10 things

Jul 12, 2015

External video: 

See video

I love the 10 Self/10 World questions as a tool for generating inquiry topics and honing in on our passions.

On TTT the other night, we were talking about other kinds of "10 things" lists that might get students going on this.

Here are a few (thank you, Valerie Burton!) -- please feel free to edit this and add to the list.

Ideas for “10 things” lists to help learners find their passions:

* 10 questions about the world
* 10 questions about self
* 10 things you love to do and learn
* 10 things you are good at
* 10 things you wonder about
* 10 things you'd like to be good at
* 10 things you'd like to change (about the world, about yourself)
*
*

And here are a few snippets from our chat about this:

karen (@kfasimpaur): How do we make students see that their voice matters?
18:42 Peggy George: we can do a lot to amplify their voices
18:42 Valerie Burton @MsBisOnline: I spent weeks telling them to pick something that they were passionate about
18:43 karen (@kfasimpaur): Can they immediately identify what their passions are? I think that can be challenging.
18:43 Peggy George: I was thinking the same thing Karen.
18:43 Valerie Burton @MsBisOnline: many of them chose superficial topics just cuz and then when week 5 rolled around and we were coferencng it was obvious who was passionate ans who was not
18:43 Valerie Burton @MsBisOnline: I showed them my phone and twitter feed
18:43 karen (@kfasimpaur): On YV, we've used the 10 questions strategy to help w/that
18:44 karen (@kfasimpaur): That's interesting, Valerie
18:44 Valerie Burton @MsBisOnline: I asked them what I was passionate about and they all said tech integration
18:44 Peggy George: and it's such a rare experience for them to have a teacher tell them they can follow their passion! They have trouble believing it.
18:44 karen (@kfasimpaur): Modeling, showing them what passion looks like
18:44 Valerie Burton @MsBisOnline: I asked how they knew and we talked about how they could tell because of what I read on my phone and what I tweeted about
18:45 Valerie Burton @MsBisOnline: I asked them if they thought I could talk about this topic ... cold.. with no props
18:45 karen (@kfasimpaur): And passion is what helps the "ection" part they're talking about now
18:45 Valerie Burton @MsBisOnline: they all realized that I could because I spent time learning and sharing about it
18:45 Peggy George: I think you can actually be passionate about something you know very little about :-)
18:45 Valerie Burton @MsBisOnline: That too
18:46 Valerie Burton @MsBisOnline: This sort of coversation happened with us after several weeks of what should have been spent with them researching and learning
18:46 Valerie Burton @MsBisOnline: It was easy to see that they were not REALLY researching and learning
18:46 Peggy George: great points Val!
18:46 karen (@kfasimpaur): yes
18:46 Valerie Burton @MsBisOnline: They were wasting the time and playing around with the idea of researching
18:47 Peggy George: reluctantly giving you what they thought you wanted :-)
18:47 karen (@kfasimpaur): learning is messy and iterative, even for those of us who "know how"
18:47 Valerie Burton @MsBisOnline: Definitely
18:47 Valerie Burton @MsBisOnline: One girl stop researching nursing and started looking at ways to grow out natural hair
18:48 karen (@kfasimpaur): :)
18:48 Peggy George: love it!
18:48 Valerie Burton @MsBisOnline: Week later I had to tell her to stop talking during a conference and I laughed at here and asked if she could now realize the difference
18:48 karen (@kfasimpaur): lovely
18:50 Peggy George: spaces where their own curiosity is validated
18:51 Peggy George: I would say the same thing about some of my university students--don't know how to make choices and often prefer just to be told what's required...
18:51 karen (@kfasimpaur): the result of our consumer focused (vs production centered) world perhaps
18:52 Peggy George: yes and grading...
18:52 Valerie Burton @MsBisOnline: a. 10 things you love to do and learn b. 10 things you are good at c, 10 things you wonder about
...
19:00 Peggy George: does 10 encourage more brainstorming and reflecting?
19:02 karen (@kfasimpaur): 10 seems like a nice medium between manageable but still stretching
19:02 Peggy George: love the idea Karen :-)
19:03 karen (@kfasimpaur): Of course, you can always say 10, and then people cn do whatever they come up with
19:03 Peggy George: that makes sense about stretching yourself
19:03 karen (@kfasimpaur): 10 seems hard-ish but not impossible
19:03 karen (@kfasimpaur): Also out of 10 a couple good ones fall out
19:04 Valerie Burton @MsBisOnline: agree
19:04 Valerie Burton @MsBisOnline: I chose all of that so that they could begin to think about what is important enough to spend almost 9 weeks working on
19:05 karen (@kfasimpaur): A "10 things" doc we can all add to: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aaUiYP0NuPQ_VjHW1wJJe9n-dwkKGhSdAPXD...
19:05 Peggy George: I wonder if the quality of the choices diminish as they keep stretching themselves? Would the first few be the most important?
19:06 Valerie Burton @MsBisOnline: Peggy, that could definitely be the case
19:07 karen (@kfasimpaur): Peggy, probably diff for every1. For me, I don't get to the "good" ones until I push myself to do a big list
19:07 Valerie Burton @MsBisOnline: For most of mine, they changed focus to other items of the lsit and then wound up doing something entrely different