The Ant and the Grasshopper

by: 16rahmana

I created the Scratch animation Ethical Story: The Ant and the Grasshopper as my response to a project to create an interactive ethical story. An ethical story is a story where the characters make decisions. The decision that the character takes can result as a good consequence or it can either be a bad consequence.

For this scratch assignment, we are supposed to create a story animation that has aspects where players have to make ethical decisions. So I have done some research and chosen a fable to animate. The fable that I have chosen to animate is the ant and the grasshopper. In this story, winter is arriving. And there is this grasshopper that is dancing. Then he sees an ant getting his supplies for winter. The grasshopper’s says to the ant to come join him and dance together. But the ant refuses the offer because he was preparing for winter and he recommends that the grasshopper should do the same. The grasshopper said that it would be awhile till winter would come so he refused and continued to dance. Then winter did come actually. And the grasshopper had no food. So he went to the ant to ask for food. But the ant refused to give him food. He should have been prepared before. So the lesson of this story is that it is best to prepare for the days of necessity and that there is a time to play and there is time to get serious.

Experiencing the same dilemma as the fable of the ant and the grasshopper had inspired my story. When I first found this fable on the Internet, I though about it and it had occurred to me that this can be a real life situation and I have certainly experienced it before. A couple of years back it was Spring break and I decided that I will have a lot of fun. My parent kept telling me too do my homework first and then go enjoy whatever it is. But I refused and told them my homework would be done before school would begin. After have lots of fun, I lost track of time and did not finish my homework then I did have to suffer just like the grasshopper so I had to make the ethical decision.

I think I was unsuccessful is creating my story because I have fulfilled most of the requirements except two of them. The first requirement that I thin I did not fulfill is where our scratch animation have to be at least three minutes long. I think my scratch animation is a little less than three minutes long. I didn’t actually time my scratch animation so I assume it is less than three minutes long. Another requirement where I think I was failed to complete is that the scratch animation in which you make the ethical decision appropriate to at least children of the age of thirteen. I thought that the ethical decision was kind of too easy and not appropriate to most thirteen year old so I would improve on that requirement if I could.

I the lesson/ theme of being

Submitted by 16linj on Thu, 2012-01-05 20:52.

I the lesson/ theme of being aware of the future and that you shouldn't always be playing because sometimes you need to be serious and think ahead.
I noticed that the animation wasn't three minutes long like the requirement said. Also when the ant asked me if i wanted to collect food, i typed yeah and it thought i meant no. I realized that it would only work if i typed yes.
I understood the theme/lesson. I funny how the ant and cricket could prepare food for a whole winter.

I think your animation was

Submitted by 16moyv on Thu, 2012-01-05 22:48.

I think your animation was interesting. The animation was not three minutes long though. There was a small bug when you said yup, or yeah. It seemed like I had to say yes for it to respond correctly. You met all of the other requirements though. There was two ethical choices to be made.