6 Word Memoir

Jul 8, 2014
by: groberts

My name is Glencora, but only a select few bother with the first syllable. For the last three years I have been a teacher in the Bronx. I was born in New York City, but no one ever believes that, for reasons that have yet to be made clear to me. When I started college, I moved to Portland, Oregon, and I lived there for six years. This was a turning point for me because I learned that I can live independently and apart from my family-- and also that I prefer not to. I moved to back to NYC in 2010.

I always enjoyed being a student. When I was a high schooler, I would sign up for extra art and English classes whenever I got the chance. I felt like I was good at these things, and they made me happy. Not surprisingly, I eventually became an English teacher, though it took me a couple of twists and turns to get there, and a fair amount of perseverance. I teach at International Community High School. One of my favorite things about teaching is that I still get to learn new things every day.

Outside of school, I like to cook, read, go to the movies, listen to music and see my family and friends. I also love to travel, but I can be a timid traveler-- I’ve never gone too far on my own. This is one of the many reasons why I want to learn Spanish: so I can feel more self-sufficient in the countries I want to travel to, and also find new ways to communicate with people and express myself. I like how the same idea feels new when said in a different language, or to a new person.

Dear Glencora writer of 6

kthomas's picture
Submitted by kthomas on Wed, 2014-07-09 11:06.

Dear Glencora writer of 6 word memoir,
I am more than happy to get the chance to read your biography about yourself, and your interests in life. Reading your biography really interest me, because I love how you're willing to learn new things, and do things that would lead up to your goal. I admire that you're not afraid of any new challenges or to knock down any barriers that's in your way.

One sentence you wrote that stands out to me is " When I was a high schooler, I would sign up for extra art and English classes whenever I got the chance." This stood out for me because, I remember one of my biggest dreams at a young age was to become an english teacher, and I would join a lot of clubs, and ask my cousins to play teacher with them, so that I can have an idea of how it feels like. I really enjoyed the feeling, but when I moved to New York, I saw how disrespectful students are in this generation, so my new dream is now to just focus on being a writer, and dancer.

Another sentence that I past was"I also love to travel, but I can be a timid traveler." This stood out to me, because I agree with you. I really want to travel around the world. One of my dreams is to be able to go to Paris, but I want to make sure I know more about France, and their language before I actually go to Paris. I hope we both are able to travel in the future.

One time when I first moved to New york, about a year later I started writing poems, and novels of my own. A few years later, I started to get more serious about writing, so I continued writing poems, songs, and short stories. My dad used to call me Hannah Montana, because I used to make my own songs, but I didn't want anyone to know that. Thanks for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I really like the way you write, it's very professional.

I really enjoyed reading your biography, because it was very inspiring to me, and it reminded me of a younger portrait of myself. I advice you to keep up the good work, because for an English teacher you're a very talented writer. you should have become a famous author, but I'm glad you're an English teacher, because you're good at directing people, and talking as well.