2010 Haiti Earthquake

That’s a horrible way to start the new year. The earthquake magnitude is 7.0 with about fourteen aftershocks between the magnitudes of 5.0 & 5.9. An astonishing 100,000s people where found dead and even more counting. If you didn’t know Haiti is a very poor country and it’s economy is going down in the dumps everyday, we as a country should help them to at least build more schools and hospitals.

I just read a Wikipedia article, "2010 Haiti Earthquake," Wikipedia : The Free Encyclopedia. 17:34, 14 January 2010, http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=2010_Haiti_earthquake&oldid=33....

I'm tired of writing about Haiti, i wrote about it for a week already. i wonder when another earthquake is going to hit Haiti again. Haiti is a very poor country and many people cant afford to leave and fix their homes.

One sentance from this article that stands out for me is : " Haiti is the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere,[13] and is ranked 149th of 182 countries on the Human Development Index." I think this is devestating because the people of Haiti aren't having the right education to go out and learn how to work and make more that .67cents and hour. I also think that the teenagers in Haiti wouldn't be able to go to college or a university because of such "high" income. Haiti should provide more free schools in every village because most Haisians still believe in witch craft.

I'm pretty sure this is accurate, because it is one of the poorest countries in the world. If Hait was poor then not alot of people and countries would donate such an amount of money to support Haiti. Also in 1947 Haiti paid France billions of dollars, that cause their det. This also verifies my point "... the country is considered 'economically vulnerable'" this was taken out of Wikipedia itself proving that Haiti is a very poor country and can't afford to keep their country safe and give it the benefits a strong country like the US can.

Another sentance that I shocked me was " The United States Geological Survey recorded a series of at least 33 aftershocks, 14 of which were between magnitudes 5.0 and 5.9." This stood out to me because another aftershock hit Haiti again today around 6:30am with a magnitude of about 6.1. How much more damage can one country take? I wonder how many aftershocks is it going to take before Haiti is in crumbles?

I double-checked this fact on New York Times,  http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/01/20/world/AP-CB-Haiti-Earthquake.... and it states that "A powerful aftershock sent Haitians screaming into the streets on Wednesday, collapsing buildings, cracking roads and adding to the trauma of a nation stunned by an apocalyptic quake eight days ago. The magnitude-5.9 jolt matched the strongest of the aftershocks that have followed the huge quake of Jan. 12 that devastated Haiti's capital." As, you can see if any more earthquakes hit Hatit there is a possible chance that the people of Haiti are slowely going to die, agriculture, arcitexture, schools, homes, hospitals, farms, and churches will be in crumbs and nothing will bring the country back to their feet. They're going to spend trillions or more trying to bring their population back to "normal".

There's nothing inaccurate in this article because it is being updated everyday (hopefully). I also think if you want better and accurate answers you should visit, www.nytimes.com keyword 2010 Haiti earthquake.

What I learned from this article is to never take things for granted and always help and support other poor countries just like Hiati, and I will look to see how this article changes in the future because there might be another afterschock or earthquake that might hit Haiti again. We also need to be aware of events that are accuring out side the United States. I would also want to see how President Obama is going to handle or support Haiti in future events.

Author,

Anthoulla Themistokleous