The Animal Side of the Human Persona

by: Kyra M
Animal Love by Abby_B a Youth Voices pool photographer on Flickr.

The other day, my friend turned to me and asked, "If I were an animal, what would I be?" An interesting notion to say the least, but I could not think of anything that would suit her perfectly. After some time and discussion, we settled on a red-tailed deer.

Many people have at one time or another considered their "animal side" and have felt a potent connection to a certain animal. For example, when I was younger I believed I was a wolf in a past life. To date, I have been considered an impala, a kudu, a mountain lion, and a lemur. What fascinates me about this topic is that as humans, we actually enjoy comparing ourselves to animals.

Consider this: humans are supposedly the "superior" species with extensive mental capabilities while animals have more physical advantages to fight and survive. Animals are designed to merely exist while humans are designed to do much more: to thrive. That being said, it is intriguing to think that we would actually compare ourselves to animals. Relating someone's speed to that of a cheetah's is a superb compliment. We like the advantages of being human, but we love the combination of being both human and animal.

What this says is that humans are constantly trying to better themselves. We are a thinking species, and therefore, understand what we do not have. So it is only a natural component of the human persona to desire that which we do not have (like the superior physical capabilities of many animals). And once again, this all boils down to one concept that we should live by, not because it is right, but because it is in our nature: coexist.

Golden Compass

Submitted by tommybuteau on Sun, 2012-01-22 00:35.

I really like the direction your thoughts are heading here. I wonder if you have ever read Philip Pullman's novel The Golden Compass? I think you may enjoy it. The characters each have 'daemons' which are creatures that reflect each person's inner being. Part of the story centers around a plan to separate humans from their daemons. Plus, it is a fun adventure.

I think they have made a movie too.

^.^

Submitted by jonesy on Tue, 2012-01-24 02:15.

^.^