Affirmative Action, Positive and Negative?

by: cropner

Two words have flittered through American politics since 1961, when an Executive order by John F. Kennedy brought about the term "Affirmative Action." Originally meant to aid minorities and American women in social systems and workplaces, the notion of Affirmative Action has been under much controversy. 

One of the original goals of affirmative action programs was to integrate schools and workplaces so that they would be truly representative of America’s diverse population. You Decide

Positive and Negative aspects of this "Affirmative Action" policy have become apparent. Many in favor of the programs presented argue that Affirmative Action will still need to be present even as the population grows more and more tolerant. Although statistics show that Latino and Black children are more likely to live in poor neighborhoods and end up in prisons. Affirmative Action, many argue, is still as great of a need in society as it was over 50 years ago. 

Antidiscrimination laws still need a little help from preferences that assure that workplaces hire and schools educate more women and people of color, they say, and affirmative action programs actually make organizations and institutions stronger and better, not weaker. Just because we’ve reached the point at which minorities and women are national leaders doesn’t mean affirmative action’s time is up.You Decide

Affirmative Action is not meant to help blacks because of the color of their skin, but because they deserve compensation for past and continuing injustices. Opponents may criticize the wisdom of how this compensation is meted out, but they cannot question the principle of compensatory damages, which enjoys a long tradition in our society. Affirmative Action Essay

Mass numbers of the American population also argue against Affirmative Action, claiming it has unforeseen negative consequences. Often times the people benefitted from its policies are thrust into situations they are not prepared for and many other scenarios. 

For years, experts have suggested that the focus on race is a distraction from the real issue: class and social inequity... It’s the poor — whether they are rural or urban, whether they are black, Latino or white — who suffer the most from bad schools, bad nutrition and health care, and limited opportunities in this world. Affirmative action, they say, is effectively a middle-class policy: It does little to help the poor. You Decide

Affirmative action can also makes racial minorities feel like a minority. They feel like they have that separated identity. It can create negative feelings toward them in jobs and campuses if they are in small numbers. KerenArticle

Both sides of this issue have logical answers and perspectives, so what side do you chose?

I was able to find most of my information off the YouDecide website, mainly because of the two opposing viewpoints. Just by searching on google however, and viewing previous searches helped me to sift through information and finally find the most desirable content. 

Dear Chloe, There were a few

Submitted by tylerp on Sun, 2010-10-10 21:17.

Dear Chloe,

There were a few things that i liked in your post. First is how you stayed neutral. That is not always easy. Everyone has some opinion on pretty much and contreversy, so staying neutral isn't easy. Second is how you presente both sides very evenly, one qoute from YouDecide and one qoute from somewhere else.

I think more on the side that the poor should be helped whether they are black, mexican, white or any other race. If someone needs help they should get help. I hope to see how you feel about this or other topics.

Thanks for presenting both of the arguments and I look forward to seeing more of your posts. You present both sides of an argument very well and I look forward to reading more of your posts and hopefully hearing how you feel about the contreversy.

Chloe, You chose an

Submitted by Davis K on Sun, 2010-10-10 22:40.

Chloe,

You chose an interesting subject that is at the forefront of American society today. The key question people need to ponder is if affirmative action is truly neccessary for minority's or is it a statement of guilt of the past by the majority. I did a public forum debate on this topic, so I am very interested in the subject. A quote that I liked from the post came from you decide. "Antidiscrimination laws still need a little help from preferences that assure that workplaces hire and schools educate more women and people of color, they say, and affirmative action programs actually make organizations and institutions stronger and better, not weaker." It shows that if Affirmative Action be more integrated into our society, we need the majority of the public on board for the concept to succeed. In the past, I've known many people that have been in competition for jobs and college acceptance against minorities, so the topic can affect each and every American. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because this will be an issue for us very soon in our lives. Btw, great job at state tennis :) 

Thanks Again,

Davis K