What do you mean?

Bruce) [Brings out a laser beam] I hope you learned a lesson.

Wolf) I think this is a misunderstanding.

Bruce) Yea, okay. Since when should I listen to a wolf.

Wolf) When they are innocent and didn’t do anything.

Bruce) How would you verify that?

Wolf) Umm, because all I need was help.

Bruce) Haha now you must face the consequences.

[Shoots the laser]

Wolf) OWWW!!!!

Bruce) I hope you learn you learned your lesson.

Wolf) Sorry I wait!!

Wolf) I need help, I have a bad cut.

It hurts so much.

Bruce) Wait, you pigs didn’t tell me why he was “bothering” you.

Clark+Steve) We were scared and also we don’t like strangers.

Bruce) But he needed medical help, you should have at least tried.

Clark+Steve) Okay we are sorry wolfy

Wolf) Don’t sweat it guys. You were just taking safety precautions, I get it.

Clark+Steve) Thank you for understanding.

Wolf) No problem.

Bruce) LEt us just be friends now.

Wolf) alright pal.

Clark+Steve) Yup, what a great day it is.

Wolf) I will remember this day forever.

Clark) Me too Mr.Wolf.

Wolf) No call me Kyle

Steve) Okay Kyle.

Action Plan

Money- $0

Resources- Scratch, 

Create 

<iframe allowtransparency="true" width="485" height="402"src="http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/embed/21655994/?autostart=false" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Story Boards

Act 1

Screen Shot 2014-05-04 at 3.15.19 PM.png

Act 2

Look down for Act 2

Screen Shot 2014-05-04 at 3.18.07 PM.png

Act 3 (Big Decision)

Screen Shot 2014-05-04 at 3.19.56 PM.png

Evaluate

Developer Journal# 1 out of 1

Time) 4pm to 9:14pm

Date) May 5 2014

Problems) Well timing was what made this a bit difficult. I did this in the last minute unaware of this animation/project being due tomorrow. Lack tim made me become unable to go over flaws and make the project much more perfect.

Solutions) Saving time and making the project very good I used sprites and backgrounds by other people ( and gave them credit) to make my animation look better and save time.

Evalute

Improvements) Well, I could’ve added sounds and more actions, but overall I think I did pretty good. But I could have included more dialogue also.

Differences) I had to change my original script because it would have been longer about 3 to 4 minutes. I also changed my credits because I forgot to mention which 3 little pigs version did I use, so I edited my “Credits” Sprite.

I also at one point forgot how to make an action occur when a sprite is clicked, so I used the if click conditional block, but nothing happened. But then I found the control block if this sprite is clicked.

"The Crow and the Pitcher" by Aesop

by: 19villaw
Title
Act 1
Act 2A
Act 2B

A: Investigate
Fable: The Crow and the Pitcher by Aesop

B: Design

Story Script

Characters:
Bobby: main character
Joe: secondary character

Setting: Behind a Dumpster

Scene 1
[Joe enters]
Joe: Wow. I am so tired from yesterday...
[Bobby enters]
Bobby: Hey Joe!
Joe: What’s up Bobby?
Bobby: Nothin much. Aren’t you tired from the club last night.
Joe: YEAH I KNOW RIGHT...
Bobby: I am so thirsty...
Joe: Same.
Bobby: Hey look at that pitcher over there.
Joe: Yeah I see it…
[Both walk over to pitcher]
Joe: It’s nearly half full! I can’t reach that. I’m done...
Bobby: I have a choice. I can either figure out a way to obtain that water or I can just put it off to the side.
Joe: What are you going to do? I know I myself can’t reach that pitcher.
Bobby: Yeah I know, I’m thinking.

Instructions: Create a 1x1 table to contain the interactive elements of your story. Below are some sample ways you can give the viewer to interact with the story
Viewer Interaction

Bobby: [to the viewer] Press A to [Continue with figuring a way to obtain water] or B [to give up and not obtain any water].

[Continuing figuring out a way to obtain water]

Bobby: You know what? I’ll keep at it…
Joe: Suite yourself.
[Joe flies off the stage]
Bobby: What can I do, what can I do…
Bobby: I know [spots pebbles near by]
[Bobby puts pebbles in the pitcher until the water rises up.
Bobby: Yes...Water!
[Bobby drinks happily]
Bobby: Lets see how my friend Joe is doing now.
[Next Scene]
Bobby: Oh Joe where are you?
[Spots Joe on the ground dead]
Bobby: Oh my god!!!
[Hospital Scene]
Bobby: Doc, what happened to him?
Doc: He died of dehydration.
[Reveal Moral]

[Giving up and not obtaining any water]

Bobby: You know what? Forget it. There will be more on the way back home.
Joe: Yeah. Whatever you want to believe…
[Bobby and Joe fly together]
Joe: Oh no. I feel like I’m going to faint!
Bobby: No!
[Joe falls and lands on a rock and breaks his head]
Bobby: Owww my head hurts. I can’t see anything…
[Bobby falls and lands harder on a rock and breaks his skull]
[Changes scene to a newspaper]
Reporter: Two crows, named Bobby and Joe died yesterday because of dehydration. Scientists believe this was the cause of lack of determination to achieve water.
Reveal Moral]

StoryBoards (see above)
Act 1:

Act 2A:

Act 2B:

Project Plan:
-Tools: Computers, Scratch Program.

-Materials:
Sprites:
-Bobby
-Joe
-Bird 1
-Bird 2
[All are drawn]

Background:
-Grassy background
-Newspaper background

-Location: Home, and a little bit in School [Technology Class and 8th period]

-Labor: Credits, (me)

-Money: $0.00

-Time: 6hrs

Action Plan:
1. Finish my script.
2. Start on my sprites.
3. Draw and customize my sprites.
4. Write scripts on Scratch.
5. Revise and Test at least twice.
6. Edit and publish by Tuesday: May 6, 2014.

Developers Journal:
Where: Home
Time: 4pm-10pm
Work: Well, I started and finished my project. I did make changes in the story because I found out that some parts didn’t fit and were unnecessary. I forgot to edit them out, but I did make changes in the actual animation.

E: Evaluate

In my animation, it was sort-of difficult to follow the guidelines. For me, I feel like since my fairy tale/fable wasn’t really that long, it was hard to make it last a couple of minutes. It was tough coming up with all of the details for the animation as well. I believe that was the most difficult part there was apart from creating the story boards. The fact of being precise with the fable was difficult. Also, there were many complex situations, where for example, I had to switch backgrounds and costumes at the same time. Also, the fact that the two responses took a long time.

http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/21667871

Chicken? based on The Ungrateful Son by Grimm

by: 19zhangl
Chicken?

A- Investigate: Determine your story choice
a] The Ungrateful Son
b] http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~spok/grimmtmp/113.txt
c] This story was written by the brothers Grimm.
d] The main characters are the greedy son and the old man who is the father.
e] The ethical decision was whether or not the son decided to hide the chicken, whether or not the son was being greedy.
f] The choice the son makes is to hide the chicken and be greedy, he doesn’t let his father eat it. The consequences of this decision is that the chicken became a frog that sucked on his face. The son had to feed the frog or else it would eat his face.
g] The alternate ending could be that the son didn’t hide the chicken, instead he left it out in the open for the father to eat. However, his father decides to take it back to his home. By the time his dad arrives at his home the chicken is a frog that jumped on to his face and now even when he stole chickens, he couldn’t eat it and had to feed his frog. The son never saw his father again, and the son got to eat his chickens alone.
The Lesson: Greed will eat us up.
B. Design
Story Script
Characters:
The Son (Patrick)
The Father
The Wolf

Scene 1
The Narrator: The son is making his chicken while he is singing.
The Son: Oh how good this will taste when it’s done. Yum! He walks over with the chicken in hand.
The Narrator: The chicken is finally done being prepped so he put in the oven and let it cook for 20 minutes.
*Ringgggg*
The Narrator: The chicken is finally done cooking now all was left was for the son to enjoy it.
The son leans close to the chicken and sniffs it getting all the good aroma.
The father knocks on the door of his son’s home *Knock knock*
The Father: Open up son.
The Narrator: O no! What should the son do? Should he hide it?

What should the son do? Should he hide it?
Yes
The Son: -is standing in front of the chicken-
The Father: -enters the room- Hello!
The Son: Hey what brings you here?
The Father: O nothing just came to see how ya doing.
The Son: Well I’ve been doing great, thanks for your concern, please come in!
The Father: Thank you. So what’s for dinner tonight. Is that a chicken I smell?
The Son: -thinks- oh no! -says- I haven’t cooked. Would you like a drink?
The Father: No it’s fine
The Narrator: As they talked together all the son could think about was what if his father saw the chicken behind him
The Son: Okay well bye father this was fun we shall do this again sometime.
The Father: Have a good night son! -the father disappears.
The Narrator: After his father was gone he looked behind him but what was left was not a chicken, it was a frog.
The Son: Oh no! What happened!?!
The Narrator: As the son leaned closer to the frog, the frog jumps on his face. *The frog sucks on the the son’s face* From that day on whenever the son had to eat he had to be selfless and feed the frog, or else the frog would eat him.
No The Son: Come in Father!
The Father: Hello son! The father peers his head into his home and sees a chicken on the table. Is that a chicken I see?
The Narrator: Now what would this mean for Patrick’s chances of eating the chicken? He couldn’t lie and say no when it was in sight. But he knew that his father was a greedy man.
The Son: Yes it is.
The Father: Well you do not deserve to eat this scrumptious chicken, so I will just take it off your hands. Thank you.
The Son: Father!!! You can’t do that!
The Father: Yes I can I am your father, I can do whatever I would like. Good bye!
The father walks out into the woods and it is dark.
*Crunch*
The Narrator: O dear what could that be?
A wolf stomps in.
Wolf: *Growls*
The Father: What are you doing get out of here!!
Wolf: Give me the chicken
The Narrator: What will the father do? Save his chicken or his life?
The Father: This is my chicken.
Wolf: The wolf jumps on the father and the father dies.
The Narrator: The father has died because of his greed. And now the son was able to enjoy as many chickens as he would like without having to worry about them being taken away from him by his father.

Project Plan
1. Resources
Tools-
Computer
Scratch Program
Internet/Google
Materials-
Sprites
Backgrounds
Pictures
Labor-
In the credits
CREDITS:
I did most of the work (I put the whole Scratch Animation together)
Location-
At home, in my room.
Time-
It’ll take approximately 18 hrs to complete this project, of course 18hrs split into smaller intervals.
Money-
No money needed.
2. Action Plan
Schedule- To work everyday until the due date of my project, for the first 6 hours I will just focus on getting all the scripts done, then for the rest of the hrs remaining of the 18 hrs, I will go through my script and make changes to make it better.
Steps-
Write a script, including stage directions, what the characters will say, and descriptions of the characters and of the setting.
Make your script come to life using animation and the program Scratch.
Test your animation making sure it goes smoothly.
Upload it to Scratch website.
STORY BOARDS

DEVELOPER’S JOURNAL
Session #1:5/3/14, 3:30-7:20, my home
-Time Spent: I spent 3 hours and 50 minutes.
-Short Summary: I made my whole animation using Scratch. I made some minor changes to the script.
-Problems:
I couldn’t get the timing to be correct, sometimes there would be overlapping speech.
The speech bubbles were not even close to the character that was speaking.
-Solution:
I kept on watching the animation over and over trying to change the wait blocks so that the timing would be correct.
This problem couldn’t be resolved, unfortunately.
-Changes: I changed the script a lot. I changed it so that it would be a lot simpler to produce. Because my script was so complicated it was hard to produce it and animate it. I also changed the original story and didn’t put the wife in the story and also omitted the father and son drinking scene.

EVALUATION
My animation clearly follows the design specifications of the Unit 3 Project. My porject is longer that 2 minutes long. It is also interactive since the user can decide the ethical decision whether Patrick hides the chicken or not. Based on that decisions there are two completely different outcomes for the animation. The lesson taught by the different outcomes is that greed isn’t good. The parts leading up to the story is longer than a minute.
My animation follows the whole script because all the speeches of the characters are the same as the lines I planned for them. My animation almost exactly my storyboards, because I used the same backgrounds and sprites/characters in both.