The Ant and The Dove

by: 16langk

I created the Scratch animation The Ant and The Dove as my response to a project to create an interactive ethical story. An ethical story is My story is about An ant that fell into a river. Right when he is about to drown, a dove that’s in a tree above drops a leaf into the water and saves the ant. When the ant gets to shore, he sees a bird catcher that is about to capture the dove.

The ant (player) has to decide whether to save the dove or get the food that another ant will take if he helps the dove. If he decides to help the dove, the ant will bite the bird catcher, who will scream, and scare the dove away. If the player decides to get the food, the ant will get the food before the other ant, the dove will get caught, and then as the bird catcher is walking back, he steps on the ant. This teaches the player that there are consequences to being selfish, and that you should help people especially if they helped you.

My story was inspired by aesop’s fables. I searched aesop’s fables on the internet and found this website: http://aesopfables.com/cgi/aesop1.cgi?1&TheAntandtheDove&&antdove2.ram . Then I looked through the different fables, until I found one that I liked. My favorite of all the ones that I looked at was The Ant and The Dove, so I used that to create my ethical story.

I think I was successful in creating my story because It has everything that I wanted it to have. The only thing that I might not have done correctly is making it three minutes long. Other than that all my sprites and the background turned out the way that I wanted it to.

Feedback

16rahmana's picture
Submitted by 16rahmana on Thu, 2012-01-05 18:23.

Kayla, I though your animation was very good. I liked the fact that your ethical story had made sense had made viewers actually think about their ethical decision. I also liked the dove, it was cool. One thing that I have found confusing is that in your animation, there is a blue trail. Is that trail water. Because if it is, (I’m sorry I have to break it down to you) ANT CAN’T SWIM. So I was confused a little bit on that. Overall, your scratch animation was very interesting. The decisions that you have made the players was good. This is because I was very tempted in picking the wrong ethical decision at first. And I was able to understand the whole animation realizing the moral of the story is not to be selfish.

Silvia

Submitted by 16camposs on Fri, 2012-01-06 00:26.

I liked your ethical story because it was really interesting and it had a strong moral to it.

I noticed that your project was really short, I think the best way to make it longer would be by adding more dialogue to it and also by making a cover page for your project.

The ethical dilemma in your story is very clear and it tells me that selfishness leads to bad consequences and that those who are selfish finish off terribly and those that help others actually get more than of what they expected.

I liked the story the most

16islamr's picture
Submitted by 16islamr on Tue, 2012-01-24 16:08.

The thing that I liked most about your animation was the story itself. Its a really good story that has a very good ability to encourage viewers to make more ethical decisions. I also really like the scene with the dove, the ant, and the hunter. It looked pretty awesome. The only thing that I noticed that wasn't great was that the animation doesn't start off right. Besides that, I enjoyed watching this animation especially because it teaches a good lesson and it displayed a good visual scene for the story.

Nice Job!

Submitted by 17khrimianz on Thu, 2012-04-26 10:07.

I really like your animation. It not only functions well and looks great, the ethical story is well played in this animation. It isn't exactly a hard choice to make, but there are two solid options that are both good for the player, or so it seems. Your take on the fable "The Ant and the Dove" makes the ethical dilemma really clear. Really good work and nice scripting!

My thoughts on your animation

17kims's picture
Submitted by 17kims on Thu, 2012-04-26 13:37.

I really liked you animation very much, especially the ethical dilemma. I think the quality was great...BUT THE ANIMATION WAS TOO SHORT~I would have liked it if you added a little bit more to it, I would have enjoyed it a little more~ Overall, I think the ethical dilemma was great overall, and easy enough to understand.~

i liked the way that you

Submitted by 17gomezl on Fri, 2012-04-27 13:50.

i liked the way that you presented what happens when you make cruel decisions

This was great, the ethical

Submitted by 17devkotaa on Fri, 2012-04-27 14:04.

This was great, the ethical dilema was a bit hard to pick, since its whether you get the grape and survive or save the bird and die, but i did think you should have actually animated the consequences rather than write it out in a background. just a thought

Wow!

Submitted by 17suek on Fri, 2012-04-27 23:03.

I was going to do a similar project also based on this Aesop fable story, I think you put it together very well and it was a really good animation. The ethical dilemma was very nice, since it was to starve or do the right thing. One thing I would have improved was at the beginning, you could have made the text stay on the screen longer so people could read it. Overall, great job!

Your animation

Submitted by 17jungn on Sun, 2012-04-29 11:29.

I really like your animation, and the story you have used. I like how you create a clear ethical dilemma, which was to choose whether to save the dove or to get the food. The only thing I think you could expand on is that you should add some sprites and backgrounds, and make it longer. This story could be longer, and more interesting.

I like your animation and I

Submitted by 17alvareza on Sun, 2012-04-29 16:55.

I like your animation and I think it's cool how the dilemma is actually a hard decision to make, and worth thinking.

My response to Your animation

17pandiss's picture
Submitted by 17pandiss on Mon, 2012-04-30 14:42.

I enjoyed your animation. It was short and simple. There was no dialogue, which in most cases is not the best way to create an animation. Almost, in your case it made the story enjoyable. It was well thought out.

If I had to rate your ethical dilemma and how you showed it in your animation it would be a 2/3. This is because it was well thought out and it had a moral to it. Unfortunately, you had no story after the ethical dilemma. You showed no seen that occurred after it. All you did was tell us a few sentences. To improve it maybe it would show two different scenes depending on what you chose. Other than that the story was very good and I enjoyed it.

I liked your project. It was

17roused's picture
Submitted by 17roused on Sat, 2012-05-05 16:54.

I liked your project. It was very simple and interesting. I also liked your take on the original tale, that was pretty creative. The only downside was that the dilemma was a bit hard to choose from, but that made you think more, which was fine. Good job!