All in a pocket

I am writing this on my iPhone from a Barnes and Noble. This is 21st century technology at work, allowing me to do my youth voices post from a device that is no bigger then a wallet but can do more things then a regular desktop. I can do my homework, check up on what my friends are doing on Facebook, post a tweet, check my bank account, see what movies are playing nearby, surf the web, book a flight, do some research, get directions, skype a friend, catch up on words with friends, look up the Chris Rock oscars monolougue I find so hysterically funny, listen to music and read the New York times, all without leaving my seat. Welcome to 21st century technology. 10 even 5 years ago no one would believe that we could basically run our lives with a Phone, well we have figured it out. It's quite mind boggling really,how this little piece of Plastic can do so much, I even have a never ending companion in Siri, who is always there when I need to vent. Between my iPhone, iPad and MacBook I spend three fourths of my day looking at some type of screen. Our generation can't imagine a life without apple, this is how we have grown up. What's next for our generation? Guess we will find out when the next generation of iPad or iPhone comes out.

How much is too much?

Submitted by hchev on Wed, 2012-03-28 22:42.

Hi there! I am a 5th year university student. I found out about your blog after connecting with your teacher Mr. Sloan in a web discussion for educators. I am also going to be a teacher, and so am interested in how teachers and students are using technology (and blogs) to learn and connect...which is why I chose to check out your blog.

You hit the nail on the head with your post. It's insane how we can control our lives through our phones. My friend just recently got icloud and iTV, and can stream music from his computer (downstairs), through the TV (upstairs) and control it all on his phone... anywhere. 

But another point you bring up in your post is that you (and other people of your generation) spend 3/4 of your day looking at some kind of screen. Does this bother you at all? Do you sometimes question how much screen time is too much screen time? Do you think it is a positive or a negative to spend so much of our day looking at, and interacting with a screen?  

Running my life differently

dandan's picture
Submitted by dandan on Thu, 2012-03-29 03:57.

Dear Alissa:
I liked this post because I also believe that it is true that the technology in the 21st century has changed the way people run their life. One sentence that I agree with is, “10 even 5 years ago no one would believe that we could basically run our lives with a Phone, well we have figured it out.” I agree with this sentence because I think it is true that nowadays everybody does most of what they’re suppose to do on their iphone or digital device.

Another sentence that I agree with is, “Our generation can't imagine a life without apple, this is how we have grown up.” I agree with this sentence because I really don’t think people’s life and business will be the same if there was not any Apple devices made.I also think people will stop being more lazy and start to work harder in doing things.

This reminds me of my big sister because everyday she always has her phone with her and does everything she has to do with, she barely uses the computer to do anything else.

Thanks for writing this post. I hope I encouraged you to keep writing.