2014: Year of the Ice Bucket

ALS, or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, is a degenerative disease which kills its victims by destroying their bodies. When someone is diagnosed with ALS, they are not given long to live. It is truly a terrible fate. One of the main problems with ALS is that we know so little about it. There are many people that are trying to study the disease, but progress is slow and most people are unaware of what this disease even is. In 2014, though, a viral internet campaign came about to raise money for ALS research and to raise awareness of the condition. This challenge was known as the Ice Bucket challenge because participants were to dump a bucket of ice water on their heads. The participants then donated money to ALS research and challenged three other people to take the challenge as well. The challenge raised millions of dollars and taught many people about ALS who would have otherwise not known about it.
A neighbor of mine recently died after a year long struggle against ALS. She was an incredible woman, and I was very sad to see her go. Our neighborhood gathered around her husband to support him. After seeing the effects of the disease firsthand, I was more than happy to take part in the challenge. The water was cold, but the ability to spread awareness of ALS and to help raise money for studies of the condition made it completely worth it. Hopefully we can find a cure for ALS very soon, as the suffering brought from it is too much for anyone to bear.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/13/tech/ice-bucket-challenge/