Advocating and Supporting PTSD

They need support, and we have the power to help

PTSD is the war disorder that goes far beyond the battlefield. PTSD, or Post-traumatic Stress Disorder, is a psychiatric disorder that can occur following the experience or witnessing of a life-threatening events such as military combat, natural disasters, terrorist incidents, etc. Most survivors of these kinds of trauma return to normal given a little time. However, some people will have stress reactions that do not go away on their own, or may even get worse over time. These individuals may develop PTSD. We need to advocate and bring more awareness to people with this disorder to create a better future for everyone.

One reason that we should support and advocate these people who have suffered traumatic experiences is because there are too many people suffering this fate. The US Department of Veteran Affairs states that ‘About eight million adults have PTSD during a given year’ and that ‘This is only a small portion of those who have gone through a trauma.’ This makes me feel disappointed in our society. We as a community should prevent that from happening to anyone, and instead, so many people are are suffering traumatic experiences, and eight million is only a part of that. Eight million that have gone through so much that they can’t forget it to the point that they cannot live their normal lives ever again.

People who suffer from PTSD often relive the experience through nightmares and flashbacks, have difficulty sleeping, and feel detached or estranged, and these symptoms can be severe enough and last long enough to significantly impair the person’s daily life. These are major statistics that can ultimately impact and condemn our society into the deep, dark, abyss that will all be caused by us.

So far, I couldn’t find anyone who wanted to protest against supporting people with PTSD, but I also couldn’t anyone who supported them as a whole, other than tips to help a family member, or seeking a psychiatrist. It’s good that we aren’t opposing the fact that we should advocate these people who have suffered so much that they don’t deserve, but the fact that we aren’t doing anything to show it isn’t enough.

We as a community should make a change, whether it be by creating a facility for those who have suffered PTSD, talking to them and listening to their problems, or just even bringing awareness. It may not matter to you, but it could change someone’s life. We are able to make this change, so why not start now?