All news in Gaming and New Media

"A Deal With Rumpelstiltskin" based on "Rumpelstiltskin" by The Brothers Grimm (Interactive Video)

by: 19reillym
"A Deal With Rumpelstiltskin" based on "Rumpelstiltskin" by The Brothers Grimm
"A Deal With Rumpelstiltskin" Act 1
"A Deal With Rumpelstiltskin" Act 2A
"ADeal With Rumpelstiltskin" Act 2B

A: Investigative
Rumpelstiltskin by Brothers Grimm
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~spok/grimmtmp/044.txt.com

The miller’s daughter and later the King’s wife is the main character.

Moral/Ethical Decision: The Queen had to make a deal to give up something she would not like to give up: her first born child. This is something she would probably not want to give up.

Original: In the original story, the Queen agrees to give up her firstborn child if Rumpelstiltskin makes gold for her. The child is eventually saved but it should not have been.

Alternate Ending: The Miller’s daughter does not give up her first born child. The king hears her choice and decides to reward her.

The ethical lesson is that you should not give up something you cannot live without. If you love something, you should not give it away just to help yourself.

B: Design

Story Script:
(Scene 1: King’s Castle. A man is next to the king who is in red robes and is trying to get him to like him.)
Miller: I would like to impress you.
King: That would be hard, since you are a miller.
Miller: Trust me. You want to hear this.
King: I am so interested now. Why don’t you tell me?
Miller: My daughter can spin straw into gold.
King : This could be very useful. Bring her to the castle.
Miller: What? What will you do with her.
King: When she arrives, we will put her in the dungeon until I have as much gold as I like.
Miller: You cannot do that! I will stop you!
(Scene 2: There is a young woman sitting in a dungeon who looks scared. She is in rags.)
Milly: Let me out. I can not make gold out of straw.
Rumpelstiltskin: (Appears out of nowhere.) I can help you but in return, I want your necklace.
Milly: Okay! Take it. Just help me please!
Rumpelstiltskin: (Makes the necklace appear in his hand.) Thankyou! (Makes gold appear.)
Milly: Thankyou. Who are you?
King: (Walks in, while Rumpelstiltskin disappears.) This is not enough gold! I want far more. (Leaves the room.)
Milly: No! I cannot do this.
Rumpelstiltskin: (Appears.) But, I can! I will make you more gold.
Milly: What is the price this time? I do not have anything.
Rumpelstiltskin: But you will someday.
Milly: What could you possibly want?
Rumpelstiltskin: I want your first born child. I will help you and in return, you give me your kid. It’s a win-win.
Decision: Milly asks the audience : Should I give up my child?
Positive Decision: Viewer says “No” Negative Decision: Viewer says “Yes”
Rumpelstiltskin: Whatever! It’s not like I really care about you at all. Haha! (Disappears.)
Milly: Now that I can’t give him more gold, what will the King do to me?
King: (Walks into the room.) No need to worry Milly. I heard you stand up to that troll. That is a very brave thing to do.
Milly: So you are happy with me now?
King: Yes I am. So much so that you will now be my wife.
Milly: Thank you so much my King.
King: We will be married in a year and we will capture Rumpelstiltskin.
(Scene 3: The King and Milly are on a grassy field getting married a year later. They have had a child which is sitting in a baby chair. Suddenly, Rumpelstiltskin appears.)
Rumpelstiltskin: Give me your child!
Milly: You will not touch him. Besides, you said you didn’t care about the baby.
Rumpelstiltskin: No, I said I didn’t care about your fate. I thought you would be locked in the dungeon and not have a baby at all. I still want the baby.
King: Guards! Flatten this monster!
Rumpelstiltskin: There is no need to get violent here.
King: Attack now!
Milly: Thank you so much.
King: He will never lay a hand on our child.
Milly: It looks like everything worked out. I am finally safe. That troll will never bother me again.
King: That is correct. Now, Let us celebrate!
Rumpelstiltskin: I will see you soon then. (Makes a large pile of gold. Then, he disappears.)
King: (Walks in.) This is enough gold Milly. Thank you!
Milly: You are welcome.
King: You will now receive your reward.
Milly: *Thinking* I am getting a reward?
King: You will be married to me in a year.
Milly: I cannot wait.
(Scene 3: Milly is getting ready for her marriage to the King. Their child is sitting next to her.)
Milly: Where is my crown?
Rumpelstiltskin: (Appears.) I do not know but I am taking your child now.
Milly: No, I love him.
Rumpelstiltskin: Fine, I will not take it if you guess my name in two tries.
Milly: Is it George. No, it must be Peter.
Rumpelstiltskin: No, it is Rumpelstiltskin!
Milly: Please don’t do this. I will make you rich.
Rumpelstiltskin: I can spin straw into gold. I do not need your money.
Milly: You cannot do this!
Rumpelstiltskin: Sorry, but you made a deal. I can and will do this. (Disappears with Milly’s daughter.)
Milly: No! I should never have made that promise!

Story Boards: See pictures Above

Plan
Recourses:
Materials: I will use a miller sprite, a women sprite, a king sprite and a monster sprite. There will be multiple costumes for each. The will be a background with a castle in it, a background with a dungeon and a background that is the inside of a castle.
Tools: For the project, I will use a computer. The project will be made using the Scratch program.
Labor: I will make the entire project myself. I will give credit to the Brothers Grimm who came up with the story that the animation is based on.
Money: No money will be spent on this project.
Time: I will spend about three to four hours on this project.
Location: I will work on this entire project at my house.
Action Plan:
First, I will create the sprites being used in the animation. I will then get the backgrounds that will be used. After this, I will create the animation. I will get the sprites to do what they are supposed to and then I will add the dialogue.
I will work on this project for one day. I will work for hours during the afternoon and into the night after school. I will finish any other homework first and then start the project. Once I am done, I will submit the project in the necessary ways.

Create Phase
Developer’s Journal:
Session 1: May 5, 2014 4:00- 8:00 Home
I spent four hours working. I did the entire project. There were no problems found while doing the project. I did not make any significant changes other than changing a few lines in the script. I uploaded my project to the Scratch website at 8:06.

Evaluate
I timed the different parts of my animation and when I did, each one seemed to reach at least a minute long. It was close though so I am not sure if I got it directly. The viewer affects the course of the story by making a decision for the main character. Based on the answer, there is two different branches of the story which either has a good or bad ending that teach a lesson to the viewer. I gave credit to the Brothers Grimm for the original story idea and the story is appropriate for viewers under 13. I turned it in on May 5, 2014.
My script is almost exactly like the story. Some of the dialogue is a little shorter in the animation because it became hard to read a very long line and some of them seemed a little weird. The only other problem may have been the color of the sprites costumes which were for the most part, the same.
The storyboards for my project are good at telling of what generally happened in the story. The dialogue is taken from the script but only a few important lines. The characters do not look so much like they do in the animation. The only other difference was that it was easier to fit a lot of stuff into a storyboard, but doing the same for the animation was a little difficult.

by: 19reillym

A: Investigative
Rumpelstiltskin by Brothers Grimm

B: Design

Story Script:
Miller: I would like to impress you.
Milly: Thankyou. Who are you?
Milly: No! I cannot do this.
Rumpelstiltskin: But you will someday.
Milly: What could you possibly want?
Milly: So you are happy with me now?
Milly: Thank you so much my King.
Rumpelstiltskin: Give me your child!
King: Guards! Flatten this monster!
King: Attack now!
Milly: Thank you so much.
Milly: You are welcome.
King: You will now receive your reward.
Milly: I cannot wait.
Milly: Where is my crown?
Milly: No, I love him.
Milly: You cannot do this!

Story Boards: See pictures Above

Plan
Recourses:
Action Plan:

Create Phase
Developer’s Journal:
Session 1: May 5, 2014 4:00- 8:00 Home

Evaluate

The 4 Oxen and The Lion (Interactive Version)

The 4 Oxen and The Lion (Interactive Version) Act 1
The 4 Oxen and The Lion (Interactive Version) Act 2 A
The 4 Oxen and The Lion (Interactive Version) Act 2 B

The Four Oxen and the Lion

- Author:
Aesop
-Link to Fable:
http://www.aesopfables.com/cgi/aesop1.cgi?sel&TheFourOxenandtheLion
-Main Character
The 4 Oxen
-Moral/Ethical Choice:
The oxen decide if they stay together to prevent falling to the Lion, or if they part ways and take their own sides of the grass field.

Design 2:
Story Script:
Our story starts in a grass field. 4 Oxen graze happily as a lion prowls in the tall grass near by. The Lion steps on a twig making his presence clear.
Lion: [Snapping noise]
Ox 1: Did you hear that?
Ox 2: It was nothing. Just probably the wind.
Lion: (Thinking) They know of my presence, time to strike. [Lion moves a small distance forward, then pounces out of the brush with claws and fangs out] RAAAAAHHH!
Ox 3: Look out!
Ox 1: Quick! Horns forward! [The Oxen turn to the Lion and stick their horns out]
Lion: RRRR… [The Lion not being able to find a spot to penetrate the wall of defense he is pushed back by the advancing oxen until he turns and runs the other direction and back to his rocky perch]
Ox 4: Great job! He won’t be back for a while!
Ox 2: Ah, Indeed… Now I can get back to eating my special patch of grass. [Ox 2 notices footsteps all over where he usually grazes] Who did this!?
Ox 3: [Stepping back] Sorry, the Lion attack must have startled me…
Ox 2: You FIEND! How could you do this? You are the clumsiest in all of this land!
Ox 4: [Sticking up for his friend] Stop! At least he is not as clumsy and you!
Ox 2: Step back before I trample your face in!
Ox 1: Stop it! If we keep quarreling the Lion might come back and use our argument to bring doom upon us!
Ox 2: Hmph! I rather not live with these pathetic fools…
Ox 4: What do you say [Gesturing to Ox 1]? Should we stay together or go our own separate ways?

Viewer Interaction
Ox 4 asks the viewer if he and his 4 fellow oxen should stay together or if they should separate.

Positive Negative
If the oxen stay together...
If the oxen separate...
Ox 1: We should stay together. Its a better idea.
Ox 2: But what about my grass!? These fools trampled all over it!
Ox 4: If you care so much about your feed then lets move to another part of the field.
Ox 2: But… Oh, thats not a bad idea… sorry.
Ox 3: Its okay! I heard there is awesome vegetation on the other side of the river.
[The Lion watches from a distance as the quartet head toward the river. As he sees them heading into the river he stays at a distance once they have their back turned to him he charges with a stunning roar]
Lion: ROAR!
Ox 2: Make haste! He won’t go into the water!
[The oxen jumped into the water and swam, Ox 4, a little stunned with fear takes a few seconds to react. The Lion jumps and latches on to him with his giant maw.]
Ox 3: Back off you foul beast!
Ox 1: Quick, we have save him!
[The remaining oxen swim back for their friend. Now severely wounded with lion teeth in his back the last thing Ox 4 sees is Ox 1 charging the Lion, and feels a sudden relief] Screen fades to black)
[Ox 4 Wakes up]
Ox 4: Friends?
Ox 1: Yay, you are awake! Lion ran off after we got him of off you. The great grass here we fed you must be healing you.
Ox 4: thank you guys.
Ox 3: No problem, we are a team right?
(Screen Turns Black Says: Fin)
Ox 1: Fine. We’ll part ways.
Ox 2: Don’t you ever come touch my grass again.
[Ox 2 Trots away]
Ox 3: i think I should go my own way as well. Farewell friends.
[Ox 3 Leaves the stage and without saying a word so does Ox 4. The Lion watching from a distance sees the animals separating. To his surprise they didn’t come back for each other. He prowls down from his rock perch and first approaches Ox , slaying him in cold blood. Next he snuck up on Ox 4 and 3, and dispatched Ox 4 while 3 ran for his life, sending far away from his original home last he approaches Ox 2]
Ox 2: Who is there? Show yourself!
Lion: So let it be. [Lion comes out of the brush]
Ox 2: [Sinking his head seeing the lion’s red talons] What have you done to my friends?
Lion: they made a fine meal indeed…
Ox 2: [in his sorrow and rage Ox 2 charges the Lion] AHHHHHH!
Lion: [In amusement of his sorrow Lion lets Ox 2 live] You have made a grave mistake my dear ox, together you stand but separate you fall.
Ox 2: [Ox 2 turns away, not caring what the lion does to him.]

Story Boards: See top.

Project Plan:
Material:
-Sprites
-Backgrounds
Tools:
-Scratch 1.4
-Internet
Location:
-School
-Home
Labor:
-Me (Credits)
Money:
$0.00
Time:
Unknown/Depends

Action Plan:
1. First I will make the sprites and backgrounds.
2. Then I will follow the script and create the animation up to the part where the viewer must make/his or her decision.
3.I will implement the decision and possible answers that the reader can choose from.
4. I shall create the first/positive path that the viewer can take.
5. After I shall create the second path the reader can take with the negative ending.

- I will do this all at home in between the hours of 4:30 PM and 10:00 PM. I also shall work on this project in school.

Developer’s Journal:
4/30/14 10:21 School
I spent about 30 minutes creating the backgrounds for my animation. I made no changes and the only difficulty I had was not being able to make the sprites.

5/5/14 5:00 Home
I spent 5 hours making all of the sprites and animation. I made no changes but almost deleted all my work.

Self Evaluation:
My interactive animation does have 2 ethical decisions and has 2 paths each affected by the choice the viewer makes. Each ending of the branch preaches the biewer a lesson, this story’s being about staying together is better. The storyline leading up to the decision is one minute long and so is the positive path the the negative path is to short. Because it is composed of quick sense including death and avoiding gor, there is quick action. Also another thing i could have done better is adding sound. In my last animation there was similarly no audio (except my voice). Because the sounds that i need are not listed on scratch, I do not want to put in anything else that might jeopardise the mood of my animation. Also, some parts of the animation don’t flow as well as I wish and I didn’t know how to change them without changing to much. Again what I am proud of the sprites and backgrounds I made, which I did all by myself. This whole project was made by me only and therefore no credit must be given.

"Hansel and Gretel's Witch Adventures" inspired by "Hansel and Gretel" by Brothers Grimm Interactive Version

by: 19zhuogat

A: Investigate
Title: Hansel and Gretel by Grimm brothers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hansel_and_Gretel
The main characters are Hansel and Gretel.
The moral of this story is to not talk to strangers and the ethical decision is whether or not they enter the witch’s gingerbread house.
The characters Hansel and Gretel will choose to eat the gingerbread house and enter the house.
The alternate ending is that the children see that the old lady is a witch and they run back to their cottage to find their father.
The ethical decision is whether they go into the house or not.

B:Design
Story Script

Scene 1: Kitchen with Woodcutter and Stepmother
Woodcutter is at stage left and the stepmother is at stage right.
Woodcutter: Now children, time for bed! Good night.
Stepmother: Woodcutter! Attend to me now!
Woodcutter: Yes wife?
Stepmother: We must get rid of those awful children! They have eaten all of the food and we will starve in the winter!
Woodcutter: But…
Stepmother: You must listen to me! I am your wife!
Woodcutter: You are not their mother, you are their stepmother.
Stepmother: What did you say?!?
Woodcutter: Ok fine.

Scene 2: Bedroom with Hansel and Gretel
Hansel at stage right and Gretel at stage left.
Hansel: Hey, did you hear that Gretel?
Gretel: Yes Hansel. That stepmother wants us to die.
Hansel: I have an idea. (moves around room.)
(After a few seconds)
Gretel: Are you holding white rocks?
Hansel: (Hansel is holding a white rock). Yes. tomorrow when they leave us in the forest, we will have these rocks to guide us back. Good night Gretel.
Gretel: Good night Hansel.

Scene 3: Forest with Hansel and Gretel
(Both are at top stage right)
Hansel: I told you Gretel. (Moves along the path with Gretel and leaves a trail of white pebbles) The rocks are still there.
(Few months later)
Hansel: Don't worry Gretel. I left a trail of breadcrumbs. (Walks along the trail) with Gretel and leaves a trail of yellow crumbs). (Trail vanish) Wait, where are they?
Gretel: [Gasps] Oh no! The birds ate them!
[Few days later]

Scene 3: Gingerbread House with Hansel and Gretel and Witch
Hansel and Gretel are at stage right
Hansel: Is that? Is that a gingerbread house?
Gretel: I see it too! Should we eat it? Yes or no?

Positive Decision (no) Negative Decision (yes)
Hansel: No, it is too dangerous.
Gretel: But I’m so hungry!
Hansel: We shouldn’t go into a stranger’s home and eat it.
Gretel: You are right. Who knows what might live there.
Hansel: Maybe a witch?
(Both laugh)
Witch: [Comes out of the house] Hello little children! Do you need a place to sleep or some food?
Hansel: No ma’am. We shall leave your house alone and be on our way.
Gretel: Yes, after all, you are a stranger!
Witch: Come in children! I made roast beef!
There is cake and cookies if you just follow…
Gretel: Thank you for your kind hospitality but we should be going by now.
Witch: I said, COME IN! (Angry face)
Hansel: Run! It IS a witch! (Him and Gretel and runs to stage right)
Witch: Come back here little children! I just want a taste! (Hobbles towards the children)
Gretel: Run! She’s coming!
Witch: Oh forget you children. Many more will come.
Scene 4 with Hansel and Gretel
Hansel and Gretel at middle stage
Gretel: Few! Do you think we lost her?
Hansel: I don't hear her screaming so I guess not!
Gretel: Hey where are we?
Hansel: It doesn’t matter. We are lost.
Gretel: But I think I know where we are!
Hansel: You do?
Gretel: Look see! Thats the stump where father gathers wood…
Hansel: And there is our hiding spot!
Gretel: And if we go through this…
Scene 5: Woodcutter’s Cottage with Hansel, Gretel, and the Woodcutter
Hansel and Gretel at stage left and Woodcutter at stage right
Hansel: Our house!
Gretel: Oh thank goodness!
Hansel: But what if the stepmother and father doesn’t want us back?
Gretel: Well its worth a shot huh?
Woodcutter: Children! (Runs towards kids) Oh Children! I am so sorry! Your stepmother is gone forever and I have regretted sending you away ever since!
Hansel: Hmm… (Bites a gumdrop) Yum!
Gretel: Let me try! (Walks up to Hansel)
[Hours later]
Gretel: Ugh. I feel so full…
Witch: Hello children. Would you like to come in? I have food and beds. (Hansel and Gretel follows)
Scene 4: Inside the Gingerbread House with Hansel and Gretel and Witch
Hansel and Gretel at stage left and witch at stage right
Gretel: Wow! This place is so sweet! I want to eat everything!
Witch: Now now, the desert is for after dinner. (Hobbles towards a door)
Gretel: (Yawns) Ahh! Why am I in an iron cage?!? I’’m not a slave!
Witch: Ahaha! Now you are! And I will fatten Hansel up and eat him!
Hansel: Help! Anyone!
Witch: Now, to eat you! Get in the fire to see how hot it is!
Hansel: What?
Witch: Get in!
Hansel: I don’t understand. Can you show me?
Witch: Fine! (walks to cauldron) See? Like this…….
Hansel: (Pushes the witch down) Now you shall never feast on any child that comes wandering. (Witch falls into cauldron).
Gretel: Help! The house is falling down!
Hansel: (Frees Gretel) Lets get out of here!
Gretel: Wait! (Runs to stage right)
Scene 5: Woodcutters house with Hansel, Gretel and the Woodcutter
Hansel and Gretel at stage left and Woodcutter at stage right.
Woodcutter: Oh my poor children. Thank goodness your stepmother is gone!
(Hansel and Gretel walk towards woodcutter)
Gretel: Father! Father! We have gold!
Woodcutter: Thank you for coming back! I'm so sorry!

Storyboard: See pictures above

Project Plan

Resources
Materials
Sprites
Stepmother http://www.rainbowgryphon.com/miscellaneous/womens-history-month-2012-fa...
Hansel and Gretel http://www.beyondhollywood.com/tommy-wirkolas-hansel-and-gretel-witch-hu...
Witch http://www.godsgeography.com/europe/germany/germany1.html
Woodcutter http://www.mactrast.com/2012/08/review-hansel-and-gretel-epic-tales-anim...
Backgrounds
The Gingerbread House: http://gregorymancuso.com/2012/08/movie-script-family-trapped-in-fairy-t...
The Woodcutter’s Cottage and the inside of the Gingerbread House http://www.mactrast.com/2012/08/review-hansel-and-gretel-epic-tales-anim...
Cottage https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/epic-tales/hansel-and-gretel-...
Tools
Scratch website
Internet
Computer
Location
Home
School
Labor
Me
Money
$0
Time
5 hours
Action Plan
Find sprites and backgrounds
Finish animations for Act 1
Set up ethical decision
Create positive act
Create negative act
Make sure each act is 1 minute long. If not, repeat steps 2-6 until it is 1 minute long each
Check over timing.
If there are any problems, repeat all steps until corrected

Create

Developer’s Journal
Session 1- May 4, 2014, 6:00 Home
Today, I spent 3 hours on this project. I finished Act 1 and the positive decision and I had some difficulties. I didn't remember how to make the two decisions in the scratch animation. I resolved this by looking over my notes and finding the day where we went over the ethical decision. My design was changed by the different backgrounds and sprites because I couldn't find some of them. I cut out some parts to use what I had and added more to make up for the cut out parts.

Session 2- May 5, 2014, 6:00 Home
Today I spent 2 hours to finish up the rest of this project and checked it over. There were some problems with Scratch, where I couldn't open my project, but I fixed this by opening it online. I had to change some of the parts because there were some mistakes in my work and some parts repeated continuously. When this problem occured, I watched the animation again and looked for when the mistake occurred. Then I found the mistake in the scripts and I fixed it.

E: Evaluate
I followed the design specifications exactly. This is true because each act is 1 minute, and there are 2 decisions. One decision is a negative decision, and the other is a positive one. I also gave credit to all of the material from the internet, and they appear at the end of the animation. I also made sure to keep the story appropriate for younger ages. I also followed my script exactly. When I needed to change something in the animation, I make sure to change the script too. Also, I made the script my base for my animation. Also, I used the storyboards and followed them exactly. All of the scenes look somewhat like the scenes in my animation. Also, the dialogue was a summary of each box, but I still put them in the script. I used the script, storyboards, and the design specification exactly.
There were some differences in the original design and the final product, but I made sure to change them in the storyboard and the script. The differences included some of the wording which didn't make sense. Also, some parts of the script were changed because not all of the actions were possible. Also, some of the characters had to be changed because they were not all available online. Those were some differences between the old design and the final product.

The Four Oxen and the Lion

- Author:
Aesop
-Link to Fable:
-Main Character
The 4 Oxen
-Moral/Ethical Choice:

Design 2:
Story Script:
Lion: [Snapping noise]
Ox 1: Did you hear that?
Ox 3: Look out!

Viewer Interaction

If the oxen stay together...
Lion: ROAR!
Ox 3: Back off you foul beast!
Ox 1: Quick, we have save him!
[Ox 4 Wakes up]
Ox 4: Friends?
Ox 4: thank you guys.
Ox 3: No problem, we are a team right?
(Screen Turns Black Says: Fin)
If the oxen part ways...
Ox 1: Fine. We’ll part ways.
[Ox 2 Trots away]
Ox 2: Who is there? Show yourself!
Lion: they made a fine meal indeed…

Basically, IT WAS PERFECTION
besides grammatical errors
i look forward to how you carve emotion into ox and lion sprites

Story Boards:
Before Choise:

Choice 1:

Choice 2:

Project Plan:
Material:
-Sprites
-Backgrounds
Tools:
-Scratch 1.4
-Internet
Location:
-School
-Home
Labor:
-Me (Credits)
Money:
$0.00
Time:
Unknown/Depends

Action Plan:

Developer’s Journal:
4/30/14 10:21 School

5/5/14 5:00 Home

Self Evaluation:

The Truth of the 3 Little Pigs based on "The 3 Little Pigs" from Disney

by: Anonymous
Truth of the 3 Little Pigs

Screen Shot 2014-05-04 at 3.21.48 PM.png

(A) Investigate: Choose my story

a) The Three Little Pigs- The Disney Version

b) Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Little_Pigs

c) Main Characters: Big Bad Wolf and the Three Brother Pigs

d) Moral/ethical decision: Is how the wolf is able to break down the brick house made by the third pig.

e) Choices:

Negative: The wolf decides to use dynamite to blow the house up. But then the pigs become friends.

Positive: He can’t open up the house to tell the pigs that he needs medical help, maybe he has a cut.

f) Alternate Endings:

Positive: The wolf gets to talk with the pigs and tell them that he needs medical help for a cut, and then they become friends, and he gets healed.

Negative: The wolf uses dynamite to open up the house and it explodes. The pigs are terrified and use a laser beam for their protection.The gets hurt even more.

g) What is the ethical lesson?

The lesson was that always think efficiently. But even before that, first try to get your point across. The pigs were afraid of the wolf, but if the wolf was friendlier, he would have gotten the help he needed.

(B) Design

Story Script

Sprite1: Wolf

Sprite 2: Pig 1 Clark

Sprite3: Pig 2 Steve

Sprite4: Pig 3 Bruce

Scene 1

Setting: Will be in the wolf’s house and the wolf will be introduced. The background will be like the interior of a cottage.

Wolf) [On the left of the stage]

*Groans in Pain* This cut hurts really bad

I don’t even have any bandages. Let me ask my neighbors, the three little pigs.

[Walks out from the left of the the stage to the right and disappears.

Scene 2

Setting: Is going to be a sunny place outside, with a straw house on the right of the stage.

Wolf) [On the left] Will be alert  

I think the pig Clark lives around here.

Clark) Oh Hi wolf. Wait, WOlf!! I have to go inside

WOlf) No Clark--

[The door of Clark’s house slams and makes a loud noise.]

Clark) I won’t let you come in, my mommy told me not to interact with strangers.

Wolf) But I am not a stranger I need help.

Clark) Why should I believe you. HUh!!

Wolf) But it hurts a lot.

Clark) What hurts alot?!?

Wolf) Ow *Groans in pain, and accidently blows Clark’s house down by screaming*

Clark) See, you are a bad stranger. Why did you do that !?!?!?!?!!

WOlf) Sorry, while I yelled wind pushed your weak house down. It was an accident.

Clark) Are you saying I am stupid for making a weak house. You are a stranger!!

I am going to my brother Steve’s house. You are a big, fat, huge meany!!

Scene 3

Setting: Is going to be a sunny place outside, with a wooden house on the right of the stage.

Wolf) [On the left]

I think the pig Steve lives around here.

Steve) Oh my god, you are a WOlf!! I have to go inside

Clark) THat was the wolf I was talking about Steve.

WOlf) No Steve, I have to---

[The door of Steve’s house slams and makes a loud noise.]

Steve) I won’t let you come in, my mommy told me not to interact with strangers.

Clark) YEa!! Steve is right!!

Wolf) But I need help, my foot hurts and it is a bad cut

[THe wolf trips and hits the wooden house and breaks it]

Steve) What was that for you evil meany?!?!?!?!?!

WOlf) THat was an accident, I got hurt and then I tripped over.

Steve)

[THe two pigs leave the stage towards the right, then the wolf leaves he same way after them]

Scene 4

Wolf) I found the last brother, Bruce I believe.

Wolf) What should I do? Use dynamite or ask for help.

Decision:

[Negative] User presses the dynamite to break open the house

or

[Positive] User presses a button that says “Ask for HELP”

[Negative]

[Positive]

WOlf) I shall place dynamite over there.

3….2….1...BOOOM!!!!!

[All pigs are surprised]

Bruce) Well you fell into our little trap.

Wolf) What do you mean?

Bruce) [Brings out a laser beam] I hope you learned a lesson.

Wolf) I think this is a misunderstanding.

Bruce) Yea, okay. Since when should I listen to a wolf.

Wolf) When they are innocent and didn’t do anything.

Bruce) How would you verify that?

Wolf) Umm, because all I need was help.

Bruce) Haha now you must face the consequences.

[Shoots the laser]

Wolf) OWWW!!!!

Bruce) I hope you learn you learned your lesson.

Wolf) Sorry I w

Wolf) I need help, I have a bad cut.

It hurts so much.

Bruce) Wait, you pigs didn’t tell me why he was “bothering” you.

Clark+Steve) We were scared and also we don’t like strangers.

Bruce) But he needed medical help, you should have at least tried.

Clark+Steve) Okay we are sorry wolfy

Wolf) Don’t sweat it guys. You were just taking safety precautions, I get it.

Clark+Steve) Thank you for understanding.

Wolf) No problem.

Bruce) LEt us just be friends now.

Wolf) alright pal.

Clark+Steve) Yup, what a great day it is.

Wolf) I will remember this day forever.

Clark) Me too Mr.Wolf.

Wolf) No call me Kyle

Steve) Okay Kyle.

Create:

<iframe allowtransparency="true" width="485" height="402" src="http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/embed/21655994/?autostart=false" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>     

Action Plan

Story Boards

Act 1

Screen Shot 2014-05-04 at 3.15.19 PM.png

Act 2

Look down for Act 2

Screen Shot 2014-05-04 at 3.18.07 PM.png

Act 3 (Big Decision)

Screen Shot 2014-05-04 at 3.19.56 PM.png

Evaluate

Developer Journal# 1 out of 1

Time) 4pm to 9:14pm

Date) May 5 2014

Problems) Well timing was what made this a bit difficult. I did this in the last minute unaware of this animation/project being due tomorrow. Lack tim made me become unable to go over flaws and make the project much more perfect.

Solutions) Saving time and making the project very good I used sprites and backgrounds by other people ( and gave them credit) to make my animation look better and save time.

Improvements) Well, I could’ve added sounds and more actions, but overall I think I did pretty good. But I could have included more dialogue also.

Differences) I had to change my original script because it would have been longer about 3 to 4 minutes. I also changed my credits because I forgot to mention which 3 little pigs version did I use, so I edited my “Credits” Sprite.

I also at one point forgot how to make an action occur when a sprite is clicked, so I used the if click conditional block, but nothing happened. But then I found the control block if this sprite is clicked.

"Blue Beard" by Charles Perrault (Interactive Version)

by: 19phanp
"Blue Beard" by Charles Perrault
"Blue Beard" Act 1
"Blue Beard" Act 2a
"Blue Beard" Act 2b

A: Interactive

Title: Blue Beard
Author: Charles Perrault

Link:
http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/perrault03.html

Main character:
The young women who marries Blue Beard

Moral/Ethical Decision:
The young woman is given a set of keys to all the rooms in Blue Beard’s estate. She is strictly told not to use one of the keys to unlock one of the doors. Finally out of great curiosity, she opens the door to find blood everywhere and the murdered past wives of Blue Beard. Decision was whether or not to open the door or not; whether to obey her husband or not.

Choice and Consequence:
Before leaving, Blue Beard warns the wife never to open a specific door. Out of overwhelming curiosity, the young opens the door. The young woman opens the door to find the murdered past wives of Blue Beard who have mysteriously gone missing. She is shocked and drops the key, landing on some blood. She quickly takes the key and leaves the room. After, in vain, she tries to wipe the blood off the key, but due to some sorcery, the blood is permanently stuck on. When Blue Beard returns, he asks for his keys back, and she gives him all the keys but the enchanted one. When asked for the key, she says she has forgotten it up stairs, and runs up and gets it. Knowing she will get dire consequences, she warns her sister to look out for her brothers, who were to arrive that day. She goes back downstairs, and gives Blue Beard the key, and when he sees the blood, he threatens to kill her. She begs for a moment in which she can say her prayers, and she runs upstairs. He calls her down, yanks her by her hair, with a blade to her throat. He is about to kil her when her brothers arrive and because of the shock of seeing her brothers, whom are a dragon and a musketeer, he lets go of her. He then proceeds to run for his life, but is killed. All his riches go to the young woman, and she gets a fine husband, but is forever traumatized by this experience.

Alternate Ending:
An alternate ending is if the young woman doesn’t open the door and does obey her husband’s wishes. She can continue to live the wondrous life with him she had before where she could host parties and have fun without a care if she had not opened the door and give in to curiosity.

Moral(s):
-Sometimes, you do not need to know everything. (she needed to know what was behind the door)
-Do not give in to curiosity. (extremely traumatized because she did give in)
-Obey orders/commands. (from Blue Beard)

B: Design

Story Script
(for “Blue Beard”)

Characters:
Blue Beard: secondary character
Anne: secondary character
Brothers: secondary characters
Preacher: Unimportant character
Helen: main character

Setting(1):
Countryside
Setting(2):
Wedding Chapel (inside)
Setting(3):
Manor

Script:
[Setting 1]
{Helen enters}
Helen: Oh dear! Look who it is! It’s Blue Beard! Whatever has happened to his latest wife? Have all his wives disappeared?
{Blue Beard (B.B.) enters}
Blue Beard: Do not be frightened my dear darling, do not let my appearance deceive you, for I am all but a mere man.
Helen: Oh but your beard is so blue!
B.B.: Silence, my dear, for I am not who you think I am…
{B.B. grabs her hand and dances with her away… montage plays after they exit stage of them having a picnic, him charming her, her laughing, etc…}

[Setting 2]
{Both B.B. and Helen stand together with a preacher behind them, wedding day}
Preacher: So do you, Sir Blue Beard, take Helen as your lawfully wedded wife?
B.B.: I do.
Preacher: And do you, Helen, take Blue Beard a your lawfully wedded husband?
Helen: I do.
Preacher: You may kiss the bride.
(optional^)

[Setting 3]
{B.B. is speaking to Helen}
B.B.: I must leave for a week. Here are all the keys. You may do as you wish while I am not here, but do not use the smallest key to open the door at the end of the hall. You may go to any other room but that room. If you do, I will be forever angry at you. Understood?
Helen: Yes, my love.
[B.B. leaves]
[Helen stares at the smallest key then at door]
Helen: (thought bubble,interactive) Should I open the door or not? (Yes, no)

Viewer Interaction:
[Helen thinks this then text box below appears,and then wait for yes or no to be typed in]
or
Helen: Click the door if I should open it, click me if I shouldn’t open the door.

Storyboards:
See pictures above

C: Plan

Action Plan:
Labor: credits
Money: $0
Time: 3 hours
Materials: Sprites, backgrounds, sounds
Tools: Internet, Scratch, Computer
Location: Home, School

Procedure-
1) Start on the beginning
2) Take one thing at a time; follow the script.
3) Finish off everything with credits.
4) Make sure it runs smoothly, go over it several times.

D: Create
Developer’s Journal:

Session 1: At home, 8:40pm, May 4, 2014

*8:00pm-9:00pm, 1 hour
*Created first part of animation, before the decision.
*No changes or difficulties so far.

Session 2: At home, 4:20pm, May 5, 2014

*4:20pm-6;40pm, 2 hours
*Finished all of project.
*No changes made. No difficulties encountered.

E: Evaluate

My animation follows the requirements in the following ways:

1) The story animation is slightly longer than two minutes in total, not including both branches. The beginning introduction is 1 minute and both branches are one minute each.
2) The viewer can choose whether or not to open the door at the end of the hall. This can also be interpreted as whether the viewer should listen to Blue Beard’s orders/commands. This decision needs to be typed in and decided by the viewer.
3) This decision is an ethical decision through the fact that the viewer is deciding whether to obey Blue Beard, or to satisfy their curiosity by opening the door. In this animation, the positive ending occurs when the viewer decides to ignore their curiosity and be obedient.
4) There are two different decisions, to open the door or not, and from these decisions, the viewer gets two different endings.
5) These outcomes are either positive or negative. When the viewer obeys to Blue Beard’s commands, they are rewarded and live a plentiful life afterwards. When the viewer disobeys the commands, the viewer gets traumatized and almost dies.
6) I gave credit at the end of the animation.

Both my storyboard and script were thorough and to the point, without any extra bells and whistles. They were completed and included everything that was basic and necessary for the animation.

No (will not open door, positive) Yes (will open door, negative)
Helen: Fine, I will listen to my dear and not open the door.
[B.B. returns]
B.B.: May I have the keys?
[Hands over keys]
B.B.: I see you have been faithful, and did not open the door. For this, you will not suffer the same fate as my other wives had, and you will be greatly rewarded.
[Montage: happy stuff, like balls, lavish dinners and dresses, friends, riches, more]
CREDITS
[Helen opens the door, black screen appears with words: “Inside, Helen finds all the corpses of Blue Beard’s past wives, all brutally stabbed and murdered. In shock, Helen drops the key. She hastily picks the key up, now with some blood on it, and exits the room. Few days pass, and the blood stain remains upon the key, no matter how hard Helen tries to scrub it off.”B.B. then returns.]
B.B.: May I have the keys?
[Helen, pale, hands over the set of keys.]
B.B.: You have failed me! For this, you shall suffer the same fate as the others have!
Helen: No please! Let me say my prayers at least!
B.B.: You have five minutes!
[Helen runs upstairs(B.B. exits stage and Anne enters stage) to her visiting sister Anne,]
Anne: Oh brothers, come quick!
[Anne exits and B.B. appears]
B.B.: Time is up!
[Takes out knife/dagger/sword, and holds it to Helen’s neck]
Anne: I see them, I see them!
[Brothers burst into room and B.B. disappears, screen fades to dark and says, “Helen is forever traumatized by what she saw in the room down the hall and her near death experience.”]
CREDITS

by: Anonymous

(A) Investigate: Choose my story

e) Choices:

f) Alternate Endings:

g) What is the ethical lesson?

(B) Design

Story Script

Sprite1: Wolf

Sprite 2: Pig 1 Clark

Sprite3: Pig 2 Steve

Sprite4: Pig 3 Bruce

Scene 1

Wolf) [On the left of the stage]

Scene 2

Wolf) [On the left] Will be alert

WOlf) No Clark--

Clark) Why should I believe you. HUh!!

Wolf) But it hurts a lot.

Clark) What hurts alot?!?

Scene 3

Wolf) [On the left]

WOlf) No Steve, I have to---

Clark) YEa!! Steve is right!!

Steve)

Scene 4

Decision:

or

[Negative]

[Positive]

3….2….1...BOOOM!!!!!

[All pigs are surprised]

Wolf) What do you mean?

Bruce) How would you verify that?

Wolf) Umm, because all I need was help.

[Shoots the laser]

Wolf) OWWW!!!!

Wolf) Sorry I w

Wolf) I need help, I have a bad cut.

It hurts so much.

Clark+Steve) Okay we are sorry wolfy

Wolf) No problem.

Bruce) LEt us just be friends now.

Wolf) alright pal.

Wolf) I will remember this day forever.

Clark) Me too Mr.Wolf.

Wolf) No call me Kyle

Steve) Okay Kyle.

Create:

Action Plan

Story Boards

Act 1

Act 2

Look down for Act 2

Act 3 (Big Decision)

Evaluate

Developer Journal# 1 out of 1

Time) 4pm to 9:14pm

Date) May 5 2014

Dear As Salt by Maria Gianferrari and David Galchutt

by: 19noorA
Dear as Salt
Tech 7-1 Unit Project Act 1
Tech 7-1 Unit Project Act 2A
Tech 7-1 Unit Project Act 2B

Link to the story:
b) https://classroom.highlights.com/teacher-toolbox/print-and-read-stories-...
c)The authors are Maria Gianferrari and David Galchutt.
d) In the story “Dear as Salt” the main characters are the the King and his youngest daughter Zizola.
e) The ethical decision here is the King not valuing or appreciating Zizola’s gift.
f) In the story, Zizola’s present to her dad is a container of salt. The King was furious and sad. Zizola’s other two sisters gave pearls and diamonds and all she gave was salt. Later, when the King held a banquet Zizola cooked his food but didn’t put any salt. Thus, the king had to eat tasteless food. Later, when the banquet was almost done Zizola stepped out and sprinkled some salt on her father’s food. He then realized that he was missing salt in his food and thanked Zizola and understood the true meaning of her gift.
CHOICE: The king doesn’t appreciate his daughter’s birthday present to him and therefore thinks that her present is useless or ordinary.
CONSEQUENCE: As a consequence of not understanding the value of salt his youngest daughter Zizola didn’t put any salt in his meal and he couldn’t enjoy any part of his meal until Zizola came and sprinkled some salt on it.
g) ALTERNATE ENDING:
Zizola walked up to the King. “Happy Birthday Father.” “I hope you like my gift.” Zizola said beaming. She went to the King and handed him a simple purple box with Zizola written in script. The King greedily opened the box. Inside was a small container full of white powder. “Salt is my gift. What a thoughtful gift to give!”
“Yes father, salt is a very special gift. In the kitchen salt is a key ingredient for cooking. Without it your food would be tasteless.” Zizola says still smiling.
“I remember when your mother first took me to the kitchen, she showed me how to make rice and the main thing she used was salt.” The King says happily.
“See father, salt is very special. It brings back your old memories and is very useful because it makes food taste good.”
“I will never underestimate your gifts again, because I see they are very thoughtful.” The King says.
“I am so glad you appreciate my present now.” Zizola said and they lived happily ever after.

DESIGN PHASE: PART B
Characters:
1) Zizola the King’s youngest daughter.
2) The King
Supporting Characters:
1) Bruna and Bianca-----Sisters of Zizola.
2) Perina----Cook
Scenes:
1) The main hall where the king is sitting on his throne.
2) Zizola’s bedroom
3) The Kitchen
4) The Dining Hall

SCRIPT:
[Zizola enters center stage, Bruna enters stage left, Bianca enters stage right.]
(Scene changes to the main hall.)
Zizola: Today is Papa’s birthday!
Bruna: I know Papa will love my gift! I made the messengers search and search for the black pearls until they found it. And it isn’t any black pearl but the rarest and most beautiful ones.
Bianca: Ha! Oh silly Bruna! We all know Papa will love my gift the most. Diamonds are the most prized possessions. Mama used to love diamonds. So father will love my gift the most because it reminds him of Mama.
[Both Bianca and Bruna turn to Zizola.]
Bianca: Well, Zizola what did you get for father?
Zizola: My gift isn’t as exquisite as diamonds or pearls. But it is still very important.
Bruna: Well, what is it?
Zizola: It is simply just a container of salt.
Bianca: Salt?!?!?! How could you give such an ordinary gift to the King?
Bruna: What a silly girl you are Zizola! Salt is only special to the peasants or common workers. We are princesses, salt isn’t special to us.
Bianca: Papa will dislike your gift very much, Zizola.
Bruna: There is still time, you can grab another gift from your room. We will tell Papa you left it there by accident.
Bianca: Yes, you can give him gold coins or…..
Bruna: Or emeralds, even sapphires.
Bianca: Oh, I know! Papa really loves that ruby Mama gave you. He would want that.
Zizola: You are both very kind for offering to ideas of a more luxurious gift from me, but I would have to say no thank you. I think Papa will appreciate my gift of salt.
Bruna: Appreciate, he won’t go close to appreciate.
Bianca: Bruna, we warned her and she won’t listen, so we can’t do anything else.
[The three daughters walk up to the King sitting on his throne.]
[Bianca steps forward]
Bianca: Happy Birthday Papa. To show my love for you I have brought diamonds and not just any diamonds I have brought diamonds that are mined from caverns deep in the sea. Precious undersea diamonds. That is how much I love you.
[Bruna steps forward.]
Bruna: Happy birthday, dearest Papa. You are far more valuable to me than mere diamonds. My love for you is as rare as black pearls. Found only in Tahiti, my gift proves my extraordinary love for you.
King: You both have showed extraordinary love for me. [Glances toward Zizola.] What have you brought for me dearest Zizola?
Bianca: (Whispers to Zizola) We warned you, Zizola.
Zizola: [Steps a little closer and gives her father a box.] Ciao, Papà! Happy birthday!
King: Are there rubies in that box of yours?
Zizola: No, Papà.
King: Are there emeralds?
Zizola: No, Papà.
King: (The king frowns) Sapphires?
Zizola: No, Papà.
King: (Opens the box.) Salt!

Appreciate the Gift Don't Appreciate the Gift
Zizola: Yes Papa, salt is a very special gift. In the kitchen salt is a key ingredient for cooking. Without it your food would be tasteless.
King: But why would I need it I don’t cook.
Zizola: As I said, without salt food would be tasteless and ‘empty’ and without you my life would be empty too.
King: Oh Zizola, you think of the most simplest gifts with the largest meanings. You remind of your mother. She used to be like that.
Zizola: See father, salt is very special. It brings back your old memories and is very useful because it makes food taste good.
Bruna: That’s not true! Salt isn’t special at all. Why father, it is commonplace.
Bianca: Bruna is right Papa. Even the poorest of the poor can afford…...salt!
Zizola: That isn’t true. Salt is very special. Without it you would never be able to like food.
Bruna: Humph! You believe what you want Papa, but salt isn’t special at all!
(Bruna and Bianca exit the stage.)
King: Zizola, I appreciate your gift of salt, but perhaps you would care to explain why it is so important.
Zizola: When I was little and Mama was still alive she told me the story of salt and how it came to be. She told me that because she knew that out of the three of us I would be the one to cook.
King: Well, what story did she tell you?
Zizola: Long ago, far far away there was a village in China called Yuncheng. The whole village was angry because they had nothing to season their food with. What they needed was salt. But nobody had any salt because the salt lake near the village didn’t have any more salt. What they didn’t know was that a young man was hoarding all the salt. And not any young man but the emperor’s son. The emperor's son was out of salt because so many people were using it for their own food and he wanted some too. So, everyday before dawn he woke up and mined in the salt mine to get salt. Then when he finished he dragged it to the palace where he stored and ate it for himself. The people eventually found out and because of that he was kicked out of the palace and never got one grain of salt in his life again. So, now you see how important salt was to people in Yuncheng, China.
King: Wow, Zizola your gifts are so thoughtful. I will always remember them.
Moral: Even the smallest gifts have large meanings.
Zizola: You’re as dear as salt Papà!
King: Dear as salt? Your sisters’ love is as priceless as diamonds, precious as pearls, and your love is only worth salt? If you must give me something edible, I expect caviar, truffles - not salt.
Zizola: But salt is……
King: Commonplace. Now go to your room.
Zizola: But I hoped to help Perina…..
King: Enough! I believe that you need some time to consider what your gift says about your love for me. And take the salt with you!
[Scene changes to Zizola’s bedroom.]
Zizola: Why can’t Papa understand? (Lies in bed)
Perina: (Knocks on door.)
Zizola: Come in!
Perina: Ciao Zizola!
Zizola: Perina, I need your help. My gift to my father will be to prepare a special dinner—fit for a king! And I’m going to serve it to him!
Perina: What are you up to Zizola???
Zizola: You’ll see!
(Scene change to the Kitchen.)
(Zizola went to the kitchen with Perina and made three different dishes and for each dish she prepared a separate portion for her father without salt.)
(Scene change to the Dining Hall.)
Random Queen: Is someone missing?
King: Zizola, my youngest. (Sad face)
Bruna: She gave our father salt as a birthday gift.
Bianca: My father is as dear as diamonds to me!
Bruna: My father is as dear as black pearls to me.
(The torta fritta comes out.)
King: Buon Appetito! Eat! Eat!
(Bites into the torta fritta then spits it into his napkin. Took one sip of the cappelletti and lastly came the arista. The King’s favorite dish. He placed a small piece on his tongue and chewed the bland meat. Tastes some from Bianca’s plate.)
King: What’s wrong with my food? It...it is missing something?
Zizola: (Steps forward.) My father is as dear as salt.
King: Zizola, is that you?
Zizola: Si, Papa. Salt???
King: How could I have been so blind?
King: Such a clever girl! Thank you for such a worthy birthday present! I am happy to be as dear as alt to you Zizola.
Moral: The simplest gifts can turn out to be the most precious.

PROJECT PLAN
Resources:
Tools: Scratch, Computer, Internet access.
Materials: Sprites, Scratch, Backgrounds, and Google Images.
Labor: I will be doing all the work by myself for this project.
Location: I am making this all at my house and some at school if I get time.
Time: I am hoping to take no more than 3 hours on this project.
Money: I plan on spending no money.
ACTION PLAN
Schedule: I am planning to finish the storyboards and script editing today on 4/27/14. I also plan to start animating this project near the end of next week probably Saturday morning in one to two sittings.
Steps: I am making my script by using Scratch blocks and images from Google.

DEVELOPER’S JOURNAL:
Session #: 1
Date: 4/29/14
Time: 10:10 A.M.-10:20 A.M.
Location: Technology Room

I started my Scratch animation by downloading all my characters from Storyboard That and then uploading them onto Scratch. I also started writing the scripts on Scratch and I got up to the line “Well, Zizola what did you get for father?”

Session #: 2
Date: 5/1/14
Time: 10:00 P.M.-10:20 A.M.
Location: Technology Room

I just wrote more of my script on Scratch and I didn't edit any of the words. I ended at the line “There is still time, you can grab another gift from your room. We will tell Papa you left it there by accident.”

Session #: 3
Date: 5/3/14
Time: 9:30 P.M.-10:15 P.M.
Location: Living Room

For this session I finished my first scene including the moral. I didn’t change any of the words but the punctuation might be different.

Session #: 4
Date: 5/4/14
Time: 12:00 P.M.-1:30 P.M.
Location: Living Room

For this session I finished animating my first decision and I very slightly changed the wording of a sentence. I also asked Joy to help me branch out my decisions because when I did it, it didn’t work so she showed me another method which helped me and was really easy.

Session #: 5
Date: 5/4/14
Time: 6:30 P.M.- 9:45 P.M.
Location: Living Room

For this session I finished the whole project and tweaked it a little so I could add all the backgrounds and props. I also fell into a small problem where my character couldn’t speak but then I immediately saw that I broadcasted the wrong quote, so it was easy to fix. I then uploaded it to Scratch at 9:50 P.M.

Session #: 6
Date: 5/5/14
Time: 10:00 A.M.-10.10 A.M.
Location: Technology Room

For this session I replayed my animation and tweaked the credits to add the people who helped and changed the positions of some of the characters. I then uploaded it as a remix.

Evaluation
My project follows all the requirements for the design specification. Because it is more than 2 minutes long including one of the decisions. The story is also interactive because the viewer gets to pick the choice he/she wants. The story branches off into exactly 2 branches with different endings. Both outcomes tell a lesson of both positive and negative ethical choices. The story up to the decision is more than a minute and both of the decisions are each more than or equal to a minute. My story gives credits for the images and is appropriate for kids younger than 13. But I forgot to give credit to the website I got my story from which is the highlights kids magazine. But I later fixed that and uploaded it in class.

My script was also very similar to my Scratch project and I only adjusted a few words in some of the lines to make it look better and a few different punctuation symbols but besides that it was the same as my animation. My storyboard followed my project closely too but didn’t have all the dialogue. It only used the main dialogue.

"The Fox and the Crow" by Aesop

by: 19enga

Resources:
-Tools:
Scratch Program
Computer
WiFi
Flash Drive
-Materials:
Scratch sprites
Crow image (http://www.clker.com/clipart-183793.html)
“The Fox and the Crow” (http://aesopfables.com/cgi/aesop1.cgi?2&TheFoxandtheCrow2)
-Labor:
-Credits: no outside help, links above
-Location:
~School Tech Room
~Home
-Time:
WORK at least two hours a day, so procrastinating can be avoided.
-Money:
Budget: $0
ACTION PLAN:
SCHEDULE:
work at least 2 hours a week at:
library
tech room
home
Steps!
Open/install scratch and other software needed
have all pictures/tangible resources/tools ready to use.
Work on scratch/ put credits once complete
upload and make any finishing touches!

A: Investigate:
I chose the story “The Fox and the Crow”
http://aesopfables.com/cgi/aesop1.cgi?2&TheFoxandtheCrow2
Author: Aesop
“A Fox once saw a Crow fly off with a piece of cheese in its
beak and settle on a branch of a tree. "That's for me, as I am a
Fox," said Master Reynard, and he walked up to the foot of the
tree. "Good-day, Mistress Crow," he cried. "How well you are
looking to-day: how glossy your feathers; how bright your eye. I
feel sure your voice must surpass that of other birds, just as
your figure does; let me hear but one song from you that I may
greet you as the Queen of Birds." The Crow lifted up her head and
began to caw her best, but the moment she opened her mouth the
piece of cheese fell to the ground, only to be snapped up by
Master Fox. "That will do," said he. "That was all I wanted. In
exchange for your cheese I will give you a piece of advice for the
future:”

"Do not trust flatterers."

The main character: The crow
Important decision: The crow decided to impress the fox, dropping the cheese in her beak and losing it to the fox.
Choice and consequence: “The Crow lifted up her head and began to caw her best, but the moment she opened her mouth the piece of cheese fell to the ground, only to be snapped up by Master Fox.”
Alternate ending: The crow decides, “You flatter me just to take my benefits, and I shall take my leave now.” The crow flies away and leaves the fox empty-handed.
B: Design
Script:
CHARACTERS:
Narrator
Fox
Crow
SCENE 1
Fox: Oh look,there’s the crow that always squawks all the time.
[Fox walks in from left]
[Crow comes from right]
Crow: I should go to the barn today…
Fox: Oh, what are you doing today, Crow?
Crow: I want to go to the barn today.
Fox: But Why, Crow?
Crow: I want to see if I can find anything interesting.
Fox: Oh, but what a waste of time! What a silly bird you are.
Crow: Hm, well I never asked for your opinion, Fox.
Fox: Fine then, be rude. Don’t be mad if you find you wasted your time.
Crow: Well, I would rather waste my time doing something away from you.
Fox: How dare you…. Good day, Crow!
Crow: Very well. Good day.
[crow moves to right stage.]
[Fox moves to left stage]
Fox: What a loud and silly Crow she is!
Crow: What a rude fox! I hope I don’t run into him on my way back.
Fox:[leaves stage]
Crow:[leaves stage]
SCENE 2
Fox: [thinks]Oh… I’m so hungry, but there’s nothing I really see I want…
[Crow flies from right]
Crow: This is great! I was able to find a piece of cheese near the farmer today! I’m glad I didn’t get caught.
Fox: [thinks]Hmm… that cheese does look quite delicious…
Crow:Well, I need to hurry back, and maybe I can find some other things on the way!
Fox:[thinks] Let’s see if I can get that cheese…
Crow: Oh, hello again Fox. How are you?
[Fox goes towards Crow]
Fox: I’m doing quite well, now that you’re here.
Crow:[thinks] Why is he being so nice all of a sudden?
Fox: [thinks]Hopefully Crow falls for my trick.
Crow: Oh, you flatter me, Fox.
Fox: Beautiful words for a beautiful bird, miss Crow.
Crow: Please, you would never flatter me.
Fox: You’re much too modest! Accept my praise!
Crow: Thank you, Fox.
Fox: You are most welcome!
Crow: Many have said that I am also a most wonderful singer.
Fox: I’m sure they are correct! Please, do sing for me.
Crow: Well, I do need to get back to my home though…
Fox: Oh, please let me listen, just for a little while.
Crow: But Fox, I am pressed for time.
Fox: Please, please Crow!

Decision: Should the crow sing for the fox? (Crow:Should I sing for the fox?) [yes or no]

Yes:
Crow: Well, I suppose I could sing, just for a little while…
Fox: [thinks] Yes! The cheese is mine! Silly crow.
Crow: Okay, what song shall I sing?
Fox: Umm, anything! I’m sure it will sound amazing, Crow.
Crow: [thinks] Wow, to think that after just a short time he would act so much nicer to me.
Fox: Hurry Crow, for I am eagerly waiting to hear the song!
Crow: [thinks]I’ll sing him one of my favorite songs, then.
Fox:[Thinks] This is too easy.
Crow: Alright, here I go!
Fox:[thinks] The cheese is mine.
Crow: [drops cheese] [starts to sing]
Fox:[picks up cheese] Thank you, dear Crow.
Crow: Oh no! You sneaky liar!
Fox: Well, it was a pleasure, Crow.
Crow: You lying, no-good-
Fox: Don’t waste your breath. It was your fault anyway.
Crow: You rude fox! Good day!
Fox: It was a pleasure.
Crow: Hmph!
[fox and crow leave stage]
No:
Crow: Actually, why the sudden change in attitude?
Fox: Well, I feel bad and I would like to make up for it.
Crow: I don’t think that’s your real reason, Fox.
Fox: OH, but it is!
Crow: I don’t believe you, Fox.
Fox: [thinks] Come on, you stubborn crow! Just drop the cheese already!
Crow: Fox, are you okay?
Fox: It’s my real reason!
Crow: …Are you sure?
Fox: Of course, Crow!
Crow: Fox… you just want the cheese I have, don’t you?
Fox: [nervously] No, Crow! That’s not what I mean!
Crow: Yes it is! First you treat me rudely, and now you try to take advantage of me?
Fox: No, that’s not it-
Crow: So then, what is it?
Fox: Well, I-
Crow: Well, I’m sorry, but I shall take my leave if you are planning to sabotage me.
Fox: I’m not trying to sabotage you…
Crow: Whatever, you liar! Goodbye!
[crow moves to right]
Fox: Alright… I guess that will be the last of it.
[Fox leaves stage]
Crow:[thinks] How cruel! At least I wasn’t fooled by Fox.
Crow leaves stage]
Create:
~Developer’s Journal:
4/29/14 Tech Room 10:24 am (one hour)
Summary: I finished my storyboards and got the overall setting, layout and sprites ready to program for my project.
Problems: No problems as of yet…

5/1/2014 Tech Room 10:17 am (one hour)
Summary: I finished getting my backgrounds coordinated, and I was able to get my sprites coordinated and placed on the stage with a broadcast script ready.
Problems: None as of yet…

5/3/2014 home 11:50 pm (6 hours)
I was able to complete everything! I finished with no problems, so everything was really a solution.

Evaluate:
My final product met the requirements and constraints closely, because they either fulfilled or exceeded each aspect required for my design. My story animation is in total around 3 minutes long, while the story only needed to be at least 2 minutes long. Furthermore, the story and animation leading up to the main character is at least a minute long, and each of the two “branches” after the decision in the story is made exceeds one minute. In addition, the story is interactive, and the user’s answer affects the main character’s decision and the outcome of the story. The outcome also depicts an ethical decision, because in my story if the main character doesn’t make a rational decision she loses a possession. This also depicts both positive and negative consequences depending on the user’s interactive answer.
For the constraints of my project, I successfully gave credit to the story my scratch animation was based off of and any pictures I used outside of the scratch program. In addition, I successfully incorporated the credits for my project at the end of my animation. MY story is also appropriate for users under 13 years old, and it was done and completed by the given due date.
My script and storyboard follows the guidelines and the animation as well, because they both matched and helped create the interactive branches of my story. In my script there are two different endings, and the script depicts that. Furthermore, my script gives a clear consequence for both available decisions in my story. My storyboard also does this because it displays an idea of what the animation would look like, and what would happen as the story unfolds. The storyboard also shows what the characters would look like in the finished product as a way for the viewer to visualize what’s happening in both the animation and the story itself.