Anxiety Disorders

by: sanfra

In Donna Wilkinson’s essay, "Anxiety Disorders: Living on a Thin Line," from http://tinyurl.com/bsrl35x, Donna Wilkinson says a story about women who go through anxiety. She also clears the air on the big question : “Why do females tend to get anxiety more than male?” I chose to do this topic, to understand the symptoms and causes of anxiety. Sometimes when I get told I have an exam, I overly panic and get 5-10 minutes blackout on my left eye. This happens often, so I have asked my mom about it and she says “it’s the pressure of my eyes.”

When we consider the issue of anxiety some might wonder: What are the symptoms? Wilkinson’s article addresses this question by allowing the reader to understand what occurred to her.“Anxiety disorders include panic disorder, which are episodes of intense fear; phobias, which are irrational fears of a place or thing; generalized anxiety disorder, which is chronic worrying; post-traumatic stress disorder, linked to a traumatic event; and obsessive-compulsive disorder, which involves repetitive behavior or disturbing thoughts.” This stretches the idea, that anxiety can occur to almost anyone. In other words what Wilkinson is saying is that one may be overly nervous and worried. For example, Molly may be washing the dishes and all of a sudden get a thought about an upcoming exam and become to panic and not bare to continue washing the dishes.

This might make people wonder if they have anxiety. But, who doesn't get nervous once in awhile? We all get nervous a few times in our lives, but that doesn't mean one has anxiety. Anxiety is a disease that gives that person a “mini heart attack.” I'm pretty sure this is accurate because in the article Wilkinson states “Studies show that these disorders account for billions a year in medical costs. Symptoms can mimic illnesses like heart attacks, and sufferers are three to five times more likely to see doctors and six times more likely to be hospitalized.”

Another point Wilkinson makes in her article is: "women have twice the risk as men. " This is significant because it allows someone to determine how likely they are to having anxiety. It’s always good to know which sex has an advantage. I double-checked this fact through on this website http://tinyurl.com/cnvympt, which makes me feel pretty sure that it is true and not a subjective idea Wilkinson will make up.
A third point addressed by Wilkinson is: "Disorders tend to show up during adolescence and up to mid-30’s." This is also important because it gives it a bit of a “happy ending” to know that the disorder doesn't continue after the mid-30’s.

What we can appreciate about this writer's work is that she speaks from her behalf and experiences while interviewing and going in depth with the topic. We can look forward to seeing what she writes next because “anxiety disorders affect 19.1 million people in the United States,” it’s better to be aware now, before it’s too late.

Dear sanfra, I find this

Submitted by rbriesacher on Tue, 2013-05-07 13:03.

Dear sanfra,

I find this information very helpful! I think its great that you took the time to research this topic, and I think it will help a lot of people understand a little more about anxiety. I am a very stressed person - I tend to have a busy schedule that can become very overwhelming, and its good to know that I don't have an anxiety disorder based on the information you have here. I've never had to deal with an anxiety/panic attack, and although I do stress a lot, its good to see that my stress level is relatively normal. Thanks for this information!

Sanfra- I find the

Submitted by sideknee on Tue, 2013-05-07 14:42.

Sanfra-
I find the information you've presented here very helpful as well as interesting. Though I myself do not have an anxiety disorder, my siblings do. And by reading the information you've made available to me I see that their anxiety disorders are not actually very bad compared to more sever cases of anxiety disorders. It absolutely baffles me that 1.1 million Americans are affected by anxiety disorders. I'm curious as to where Wilkinson got this information. I look forward to what you'll have to write next, particularly if it is about such an interesting topic as anxiety disorders.

Anxiety

Submitted by EmmeN on Tue, 2013-05-07 14:44.

Sanfra, I find your post to be very interesting and informative. The information you have provided has really explained what anxiety is. After reading this post, I found to have similar symptoms when I overload myself with school, work, and other things in my life. Although I don't have an anxiety disorder, I have had anxiety attacks before and was very confused about why and how they happen before I read your post. I found it particularly interesting that women are more likely to have anxiety than males. Thank you for writing about this fascinating topic. I am excited to read more of what you write in the future.
-Emme

Anxiety

Submitted by EmmeN on Tue, 2013-05-07 14:45.

-Emme

Panic Attacks

Submitted by Zoe27 on Tue, 2013-05-07 14:54.

I find it interesting that panic attacks were described as having symptoms of a heart attack. I could definitely side with the kind of feeling of tensing up and your heart rate increasing to an unbearable pace, but I don't feel like I have ever personally experienced heart pains from a panic attack, then again that is just me. For me panic attacks are like everything in my body is speeding up really fast, but my surroundings are moving incredibly slow. This can cause even more panic, because it feels like the walls will be closing in or there is just something wrong with where you are. Have you looked into reasons for panic? Because personally I am triggered with performances, loud places, crowds, etc. But I would be interested in finding out what triggers other people with anxiety.