How did corn take over America?

I'm learning more about where my food comes from in The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan right now, and in particular, what I'm wondering about is: Why do we use more corn than any other crop? As a matter of fact, it's the most used ingredient in the United States. Just look a the shelves in a supermarket. They are full of corn in disguise! Some of these foods that contain corn are sodas, chips, meats, etc.,

“Go through produce to the back of the supermarket and you’ll find the meats. Where is it? Here's a hint what did the cows and pigs and chickens eat before they became cuts of meat? Mainly corn.” (Chevat and Pollan)

The quote I chose here is basically saying that even meats have corn in them too because the animals that become our meat ate corn. I think this is illuminating because anybody who didn't read this book wouldn't know that. It still makes me wonder how corn became our top ingredient in most of America's foods.

Source

Chevat, Richie and Michael Pollan. Young Readers Edition: The Omnivore's Dilemma. New York: Dial Books, 2009. Preface, 2015. Print.

I agree with you

Submitted by avillanueva on Wed, 2016-06-01 09:29.

Dear Gabriel

I am happy with your post"How Did Corn Take Over America?" because I was wondering how did corn take over America. Also, I was interested in how did corn take over America.

One sentence that you wrote that stands out for me is "what I'm wondering about is: Why do we use more corn than any other crop?" I think this is interesting because why is corn in every type of food?!

Another sentence that you wrote that was interesting was "As a matter of fact, it's the most used ingredient in the United States." This stood out to me because that is surprising that corn is the most used ingredient in America.

I do agree with that because in the book "the omnivore's dilemma" it also said that corn is the most used ingredient in America.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next about corn.