The Acceptance Process of America

by: travisb

The Acceptance Process of America

For those who haven’t heard any details on the havoc taking place in Syria for nearly five years now, here’s a very brief summary. Several wars set between the Syrian government, rebel forces, and other groups all aiming to take control have been responsible for the devastation of the nation and creation of the world’s largest source of refugees in history.                                                                                                                         With more than half the pre-war population of 23 million people now in need of humanitarian aid and 4 million registered as refugees, it shouldn’t be a surprise that refugees are seeking asylum in the United States. But our country’s refugee acceptance is very extensive, and quite inefficient when allowing in Syrian refugees, most of all, to enter and receive the benefits available.

So then the process begins with a refugee first applying for refugee status through the United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR), the department of the United Nations that is responsible for the assistance and protection of refugees.                                                                                                                                                 From there the UNHCR decides who qualifies using the outlines set that declare a refugee is someone who is in fear of persecution if they return to their country of nationality for reasons like their race, religion, or nationality. During this step in the process, the UNHCR performs a screening of the individual, collecting biodata, which includes information like names, addresses, and birthdays. The UNHCR then collect biometrics, this involves fingerprinting and iris scanning, all before conducting interviews and finally granting official refugee status to the applicant.

Moving forward, those considered strong candidates are referred by the UNHCR for resettlement in the United States. These applicants are filed by a federally funded Resettle Support Center after receiving their identifying documents produced by the United Nations’ first screening.                                                                The Resettlement Support Center then begins with its own security check, this includes a thorough screening done by several of the United States’ security agencies. The agencies involved in this consist of the FBI, the State Department, the Department of Homeland Security, and the National Counterterrorism Center/Intelligence Community. All examining carefully for any sign that the individual poses already or may pose a risk on security, is or was connected to people who are guilty of crime, especially terrorism, or that they possess warrants/immigration or criminal violations.  

In some cases, particularly for Syrian refugees, the Department of Homeland Security takes the extra step of running a longer review, directing them to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services for fraud detection. Any of these steps are very open for repetition, if any new information is found, very basic details like a past phone number or address that wasn’t mentioned before.

Continuing on further, more interviews are conducted by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (by officers trained specifically for interviews), before the refugee’s fingerprints are taken again and submitted for verification. If any questions are raised by the information produced in the interviews, then like before, the interviews might be retaken.                                                                                                             Fingerprints are taken once more, but this time for the biometric databases of the agencies mentioned before. But with this step, the security screenings are officially complete and the applicant moves onto a necessary medical check for signs of communicable diseases. After a few more things are settled concerning the best location and conditions for settlement of the applicant, they can then travel to the United States.

Many Americans find this process to be ideal, with recent events it seems completely justified, but there are men, women, and children who are in a constant state of fear of being hurt or even killed due to the conditions surrounding them. With a more efficient process, the number of innocents involved in conflicts outside our country would change for the better.                                                                    

I really liked your article.

Submitted by TMGanell on Fri, 2016-01-29 17:40.

I really liked your article. I think you had some excellent information. I really never considered the admission process into the united states in detail before. Very good details and nice organization.

My only comment for improvement would be a slightly longer and more informative introduction and conclusion. Really give your reader a step by step outline of where you are going with the piece so we don't get lost. Good job!

Amazing Article

Submitted by yayussuf on Sun, 2016-01-31 14:29.

I liked how you gave a step by step process of what happens to an immigrant coming to the US. I thought it was well detailed and had very interesting facts. The only thing I would add is maybe and interview from a homeland agent or and immigrants. It brings more emotion and credibility to your article. I really like, nice job!

Well done overall!

lovebugleen's picture
Submitted by lovebugleen on Mon, 2016-02-01 23:38.

I admire how objective you were in conveying the information on Syrian Refugee Crisis, however what I would add is in-text citations to establish credibility between writer and audience. Nonetheless, it was well put together and nicely written overall!