Aesop's Fables: The Lion and the Mouse

by: 18onodaa

In technology class, each of us were assigned a ethical story project, and I did mine on one of Aesop's Fables, The Lion and the Mouse. A mouse was running around Brock, the lion, who was sleeping and got woken up by the mouse. Brock, of course was furious, and wondered whether or not he should eat the mouse or let him go. He asked the viewer to make the choice. If you were watching, would you let the mouse go, or let the lion eat him? Each choice gives a different ending, with good or bad consequences, so be careful!

To create my animation, I used a program called Scratch, where you use scripts, which are like direction blocks. I drew my sprites (the characters), and they each needed their own scripts to play their part correctly in the animation. It took some time drawing it and I only got to start the scripts for my mouse sprite. I used the switch costume blocks, the glide blocks and the repeat block. It helped making the mouse look like he was running. For the first scene, I downloaded the CC image of a cave, the lion's home and saved it so I could import it to Scratch. When I was up to the part where the lion asks the viewer the question, the animation didn't continue when I pressed a key to choose a decision. It stopped completely. It turned out that I needed to use a specific block, the answer block and use an operator so its: answer=... I then made the ending for the selfish choice, and then the ending for the good choice. I also needed two more sprites, a net and a group of hunters.

During the process of my project, I learned how much timing was important. There were many times where a character needed to leave, or when a character needed to show up. Also, since there was dialogue, like one character needed to wait for the other character to finish talking, the seconds for waiting needed to be accurate; not too slow and not too fast.

http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/3274893/

Good Job!

18KhanC's picture
Submitted by 18KhanC on Mon, 2013-04-29 19:00.

I really liked your animation. I liked how you took the time to draw your sprites and make the animation look very professional.

I liked your ethical choice because it showed how you should always be nice to people because you don't know when you will need their help.

You sprites and backgrounds all came in at the proper times. Everything made sense and the dialogue was written nicely. Most of the timing was done well. The only issue was that once or twice the dialogue bubbles overlapped.

I recommend this animation to people of any age. Any one can learn a valuable lesson from watching your animation.