All Solutions Stem from Cells

A stem cell

Stem cells can be used in a plethora of medical practices to help prevent and treat diseases and illnesses. Stem cells are blank cells that can be practically turned into any other type of cell. Scientists and doctors have been able to grow human kidneys, livers, and pancreases using a pig's organ as the base, and then shifting towards the human characteristics using stem cells.

Stem cells are controversial because people believe that doing this is "playing God" and that cloning is immoral. According to Raymond Devettere and his book Practical Decision Making In Health Care Ethics, another reason it's controversial is because stem cells are found in embryos and this relates back to the debate on life at conception. Because of this, stem cell research sometimes requires an abortion of zygote or fetus, which is a huge topic by itself.

Devettere, Raymond J. Practical Decision Making in Health Care Ethics: Cases and Concepts. Washington, D.C.: Georgetown UP, 1995. Print. Google Books

Hi Michael, I think stem cell

Submitted by delaneyjbarnett on Sun, 2015-03-22 17:34.

Hi Michael,
I think stem cell research is very interesting! Although this research has the potential to save lives, it's an issue of morality for some. It seems like science and religion are constantly bumping heads! I was wondering how and when they discovered this practice?

The idea that scientists now

Submitted by mravarino on Sun, 2015-03-22 22:30.

The idea that scientists now have the technology to create human organs is unfathomable! Science has come such a long way, and although I understand that it is controversial, science should be able to go as far as it can to save lives. However, I understand that there is much more than saving lives behind stem cells. Morals are a huge deal in this process. You will learn a lot by researching this topic; I look forward to seeing where you take this!

Micheal, the modern day topic

Submitted by egoldsmith97 on Tue, 2015-03-31 16:32.

Micheal, the modern day topic of stem cell research is both facinating and debatable, but it's important for people to be educated on both views. Stem cells have saved thousands of lives and are utilized every day in the medical world. Another element that you could introduce to the moral conflict of life is: is it moral to let a suffering human die when modern medicine could easily fix the problem with the use of stem cells? Lives of the living are just as valuable as those who are still in the embryonic stage of life. Keep up the good work! I look forward to reading more.

Wow Mike what a choice for a

Submitted by dskirkegaard on Wed, 2015-04-01 15:16.

Wow Mike what a choice for a topic. This is very interesting. The ability to "play God" has been debated fiercely as of late. I would really love to see where your research takes you because I think that you could find lots of scientific as well as moral arguments to support both sides of your research. I would like to know your opinion on the topic though as there is little personal opinion in this post. Overall keep it up Mike you're great. "If you can dream it you can do it" - Jimmy MacElroy.

Hi Michael, I think that this

Submitted by Connormorgan7 on Sat, 2015-04-04 14:54.

Hi Michael,

I think that this is such a good topic because it is so controversial. Based on what I know about the topic, stem cell treatments will likely become standard treatments in the coming decades. The speed of the implementation of these life-saving treatments all depends on how quickly stem cell proponents can convince its critics. First, while stem cells can come from aborted embryos, these embryos aren't the only source. Bone marrow and umbilical cords from newborns are also valid sources of stem cells. The second issue is the "playing God" argument. My view isn't anti-God or anti-religion. While I certainly do think that there are moral limits that humans should absolutely not cross, I find it ironic and hypocritical that some people believe that it is immoral to use our knowledge (which they believe to be God-given) to help people live healthier and longer lives. It seems to me that the chief goal in science is to help people live better lives—this is also the chief goal of religion. If you agree with this, I think it would be an interesting question to discuss in your essay. Great work Michael!

Great Topic

Submitted by NateHigley on Sun, 2015-04-12 22:50.

Stem cell research is a huge controversy, scientists being able to do all these miraculous things i think seems to be hard to believe for a lot of people. Our technology is advancing to fast for some people to comprehend. Many people just believe that stem cells don't actually work so they discredit anything they hear. I'm very interested if operations involving stem cells become common in the future.