Archetypes

In the 1979 blockbuster film, Star Wars: A New Hope, viewers find themselves deeply immersed in the life of young Luke Skywalker, who is leading a normal life on the desert planet of Tatooine, selling and fixing up droids with his Uncle Owen. However, after an important droid, R2-D2, gets in the hands of Luke and his uncle, things quickly turn interesting for Luke. When R2 makes contact with Obi-Wan Kenobi, Luke is brought into contact with one of the few remaining Jedi in the galaxy. Throughout the rest of the movie, Obi-Wan teaches Luke the ways of the Jedi and how to become a crucial part in fighting against the empire.
Obi-wan Kenobi’s role in the movie, Star Wars: A New Hope, directly mirrors the common archetype of the wise old man. Kenobi finds himself mentoring and teaching Luke Skywalker (the son of his former apprentice, Anakin Skywalker), the ways of the force, and becomes somewhat of a father figure to Luke as the film progresses. In fact, this connection becomes so strong, that when Obi-Wan is killed by the leader of the Empire, Darth Vader, at the end of the movie, Luke feels as if he has lost a close family member, a father figure one could say.
Luke is very antsy to get started in acquiring knowledge of the force, as well as learning how to use a lightsaber. However, Obi-Wan (also known as Ben), works with Luke slowly so as to develop the skills and knowledge correctly. This mentorship that Kenobi provides to Luke greatly mirrors that of a wise old man, teaching an apprentice or younger person a skill they have mastered.

I agree

Submitted by adi_kandula on Mon, 2016-06-06 11:19.

I agree that Obi-Wan fits the role of an archetype by being a wise, old man. I feel like Athena in the Odyssey fits this archetype too because although she is not old, she is wise and guides Odysseus on his journey home.

God I love that movie

Submitted by Roan522 on Mon, 2016-06-06 18:29.

And this is a perfect explanation of a perfect archetype in a perfect movie.