Angels & Demons

by: Luigi
Dan Brown
Book

When I was looking for a book to read, I came across the section where Dan Brown's books were located. I'd heard about The Da Vinci Code, and knew that he was a famous author. I knew The Da Vinci Code was part of a series, so I started to look for the first book in the series, Angels & Demons. I decided to read that one first, and, if I liked it, I was going to continue reading the series. I never regretted that decision.

Dan Brown has an amazing ability to keep the person reading and reading. Sometimes, I even thought I was reading too much at a time! To not spoil the story for you, but to at least give you a summary, CERN, the organization dedicated to investigations related to physics, manages to produce antimatter. The physicist related to the discovery is mysteriously murdered, and the antimatter is stolen. Robert Langdon, a renowned symbologist, partners up with the dead physicist's daughter in order to save Vatican City from the explosion of the antimatter, which has the power similar to a small nuclear bomb. The attack is suspected to be from the Illuminati, a supposedly defunct secret society that, in its time, wanted to finish the political and social power of the Church.

The amazing plot of the story, combined with the excellent description of places and situations, makes Angels & Demons a great book. In order to understand the story better, Brown gives little lessons on history. These little lessons gave me more very interesting information about the Church, Vatican City, Rome, and symbology. Not only that, but the characters are very complete and, at certain points of the plot, complex. Most of the story is full with suspense and the desire to know what will happen next, which is another reason why I really enjoyed this book.

If you're looking for a very, very good book full with suspense, a little history, and adventure, I really recommend Angels & Demons. Another good thing is that there is a movie. Reading the book and later watching the movie can help you picture the characters and the story itself. I recommend this book to those readers looking for something that is fictional, but has many nonfictional elements that support its plot. This book is a bestseller, and it truly deserves that title.

Excellent Post

Submitted by 16biswaso on Thu, 2013-10-24 12:36.

For a while now, I have been looking for a good historical fiction piece to read, just as you had been. I had also heard of The Da Vinci Code, specifically the book in the collection of novels, Inferno. Knowing just a bit about the books plot and its relations to Christianity, I actually never thought that it was a plot-based story. I had always assumed it to be a collection of documentaries. As silly as that sounds, it had been my reason to not read the book; since spending a few hours a day reading non-fiction that would be discussed in humanities classes does not seem appealing. Nonetheless, with my interest in science and my familiarity with CERN’s particle colliders and other particle accelerators, the series seems most interesting to me now.

Furthermore, your praise of Dan Brown’s make it seem more appealing. As I am going to be writing a piece of my own soon, I would love to have a book or two from The Da Vinci Code as a reference. With an action-packed plot and political awareness, I can honestly say that the story sounds great. My only question left now, is which time period is all of this story set in.

In regards to the “lessons” you mention, I am not sure if you are implying that it is an allegorical tale or that there is pure text-book information present at time. Regardless of which one it is, any information about Rome, Vatican City, symbology and the Church would be interesting for me to learn. As mentioned previously, information along with a strong plot will nearly always make for a good historical fiction story. As you praise him and claim that the book is a page turner, I am more inclined to reading Brown’s work now.

Overall, let me thank you for making such a well written and concise post. It seems like an amazing book and I will definitely read it the first chance I get. With the note of the movie, I probably will not like it as much as the book, but it will definitely be worth watching for a point of comparison. In the end, I probably will agree with you completely that the book deserves the title of a best-seller, if not more.

Great Book!

Submitted by SeanListon on Fri, 2013-11-15 14:01.

This is a great book!

I loved reading this book it was very intriguing. You hit it on the head when you said he gives history examples to make it more understandable, I liked that aspect of the book because I was learning history of the church as I read. Thank you for suggesting this book because I really liked it too and its cool other people support it as well. This was a great recount of the book!

Great Book!

This is a great book!