6 word memoir

Jul 7, 2014
by: hsulayman

I'm a student at New Visions Charter High School for the Humanities II in the Bronx, NY, and I'm a participant in the 2014 Youth Voices Summer Program.My name is Halimat Sulayman. I am 15 years old. My favorite color is red. I am an upcoming junior in NVCHS. I am very competitive and hope to be the valedictorian of my school. I am a muslim and i hope to go to a really good college like Yale to study business as my major and political science as my minor. I want to be a human rights activist and an actress. i lived in Nigeria and currently live in the Bronx. I have been in situations that have helped me realize that you don’t need to please everyone.

In school, i like to be a leader and be the best i can be in most of my classes. I have been in a lot of after school programs like softball, volleyball, helping hands, school newspaper etc. I like to write poems and act in front of my peers. I got an award for writing my monologue and performing it, i also got an award in english and was on the principal honor roll. My friends inspire me to push further because i like to outcompete them and get higher grades.

My school takes up pretty much my whole time but outside of school, i like to watch television and play games. I like to watch wrestlemania and a big fangirl of John Cena and Randy Orton. I pray and mostly read the Qur’an. I love fashion and sleeping. That's mostly what people need to know about me.

Hi Halimat! I am so happy to

jmasarof's picture
Submitted by jmasarof on Wed, 2014-07-09 10:42.

Hi Halimat!

I am so happy to meet you and read your bio! You seem like such a mature young woman. You also seem like a great student and I love your goals and how seriously you take school. Your motivation is inspiring and it will benefit you tremendously in your life. I hope that all your dreams come true.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is "I have been in situations that have helped me realize that you don’t need to please everyone." I think this is an important thing to realize and you have realized it at a young age. I'm wondering what happened to make you understand the idea that you don't need to and can't please everyone. I think teenagers get caught up in trying to fit in and who they are gets lost in the process. It seems like you have a strong sense of who you are and what you want.

Another sentence that impressed me was when you said "I pray and mostly read the Qur’an." I admire your religious observance. I am Jewish and I pray and study my religion too and I think that it is an important of life and something that probably helps you to stay focused on being a good student and striving for your goals. Is your whole family religious? It seems like you must be a good role model for other students in your school and in this program.

Your interest in performing reminds me of my own passion for performing. When I was in school I also loved to write creatively and perform. Does you school have any plays? When I was in college I volunteered to go up in front of an audience and perform a comedy routine with a group that was visiting my school. I loved participating in that because it gave me a chance to make people laugh and pretend to be someone else. What do you like about performing?

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you are unique in your interests. What you have to say as a muslim young woman is so important and I love how confident you are. I hope that you always speak your mind and strive to be the best version of yourself. You are inspiring.

six words

cceballos's picture
Submitted by cceballos on Mon, 2014-11-03 20:11.

Dear :Halimat Sulayman

I am amazed by your post, "6 word memoir" because you are talking about what you do outside of school and how you been in many programs also how you got awards for something

One part of your post that I liked.That stands out for me is where you say “In school, i like to be a leader and be the best i can be in most of my classes.”I think this is great because you are saying that you don't like to follow the kids that do bad thing in school.

Another part that I liked is where you say “My school takes up pretty much my whole time but outside of school, i like to watch television and play games.” This stood out for me because you are talking about what you do outside of school.

Your post reminds me of something that I made once. One time that I had to write six words that describe me and it took me time to figure those six word out.
Thanks for your art. I look forward to seeing what you make next, because I liked what you wrote this time and I hope to see what you write next.

six words

cceballos's picture

Dear :Halimat Sulayman

six words

cceballos's picture

Dear :Halimat Sulayman