Archetypes in The Sword of Shannara

by: BryceK18

I recently started reading the Sword of Shannara series. I am not very far into it, but I am enjoying it so far. The two main characters, Flick and Shea are very different. Flick follows the reluctant hero archetype, and Shea follows more of an enthusiastic hero archetype. The wise mentor archetype isn’t explored very much in the book so far. The only mentors have been the brothers’ father, and the young man named Allanon, though he doesn’t really fit any one archetype. He is described as an explorer, warrior and historian. I have not encountered that kind of character before in reading, and it will be interesting to see where it leads. The evil mastermind that is trying to take over the world archetype is fulfilled by the Warlock Lord of the north. The general symbol for power in the book so far is the sword itself. It is the ancient elven king's sword, and gives whoever wields it great power.

Bryce, This sounds like an

Submitted by SarahLW0518 on Sun, 2015-05-31 22:26.

Bryce,

This sounds like an interesing book. As another thing to explore, I wonder if the sword, which represents power, could be reflected in an archetype as well.

-Sarah

Bryce, This sounds like an

Submitted by SarahLW0518 on Sun, 2015-05-31 22:27.

Bryce,

-Sarah

The mentor you mentioned

landayc18's picture
Submitted by landayc18 on Mon, 2015-06-01 11:15.

The mentor you mentioned could probably most be likened to that of a retired hero. Most mentors in these types of stories end up being retired heroes anyhow. I'm curious to see where you will see the mentors' archetypes going. It's also going to be cool seeing how the title artifact of the book comes in to play in the plot.