All news in Gaming and New Media

Ayiti: The Game of Life Summary

by: 20mehtar
Ayiti: The Cost of Life

Ayiti: The Cost of LifeThe game on ayiti.globalkids.org is a game about a black family of 5 people trying to survive in the land of Haiti. In the game, there are four strategies that you can use to try and beat the game, education, health, happiness, and money.

I played this game three times and I used three different strategies to try and beat the game - education, money, and health.

Each time, I played with a different strategy in the game, I tried to get each person in the family to have a great amount of it. For example, if I played with the strategy of money, then I tried to make each person in the family do activities that give them a little education like volunteering and going to school. Though, each time I played with the different strategies, I lost the game because the family ran out of money, got sick, and died.

Even though, I tried to equally make each person in the family work and rest, I still lost the game each time i played.

March Madness

by: pridgeon8

Ok so its March and that only means one thing, March madness. This basketball tournament is played every year with the hopes of crowning a new king. Every basketball fan in the united states tries to watch these games. Its conference verses conference and it makes for a goo matchup. But I think the reason so many people watch this tournament is there is always one cinderella team. Now when I say a cinderella team I am referring to a team that is not suppose to win. Every odd in the world is against them but somehow they pull it off. That and the fact that every game in this tournament is close. There are wild halfcourt shots at the buzzer and clutch free throws at the line. It gives fans a new team to hope for and its just a great amount of joy to watch for everyone.

Now i am on to the bracket play. This is a system in which they arrange the teams. It is turned into a friendly competition with friends and family. YOu get to pick teams to win the first games in then if you think that they will keep on winning you keep picking them. You are probably thinking, well this sounds easy....Well its really not almost always the number one seeds get knocked off and the two seeds do get knocked off as well. What i mean when i say knocked of is when a very good team loses to a not so good team. Its a game of chance and I have had a blast doing it every year.

In what ways can you use the Internet whist avoiding the risks?

by: 20akyuza
Internet

On the web, it might look like a reliable piece of modern media and it is clean on the exterior. But in the inside, there are some or more hazards where ever you go, whether you are typing a book report or searching the online dictionary. Sometimes you can avoid risks by checking if the website is okay for any usage. If the URL starts with http:, or https:, it is clean. You can also check the "About" section in a website you don't trust to check if there are trojans (hidden viruses in an app or web page) or phishing issues, which is an online way to get someone's password for their email, bank account, etc. If the website says it is clean, it probably is. If it doesn't have an "About" section, get out of the site immediately. Also, you should be aware of hackers and code-breakers, so stay away from any application that hackers can gat any access code of any sort. Also avoid websites that have not enough security from hackers. Another tip is if you want to use some one else's information, image, document, etc, you not only need to cite that in a lab report, but you need to check if it is in Copyright (©). If it is, then you need to get permission to use it, and that would be a hassle. You need information that is in Creative Commons, or filter out the copyright files [if using images websites, like Google Images] so it would be much easier to use files, but you still have to cite it though! If you want to avoid any risks, then you could follow some of these pieces of advice. The Internet is dangerous enough to crash your computer, and you can be able to prevent them from penetrating your computer.

Internet is Innocent

by: atang

Weblog
In what way is the internet potentially dangerous? Our world in slowly progressing and becoming better and advance. But there is always some cons to something new. The internet, fairly new and a place where people post what they are doing, talk to friends and meet new people. But in the world some people don’t respect others which leads to things like cyberbullying, where people talk negative things about other people. In social media like facebook and in the gaming industry cyberbully is becoming an ongoing problem same with sexual predators. But the internet is not becoming dangerous it is the people on the internet that are the cause of these problems.

The internet itself is of no harm. Its the people behind the scenes and their actions that turns the internet from something harmless to something potentially dangerous. Like the internet, guns and knives can be use for the good or the bad, all of it depends on how people use it. The like many other devices the person using it is responsible for example on kqed.org they said that “Tevon Harris, a 22 year old in Houston, TX, plead guilty to two charges of child sex trafficking. He would meet young girls online, and gain their trust by talking to them about their goals and dreams. He would tell them that he was going to help them become models, and ask to meet up in person. When he picked them up, he took them to hotel rooms, forced them to take drugs, raped them, and took away their phones—cutting off communication with the outside world. He took their photos and posted them online as advertisements for prostitution. Then, he forced them to meet with the people who would buy them online, and kept all of the money that they received.”. If Tevon never decided to do such an act this would have never happened.

I personally believe that cyberbully is another thing that causes the internet to become something negative. In my experience I have played games that players would talk vulgar and negative things about me and another players, when in actuality they are hardly doing any better than the rest of us. I think for cyberbully the players should either be more nicer and not talk negative about others or they should not talk at all about others. On www.ongamers.com they said “Carter was arrested in March after comments made on Facebook following a League of Legends match. After another player called him crazy, Carter responded by saying "I'm fucked in the head alright, I think Imma shoot up a kindergarten and watch the blood of the innocent reign down."
He reportedly followed up these comments with "lol" and "jk". A woman in Canada saw his comments and informed the Canadian authorities, “
As you can see your action will affect you in amazing ways like what happened to Carter. Because the women failed to understood gaming terms for “just kidding” Carter ended up in jail. If he never said such ridiculous things it would not have ended that way for him.

In conclusion I believe the internet is not the problem per say but the actions of the users behind the internet that is the problem. If we learn to rethink our action the internet will only be a place to post things and have fun online in games.

Juan's Animated Introduction

Here’s my animated introduction:

My name is Juan Carlos Alejo. I am from Mexico. I am 15 years old. I was born on April 7, 19-99. My mom is Maria de Lourdes and my dad is Lucas Alejo. I have two siblings, an older sister named Norma and a younger brother named Luis. We live in Sunset Park, Brooklyn.

Just last year, I was living in a village in Mexico called the Tuxtepec state of Oaxaca. It is a place with lots of trees, warm temperatures, many lakes, rivers and ponds. There is a little wildlife. It feels good be there because there is more free space. It is a poor place and there are no large buildings, shopping centers, or libraries. When I'm there, I think, “This is the place where I spent my childhood, where I was born, where I grew up, where I saw many people in my family die. Beyond the birdsong, the sound of the cars is heard, and you can see many flowers, trees, and many animals. Also you can smell the great aroma of food cooking and natural fruits, almost everything.

Today, in New York, I am studying at a school whose teachers are good. My favorite class is art, an issue that I got this year I hope to do many things in the coming year. I would like to learn to drive, cook well. I'm good at volleyball because I learned when I was 10. My uncle showed me each to go park. Outside of school, I do not usually go because I could lose myself in this great city.
That is my introduction.

What new developments (social media) will be created?

by: 18cheunga
A bunch of popular social media websites and the developments of them.

New developments like the iPhone, Android, iPad and gaming systems are very popular in the lives of children nowadays. In general, social media is different than what it was in the past. People in the 20th and earlier centuries did not experience the internet and electronics as it is in the present. Children today are lucky enough something like that is even invented for them to enjoy and use daily for their necessities. Compared to the past, social media has expanded and it now plays a big role in the lives of people.

Social media has become very popular as a form of communication than it was in the past. The people born in the 20th century are not as lucky as those born in the 21st century. Sure parents of today’s children or people in general then maybe had some technology or form of communication, but today’s world has so much new developments/improvements. In the present, we can easily pick up our phone or log onto a social media website to chat and contact our friends and family. Not only are electronics more popularly used, so is social media. This is because of how efficient and easy it is to access it. Interaction is literally one reach away and it was not always like that. So kids and adults today should be so grateful for these opportunities.

Media not only helps interaction, it helps obtain knowledge for many people, especially students. It is not used just for games or entertainment, social media is also an easy access to information. If you were a student needing to find information on a specific topic, it is easier than ever to obtain what you need. In the past, more people relied on books and it was really hard to find one specifically for what you need. Now with Google, Bing or other search engines, you can literally type exactly what you want. The internet can be fun as well as useful.

The success and benefits of social media is very dependent on the people using it. How do the creators and people in charge of social media and websites succeed? It is the people using it. If they like the product and they continue to go on it multiple times, then the creators are making the money. They realize what a success their “invention” is and how useful it is to people. The more people, the more money because social media is for people,

Technology has been a success on the time span of at least 14 years. Social media is one of the developments that has expanded and it used by people everywhere. In the last 1-2 decades, there has been expansion of the internet and what kids use today. It is used for knowledge, communication, games, and more. It is most likely that there will be new developments in the future since this future that is our present now has been so successful.

Citation: Peltola, Tero, and Saku J. Mäkinen. "Influence Of The Adoption And Use Of Social Media Tools On Absorptive Capacity In New Product Development." Engineering Management Journal 26.3 (2014): 45-51. Academic Search Premier. Web. 16 Oct. 2014.

Picture Credit: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Social_networking_services.jpg

Michael's Animated Introduction

my name is Michael. I live in brooklyn new york. That's my family: my brother Brian and my mom Evelise. I study at cobble hill high school, and I work at a grocery store in Sunset Park.
For me, Cobble Hill is different from other schools in Brooklyn because you can’t bring your phone to school. I like this school though, especially English class, gym, and math. My life outside of school is different because friends who know me at school think I’m stupid. I don’t know why they say this, but maybe it is because I am shy in class. Outside of school, my friends know that I am smart because I am more social.
I am good at fixing bikes, playing baseball, and being polite. In the future, I would like to like join the military or work as a police officer.

Ronald's Animated Introduction

I am Ronald Leonardo and i was born on March 18 at the San Isidro Military Hospital D.R. I came from Dominican Republic to N.Y.C. When i have 14 years old and now i live in Brooklyn.
I liked eat so many types of food, Include: Yaniqueque, McDonald’s!!! Cat meat, Beef, Fruits, Mero and especially cookies.
I liked study and I have good friends in the school and around my house, I do pretty well in my classwork. (EVEN THOUGH I DONT SHOW THAT SO MUCH, BUT I LIKE STUDY)
I like to use my Bike with my friends and do mountain biking When the temperature is so cold, Even though i have a muscular problem in my leg, When I began to have this problem, I had to stay home for two months and rest.
In Dominican Republic i love to swim and play American Football on the beach; I loved riding on boats there. Other sports i enjoy: Baseball and Basketball.
I want go to Santa Monica California because it reminds me of Santo Domingo’s beaches and I’d like to surf there. I want to live there when i become a Private Pilot; And when i know how to fly a Privates Jets, I will be one of the best pilots.
I love when the temperature is so cold and i stay in my house (You know) chiling playing V.G. with my best friends. Even though the school does not give me time to play, Why came home late because I left off, and to top it off i have to do the H.W. And I can only play Friday, Saturday and Sunday. But anyway!!! ThankYou for listening, For I have to go eat, you know... That food is not cool... And my mother would not be angry. Peace and goodbye.

I am Ronald Leonardo and i was born on March 18 at the San Isidro Military Hospital D.R. I came from Dominican Republic to N.Y.C. When I have 14 years old and now I live in Brooklyn.
I liked study and I have good friends in the school and around my house, I do pretty well in my classwork. (EVEN THOUGH I DON'T SHOW THAT SO MUCH, BUT I LIKE STUDY)
I love when the temperature is so cold and i stay in my house (You know) chilling playing V.G. with my best friends. Even though the school does not give me time to play, Why came home late because I left off, and to top it off i have to do the H.W. And I can only play Friday, Saturday and Sunday. But anyway!!! Thank You for listening, For I have to go eat, you know... That food is not cool... And my mother would not be angry. Peace and goodbye.