The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

by: Sami2016

In my American Literature class we are reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and writing dialectic journals as we read; this is one of my entries:
“I was all over welts.” (22)
Huckleberry Finn lives a difficult life; one that lacks guidance. Here, Huck talks about how his father beats him— which may be a result of his father’s drinking problem. Huck’s father must be angry for some reason. Maybe it’s because of it’s horrible financial situation, his low social stature compared to black people or maybe he knows he has a drinking problem and it upsets him. He has not yet unveiled his reasoning. But Huck’s father continues to use his son as a physical outlet by beating him. This explains the relationship between Huck and his father accurately— which is sad to say the least. There relationship has proven to be a vital part of the book.

Simple yet powerful quote

Submitted by Baraa2016 on Wed, 2015-04-29 19:45.

It is very sad, isn't it? While this quote is short, I see a lot of meaning behind it, so I think this is a great choice. If I were to guess, it would be that Huck's father beats him because of his drinking problem, because it seems more logical than financial trouble or social stature since he has nothing to do with it. It's true though, we don't know for sure. But we do know for sure he indeed does live a difficult life. Good work.