All news in Teachers Teaching Teachers

The Owl (Unit 3 Story)

by: 21smithm

My project shows the importance of acceptance. Within my story, the townspeople are afraid of the owl so they make rash decisions. It is their lack of acceptance that leads to the exile of town members. They are afraid and refuse to accept, and so their choices lead to horrible outcomes. It is their lack of acceptance that causes horrible circumstances and events in the future.

Act 1

(OWL flies offscreen, to the village)

TOWN MEMBER 1

(covers eyes to look at OWL) What beast is that? I have never seen such a thing

LISA

It looks harmless. We should leave it on it’s way.

OWL

Caw!

TOWN MEMBER 1

Shush, LISA. (looking at OWL) It speaks! What are you, beast? Will you harm us?

OWL

Caw!

TOWN MEMBER 1

It must mean to hurt us!

LISA

It probably just wants to sit in the sun. I bet it was curious about our town.

TOWN MEMBER 1

We should tell the town of this terrifying creature!

LISA

It’s just a bird. There’s no need to be so melodramatic.

TOWN MEMBER 1

SILENCE! I MUST WARN OUR TOWN OF THIS TROUBLING DISCOVERY.

(runs off screen with lisa)

OWL

(flies away, cawing)

(several days later)

OWL

(caws in the distance, flys on screen above the town)

(on screen are LISA, OWL, TOWN LEADER, AND TOWN MEMBER 1)

TOWN MEMBER 1

I see it!

TOWN LEADER

Is that the beast that threatened you?

TOWN MEMBER 1

Yes! We must protect ourselves and kill it!

LISA

NO! It’s done nothing to harm us! This is uncalled for!

TOWN LEADER

Lure it down! We must save our town!

LISA

No, please! Don’t hurt it!

TOWN LEADER

What other options do we have?

LISA

(thinking) Should I offer to show how tame it is even though that may lead to trickery? Or should I tell it to run away from these heartless bastards?

Moral Decision

Act 2 A

LISA

If I can call it down, will it prove to you that it’s harmless and won’t hurt us?

TOWN LEADER

I make no promises.

LISA

In that case, I won’t help you.

TOWN LEADER

...Fine. If you can prove it tame enough to be lured into this cage, I’ll let it go and never bother it again.

LISA

Promise?

TOWN MEMBER

Don’t do it Leader!

TOWN LEADER

I agree.

TOWN MEMBER

Noooooooo!

LISA

Come here, kind beast!

OWL

(flies down)

LISA

See! The OWL is peaceful and means no harm.

TOWN MEMBER

BYE BEAST (sets cage on fire)

LISA

NO

TOWN LEADER

No! You defied my decision. I tried to do what was best for the town and you went against it.

TOWN MEMBER

I just wanted the best for our town!

TOWN LEADER

That may be true, but it was very cruel and irresponsible to set the cage on fire. You are banished.

TOWN MEMBER

(wailing, walks off screen)

Act 2 B

LISA

Run away, creature! Fly away.

OWL

(coos)

TOWN MEMBER

Nooooo! It’s getting away! What if it returns???

TOWN LEADER

YOU DID THIS, LISA. FIX IT.

LISA

No!

LISA

I won’t help you kill this poor animal!

TOWN LEADER

Then I’ll exile you!

TOWN LEADER

I won’t have my people disgracing me like this!

LISA

Fine! You can exile me, but that won’t fix it.

TOWN LEADER

Maybe not, but it’ll make a point!

LISA

I guess I’ll go now. Have fun without me.

TOWN LEADER & TOWN MEMBER

WE WILL!

(LISA exits and scene changes to forest with OWL)

LISA

I don’t know how to survive in the forest…

OWL

(drops down a cooked fish, clearly stolen from the village)

LISA

You must have stolen this from the village! Thank you for risking your life for me, OWL!

OWL

(caws and flies off)

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/108703941/

My self

by: jbernabe

Two things I want to change about my self are getting good grades and change he way I react to statuions . For example if i'm mad at a person I take my anger on everybody.For example I want to stop coming to school late and I want to stop cutting class.
I want to change the way I am because I get mad fast and if i'm mad at a person i take my anger out on everybody.
Something that is difficult for me is trying not to cut class and being in the hallway.I don't really like to be in class,every time I see my friends in the hallway I don't want to be in class, I want to go to the hallway.Something I'm proud of is that I haven't cut class in a while and I haven't tried not to.I am in my class doing my work. Every time my friends come to my class room I don't go to the hallway
The steps i'm taking to not cut class are every time I see my friend Im not going to get out of my class.When class is over I'll go straights to my other class and not talk to nobody.Also do my work in class and not pay mind to nobody.

Is Political Correctness Correct?

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil image.

What’s With Kids These Days?
I have grown up in an environment that is surrounded by growing adolescents,as any person does, but I have been blessed with the opportunity to observe people grow because my mother is a First Grade teacher. I often visit her class and other children at the schools’ Daycare, and have noticed an increasing trend: we are in a ‘New Age,’ and this ‘New Age’ is affecting our society’s government, political system, and -most of all- our children. This is the age of Political Correctness.
Ever since the start of the presidential race of 2016, candidates have been debating about the best ways to stop ISIS from entering the United States and threatening our country's livelihood. To be able to be effective in stopping or even controlling ISIS in some small way, we must understand them, and know what they have done. “Let’s be clear about ISIL.” States President Barack Obama in an interview with ABC News. “They have rampaged across cities and villages, killing innocent, unarmed civilians in cowardly acts of violence.” He then ended with, “...No just God would stand for what they did yesterday and what they do every single day.” Although, we as a nation now have more knowledge about ISIS, our political leaders -and present candidates in particular- are too afraid to see them as they are: a religiously motivated group of predominantly radicalized muslims.
Political Correctness, which is the avoidance of discriminating against certain disadvantaged minorities or groups of people, causes people to be much more cautious of what comes out of their mouths. Of course, in the most obvious sense political correctness is a wonderful idea that causes all people to be seen as equals, but during this fragile time in the government we just need to speak plainly about what measures must be taken to detain ISIS. When a terrorist group that is based in one certain religion, as ISIS is, is harming a nation’s welfare and security then political correctness has no place, and will most likely delay necessary action. No world class government can function when all of its political leaders and officials are constantly walking on eggshells to not offend anyone.
The debate on the need for political correctness continues in a newly published article in The Economist, which states:
“Some people believe the possibility of giving offense, causing embarrassment, lowering self-esteem, reinforcing stereotypes, perpetuating prejudice, victimising, marginalising or discriminating to be more important than stating the truth, never mind the chance of doing so with any verve or panache. They are wrong. Do not bowdlerise your own prose. You may be neither Galileo nor Salman Rushdie, but you too may sometimes be right to cause offence. Your first duty is to the truth.”
The truth most definitely hurts, but it must be said, and in desperate times like these people are bound to get hurt. Political correctness is hitting the present child demographic hard, because parents no longer want to be ‘the bad guy’ and take control of their kids. They see politicians tip toe around different subjects and topics and believe that is the best way for them to parent, and it is not. Correctness is a wonderful thing to have, but it is best used in moderation and only in certain aspects of our daily lives, and most definitely lightly in the upbringing of our children.
Annotate the ISIS Trail of Terror with me using Hypothes.is

Flaws in our educational system (Research Prospectus)

research

Education is a highly valued resource in today’s modern society. It is considered necessary for success in the majority of careers. In order to ensure all students an equal shot at success and meeting high standards in their professional careers, our education system should receive top notch funding and be efficiently designed. Our public schools are not designed to fit needs of a variety of different students. Many different personality traits require different classroom classroom layouts, schedule designs and levels of instruction. There are many kids who have a disability that requires them to learn in a certain way. How can we create an educational system that can accommodate all different learning needs and styles? What are some ways that teachers and scientists can make intention learning environments to suite different needs and disabilities?
I once saw a political comic strip that depicted an elephant, a monkey, a bird, and a giraffe along with a man who represented our educational system. The man was giving the animals a test and instructed them all to climb a tree that was nearby; whoever got to the top would be the winner. This goes to show how unfair and unrealistic our educational system can be. All of these animals have a different strength or talent so it would not make since to perform such a narrow test.

Connecting around topics on Youth Voices

There are many topics that YV students across the country are researching and writing about, and we want to have more ways to connect about these.

Below is a document where students can add their names to topics they are exploring and and then connect with others doing the same.

Another great way to connect is through tags. Make sure your students are tagging, and then they can use this tag cloud to see others' posts. (Also see the bottom of this post for a list of tagging suggestions.)

Tagging suggestions

* Include as many tags as you can think of. More tags is better.
* Put a comma between each tag (e.g. race, racism, black lives matter, police, police brutality)
* Don't include the #.
* Multi-word tags are fine; just include the spaces (e.g. black lives matter, police brutality).

little schooler

practicing in the bus with your team getting nervous to teach the kids and you don't know what to do with your turn to present your students and your team to while standing getting worried and nervous and you stirred while saying your subject and what to do in it and what to do in the class work and your team helping the student and you getting ask what we do in the work and you get scared out now where while they ask the question and you have to calm your students and at the end of the day you just feel happy teaching your student and taking picture of them they get sad then you get sad and they started crying then ask why you crying they don't want us to leave so we cheered them up so they can be happy so they won't be sad and we dress nice for the kids and when we in side of the school they were quiet they were nervous when we went inside of their school and in their classroom and some of them are loud try to cool them down and stay quiet.

little schooler

little schooler

little schooler

little schooler