All news in Gaming and New Media

Become a Mathematician

by: 20mancham

Investigate

Group Name: ScratchGameTeam

Group Project Embed Code: <iframe allowtransparency="true" width="485" height="402" src="//scratch.mit.edu/projects/embed/63610990/?autostart=false" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Plan: 3 different mini games with three math lessons. 2 of the minigames will be platformer games. 1 of the games will be a side-scroller game. There will also be a boss level, where all 3 topics/academic fields will be integrated into a major level. The final level will require the player to combine all 3 of the topics of the knowledge he has acquired thus far and combine them to fight through the several stages to combat a huge graduation diploma.

Objective: Finish a math topic successfully in order to unlock two more units of “math class” to win the game and earn a diploma.

Manaswi: Physics

Bianca: Geometry

Christie: Order of Operations/Basic Pre-Algebra

Plan: In order to achieve her/his goals and in order to become a mathematician, a boy needs to complete three math units.

Objective: Score at least 75 knowledge points out of a total of 100 in each of the three units of mathematics in order to become a mathematician.

Design

Manaswi

Game Mechanics:

Rules-

Kill all the enemies.

Get all the mini-graduation diplomas.

Kill the huge graduation diploma.

Not die.

Game play- Use the game controls to overcome bosses and correctly answer the questions to pass units.

User interface/Game controls- Space= shoot to overcome boss, left key= move left, right key= move right, forward key= jump, and backward key = crouch.

Objective: The main character has to score at least 75 knowledge points out of a total of 100 and not lose all it knowledge saves

Story- A boy wishes of someday becoming a mathematician. In order to achieve his dream, he knows that he will have to get good grades and answer questions correctly.

Characters-1 boy with black hair and is holding a gun

Levels-There will be 3 different major levels

Obstacles:

Bosses-

college students

university officials

Graduation diploma

Puzzles/riddles/questions/traps- There will be questions throughout each unit and then one final question at the end of each unit. You have three lives until you lose all your knowledge so the bosses kill you.

Leveling up- After each level, you will gain new knowledge; this knowledge will later be applied to kill the diploma. Each correct answer will let you continue on with the game for different stages and each final question about the unit will take you into the next level.

Chrome:

Art/Graphics- Sprites will come from Google Images. The background will be the images of the Harvard University campus. Sprites may come from Scratch or be hand-drawn.

Sound/Music/Sound Effects-Sound will come from Scratch.

Group

Game Mechanics:

Rules-

Game play-

User Interface/Game Controls-

Objective: The character has to pass all three units to earn a certificate and become a mathematician

Story- A boy wishes of someday becoming a mathematician. In order to achieve his/her dream, he knows that he will have to get good grades and answer questions correctly.

Characters- 1 boy with black hair and is holding a book and the levels will have enemies

Levels- There will be 3 different major levels.

Obstacles:

Bosses- Enemy sprites that try to take you lives if they come into contact with you

Puzzles/riddles/questions/traps- At the end of each individual game, question(s) will be asked that tests your knowledge of the unit.

Leveling up-  By answering the questions correctly you move on to the next unit.

Chrome:

Art/Graphics:Sprites and backgrounds will all come from Scratch or be hand-drawn.

Sound/Music/Sound Effects-

Manaswi-Sound will come from Scratch.

Plan - 

Resources:

Tools - Scratch, Google, Computer, Creative Commons

Materials -

Location - School, Google Hangouts

Time - 12 days

Money - $0

Labor -

Manaswi

Bianca

Christie

Action Plan:

Gantt Chart:

Manaswi

Bianca

Christie

Task

5/21

5/22

5/23

5/24

5/25

5/26

5/27

5/28

5/29

5/310

5/3

11

6/1

12

Unavailable

Main Character

General Backgrounds (without written information)

Enemy Sprite

Manaswi’s Individual Project  and import scripts to the group project

Bianca's Individual project  and import scripts to the group project

Christie’s Individual Project and Import Scripts to the Group Project

Create Title Page and combine to 1rst scripts

Combine 2nd and 3rd Scripts

Create Credits Roll and combine with 3rd script

Create

Group Log: 5/22 9:45-10:15 BSGE

Manaswi;

We met up today to discuss how we should complete the project. We did not get to start upon our individual projects today. We only conversed regarding who should do what things and the workload. There were numerous disagreements, particularly regarding who should integrate all the individual levels. In the resolution, I had decided to converse with Mr. Shantanu regarding this matter. This will settle the debate of who will do the individual level combining occupation.

Bianca

We did not do any work but we did discuss the jobs and how we should do the project we had disagreements about:

The workload organization

how we should do our jobs

Some solutions would be to have more time to work together and make compromises. Also make the rule of not being allowed to change each other's work

Christie

We discussed the tasks each person was supposed to do, despite the fact that we had already settled it yesterday night. Therefore, we couldn’t start on our individual project. A solution to this is that Bianca and I may make plans to meet with Shantanu after school.

Group Log: 5/22 2:10-2:45 BSGE:

Manaswi:

I sat down with the administrator and the group. The group and I debated about the amount of work that each person would get and I endeavored to determine a way to determine a compromise. Everyone was present and they all gave accounts upon their behalf. The main conflict was that I was getting too much work, while the others had barely any work. I was getting the harder work. The others debated that we all had equal work. In the aftermath, the resolution was reached. The consensus was inevitable. Mr. Shantanu was aiding us and advising us regarding the compromise. Everyone had to obey to the principles of equality. The resolution was that a consensus was reached that I would do 2 middle transitions, one person would do the title sequence and the first transition and another person would do the credits and the last transition.

Bianca:

We all sat down with Shantanu and described our issues then each came up with different possible compromises and then agreed on a final compromise that would balance the workload. Some disagreements were to convince each other these compromises would work and that they were fair when looking at the whole project and the division of work. A solution to these disagreements was Shantanu explaining his understandings of our ideas and showing the part with common sense while also including his own suggestions. Another solution was trying to elaborate and fully describe our own ideas.

Christie

My group met up with Shantanu after school and discussed our issues with the group we were dedicated to. We conferred our problems and tried to find a solution to who does what work. Shantanu helped us rearrange our schedules and make compromises in order to adapt to what the rest of my group can do around their own schedules. We settled upon splitting the combination of the scripts for more than one person to do, along with another task to ensure that each member of my group is contributing to the group project.

Manaswi’s Developer’s Log 5/24/2015 5:00-8:00 P.M. BSGE

I have successfully completed the main character that will be utilized in creating the final integrated group work. The main character is essential for without the main character, there will be no opportunity for the players to experience the game, which will be done through the main character. In order for my group members to working on their individual projects, I had to create a main character. I created my main character. I utilized the Google Images to determine a suitable protagonist costume. I downloaded the image and then uploaded the image to Scratch. In Scratch, I refined the image and I shared it with my group. 1 conflict that I faced was that Google Chrome was malfunctioning. When I started Google Chrome, the Google Chrome would run properly for sometime and, afterwards, the Google Chrome would shut down automatically and unexpectedly, deleting most of the hard-work that I did. In order to resolve this, I had completed my project in another website browser. In order to be safe, I saved my project more frequently.

Group Log: 6/1 2:15-2:20 BSGE

Manaswi

My clavicle was broken and, therefore, I was not the the physical condition to do all this work. I never made any promises to anybody regarding the finishing of the work by a certain deadline. Scratch is not about typing, it is mainly about moving blocks. I did not break my hand, as I told them numerous times before, I broke my clavicle. I could bearly get up from bed without screaming and crying, I could not hold a laptop and work for hours on end; it was just not possible.

Bianca

Since Manashwi said that he didnt even start his individual project. As a compromise he stated he would finish by 6 pm latest after many disagreements during lunch. But I realized in the past he would say he had many extra curricular activities after school so i  went to Shantenu and asked him what we should do if we can't rely on Manaswi. I  was introduced with the idea of making a group project of just two projects because the idea that Manaswi could finish by 6 pm with his busy schedule was unbelievable. Shantenu said he would be fine with letting christie and I  do the project ourselves but it would be our decision if we wanted to wait for manaswi to see if

he would keep his promise. Christie and I  agreed we would probably do it ourselves. When i  got home i  sent an email informing manashwi about the new conditions and since he didn't respond protesting he wanted to contribute over 2 hours we started the project ourselves

Christie

Bianca told me in school today that Manaswi didn’t even start his individual project, and when we checked it out on the school computers, it was true. His excuse to us is that “I can’t type because of my arm,” but Scratch is not mainly about typing. It’s about scrolling with the blocks. Some typing too, but shouldn’t be that difficult with one hand. And he has his right hand, even better. Bianca and I decided to talk with Shantanu if we could finish our group project ourselves, since we don’t trust Manaswi to finish his on time and combine the projects. Shantanu agreed, but still insisted that Bianca still has to place credit for him for creating the main character sprite. We agreed to Shantanu’s terms.

Group Project: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/63610990/

Group Log: 6/5 10:10-10:25 BSGE

Manaswi

My priorities are to finish my project, upgrade the chrome, and make the game have less lag and glitches.

Bianca

My priorities are to make the music more specific to the energy. And make the enemies and lives work.

Christie

My priorities are to add more chrome.

Tech 7-1 Da_Ninja_Coders (Lia, Winston, Melyssa, Rashmika)

Investigate

Group Concept (Type of Game): We each have different kinds of games, and completely original concepts, all put together into one game.

Each Subject For the Group Member’s Project

Subject

Person Doing the Subject

Type of Game

Science

Rashmika

Side Scroller

Music

Melyssa

Trivia

Humanities

Lia

Strategy

Math

Winston

Platformer

Humanities:

• Characters asking questions to go to their “destiny of a future”

• Time travel

• Trivia

• Strategy

Music:

• Questions about lengths of notes.

• These can be multiple choice or matching.

• Trivia about composers.

• These will definitely be multiple choice.

• Trivia about types of instruments.

• There can correspond a picture of an instrument to the name of the instrument and ask to match them.

• Adding notes.

• This will be like math, only it is about adding the time lengths of notes.

Science:

• Balance points

• Show diagrams and ask about where the balance point is.

• Inquire about newton’s laws.

• First law- ask about inertia

• Second law- Give formulas

• Give a picture of equipment

• When giving these pictures/ images, ask what it is. Provide different names for multiple choice

Design

Humanities:

• Game Mechanics

• Rules

• You have to follow a plan by finding answers to create the correct history for the person you are helping.

• Gameplay

• To do this, the character will be sent to the library and have to answer questions as if they are searching for information. For example, putting a book sprite to ask the questions. By answering correctly, you are able to create one correct path that the person would have followed in history. For instance, a time line.

• User Interface/Game Controls

• The players will interact with the game by answering questions, and picking who they will help. By picking who they will help first they will have to go on a journey for each character or only one of their choosing.

• Objectives

• Story

• Each game begins with the story of one character. As you go on the journey you will create the history that was destined to happen and help the character. The story will end when the character can pick up the pace and make sure the future is not doomed.

• Characters

• The characters could range from the American Revolution to the Civil War. For example, George Washington or Harriet Tubman.

• Levels

• The levels will consist of how well you complete a character’s journey. If you choose, you can only help one, two, or all three.

• Obstacles

• Bosses

• The bosses will be the people trying to take the characters and mess up their history so the future could be messed up.

• Puzzles

• You will have to answer questions on events to go on the quest.

• Level up:

• You level up when you get an answer correctly and you progress.

• Chrome

• Art Graphics

• Famous historical figures

• You/ the navigator

• A map to get around

• Sounds/ Music

• No music

• Academic Content

• Everything was mentioned.

Science:  

• Game Mechanics

• The player is playing as a guy with a jetpack. The arrow keys will move this player. There will be a question and a few choices. The choices will be placed at different parts of the screen and the player will move their character to the answer they think is correct.

• The rules are to go on the correct answer so that you can gain points and possibly level up.

• Objective

• The objective of each level is to get to a certain point range to pass it by answering all the questions correctly.

• You try to save the world fro the evil unicorns with your genius powers.

• Obstacles

• There are unicorns and when you hit them, you lose points which keep you from saving the world and leveling up. The number of unicorns increases as the levels do.

• Chrome

• The graphics, the background is just blue, but the unicorns leave a trail of rainbows.

• The sound effects that the player makes when they use the jetpack.

• Story line: You are a genius and have the same iq as Albert Einstein. You have to save the world from unicorns by using your genius powers.

• The subject: Science

Math:

• Story

• Jake loved playing hookie, and whenever he played hookie, he always went to the park. At the park, he would always do parkour, and he soon became really good at it. However, he had to go to school, and he was failing math. The teacher, furious, sent him into a game stimulation in the past, to solve math problems. However, the teacher luckily loved irony, so she decided to make the game stimulate parkour, something that she knew that Jake loved, but with a catch. Jake had to parkour up to what the answers to the questions were, and if he got them wrong, game over, and he would be trapped in the game forever.

• Obstacles

• The platforming jumps are not going to be very easy. The obstacles however, are going to be the incorrect answers. For some stages, you will need to jump over the wrong answers, while in other stages, the wrong answers might be a decoy. At the end, I’m thinking of including a boss that would shoot out a bunch of answers, and you have to jump over the wrong answers, and touch the right answers to damage the boss. However, I’m not too sure about adding the boss in, as I’m not that confident of my programming skills.

• Game Mechanics

• The person would need to platform up to the correct answer. Up will be jump, and arrow keys to move left and right.

• The answers will be in multiple choice, and the answers per choice will be in the instructions.

• There will also be power ups. The pi hat will make it so that the character moves faster (get it, because the digits in pi are infinite, and in Toy Story, Buzz said “To infinity and beyond” meaning that he would be moving at super speeds in order to get into space, so that’s what the pi hat is for). The x head power up will make it so that the character has two chances.

• Objective

• To get every single problem correct while avoiding all of the wrong answers. The object of the game is also to not fall into certain traps that would make it so that the person would be forced to fall onto the wrong answer or something.

• Questions

• All will be multiple choice, and the question would always be stated by Jake.

• Character

• Jake is a guy on a skateboard.

Music:

• Game Mechanics

• Players can answer trivia questions on each level that if are solved, will get you to the next level and will regain a part of Mozart’s memory.

• The player will answer different questions through each level. Mozart will give the players hints on some questions.

• The player will interact with the game by using the mouse and clicking on the different answer choices.

• Objective

• The game starts with Mozart at his violin, starting to play it. However it sounds terrible. Mozart tells us that he fell down on the ground and hit his head on the harpsichord he owned and passed out. After a while, he woke up, and didn’t know ANYTHING about music. All he knows is that his last name is Mozart, and he was an amazing composer and musician until then. He thinks him asking you questions will help him recover.

• Characters

• Mozart: A famous composer. In the game, he gets amnesia and needs help remembering everything.

• You need to answer all of the questions in each level correctly. The higher the level, the higher the difficulty.

• Obstacles

• Each question will be about anything music-related. They will be multiple choice questions.

• To level up, you must answer all the questions correctly. One wrong and GAME OVER.

• An obstacle would be that the questions get harder as each level passes.

• Chrome

• A creative commons picture of Mozart will be used.

• Backgrounds that are creative commons will also be used.

• The game will teach kids facts about music and about the addition of musical notes and the many different instruments there are to play.

Plan

Resources

• Tools

• Scratch

• Computer

• Search Engines

• Creative Commons

• Materials

• Creative commons pics

• music

• blocks

• scripts

• sprites

• information

• backdrops

• whole projects

• Location

• Home

• School

• Hangouts

• Calling *Phone maybe*

• Time

• 12 Days

• Labor

• Several people working on an equally fair amount

• Rashmika

• Science

• Making a remix out of “Da Evil Unicorns” on scratch, her own project

• Winston

• Melyssa

• Music

• Making a remix. Not sure of what, but I’ll figure it out. *looks at games*

• Lia

• Humanities

• Making a remix. *Still in process*

• Money

• No money

Action Plan

Rashmika

Melyssa

Lia

Winston

Role

5/20

5/21

5/22

5/23

5/24

5/25

5/26

5/27

5/28

5/29

5/30

5/31

6/1

Rashmika’s main character

Winston’s Main Character

Melyssa’s Main character

Lia’s main Character

Rashmika’s Enemy Character

Winston’s Enemy Character

Melyssa’s Enemy Character

Lia’s Enemy Character

Rashmika’s Levels 1, 2, 3, and 4  

Wnston’s Levels 1, 2, 3, and 4

Melyssa’s Levels 1, 2, 3, and 4

Lia’s Levels 1, 2, 3, and 4

Title slide

Combine games

Questions

Developers Logs

Lia:

5/22/15, School, 10:00-10:15

I have worked on the characters which was what I wanted to work on today. I successfully was able to work on this because it did not take me as long as I thought it would. The results shocked me because I was able to find clipart that matched my needs and desires so I was pleasantly surprised and delighted after today's working session. This makes me less nervous about the future sessions to come because I really didn’t have any problems doing this.

Mel:

5/22/2015 BSGE, 10:00-10:15

I worked on the characters for my project. I am almost done making the character Mozart. I will then make an enemy character tomorrow. Some issues that I had were finding the whole body of Mozart that had s creative commons license. I eventually found one, and am almost done erasing the unneeded parts of the photo.

5/29/2015 Home, 4:00-5:35

Today I decided to use scratch to make costumes for Mozart. I finished coming up with good questions to ask. Now  I have to code them on Scratch.

5/30/2015, home, 1:00-3:15

I finished the game, but a problem I encountered was that everything was deleted, and nothing was saved.

5/31/2015, home, 1:00-6:50

I redid the whole project. Even though the project was mostly deleted, the backgrounds remained intact. I had to remake Mozart's costumes, get the costumes for the obstacle characters from the scratch library, and recode the entire project. It took a while, but the project is finished.

Rashmika:

5/22/15, BSGE, 10:00-10:15

Today, I worked on my individual subject--science. I had already previously finished the characters since I'm remixing a game I previously made. I worked on the the questions and scripted when they had to show and hide, as well as the results in which the player moves the character to each answer.  

Winston:

5/22/2015 BSGE, 10:00-10:15

Today, I worked on the title screen, and I managed to finish it. Although I was supposed to do it yesterday, Scratch was off, so I had to do it today. Nonetheless, I feel like I’ve done it better than I could’ve done it yesterday, so there’s that. I also managed to link it up to each of our games, and made it so that they would pop out when the mouse went over the words that would then be clicked to activate the level.

Winston:

5/24/2015 Home, Time Unknown

Today, I worked on the intro. sequence for my game, and tried to make it so that the words would fade in and fade out, as the reader read through the story. I also tried to make it so that the reader had to press the spacebar in order to continue reading after they were done with the first slide. Initially, I had wanted to make it kind of like a slideshow, but then I realized that this seemed cooler and easier to make. One of the problems that I had was that whenever I pressed the spacebar, it would always skip ahead two slides instead of one. To prevent that, I made it so that there was a variable, and the variable had to be equivalent to a certain number, before it switched to the next screen. I added a 1 second wait time before the variable went up again, so that Scratch would know to not skip a scene.

5/25/2015 Home, Time Unknown

Today, I worked on my actual game. Since it was a platformer game, it was really hard to do. I had to go onto youtube, and follow the instructions that the person presented to help get the platformer to act like, well, a platformer. One of the difficulties that I had was that whenever I tried to get the guy to move, he just wouldn’t. I fixed it, when I realized that I forgot to set the speed variable to a certain number. I just never put the speed variable in the script. The video that I watched was: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPHrXuGHGNc&list=TL6rsnHfW4RLw&feature=iv&src_vid=NlSMFJIKmZ8&annotation_id=annotation_1066032843.

5/25/15 Home, 1:00-2:00- Rashmika

Today, I did some of my level one. This was extremely difficult since I had to work through all the glitches of the game, find out how to make it educational, and make questions, Making the first part is always most difficult since you are starting from 0. Now, since I have the scripts established for the questions, everything is going to be much easier since now I have a guideline to follow for my scripts. I also made some question.

5/27/15 School 10-10:15

When making this, I was allowed to use the scratch program. This way I could save it on my drive. I was able to make my beginning story and not waste time. All I need now is levels or questions.

5/27/15 BSGE 10-10:15 Rashmika

Today, I ran through my game to look for improvements and errors in the scripts. I did find a few errors, one was that the points would affect  the game more than it is supposed to. I fixed this by making the sprites hide faster than they are supposed to.

5/27/2015 BSGE and Home Winston

Today, I didn’t do much compared to how much I thought I would be able to do. This is partially due to how at school, Scratch was down, so that meant that I was going to have to do it on the Scratch program that they have, and then upload it to my actual Scratch project later. However, the thing is, the Scratch program that wasn’t Cloud Based was unfamiliar because some of the characteristics were different from those that I was used to. Then, at home, I found that I couldn’t even really upload it to the Scratch website without replacing the entire project. Essentially, I had done nothing at school (which is why that is being combined into this one), and I had wasted time trying to figure out how to import the script onto Scratch. All I really did so far was create the goal point and test it out to be sure that it worked, but not nearly as much compared to what I did last time I worked on the project.

5/28/2015 Home Winston

Today, I added in a special Easter egg for my project that would activate if you were in my group. I polished up the first level, so now it is completely finished. I completed the pi power up, but I have yet to test it. I encountered no difficulties today, and nothing really bad has happened. I don’t feel as though I am following the Ghantt chart, because according to that, I should’ve finished the levels by now, but I’m only on level 2, which is taking longer than expected because of the power-ups.

5/28/15 Home: 9:30-10:30

Today, I finished all of level 1 and all the levels are going to take a lot longer than I predicted. However, it's going to be much easier now since I have a model to follow for other levels. I ran into no issues.

5/29/15 Home: 5:00-5:40am Lia

Today I tried putting together what I did in class to start my levels but it turned out it didn’t want to cooperate so I have to redo it.

5/29/15 Home 6:00-6:30am Lia

I finally finished my introduction. I am on to my levels now. I think that it will get easier as I go along. However, I am very satisfied with my intro not taking an hour as I predicted and it turned out nice than I thought.

5/29/15 School: 10:00-10:15 Lia

I am starting level one. I am so excited to see what will become of the new project! All I need to do is add questions and make sure the points match the questions. I think that now I will be able to finish and I am more optimistic about it. I feel way better than I was in the beginning of the class and I was pretty optimistic in the beginning of the class and now I can say I’ve really exceeded my expectations. I hope the levels don’t take a long time because we are kind of pressed on time. I wouldn’t say we’re “Behind” or “We should have started earlier” because at this point it shouldn’t take too long to make it and put it together. For this project I will try and have an optimistic opinion because negative attitudes towards this can get me no where. *Found that out last project so I will try and change my view* I am not following my gantt chart sadly. My group was working well. Winston showed me how to use points and we were trying to put the project together. Overall the project is doing well.

5/29/15 Rashmika : BSGE 10:00-10:15

Today, I perfected and polished my level 1. It is perfect now and I can just copy the scripts and edit them to fit the game! This is good! Makes my job much easier! However, I am kind of worried about two of my other group members as they barely started. I am worried we won't be able to do it in time. I ran into no issues.

5/29/2015 BSGE Winston Home

I have added both of the power ups that were needed to help accomplish some things that I intend to include in the boss level. I now have a better idea of what I should do in my boss level. I think that I should make it so that the boss asks a question, and then shoots out answers. You have power ups right above your head that you have to hit if you need to either jump over certain incorrect answers or something else. One of the difficulties that I ran into was that whenever I pressed the space key, it would skip back to the level. I fixed it by realizing that I forgot to increase one of the variables, so now I think the glitch is fixed. I feel as though I might still finish even though I am behind schedule, and not really following the ghantt chart at all. Now might be a good idea to explain why I did the platformer programming before I got all of the questions that I would put in the game. I did it because I thought the programming would be the hardest part, so I was trying to figure out how one of the programming bases worked. Then I realized that there would probably be a video on Scratch (or rather animation on scratch) for how to create a platformer, so I found one, and it told me to go onto youtube, since the current animation was outdated. Since it was on youtube, I decided to do the program then because sometimes youtube is disabled on my computer (sometimes, it just doesn’t load, although it’s probably because I haven’t found the time to download a browser better than internet explorer and I keep on forgetting), I decided to just do it then instead of the questions.

5/29/2015 Rashmika  Home 8-8:30pm

Today, I looked over my level 1 for glitches and realize how long even just one level can take! I saw a glitch in which the background wouldn’t change and couldnt figure out why. I will save this issue for the next session.

5/30/15 Lia 1:00-5:30

I finished my game. Everyone was getting anxious about finishing which made me realize that it might as well get over with. It took a while but it's finished! Finally. I wonder whether the rest of my group has finished or not. However, I am satisfied that I have done my share and no one needs to be upset over me not participating. It was a fun game that I had my brother and mom play. It mostly revolved around year dates so I hope it was okay. Other than that I found it kind of tedious to make. Tomorrow I should see if it has any errors but it is done. I am very proud o the results. I have shared it for all of my group to see.

5/30/2015 Rashmika  Home 10-11:36

Today, I finished level 2 of my game. All I have to do is finish level 3 and I am done! I feel confident that I will finish. I ran into no issues.

5/30/2015 Rashmika  Home 10-3:36

Today I finished my whole game! It took me a while because there were a lot of glitches that were really difficult to fix. There are two glitches in which the sprites won’t hide when they are supposed to and I have no idea how to fix that.

5/31/2015 Winston Home

Today, I finished my game. It’s only two levels because for some reason, whenever I try to put in a level 3, the game just becomes super laggy (and by that I mean I would say that the game crashed, except for the fact that the see inside button still works). I have no idea how to fix it, so the only solution is that I have to remove level 3 entirely. This means that I have no boss level, but I’d rather have no boss level and a non-laggy game, rather than a boss level that is super laggy and glitchy. I’d also like to mention that there is a glitch in the second level where you have to go to the left and then to the right to kill yourself, before you can play the level, but besides for the fact that it made it impossible to have a no death streak in my game, it isn’t that big of a deal.

6/1/15 Rashmika Home: 11-11:30 pm

Today, I added instructions to my game, and while I was checking over the final group project, I found a glitch in my work, so I fixed it. I realized my glitch wasn’t my own programming issue, but it was rather that my group members and I shared a common variable ‘score’ so the system got confused. I changed the variable to ‘score for sci’ and I fixed it! Other then that, I ran into no issues.

Group Meetings

Lia

My group worked well together to combine our project over FaceTime. There had been glitches within the project but everything worked nicely.

Melyssa

Rashmika

6/1/15

5-7pm

Hangouts video call

I think that today, our group did exceptionally well on working together. We critiqued each other's  projects and we combined them. This took quite a while because some of our games had errors that we had to fix along the way which was really difficult. It also took a while to combine the games, because then we discovered even more glitches! I was also able to ask my group members for help  in fixing the errors, and they helped me solve the problem! Except, in transferring the games there was a glitch which Winston mentioned on his side in the last paragraph, which I was able to fix.. It is in my latest developer's log. All members were present.

Winston

6/1/15

I think today, our group was phenomenal when compared to the task that we had to complete. Today, we for some reason, found that whenever we tried to combine our separate games, there were suddenly 50 billion glitches that we never noticed before. It also didn’t help that sometimes the backpack feature glitched, and didn’t bring over all of the things that we put in it. However, it helped that my group members were around since I was able to see what other people did and see how I could make my own project better if I had time e.g. add sound effects, or to make the question part of the background instead of the ground sprite. I think it was a great experience, but still nonetheless, it was frustrating trying to combine all of our group projects.

I’d also like to mention that there is still a glitch in Rashmika’s game with backgrounds that we didn’t know how to fix, because such a glitch wasn’t there in her individual game. In Lia’s backdrops, for the group game, they’re different because the backdrops weren’t transported correctly, so we had to manually redo them.

Evaluate

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/64448912/ (Winston’s Math Project)

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/63716460/ (Lia’s Humanities Project)

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/63716978/ (Rashmika’s Science Project)

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/64974498/ (Mel’s Music Project)

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/65169572/#player (final group project)

Final Thoughts About the Project and Group Participation

Lia :

Rashmika- She had a timely manner and wanted to get things done early. Even though we were behind schedule she still managed to try and keep us on task.

Melyssa- She had been participating with the project. She had finished hers on time too.

Winston- He had been keeping up with his gantt chart and was on task. He did a phenomenal job of making the title and was definitely always on track with his work.

Myself- Throughout the project my partners had been urging me to finish. The gantt chart had made me feel like I was procrastinating as well which kept getting me nervous but the truth is I still was on time. I didn’t find the gantt chart useful but the group participation was amazing and I couldn’t have asked for a better group.

Winston:

Rashmika- I think that out of all of ours, hers was the most creative because although it didn’t really seem to have much of a backstory, the game design is something that I’ve never seen before. Also, I really liked how she added sound effects.

Melyssa- I think that Melyssa had the best backstory out of all of us. I really liked how although the idea of the main character getting amnesia is common, I thought the fact that she made a historical figure get it was genius. It was not only an interesting idea, but it also showed us how important the brain was to us.

Lia- Out of all of ours, I think Lia had the best characters. I thought it was neat how the character that was trying to restore the character's past and future was a key, so it was almost like a symbol itself.

Myself- I feel pretty good about my project because although I had to borrow quite a bit of stuff from other people, I felt that it also made me think more creatively and helped me problem solve better. There were times where I felt pretty frustrated when I thought that my program was going horribly, and there were impossible glitches -- some of them even causing me to delete entire levels or characters. I feel as though a pretty good job, and I’m smarter than I was before.

Melyssa:

Winston: I think Winston was really creative and hardworking when making his project. He would always work in a timely manner and get his work done. He contributed a lot to the group effort.

Lia: Although she didn’t follow the gantt chart, she did a really good job managing her time. Her project was really creative, and the backstory she made was a good idea.

Rashmika: She did a really good job in managing her time. Her game was a remix of a different game she made, and it was interesting. She followed the gantt chart, and wrote her developer’s logs right after she did work.

Rashmika :

Winston: I think that Winston was one of the hardest workers in the group. He always went above and beyond expectations, and put his best foot forward. Winston followed his gantt chart well.

Lia: Lia managed her time well, even if she didn’t exactly follow her gantt chart.

Melyssa: Melyssa did a really good job, and I found her final game to be humorous, enjoyable, and at the same time educational. Education and fun were both in this game which is usually very difficult to accomplish. She didn't follow the gantt chart but still finished her project in a timely fashion.

Me (Rashmika):  I kind of followed my gantt chart but I think that I still did really well. I think that the problem with my schedule was that I underestimated the amount of time it would take for each level. However, I think that I did really well on my final project, and tried very hard to do my absolute best. My group at first wasn’t really on track since we were moving kind of slowly, but it all worked out in the end.

survey

http://goo.gl/forms/YHjRHhde5w

Developers Log:

During class to fix the game

We need to each finish glitches, make backstories, etc.

Lia:

I have to fix the score that's in my board.

Rashmika:

I have to add a backstory.

My Individual Project:

<iframe allowtransparency="true" width="485" height="402" src="//scratch.mit.edu/projects/embed/63716460/?autostart=false" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My Group Project:

<iframe allowtransparency="true" width="485" height="402" src="//scratch.mit.edu/projects/embed/65169572/?autostart=false" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Potato Trials

by: 20sahrd

Investigate: Brainstorming Ideas: Game with questions after every level Multiplayer: every time you answer a question right, you get to attack the other player. Also whoever answers the question right first gets to attack the other. Racing game, every time you answer the question right, you get to move forward in the race. Platformer where you need to answer quizzes to advance. A role playing game where it takes place in the exploration of Christopher Columbus.

Subject Ideas: Humanities - Nia Science- Daniel Math - Elio Technology - Murtaza Project Idea: We will create a multiplayer quiz game. The group will create a engine and we will all create our own version with questions pertaining to one topic above. We will then combine all of the quizzes into one game. The game works by having one or two players on the same computer and picking an answer. You will be awarded points for the correct response and a fast response. The winner will be selected at the end. This game helps the player learn by trial and error about these subjects. Design: We will have a group project where we create an engine that everyone will create their own variation to based on the subject selected. Game Mechanics: We would have a point system in which so each question correct would be 10 and each incorrect question would be -5. You move your selection with arrow keys or WASD and enter with shift or enter. Objectives: To beat your partner, or the other person, and to get a higher score. Try to get as many points as possible, and try not to lose any points. To be knowledgeable about the subjects. Obstacles: We will have a NPC character who will ask the questions and you will have to play against another player in multiplayer mode. Chrome: Music (We will have the jeopardy theme playing when the player is trying to answer a question), the interface to choose the answers (We will have 4 answers where only one answer is correct), the character asking the questions (We will use a boy character.)

Science Questions (Daniel):

1. Is the atomic number of Hydrogen 3? (No)

2. Is the element symbol B for Boron? (Yes)

3. On the periodic table, is the the first family Alkaline Earth Metals? (No)

4. What is the symbol of Carbon?

5. What is the symbol of Hydrogen? (H)

6. What is the symbol of Oxygen? (O)

7. What variable goes on the x axis of a graph? (IV)

8. What variable goes on the first column of a table? (IV)

9. Is a control the same as a constant? (Yes)

10. What is another name for independent variable? (Manipulative Variable)

11. What is the freezing point of Fahrenheit? (32)

12. What is the boiling point of Celsius? (100)

13. How many meters is 235 cm? (2.35m)

14. Is a block of wood more dense than a block of metal of the same size? (No)

15. Does Density=Mass*Volume? (No)

16. Does Volume=Mass/Density? (Yes)

17. What has the least mass? Protons, Neutrons or Electrons? (Electrons)

18. Is wood burning a physical change or chemical change? (Chemical)

19. Is gas the hottest state of matter? (No)

20. Are protons positive or negative? (Positive)

Plan:

Resources:

Tools: Computer, Scratch, Google, Creative Commons

Materials: Pictures, Picture of dice (http://pixabay.com/static/uploads/photo/2014/03/24/17/14/dice-295198_640.png), Music, Blocks/Scripts, Information, Sprites, Backdrops

Location: School, Skype, Google Hangouts, Google Drive

Time: 12 days

Money: $0

Labor:

• Murtaza: Technology

• Daniel: Science

• Nia: Humanities

• Elio: Maths

Date

21/5

22/5

23/5

24/5

25/5

26/5

27/5

28/5

29/5

30/5

1/6

Unavailable Days

Create Scripts for Engine

Only small thing

*Help with concepts.*

Create Sprites

Add in Science Questions

Add in Humanities Questions

Add in Math Questions

Add in Technology Questions

Create Backgrounds

Link all the Games together

Group Log, 22/5/2015, 9:50 - 10:20 School

Nia: When working on the group project, I think we were able to communicate, and hear each other out. However, there were some slight problems about scheduling, and work loads, which we are still working on, and figuring out, but otherwise, we worked well together.

Daniel: Today, I went and found several backgrounds and sprites that I will need for my part of the part of the section which includes a periodic table of elements.

Issues: I found it hard to get the periodic table to fit as a sprite as it wouldn't go into the position I wanted.

Fixes: I turned the table into a backdrop so I can enable it for the questions that need it.

Elio: We communicated with each other well, however our schedules were so thin that it's hard to make everything in time. Some issues that were found during this work time was that we found out many of our dates did not match up with everything else. We fixed it by switching the dates to make it more reasonable. Some of the problems we encountered were some

Murtaza: Today, I made a studio inside the Algerian Pudding account and added the projects inside of them. I also found that my schedule was the most open and I was doing a bulk of the work, so what we did was we split the amount of work with other groups a lot more fairly. It became a lot more reasonable. We made the Gantt chart better by fixing the dates we would work on, and collaborated more.

Nia: We didn't really get to do anything today, but the engine should be done soon, and inserting questions should be quick, because it's just copying and pasting.

Murtaza: I was barely able to do anything because the internet was soooo slow. I was not even able to connect to the scratch website. We also decided on a name for the project.

Daniel: Today, I was able to create the title screen and game over screen. It was very hard to do because the Internet was very choppy and the website kept reloading. Our group decided on the name Potato Trials. The engine should be done soon.

Elio: We were unable to work because of the slow internet, also the game engine was not finished so there was nothing we could have done. However, we were able to plan out some dates where we could finish large portions of the project.

Murtaza: Today, Daniel and I worked on the engine. What happened was that the engine was being good, but it would be super complicated for everyone. We restarted most of it so that it would be much more easier, and it actually is. Broadcasts are the best thing ever! We are on schedule. We had to move forward some stuff on the gantt chart because I had to delay the game engine a bit. We all talked about it because we were overloaded at the beginning of the week. We also have to redo the backgrounds because we don’t have where it came from, so there is no giving credit, etc.

Nia: (Absent from school)

Daniel: Today, Murtaza and I were working on the engine. Murtaza had an engine ready, but we needed to overhaul some of the details so we copied the existing engine over. We almost finished the answer and point system. We are just on schedule, and the reason we were  a little delayed with starting because we were busy lately. Elio worked on fixing the Gantt chart and updating it as we had a hard week with tests so we had to bump everything back . Some issues we encountered was getting the questions to respond properly, but we finally were able to get it to work.

Elio: Today we were able to fix the Gantt chart into times where we were able to actually work. Also Murtaza was able to fix and revise the game engine. A problem that we encountered was that Nia was absent, which made it hard to talk to the entire group. However we fixed this problem by adding in notes to the document to help explain what happened today. Another problem that was encountered was that some people were not doing enough work according to the Gantt chart and we had to change some of the things to make the work somewhat even. Overall the work done today was great because we communicated and were able to find problems and fix them.

Daniel 5/31 12:00-1:00 PM

Today, I finished my individual project and added some chrome to the engine. I copied, pasted the questions from this document into the template. I then tested my questions and everything worked well and there were no errors. One issue I had was the fact that some questions would be too hard to only select one answer for, so to save time, I made them yes or no questions and I had to rephrase some of my other questions questions. After I entered my questions, I had my parents take the quiz to make sure it worked.

Group Log, 1/6/2015 Skype

Nia: I finished the individual project and worked hard on it today. I had a few problems with it, for example, it kept logging me out. The last time it logged me out and said the only way I could save it would be to log back in, I kept trying, but it wouldn’t let me log in. The only way I could save it would be to quickly create another account, so I did. Of course, there was another problem – I couldn’t find my individual project while searching for it while on the group project. Finally, I found a way, and someone else will link all projects together.

Elio: We all worked on the individual projects today. A few problems that I encountered was that I realized that a few of my questions were hard and had to be changed so I had to change the questions. Also the gantt chart had to be fixed because it was realized that it was incorrect and had to be fixed. The way that the group communicated was by skype. Overall, the group worked well together however having some problems from time to time.

Daniel: Today, I continued to add chrome to my individual project and testing the group project. For my own project, I added a periodic table of elements to help the player with some of the questions. I then went to the group project and played several rounds to ensure that everything worked properly. Overall, we had a very good day and were able to finish the project on time.

Murtaza: What I did today was that I waited for everyone to finish their individual products. I then linked all of the projects together. I got a little help with sprites from Elio. The problem with linking was that the broadcasts were conflicting with each others individual projects, so I had to sit through changing the broadcasts. A change to the Gantt chart was that Nia was supposed to add the questions for my Tech Group project, but because Nia was even late on giving in her individual project, I had to end up adding the questions to mine. I had to stay up pretty late working fixing all of the broadcasts because some people finished the individual product late. In the end, the group did well, fixing up problems.

Here is my project!

Here is the group project! 

Legend of Zelda: The Land of the Lost

Project Plan

Resources

• Tools: Computer, scratch, google images, paint tools (pixlr, preview, microsoft paint), piskel

• Labor:

• Erica - Math level

• Charlotte - Music level and potions feature

• David - English level with George Washington and credits

• Lars - Science level (final level with boss) and title page and hub (modifying) and cutscenes and tutorial

• Location: Group members’ home, Hangouts, school

• Time: 12 days

• Money: $0

Action Plan

David

Charlotte

Lars

Erica

All

Task

5/21

5/22

5/23

5/24

5/25

5/26

5/27

5/28

5/29

5/30

5/31

6/1

Create Boss Sprites and Link

Make title page

Make tutorial

Make First level (music)

Make Second Level (English)

Make Third Level (Math)

Make Final Level (Science)

Make Potion mechanic

Make Credits

Make cutscenes

Work on hub

Put everything together

Test it

Create:

5/23/15 3 hours at home

Lars-

I was able to complete my final level about science, although I couldn’t figure out how to make the ranged attacks, I finished the melee and I think it worked out well. I also made a short cutscene after it, but that was about it. I had to increase the health for link a lot, because it seemed extremely hard at 10000 health with ganondorf as an overpowered boss, so I basically had to tone down the death counts by making more health so link wouldn’t die easily. I also changed the link sprite seen here:http://explodingrabbit.com/threads/super-link-bros-update-we-need-you.206/ because the other one wouldn’t work on scratch for some reason. This is the background: http://smashboards.com/threads/brawlbox-creation-showcase-workshop-post-your-brawlbox-stuff-here.260439/page-28 Everything else is fine.

Lars Smeland 5/27/15 School 40 minutes: Today I was able to switch jobs with Charlotte to be able to finish a big chunk of the project. I had some technical difficulties with the potions and thus she gave her tutorial job to me and we switched roles. She was able to work on the potions while I finished the tutorial and Erica worked on her part (Angry Birds) and is almost done. David was able to share the movement blocks so that we could have smooth movements and attacks throughout the entire game, making it much better than it was before. We are making good progress and all think we can finish by Friday so that we have the weekend to test and fix the project until it is done and works well. It is turning out better than expected.

David Madrigal 5/27/15 School 40 minutes: I worked on creating motion in Scratch using a custom variable called X-Velocity, and I helped create the speed for the sprite. I then used a custom block called Jump to test for the acceleration of a key being pressed, and then I converted it into a change into the Y velocity. I also tried importing this feature into my group members’ projects, but I couldn’t due to lack of time. I then began to work on a ScrollX variable for the platforms.

Erica Lei 5/27/15 School 40 minutes: I decided not to add any monsters or random pop math questions because the viewer might want a little break from dungeons earlier. I didn’t add the ropes because Link’s movement allowed the player to have Link “float” around the screen. However, I planned to make the questions harder. I’m still stuck on the Angry Bird mechanic, and I didn’t get to do much today because the internet was down and the websites were slowly loading.

5/29/15 45 minutes school

Lars- Today I was able to finish my individual project and I am done with my part. I just have to put everything together and share it. I am just awaiting my group member's products so I can create the overall group project over the weekend. I “tried” to help David with the platforms and making sure that the side scroller is infinite. We couldn’t solve it but I found that we are okay in completing the project soon and being able to finish it before the deadline.

David- I’ve made a huge mistake. Today I couldn’t figure out how to make the scroll mechanic work properly when yesterday I THOUGHT I had it good, but it was absolutely horrible today, I tried to make clones for platforms but they failed miserably.

Charlotte - Today I continued working on the potions part of the game which actually turned out to be harder than I thought it would be. Some of the blocks I used got really messed up and I wasted time fixing that. But I feel confident that I can finish my portions by tomorrow so that we can put it together over the weekend.

Erica- Today I used a different Angry Bird code from a different project because I couldn’t get the sprite to launch properly. I fixed the broadcasting and the “touching___” . However, when I played the game and got to the final backdrop, the sprite kept on going to the edge of the backdrop. I’m not sure how to fix it, and I was planning to add a few more questions at school today. I need to work on the project some more at home. I am behind schedule. (https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/34602750/#player)

5/29/15 20 minutes home

I was able to fix the Angry Bird problem by setting Shot? to 0 when green flagged is clicked. I added a few more questions also.

6/1/15 5 hours Home

Lars-

I have a few changes. I took music from the project of above called -3d- castle 100% pen! (https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/48266230/). It is the music throughout the game. I was unable to do the unlockable characters because of their different mechanics and sizes as sprites and attacks. If I were to make them, I would have to re program all of the enemies, the movement, attacks and everything else which there wasn’t time or need fore, therefore rendering the mario and sonic sprites useless. I am not sure about David’s progress in the project although it is due tomorrow, he has not completed it for me to see. I cannot put together the project without the first level or else everything will skip around. For the individual project, I had a major problem. I put everything together and it seemed fine, until halfway into it everything started to buffer, nothing was moving quick, everything slowed down, the music made robotic sounds and the spirits didn’t progress like they did separately. Therefore, I was unable to connect the projects, although everything else is fine, it was impossible to connect the projects through scratch. I tried with different remakes, remixes and more but it didn’t change anything. I checked all the scripts and the source seems to be unavoidable lag on my computer and scratch, unable to let me complete it.

Evaluate:

Lars’s Project - https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/64678010/

1. Mainly in my individual product included a lot of health and mechanics that will balance the game. It took me a long time to finish it, test it and make sure that everything is balanced. It helped activate potions, questions, and more that determines losing or winning the game.

2. I could have made it overall smoother and make is compressed, because there was too much for scratch that it lags a lot. I could have also made the movement slower and timed everything and movement better that could help make it smoother and work better as well as look better.

3. I had to work on the cutscenes and help some others with problems such as the variables not working because they didn’t increase. However, it wasn’t included in the final group project because I wasn’t able to get everything and put it together as well as scratch just stop working for me halfway into the creation putting it together.

4. We could have followed the chat better to get more time to be able to add things such as unlockable characters that would need entirely new mechanics and aesthetics.

5. Me: (see 3)
    David: He created the movement. We all put the speed mechanic into our games and used them.
    Charlotte: She helped me with the potions mechanic which was a big thing in the hub. It worked better and helped me finish.
    Erica: She was able to do all the work on time and create her project without much help. She was able to show us her project, almost like a role model.

6. Me: I could have put the scenes into each of the individual products. I could have also helped David with the cloning mechanism, but I didn’t see him online constantly.
    David: He could have made the mechanic more consistent. He changed it the next day so the hub and my level ended up having different movements which was weird for the player.
    Charlotte: She could have made it inside the hub where the potion mechanic is accessed. It could have been inside that would make it easier to put in the project and could have helped the messages put into the project.
    Erica: She could have critiqued our projects to help us a little bit more. That would make sure that we are all happy about the final projects that we each have.

Plan for Improvement

6/5/15, 8:20 A.M., School

David-

I would improve the scrolling mechanic, because Scrolling requires a memorization of the way the variables are aligned, and I forgot how to tell the direction of one scroll side from another, which screwed me up. My scroll mechanic fails miserably, and can not hold enemies. However, fixing all this could create a suitable dungeon where players have to fight enemies to get to the next level, which would be ideal for the current project that I need. I also need to incorporate music because my project needs music. I also need to finish getting rid of all the glitches, and there is also no way to exit the level. Scratch is basic, so I wasn’t able to compute what I needed in time for the deadline. All my project is currently is more of a scrolling simulator, and I need to make it into a dungeon or else the group project would be screwed. The last thing I need to do is make the game fun, right now all that’s fun is walking across a world that contains three screwed up enemies, about 7 platforms, and no way to escape. Soon I will begin to improve everything, but currently there is a lot wrong with my project. The total time it takes to fix the project should be a little less than a week. I will continue to work on the project regardless of how long it takes.

Lars-

I would improve on making the project smoother, but also dumbing it down to a certain extent by deleting parts that weren’t needed. My individual project had problems when I put it together. It would constantly stop, and it basically never stopped even though I had lines that the boss would say to you before you entered the full game. They wouldn’t come up because of the problem that there were too many sprites that still counted as entities on the screen so that there was  a huge problem with moving objects slowly stop moving and all of the lag that went on with the project. I would also have to make the project smoother which meant that I would make sure that the boss doesn’t stop moving when he starts hitting you which makes it easier even though it’s supposed to be hard and took a while to finish with all of the questions and fighting between them. Also, the enemy in the tutorial and the movement is a bit weird, because when you fight, Link almost jumps because of the sprite sheet. This didn’t work well because the loading was done in chunks to he almost just stopped moving a little bit and took a long time to complete it. I would have to change it so that the costume is changed to make it quicker and smoother to attack so Link has somewhat of an advantage while still having a hard time winning to a certain extent. It would make the game easier and more helpful to Link because I saw that the boss battle was extremely hard first and had to fix it with some of these changes.

Charlotte -

I would improve how engaging our projects were because most of our projects were just asking questions, and the user didn’t really get to interact with the project. In my project, the user only got a few seconds of interaction as a reward for answering the question correctly. I think next time we should just incorporate the learning right into our project[s].

I also would want to improve the time I put into this project. I stalled until the night before it was due, so I made it very difficult for myself and Lars, who was putting the project together. I want to put in more obstacles as well because my level was pretty bleak, as there was only Link and one boss. The look of the potion aspect as well as the actual level wasn’t really appealing. If I were the player I don’t think I would’ve enjoyed the game.

I also think I should work more with my group, because I mainly worked individually and I think that’s the reason why we couldn’t put our project together.

Erica-

I would improve on adding more math content to the project because the only math content was at the end, when you got to the last backdrop and played Angry Birds to answer math questions. Also, I would create borders/limit Link’s movement because the player is able to move Link freely around each backdrop, and doesn’t create much of a challenge. The player can become confused as to why some places won’t allow them to go to another place. But if I’m going to limit Link’s movement, then I’ll have to add his jumping mechanic or create ropes or some ladder that allows him to go to higher places. Since the player would have to make Link wander aimlessly around each backdrop, if it’s possible, I’ll add monsters (that don’t ask questions), but attacks your health. Anyways, in the end, Link can regain some health when the player reaches the last backdrop.

(see project page at https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/64678010/ to see the full verision and read developers logs to see why the full project couldn't be made)

Credit to people who worked on the project with me:

Erica: https://scratch.mit.edu/users/20leie/ Youthvoices: 20Leie

Charlotte: https://scratch.mit.edu/users/20yeec/ Youthvoices: 20Yeec

David: https://scratch.mit.edu/users/20madrigald/ Youthvoices: 20Madrigald

Sahawaii's Game Hub

by: 20lip
Dollar Scholar

Game Mechanics: Rules- This game is a side scroller game, so you are only allowed to move right, left, jump up, and come back down. Once you run into a wall and approach a question, you have a certain amount of time to answer or drag an answer from the word bank, or you lose one life. You get three lives. Gameplay- The sprite is able to move through the arrow keys. There is also a space bar shooter. The left and right keys are used to move left and right, while the up arrow key is used to jump. The down key is to come down if on a higher platform. When unlocking levels, new sprites can be unlocked with certain abilities. And the platforms will change once leveling up. User Interface/Game Controls- The up and down key can be used to dodge certain things that decrease the amount of lives left. The left and right is used to travel across the platform and to unlock new levels by reaching a certain button or something. The spacebar is used to shoot the enemies who decrease the amount of lives you have, and your power. Objectives: Story- The game will probably begin with a simple platform, with walls stopping the sprite from reaching the key to unlock the next level. There will be a word bank on top for the player to choose from to play the game. The game changes platforms every time the key is collected, and each level always begins to the very left. Characters- The sprites will change per level, hopefully. They will have shields, or some type of new power in each level. I am thinking of a basic schoolboy or schoolgirl (player’s choice), who evolves into a scholar. Levels- The first level would contain the eight parts of speech, which are the basics to language. I would give definitions on a ‘wall,’ and players would drag the word into the word bank in order to knock down the wall. The next level would be on literary techniques, and all other levels would eventually evolve into definitions from units and certain topics. Obstacles: Bosses- The bosses won’t be anything human. They’ll just be walls or maybe an English professor sprite who asks you a question. You get a certain amount of time to answer, or you lose a life. You have three lives. Puzzles- You have to match a word to a definition (vice versa) in English, and maybe there will be some grammar and spelling parts to the game. Leveling Up- In order to level up in the game, you’ll have to pass the obstacles given on the platform and collect some type of key in order to go on. You must have greater than zero lives left in the game. Chrome: Art/Graphics- I am hoping to have those pixel themed side scroller games with colorful scenery per platform, and the sprites are (if possible in some way) pixelated and should be a little boy at the beginning, turning into a scholar, with a graduation gown and cap, or something. Sound/Music- I will be adding a bubble pop kind of sound effect to sound like he just got a “pop quiz” question correct, if the player does get the question correct. Once the player levels up, there will be a victorious sound, or a clap at the end of each level. Academic Content- There will be English terms and simple vocabulary and concepts for players to know and define in each level, based on what we learned this year.

Laura

Pamela

James

Jasir

Title (May-June 2015)

20

21

22

23

24

25

26

27

28

29

30

31

1

2

Creating ‘Math’ Sprites

Creating ‘English’ Sprites

Creating ‘Humanities’ Sprites

Creating “Science” Sprites

Create math platform

Create English platform

Create humanities platform

Create science platform

Create math boss sprites

Create english boss sprites

Create humanities boss sprites

Create science boss sprites

Animate math game

Animate English game

Animate Humanities game

Animate Science game

Import games into one

Pamela: 5/22/15, 8:20 AM- 9:00 AM-
Today, I imported two sprites from Scratch and created a blue background. I also searched up “Super Mario” on Scratch, and imported sprites for my backpack in order to use them as my sprites in the game.

Pamela- Developer Log #2- May 29th, 2015
Today, I was able to program the Kirsten sprite for the game. I created a score for her, and inserted some sprites to increase and decrease the score. I created a way for the arrow keys to work with the actions of the sprites in the game. I created a small platform, but I am still working on the levels, which are supposed to come before the game actions.

Pamela 6/1/15- 11 PM
I was far more behind than I expected myself to be. I didn’t realize the heavy part of the task needed to be accomplished, and I asked my group members for help. I was having trouble asking the questions using a block designed on Scratch. I totally went against my game proposal and Gantt chart. I made two sprites, female and male, who take on questions of the English language arts topic. In order to unlock a level, they’d need a certain amount of points instead. The game doesn’t really advance. I also changed the bosses in the game and the platform sprites.

Pamela- Together, as a group we helped each other with issues we found in our Scratch animation. I, for instance, had trouble today, (honestly last minute) trying to ask the questions whenever a sprite encounters another. They helped me resolve the issue by realizing that there are certain sequences to the blocks, and that certain events have to be used for the encounter to work. I changed the lives to one instead of three.

Pamela- We faced an issue while trying to import our game. After sharing the game on our account, we couldn't upload backdrops. My backdrops were simple, but I didn't know about others. We decided together that backdrops would just remain the default white, and shouldn't be tweaked.

Sahawaii's Game Hub

by: 20LeeJ

Investigate James: Science Mini games. One title screen, 4 buttons. Each button leads to a different game. My game will resemble a mini game from New Super Mario Bros. Wrong formulae will be fired at you, and 1 will be correct. You must dodge all the wrong ones, and pass through the correct one to survive as long as possible. The score will be determined by how long you survive. You will play as a scientist, and the controls will be your mouse. Your character will follow your mouse to dodge incorrect formulae. Design James: Game Mechanic: Rules- The player can move the main character around with his/her mouse to dodge false formulae. The player will also be able to choose a selection of characters. I am thinking of 3 characters. The player will be allowed to exit and all that. The character can pass through correct formulae to survive. The player is allowed 1 life, and only 1 life. The stage has walls/barriers. Touching these walls/barriers will result in the player’s loss of a life. Gameplay- The player will move his/her mouse to control their character in order to dodge incorrect formulae, as well as pass through correct formulae. They can not change characters mid game, however there will be a subscreen after the main screen so that they can change the character beforehand. In game there will be a button the player can click to exit to the subscreen if they perhaps want to restart. User Interface/ Game Controls- The player will use their mouse to move around the stage to avoid incorrect formulae, and/or pass through correct formulae. Objective: Story- The game begins at the subscreen. The player has to options at the start; “choose character”, or “play”. Choosing play will automatically go to the game with the default character. Clicking “choose character” will bring the player to a screen with 3 characters. The default one, and variations of the default character. Characters- The characters will be Mr. Laskowski. The default one will be Laskowski with his arms down, and legs straight. The second character will be Mr. laskowski with is arms waved in the air, and his legs spazzing out. The third character will be Mr. Laskowski as well, but this time his arms and legs will be swapped and he’ll be upside down. Levels- There will be three levels. The first level will be the easiest, simple short formulae will be launched at you with minimal velocity. Your objective at this level is simply to survive for 30 seconds. The second level will be slightly harder. The formulae will be faster, and the stage will grow smaller. The formulae will also be slightly longer and more complicated, requiring more thought to interpret whether correct or incorrect. Your objective is to survive 50 seconds. The third level is the hardest. The stage is extremely small, allowing for minimal movement. Formulae are extremely long, and fast. Your objective is to survive for 70 seconds, after which you will be rewarded with an audio clip of “Papi”. Obstacles: Bosses- Perhaps in between levels I can incorporate a boss. If so, the boss will be Mr. Laskowski. He will give you simple questions, and you will have 15 seconds to answer each. After you finish level 3, the questions will be much more complex, and the player will be allowed 30 seconds to solve each. Puzzles- The formulae themselves are riddles/puzzles to decode in a very quick amount of time. Other riddles include the questions Laskowski will give. They will require the knowledge of formulae launched at the player in the level before that boss level that has those questions. Leveling Up- To level up, simply survive for the designated amount of time, and then complete the boss level, which will usually have about 3-5 questions. Level one requires a survival time of 30 seconds. Level two needs a survival of 50 seconds. The last level requires 70 seconds. Chrome: Art/Graphics- Graphics will be extremely bad. 8-bit most likely. This game is not supposed to be fantastically modern. It’s supposed to feel old, ancient even. This will make character making much easier, however it may also complicate background making. Sound/Music- There will be a “boosh” sound every time a formula is fired. I will try and play some music during the bosses. At the end of the game, I will use a custom audio clip I will make. Academic Content- I will incorporate tons of scientific formulae to help teach the player of them, and/or memorize them. It will also aid them with their word problem solving skills by using the boss battles as practice. Plan Resources: Materials- Mr. Laskowski Sprite “Papi” Mr. Mehan Sprite Mr. Lakhaney Spite Peach Sprite Goomba Sprites The Kid that Doesn’t Do Homework Sprite Wonders Of the World Sprites (7) Tools- Pamela’s Device at home Laura’s Device at home James’ Device at home Jasir’s Device at home MacBook 103 MacBook 113 MacBook 111 MacBook 117 Google Images Scratch.com Any other offsite image editing software Labor- Laura is doing the math game online. Creating her own sprites and backdrops. Pamela is doing the English game. Creating her own sprites and backdrops. James is doing the science game. Creating his own sprites and backdrops. Jasir is doing the humanities game. Creating his own sprites and backdrops. Location- School and Home, and possibly together on Google Docs and Hangouts. Create : James Lee: 5/22/15, 8:30AM-8:55AM, BSGE Things went pretty well. We worked very individually. I, for the most part,I worked on costumes and backgrounds. I started work mainly on my main background. Things went pretty well for me in my honest opinion. Next time, I’ll work more efficiently due to not having to use the trackpad. There were no real big issues. James Lee, 5/27/15, 8:15 AM-9:00 AM, School- I have more ideas, and i’m trying to work as quickly as possible on my backdrops and sprites, for there are many. 4 of each formula we’ve learned in science plus more. Probably well over 50 sprites total. Making them requires time, and i’ll try to finish them over the upcoming weekend, or when i need them.I’ve decided i’m not making a sub-menu because it’s too complicated, and I don’t have a use for one. This also means no character selection. The player sprite is just a sphere. Making different Laskos would be too difficult. James Lee, 5/28/15, 10:00 PM-11:00 PM, Home- I’ve began the basic fundamentals of my game. The script is extremely easy, just monotonous and boring to create. I have confidence i will finish on time at this rate. Only problems are, i don’t have all the sprites created yet. I decided not to add game sounds, because i am already behind schedule. James Lee, 5/29/15, 8:30 AM-9:00 AM, School- I’ve worked on the script for my game. I’ve decided to not have I’ve decided not to have a submenu because it’s simply too hard. The scripting seems to take a long time, but it’s mainly repeating scripts, just with different broadcasts. I think i can finish pretty soon as long as i work fast.

GROUP LOG- JUNE 1ST, 2015

6/1/15, 6:00PM- 11:45PM, Home-

James- I had encountered many issues of my own. I was finding it difficult to script my game, not because of it’s complexity, but rather it’s disarrange. Scripts were everywhere, making it hard to locate issues within the script, if any. It took me 15 minutes to simply find this one error, i recall. I worked through all these issues and completed my individual project. All of this had been done whilst communicating to my groupmates about the plans for the group game. We discussed about it later that meeting. I chose not to add the “Papi”
recording, because it would be too much work, and i don’t have time. Also, i decided not to add the big word problems because thinking of some would be much too difficult. I also didn’t put bosses between every few levels because I had such a small amount of levels. This is the consequence of hand-making your game from scratch.

Laura- We as a group tried to help each other with technical issues. I was having much trouble trying to put the math questions in and Pamela helped me by saying I should put in an ask vlock and answer block. It didn’t really turn out as I expected but it was better than not doing it.

Jasir-

JUNE 1st AGAIN (LATER ON)

6/1/15, 11:45PM- 6/2/15, 2:00AM, Home-

James- Laura’s computer broke, so she could not import everything as we had previously arranged for. Pamela was working on other things, and Jasir left a long time ago. We made a last minute decision to leave me to import everything and create the main menu for our game. I found issues such as not being able to import backgrounds in our game, so we decided simply to leave it alone for now and simply not incorporate the backgrounds, in the hopes that later we will be able to.

Laura was forced to sleep at 12:00AM by her parents. Jasir had left at around 9:00PM-10:00PM after giving up on completing his portion of the project.

Plan for Improvement

Pamela- June 5th, 2015 8:30 AM, at school-

I think that if we were to improve our project, our priorities would be to definitely NOT underestimate the time taken to import all the scripts. Also, I would take more time to add the basic aspects to the project, such as more blocks used to ask questions and interact with the player.  

James-

6/5/15 8:25AM- 8:35AM , School-

I believe that our first priority should be fixing the backgrounds within our group project. This would include fixing our individual projects to work in or group projects. This would heavily increase our group project’s overall appearance. My next priority would be to force Jasir to fix his game, that way we can fully complete our game so that we can get a better grade. My last priority would be simply improving each of our games to look better.

Jasir-

6/5/15, 8:25 AM,School:

I think our first priority should be the backgrounds. This is because our game is like sort of weird because sometimes there are backgrounds one game and there aren’t the next time it is played.

Laura -

6/5/15

Unit 4 Project: Minigame Quartet

• Project Concept: A mini game that tests the player’s knowledge of science. The game will have questions that the character will have to answer to survive, and the questions will get more and more complex as the character progresses.

• Game Mechanic: Platformer

• Object: The objective is to get all the questions correct and not get eaten by the ugly Voldemort while being chased down.

• Obstacles: If you get the question wrong, then you slow down, while the sprite chasing you will gain speed and kill you.

• Chrome: There is a sprite chasing you and when it eats you, it kills you, which is a redundant point, but then the jumpscare will be kind of amusing. The interesting sprite that chases you will be a character called “Voldemort” from a game called “Harry Potter”.

Shunnosuke: The player needs to avoid getting ran down by the killer sprite by answering scientific questions, and answering them correctly. Getting the answer wrong will cause the character to slow down. The player should now which route to take to get to the end, or else s/he will get killed.

Shunnosuke: The player will use the up, down, left, and right arrows to control where the sprite moves throughout the maze.

Shunnosuke: The player will use the up, down, left, and right arrows to control where the sprite moves throughout the maze. When encountering a dot, the player will answer a question, which will be straight to the point and won’t vary.

Group: There will be no overarching story between our stories. There will be no introductory story before the animation goes to the hub where the player can choose the game.

Shunnosuke: Though in my story I mentioned how there will be officers, there will only be two characters in my game. The player will play as Butterbeer, and the player will be chased by another character called “Voldemort”. The Mug of Butterbeer will literally be this mug of butterbeer while Voldemort will be this ugly creature with a weird looking nose.

Group: There will be a sprite in the hub. greeting the player. It will tell the player that they can choose the desired game to be brought to the actual game. Below is the sprite from Scratch that will be used in the hub.  

Shunnosuke: There are no levels in my game. The player just has to answer the question correctly, and don’t fall for any traps. When deceased, the player will just have to do better the next time they try and get a better high score the next time they play.

Group: There will be no levels present in all the games because each group member is doing their own game, and there is no connection between the games.

Shunnosuke: The boss of the game is technically “Voldemort”. He will be chasing the player around the maze and will never stop. The only way to avoid this sprite is to just keep getting the questions right. “Voldemort’s” speed can’t change, but the player’s speed can change, and if it decreases, it will seem like Voldy is going faster, though actually the player is going slower. This is the boss of the game.

Shunnosuke: Since the map is going to be on a maze, there will obviously be traps. The traps are going to be when the player runs into a dead end, and where it will be stuck in a corner where “Dismantled Chica” will then feed on the sprite. This is technically the trap of the game.

Shunnosuke: By leveling up, the player will answer a question. If the player gets the question right, the sprite will go a tiny bit faster than the current speed it’s in. So technically the increase of speed will be the leveling up part of the game.

Shunnosuke: The maze will look like a legit maze with a pretty sick looking sprite which will be Dismantled Chica and the narrator, phone guy. The maze will be one of those classic mazes. Overall, I am not too worried about the graphics though.

Group: The only graphics in the hub will be a background, the sprite that greets the player, and the symbols the player can click on to go to that game. The background for the hub will be a plain white background. The sprite that greets the player is shown below. The symbols for each game are also displayed below.     

Shunnosuke: There will be three sounds throughout the game. The first sound that the player will encounter is the kill sound that Dismantled Chica will make when killing the player. The second sound is the end sound in which you complete the game. The third sound will be a sound that will be heard when at the last slide describing how the creator would like to thank the player for playing the game.

Group: There will be slight background music playing in the background so that a boring environment can be avoided.

Shunnosuke: The academic content will be based on what students have learned throughout the year on the course of science. Questions will be one word answers and answers that will not vary. An example will be, “Which part of the microscope supports the microscope?”.

Group: There will be no academic content within the main hub. There will be academic content within each game.

Shunnosuke: Mug of Butterbeer, Maze, Question Sprite 1,  Question Sprite 2,  Question Sprite 3, Question Sprite 4, Question Sprite 5, Question Sprite 6, Question Sprite 7, Question Sprite 8, White Backdrop, “Game Over Backdrop”, Starting Black Backdrop, and Hufflepuff Crest sign.

Shunnosuke: Scratch, Google Images, Computer.

Shunnosuke: For my individual game, I will be doing all the work by myself in the making of the game. I will not be remixing a an existing game, but I will add academic content based on the subject science. I will also be working on the group game for the hub where all our individual games will be connected. I will be making the hub backdrops.

Group: The whole group will be working on the project together. No one else will work on this project, unless Shantanu guides our group with some help.

Shunnosuke: 12 Days

Shunnosuke: I will work on my game at home and at school. Also on Google Hangouts.

Group: The group will be meeting in Tech class and over Google Hangouts. We will not be meeting outside of class physically.

Shunnosuke: I will be spending $0.00

Group: The group will be spending no money on this project.

Shunnosuke

Arif

Chloe

Christy

Task

5/21

5/22

5/23

5/24

5/25

5/26

5/27

5/28

5/29

5/30

5/31

6/1

Create Shunnosuke’s Characters

Create Arif’s

Characters

Create Chloe’s

Characters

Create Christy’s Characters

Create Shunnosuke’s Backdrops

Create Arif’s Backdrops

Create Chloe’s Backdrops

Create Christy’s Backdrops

Create Group

Backdrops

Create Questions for Sunnosuke’s Game

Create

Questions for Arif’s Game

Create Questions for Chloe’s Game

Create Questions for Christy’s Game

Create Bosses for Shunnosuke’s Game

Create Bosses for Arif’s Game

Create Bosses for Chloe’s Game

Create Bosses for Christy’s Game

Animate story for Shunnosuke’s Game

Animate story for Arif’s Game

Animate story for Chloe’s Game

Animate story for Christy’s Game

Animate Shunnosuke’s Game

Animate Arif’s Game

Animate Chloe’s Game

Animate Christy’s Game

Animate Group’s Hub

Credits for Shunnosuke’s Game

Credits for Arif’s Game

Credits for Chloe’s Game

Credits for Christy’s Game

Credits for Group’s Hub

Import Shunnosuke’s Scripts

Import Arif’s Scripts

Import Chloe’s Scripts

Import Christy’s Scripts

Create scripts that connect connects all the games to the hub

Test Shunnosuke’s game to make sure it works

Test Arif’s game to make sure it works

Test Chloe’s game to make sure it works

Test Christy’s game to make sure it works

Publish the game

• Individual Developer’s Log (Shunnosuke):

• Date: Friday, May 22, 2015

• Time: 8:25 A.M.-8:55 A.M.

• Location: BSGE

• During tech class today, I spent time working on my animated game on a software called “Scratch”. Since I already started over the weekend, I was practically finished with my project except for the fact that I was going to change my sprites. So what I did was that I just made Pacman chase the other sprite by giving him motion points he will glide too. Though I didn’t finish what I started, this is what I accomplished out of my work today.

Christy

Today, in tech class, we tried to work as a group, but it didn’t go as well. We planned to work on the hub together, but Chloe and I ended up working on it, while Shunnosuke isolated himself to do his individual project and Arif did the same. Although only 2 of us worked on it, Chloe and I created the scripts, sprites, backdrops, and programmed the group hub. We didn’t accomplish as much as we anticipated because we had poor internet. The website wouldn’t load and Scratch was very slow as we tried to drag the blocks from the menu to the place where scripts are created. Although this was a difficulty, we were able to overcome this obstacle by being patient and using the time it took to load the page for brainstorming ideas. That way, once the page loaded, we wouldn’t have to waste anymore of our time and try to at least accomplish something. Next meeting, I hope that our group is more connected and improves our communication skills so that not just half the group contributes to the work that should be done as a group.

Chloe

Today, Christy and I worked on the group game while Arif and Shunnosuke worked on their individual projects. We created the background for the group project and animated the sprite to greet and guide the player in choosing which game to play. The bad internet slowed us down and was very frustrating to work with. With patience, we were still able to get something done.

Arif

Shunnosuke

Today, we had our first group meeting. I isolated myself to do my individual project. I heard from Chloe though that Christy and her created the scripts sprite backdrops and programmed the group hub. They didn’t accomplish as much as they anticipated because of the poor internet connection. The scratch website was very slow. While it was taking forever, the 3 of us were brainstorming ideas to make this happen. I hope next time, our group will be in more unison and improves our communication skills.

• Individual Developer’s Log (Shunnosuke)

• Date: Friday, May 29, 2015

• Time: 8:15 am- 9:00 am.

• Location: Tech class

• In tech class, I was adding this jumpscare affect to the end of the game as the killer screen thing

• Group Developers Log

• Date: Friday, May 29, 2015

• Time: 8:15 A.M.-9:00 A.M.

• Location: Tech Class

Christy

Today, we had another group meeting. We made sure that the group hub was the way we wanted it to be. Because none of us were completely done with our games, we decided to help each other with our games to make sure that it worked. Some of us weren’t able to have a sprite a certain way and some of us were simply having trouble on how to animate our games. The scripts were very difficult and asking each other for help allowed us to work around having such difficult blocks. There were no difficulties faced during this group meeting. Although this was a group meeting, it was also an individual session because since there wasn’t much to do as a group, we worked on our individual projects to make sure it would be done by Sunday night. We also made plans on when the next group meetings would be so that we could meet over Google Hangouts to finalize our group project.

Chloe

There was another group meeting in class today. We completed the group hub and showed it to each group member to get their approval. We also discussed our individual games and helped each other with problems and difficulties. We set times on when we were going to meet over the weekend to join our games together.

Arif

Shunnosuke

•  

• Date: Saturday, May 30, 2015

• Time: 6:20am -  7:10am & 9:40pm - 10:45pm

• Location: At home

• Today, I practically finished my game except I added a few changes such as changing the sprites and adding the finishing backdrops. I still kind of had trouble with having pacman chasing Jughead without actually just going through the black lines. Since I couldn’t figure out how to do this, I kept searching and searching on the scratch wiki and found nothing so I made my game a 2 player game.

• Group Developer Log

• Date: Saturday, May 30, 2015

• Time: 8:45 P.M.-9:00 P.M.

• Location: Over Google Hangouts

Christy

Today, our meeting wasn’t very productive because only Chloe and I were at the meeting. We made it clear at our last meeting that we would be meeting at this time to work on the group project, but only half the group was present. We made sure that this time would be best for all 4 of us so that we could all have a proper meeting and get at least something done. Although only 2 of us were at the meeting, Chloe and I made me most of our effort. We wrote the description/credits for the group project that would give the player instructions when they open up the game. We also worked on our individual descriptions/credits as well. Chloe and I helped each other on what to include because we were stuck at times for what to have for a description. The only difficulty we faced was trying to communicate with our other group members because the deadline is quickly approaching and we have to get this project done quickly. We made it clear that the next meeting will be when we put the entire project together, so we should have a more productive meeting at that time. We are slightly behind schedule because I was hoping that the project would be put together by now, but since only half the group is present, we aren’t able to accomplish the final product this early.

Chloe

In this group meeting only Christy and I were present. At first we weren’t sure what to do without the other two group members. We wanted to be productive so we wrote the group and individual descriptions/credits on a separate document.

Arif

Shunnosuke

In today's group meeting, I wasn't present because I had 3 baseball games, so I couldn't make it but I still hope Christy and Chloe achieved something from it.

• Group Developers Log

• Date: Sunday, May 31, 2015

• Time: 8:45 P.M.-11:00 P.M

• Location: Over Google Hangouts

Christy

Today, we worked on dragging our scripts into the group animation. I dragged all my sprites, backdrops, and sounds on the group account into the animation. I reprogrammed the animation so that it would start once the icon was clicked. This took longer than I expected because I didn’t realize how many blocks and scripts I had. I then ran into another difficulty that was one of the variables didn’t work. The game is a platformer game that has a variable of “scrollx” to make it seem that Mario is moving on the platforms. Although I did have the sprites and variables all present, nothing would work. I spend hours trying to fix it, experimenting with different things that might cause this, but nothing worked. Although the meeting went until 11, I stayed up until 12 trying to figure out a solution. However, nothing changed. I hope that tomorrow I can figure out a solution. Also, only Chloe and I were on, although I made it clear that there would be a meeting. Arif hasn’t been on for the past week and Shunnosuke won’t communicate. I hope having a meeting tomorrow will get the project done. Shunnosuke also deleted the group hub, and I was very upset and had to waste a lot of time redoing it, while it wasn’t my fault.

Chloe

Today in the group meeting only Christy and I were present. There has been communication issues between two of my group members. Christy worked on the group hub because a group member deleted the one we made before. We will start transferring our individual games into the group game.

Arif

Shunnosuke

• Date: Sunday, June 1, 2015

• Time: 4: 30 - 5:00 pm

• Location: At home

• Today, I completed my individual project. I animated the rest of the questions and finalized everything to make sure it was ready to go for the meeting later tonight.

• Group Developer’s Log

• Date: Monday, June 1, 2015

• Time: 3:45 P.M.-5:00 P.M and then 9:00 P.M.-9:30 P.M.

• Location: Over Google Hangouts

Christy

Today, we tested our games and put the final touches on the game. We were all on, except for Arif because I don’t think he has finished his game and he hasn’t contacted the group once ever since the start of the project. We published the game and tested the games to see if the scripts worked. I continued to see if there was a solution by asking my group members, but we weren’t able to find the source of the problem. No changes were made because it was very simple to test the games and to see that they all worked. One difficulty was faced when Shunnosuke wanted to download a song and he complained it was laggy because the group was on the same account. However, I need to be on the account because I was testing the game and needed to finalize and copy the links into the project journal.

Chloe

Arif

Shunnosuke

Group Developer’s Logs: Plan for Improvement

Christy

To improve our game, we can change a few aspects of our game. Our top priority is having all the games connect back to the main group hub once the game is over. This would save the player the hassle of pressing the green flag again when the game is over. Another top priority is getting Arif to share his game. Arif never completed his individual project, so we were never able to import the scripts, and it didn’t make the “group” animation complete. A top priority of our game is to create a credits roll for our game within our animation. We have some of the credits for Chloe and I’s game in the description box off to the side, but Arif and Shunnosuke never gave credits to the graphics they used. We have to include the credits in the game because it is a requirement/constraint for the group project. Making my game actually work is another priority our group has. Because of the Backpack feature, my game is broken in the group animation, but it works in my individual project. I think to fix this, I have to redo all the scripts and sprites for the group animation. We also have to improve the chrome of our group hub.

Chloe

Our top priorities to improve our group game is to get Arif to complete his individual game and connect it to the group hub. We also need to make sure all of the games work and a credits roll is included in the group game. We included credits for some of the games in the description box but it was a requirement for a credits roll to be in the game. To make things easier for the player all of the games should connect back to the group hub once the game is over. We realized how it was annoying and a hassle to keep pressing the green flag and hearing the sprite talk again. To improve my individual game I should add a study guide in the beginning of my game. I realized how my game could be very confusing for players who know very little Chinese. A study guide could possibly help them.

Arif

I will need to improve EVERYTHING, because i didn’t finnish.   

Shunnosuke

Since our game isn’t the best it can possibly be, we will improve our game to make it the best it can possibly be. First, Arif must upload his blocks from his account to the group account. Then, after finishing the game, all games will send the player back to the group hub. Then Chloe has to complete labeling her fruits to say whether the player will be playing in the “Classic” “Zen” or “Arcade” mode. Christy will then fix her game because it didn’t work. This is what we will do to fix our game for ze group.

Legend of Zelda: The Land of the Lost

Scratch Game

Investigate

Brainstorm:

• Angry Bird design format (minigame): https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/56537200/

• Legend Of Zelda

• World of Goo

• Mario is Missing

• Village adventure (hub): https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/57445334/

• Glass Tower (concept of math?)

• Defend your castle

• Brick Breaker

• Don’t Starve (survive __ nights)

Game Mechanic- 4 Day Cycle; Music (play the right notes on the ocarina), Math (Angry Birds), English (figure out puzzles on which path to take, etc), Science (obtain items that will either cancel out the chemical blocking the way or make it stronger and also mixing chemicals to make potions that will help or kill you)

There’s also a tutorial world that teaches the mechanics and how to play (movement)

Chrome- defeat the monsters and finish the game (there’s a score in the right hand corner, indicating how many people beat the game and your health). Also educational aspects (science, music, english and math) There will also be historical figures such as George Washington somewhere hidden in a puzzle that can tell about his life. There are also easter eggs (special references).

There are also unlockable players. The main character will be Link (as a sprite). He will do different actions based off of what keys you press.

Obstacles: Wrong answers will decrease the health (by 50) and if you die you must restart the game. There will be 1,000 health in the beginning. The boss with decrease your health by 100 each time you lose 100 health, you are asked a science question (oxidation) and if you get it wrong, you lose 50 health, if you get it right, you don’t lose health. If you lose all your health you die and must restart. There is a potions option that the player can choose, but only up to five times. They can lose life if they mix the wrong substances.

Objective: To get through the three days to be able to return home from the current world he is trapped in. It brings him back home to where he was before, and if you win, you also become a hero for the world because you saved it from the king (boss).

David: The day 2 with the puzzle that has George Washington in a dungeon helping him escape to use his knowledge to find out how to unlock the next gate.

Design

Game Mechanic-

Rules- Players are allowed to interact with the different areas from the hub. There are four worlds that can be accessed through the hub. One each for Music, Math, English, and Science. The Song of Time can be played on the Ocarina to return to the Dawn of the First Day.

Gameplay- You have four days to accomplish the four dungeons, one for math, science, english, and history. After completing the four dungeons, you are faced with the final boss.

User Interface/Game controls- O to access the Ocarina, Arrow keys and A to play the Ocarina, WASD to move, Z is Sword, X is shield, C is Special (Magic, Bow, Hookshot?)

Objectives-

Story- You have been transported to Termina. Termina is a strange world, and you have found a place where you can jump into four dungeons. You jump into the first dungeon, the music dungeon, and you have to play notes on the Ocarina to advance. The first day is completed. The second dungeon is the history dungeon, and you have to help George Washington out of the history temple. After you solve the puzzle, he thanks you but you are interrupted by a mini-boss of the dungeon, Dark Link. You defeat him and move back to the hub, and it is now the third day. You head towards the math dungeon, and you have to solve math equations angry birds style. The final day, you solve the science dungeon and move towards the final boss. After defeating the final boss, Link dances and there might be unlockable characters in which you can use to play again, or play the game again to get those unlockable characters.

Characters: Link, Kirby (Can fly), Sonic (can run fast), Mario (is powerful), Dark Link, and Ganondorf

Levels: The different dungeons; go through all four of them to reach the final boss and defeat it to finish the game.

Obstacles-

Bosses-  Dark Link has 20 health, but is quick and hard to attack.

Puzzles/Questions/Riddles/Traps: The various academic questions that are presented in each level.

Leveling Up: You level up as you progress through the game by unlocking different items, some to create potion.

Chrome-

Art/Graphics: LOZ scenes?

Sound Effects/Music: Zelda Music (mp3), Music: http://www.bensound.com/

Academic Content: Science, Math, Music, English

Science- Mixing chemicals for different effects

Math- Answering questions correctly

Music- Playing the right notes

English- Figuring out the “fancy language” (the puzzle/riddles) to advance in the game. Ex. a fork in the path and a sign with a riddle which tells you which path to take; the other will lead to your death.

http://a.imageshack.us/img96/5259/linksprites.jpg

Project Plan

Resources

David - English level with George Washington and credits

• Time: 12 days

• Money: $0

Action Plan

David

Charlotte

Lars

Erica

All

Task

5/21

5/22

5/23

5/24

5/25

5/26

5/27

5/28

5/29

5/30

5/31

6/1

Create Boss Sprites and Link

Make title page

Make tutorial

Make First level (music)

Make Second Level (English)

Make Third Level (Math)

Make Final Level (Science)

Make Potion mechanic

Make Credits

Make cutscenes

Work on hub

Put everything together

Test it

Create

Individual Logs: 5/22, 8:30-9:00 AM, BSGE

David- Today I worked on the second level, and I imported one sprite. All I could get done was creating ScrollX and X-Velocity Variables. I was trying to create a way for Link to accelerate up until a certain speed, then decelerate when the right key wasn’t pressed. In order to make platforms, I must use ScrollX to test the X Position of the sprite. Also, I imported a background just for the second level.

5/29/15 45 minutes school

5/29/15 20 minutes home

Plan for Improvement

6/5/15, 8:20 A.M., School

David-

Lars-

Charlotte -

Erica-

Super Mehan Bros

by: 20moonl

Investigate

Laura:(ideas)

Math: Super Mehan Bros

Draw sprite or Mr.Mehan and then play like Super Mario Bros. When collecting gold coins, math question pops up.

Design

Laura:

Game Mechanics:

Rules-  This game is a keyboard (arrows and spacebar) game and you can only move left right, using the arrows, and jump up, pressing the spacebar. Once you collect a coin, a math question will pop up. If you get the question wrong, you lose a life. You have 3 lives. Jump on top of the Goombas, to gain a life.

Gameplay-  The sprite will be able to move using the arrows and the spacebar on the keyboard. The left arrow is used to move left and the right arrow is used to move right. You use the spacebar to jump. When you move onto new levels, the Goombas will move at a faster speed and the scenery will change.

User Interface/Game Control-  The right and left arrow key can be used to move along the platform and the spacebar is used to jump on the Goombas the come at you. When you collect the gold coins a math question will pop up. You type the answer you think is correct. You can only get 3 questions wrong or you're dead. The only way to earn a life is to jump on a Goomba. Keep playing the game until you get to the last level.

Objectives:

Story-  The game starts with the sprite on a simple platform with 0 Goombas. As the levels get gradually higher, the harder it gets. You keep going through the worlds until                           you see Peach in the final level. You have to beat the evil kid that doesn’t do homework to save her.

Characters-  Mr.Mehan: He is from the world of The Lao Shi's and has to save his true love Peach. He has to go through harsh conditions to save her but no fear, he will come for her no matter what. Goombas: They do not want Mr. Mehan to save Peach. They are all of Peach’s ex’s that want revenge on her. Since they were so full of revenge, they turned into brown ugly mushrooms that can walk. Peach: Peach is Mr. Mehan’s love. She loves him unlike the other people she broke up with. One of her ex’s handed her over to Mr. Mehan’s worst enemy and now she is in an maxi-glass ball.

Levels-  In the first level there would be no Goombas and you just have to get to the end of the map. The second level consists of 2 Goombas and gaps in the map where you could fall down and lose a life. The map is also a iceland map. The third level consists of 4 Goombas at a faster pace than the second level and harder obstacles to get through. This map is a map where you are in the clouds on giant mushrooms. The final level is in a castle and you meet the boss at the end. You have to defeat the boss who is very fast and you have to jump on him 5 times to kill him. But if you die, you have to start at level 3 again.

Obstacles:

Bosses-   There is one major boss at the end and that is the kid that doesn’t do homework. He has a green and yellow stripe shirt and he hates Mr. Mehan. He will give you very hard questions and you are timed on this before he throws a math notebook at you.

Puzzles/Riddles-  The questions that pop up every time you collect the coins will gradually get harder each level. You will need sixth and maybe a little seventh grade knowledge to answer the questions. In the boss level, he will test your knowledge in math and these will be the hardest question in the whole game. You are timed on the last level questions and if you don’t answer them in the given time you lose a life.

Chrome-

Graphics-  The scenery of the game will be pixelated and have simple colors not detailed designs. The characters will also be pixelated and all the items too.

Sound/Music-  The music will be mario brothers music throughout the whole game.

Academic Content-   What my game teaches is math that sixth and seventh graders learn everyday. It teaches about fraction, decimals, box plots, etc…

Plan

Resources:

Materials-

• Mr. Laskowski Sprite

• “Papi”

• Mr. Mehan Sprite

• Mr. Lakhaney Spite

• Peach Sprite

• Goomba Sprites

• The Kid that Doesn’t Do Homework Sprite

• Wonders Of the World Sprites (7)

Tools-

• Pamela’s Device at home

• Laura’s Device at home

• James’ Device at home

• Jasir’s Device at home

• MacBook 103

• MacBook 113

• MacBook 111

• MacBook 117

• Google Images

• Scratch.com

• Any other offsite image editing software

Labor-

• Laura is doing the math game online. Creating her own sprites and backdrops.

• Pamela is doing the English game. Creating her own sprites and backdrops.

• James is doing the science game. Creating his own sprites and backdrops.

• Jasir is doing the humanities game. Creating his own sprites and backdrops.

Location-

School and Home, and possibly together on Google Docs and Hangouts.

Action Plan

Laura

Pamela

James

Jasir

Title (May-June 2015)

20

21

22

23

24

25

26

27

28

29

30

31

1

2

Creating ‘Math’ Sprites

Creating ‘English’ Sprites

Creating ‘Humanities’ Sprites

Creating “Science” Sprites

Create math platform

Create English platform

Create humanities platform

Create science platform

Create math boss sprites

Create english boss sprites

Create humanities boss sprites

Create science boss sprites

Animate math game

Animate English game

Animate Humanities game

Animate Science game

Import games into one

Developers Logs

Laura Moon, 5/27/15, 8:15-9:00AM, BSGE

Today I worked on my Scratch project. I changed a lot of things around because in the first level there are goombas and a new enemy koopa troopas. I also took out the fact that goombas will give you an extra life. YOU CANNOT GET AN EXTRA LIVES UNTIL YOU DIE! Also, in the second level there a new enemy called a Pokey and if you touch then, you lose a life. In the third level there is a new enemy called the Bullet Bill and if he touches you, you are dead.

Laura Moon, 5/29/15, 8:15-9:00AM, BSGE

Today, I figured out how to put in the math questions into the coin sprite. Shantanu taught me how by telling me I have to create a list and then doing the Control blocks and answer blocks. i sorta didn’t understand and I failed at trying to put the math questions in. My boss turned out to be really weird because it was just a floating head basically. Math questions will pop up randomly not when you collect coins anymore.

GROUP LOG- JUNE 1ST, 2015

6/1/15, 6:00PM- 11:45PM, Home-

Jasir-

JUNE 1st AGAIN (LATER ON)

6/1/15, 11:45PM- 6/2/15, 2:00AM, Home-

Evaluate

Laura- Link to individual Project:

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/63705222/

Everyone (sahawaii)- Link to group game project:

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/65209188/