Are teens are so focused on the technology that they might miss out in some things in life?

by: dsalazar

The general topic i will be working on for my senior project is going to be about teens and technology. I chose this because many teenagers now and days have some sort of technology that they use throughout the day like phones or computers that keep them entertained for the rest of their day.

Some information that i learned through the pre-research was that there is about 95% of teens that go on the internet in America everyday. And finding this makes me think that many teens are too focused on the technology that they might miss out in some things in life.

People should care about this topic because technology can affect the teen in many ways, from school work to their personal life. From good to bad.

Dear Daniel, I completly

Submitted by Monica on Mon, 2013-10-07 02:21.

Dear Daniel,
I completly agree on your opinion that teenager may be too involved in technology and I have to speak for myself as well.
I believe that us as the future of our nation shouldn`t be so focused on something as unimportant as facebook or instagram.

I look forward to more of your senior project

Agree

jenrnyah's picture
Submitted by jenrnyah on Fri, 2013-10-11 14:11.

Dear dainel,

I agree completely with your opinion because some students turn in essays with "text language" for example, LOL, Idk, ttly, ect. Students are taking there time away from the real world. Especial teenagers.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is "People should care about this topic because technology can affect the teen in many ways, from school work to their personal life. From good to bad." This sentence stands out to me because me being a young teen, I would much rather sit on Instagram than do my math homework. Technology is a distraction, no doubt. But school comes first.

Another sentence that jumped out at me is, "I chose this because any teenagers now and days have some sort of technology that they use throughout the day like phone and computers." More than half the kid in my school have iPhones or Samsung galaxy's that there constantly on.

Your post reminds me of me. Throughout the school day during class I'd check my Instagram and I find myself putting smiley faces or text terms in my school work.
Thanks for your writing. I look toward to see the rest of your project!

I agree that teens use

Submitted by dmvoytovich on Tue, 2013-10-08 15:19.

I agree that teens use technology far too much these days. Although I also believe that there are many positives that come from this. I believe that internet use can help todays youth become more literate, because most of what we use the internet for is actually reading what other people are writing. This reading helps us improve our own literary skills, while also helping our youth comprise more critical thoughts at a higher rate than the generations before us who didn't have the internet as an outlet. This is why I believe there are actually benefits from the amount our generation spends on the internet.

Agree

nabeeliz's picture
Submitted by nabeeliz on Fri, 2013-10-11 14:07.

Dear dsasazar :

I am curious about your essay, "Teen and technology ," because It is very interesting. I've never thought about it before.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "Some information that i learned through the pre-research was that there is about 95% of teens that go on the internet in America everyday." I think this is sad because this is our next generation. These are going to be the adults in the world.

Another sentence that I read was: "And finding this makes me think that many teens are too focused on the technology that they might miss out in some things in life." This stood out for me because it is the same way for me. That they might miss out on some things in life.

Your reminds me of something that happened to me. Most of the time my cousin spends his time on the computer and when we come over he never plays with us. I understand that he might not want to play with us but he never really does. He is missing out on quality time with his cousins and sister.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I can relate to your topics easily. They also interest me.

Dear Daniel,Thanks for the

Submitted by sgalvan on Mon, 2013-10-14 20:44.

Dear Daniel,

Thanks for the insightful post you have it seem that you are very interested in studying the side effects of technology on teens. It seem that technology/ social media is become a huge issue in teens daily life and you want to know what are some effects that been portrayed for teenagers using technology and why they focused to much.

What interest me on your topic was that when you find on your pre-research the statistic that approximately 95% on teenagers in America were on internet everyday. My opinion was that I'm not really surprised to this because nowadays most teenagers have been in the internet all day and all night not to mention even in class hour students using their phone or other devices,although it was prohibited in the class. Consider now that technology is a powerful source of resources and entertainment. Here you can research what majority of teens mostly use technology( like the majority group or age in general)

Another thing that I would suggest to your topic was try to get more information about how does technology has negative and positive impact on teenagers? basically in their daily life, how does technology affects teens health? What are effects off to much technology dependence on teenagers? What impact stereotypes about teenager and technology on the internet have? and why it was unfair? you should be more specific about your topic. Here are some website where you can get more information its " GOOGLE SCHOLAR" just type what ever question you had about your topic and it would pop up some good articles about your topic. Hope at least this little information help you get started and can expand your topic.

Interesting topic

btaleb's picture
Submitted by btaleb on Thu, 2013-10-17 23:04.

I really enjoy this topic because it is still a hot topic now a days and also is a common question that is asked by your doctor to, which how many hours do you look into a lit screen like surfing the web, t.v., phone, and others. What I found interesting about your topic is that 95% of teenagers are on the internet everyday. Like dude do you know how many teenagers live in the U.S, and also I wanted to say to not always trust your sources because that percentage could just be out of the 1000 teens that took the survey or something equivalent to that.

Some things that I would like to advise for you to do for your topic is to make it more specific because the topic of teens and technology is too broad. Make it more specific such as teens in Oakland or male teens in the Bay Area, something that you could narrow your topic to so it doesn't have to be so general. Some questions I have for you are how does your topic relate back to you and why did you find it interesting in the first place to do it? Also, what quantity of female and male teens are constantly, sometimes, rarely, or never on their phones, computers, or other tech. devices? Finally, I would love to follow up on your topic and see where it leads you.

Hey I still really like your

Submitted by voytovich on Tue, 2013-10-29 15:32.

Hey I still really like your topic and I love the idea of talking about technology and the way it affects the yourth of our world. This is a hot topic in the world today because it is so crucial to the future of our nation and our world. You should look more into the specifics of social media and social networking on our youth. Do you believe that social networking is positive or negative on the young adults of the world? How do you think social networking benefits, or hurts our youth?

Enjoy your post

Submitted by Tansoup on Fri, 2014-01-31 13:30.

I am doing roughly the same topic, for my senior research paper. I am working "how the affect of the iPhone has changed our society." I look forward to reading more of your posts. Good luck with your senior year, and your research topic.
Tanner

This topic is really

Submitted by cbrashear on Tue, 2014-02-11 16:28.

This topic is really important in today's world. With technology becoming part of almost every aspect of our lives, its hard to escape. I am curious if this increase in technology is a positive or negative thing. I'm excited to read the results that you find. Good luck!

Interesting Topic

Submitted by e_peife on Wed, 2014-02-19 02:02.

I really like this topic and think it is very interesting. I agree that technology is having a great impact on teens. I am doing a research project on relationships and have found that technology has had a big impact on the dynamics of relationships. From texting to TV, relationships have changed a lot compared to previous generations of couples. I am interested to see where this project has taken you and the research you have found.

I agree with your statement.

18khana's picture
Submitted by 18khana on Fri, 2014-02-21 01:51.

I agree with your statement. Teens are always on their technology 24/7 whether its on their smartphone, laptop, or any other device, we always have something to do on them and we forget about our surroundings and miss the moments in life others in the 1980's probably experienced everyday. And it isn't only with teens; if you're young or old it doesn't matter. Technology has advanced and is still advancing around the world, allowing us to have more advantages in what we do day to day. We don't read newspapers anymore since we have the internet in the palm of our hands daily,we have all these social networking sites and internet sources to use whenever we need information that we could say our whole life is based on that one device. It is affecting us in our health, education, and reputation. This gives people these days no reason to not stay on the internet, leaving them without a clue of how it could be bad for them. Teens today are missing out on important events that they won't be able to experience again.

Teenagers and technology.

reeparr98's picture
Submitted by reeparr98 on Sun, 2014-03-02 21:59.

Dear Daniel :

I am thrilled about your post, "Are teens are so focused on the technology that they might miss out in some things in life?" because we thrive in a technological era where technology evolves around a teenager’s life. From the computers that are used at school to the cellular device used to update a person’s status technology plays an important role in this world.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "I chose this because many teenagers now and days have some sort of technology that they use throughout the day like phones or computers that keep them entertained for the rest of their day." I think this is interesting because I noticed that most teenagers are on their cell phone posting pictures on Instagram instead of using their phone for educational purposes. Most youngsters are using technology that would not benefit them in the future.

Another sentence that intrigued me was: "Some information that i learned through the pre-research was that there is about 95% of teens that go on the internet in America everyday." This stood out for me because the amount of teenagers that go on the internet about half would go on for education, entertainment, and on social media sites to update their status.

Your post reminds me of something that I have observed. By being aware of my environment I noticed that people would rather spend numerous amounts of time on their devices instead of spending time with their family. We thrive within a world where people focus on their social media status and communicating on the online world. In the past people left their home to go talk to neighbors or write letters.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because there's more to life than thriving in a virtual world. I believe there should be a balance between technology and the analog world. Technology has its benefits on life but it has it’s pinnacle for example obesity. If people were to spend at least 60 minutes daily exercising instead of watching television they could live a longer and healthy life.

Interesting Post.

natasha.ruiz9's picture
Submitted by natasha.ruiz9 on Fri, 2014-03-07 11:05.

Dear Daniel :

I am fascinated by your post, "Are teens are so focused on the technology that they might miss out in some things in life?," when you put a teen in front of the phone or computer they are willing to stay there for a period of time and forget about their surroundings. Social media affects teens when interacting with life and family.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "Some information that i learned through the pre-research was that there is about 95% of teens that go on the internet in America everyday. And finding this makes me think that many teens are too focused on the technology that they might miss out in some things in life." I think this is true because most teens when interacting with the internet they are most focused on their phone than what's really important in reality.
The more a teenager engages in social media the more they do not care about life.

Another sentence that I saw was: "I chose this because many teenagers now and days have some sort of technology that they use throughout the day like phones or computers that keep them entertained for the rest of their day.." This stood out for me because all teenagers can not say they do not interact on their phone and computer when most of us have done it at least once in our life. Teenagers can spend the whole day on their phone and computer instead of being active on the daily basis and making a living. When it comes to phones and computers teenagers get so addicted that they get placed in their own little world where nothing matters but what's in front of them which is a screen.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time there was a website that was so addicting. It was like a virtual world where you can chat and have a avatar online. It was called “Meez”.The website was so addicting that right after I finished my homework I would get on the website and stay there for hours when I could be doing something else.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because i found the post really interesting to read. I also thought it had a central message for everyone to open their eyes to reality.

Interesting Topic

Submitted by Cassadey on Fri, 2014-03-07 13:23.

I think this is such a good topic because it is so true about our society and how we rely on technology so much. Even though we are doing research papers in english class, we are also making documentaries in my photography class, and one of my friends has somewhat of the same topic as you. I will have to send you the link to her video when we are done making them, maybe you can get some good information from some of the students she used in her interviews for your paper. I can't wait to read the final product!

Technology

Submitted by jverdejo7 on Wed, 2014-03-19 12:45.

Dear Daniel :

I am curious with your post, "Are teens are so focused on the technology that they might miss out in some things in life?," because technology is evolving and anyone would like to lay their hands on new technology. Teens nowadays have gotten addicted to technology.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "Some information that i learned through the pre-research was that there is about 95% of teens that go on the internet in America everyday. " I think this is interesting because that is a huge number of teens in America that go on the internet. There should be a different percentage to see how much of the teens are using it for homework research or for social media.

Another sentence that interested me was: "People should care about this topic because technology can affect the teen in many ways, from school work to their personal life" This stood out for me because not every teen gets the negative effects from technology. Many teens benefit from technology. Other teens benefit but also have negative effects.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I was so addicted to technology I did really do work. After I noticed a big drop in my grades I decided to organized myself and learn that technology is beneficial but too much can be bad for me.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because there can be more research towards this topic. You also write about an interesting topic that many teens go through everyday.

Opinion

andrewjackson775's picture
Submitted by andrewjackson775 on Thu, 2014-03-20 12:55.

Dear Daniel :
I am intrigued by your post, "Are teens are so focused on the technology that they might miss out in some things in life?," because it relates to me life and social problems now. I can relate to your post and views on the topic very well.
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "Some information that i learned through the pre-research was that there is about 95% of teens that go on the internet in America everyday." I think this is very interesting because it shows that kids make going online a priority for them and it is the majorities choice to go online everyday. This is a decision that almost every kid decides the same answer to, which is very interesting.
Another sentence that I found interesting was: "People should care about this topic because technology can affect the teen in many ways, from school work to their personal life. From good to bad." This stood out for me because he realizes that technology can be used for good such as teens study, researching and learning more. It can be bad because teens can get distracted from their work and become addicted to technology.
Your post reminds me of a time in my life. I used to be sort of addicted to online Youtube. Sometimes I would spend many times online watching videos. I would start on a video about how to fix a t.v and end up on a video about the history of cats. It affected me school work for the bad, which I had to soon change to make sure I put my schoolwork first.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I would like to hear more on the effects on technology on kids. Maybe even other aspects, such as exercise and/or drugs on the development of a teen.

Kids

danielapolanco42's picture
Submitted by danielapolanco42 on Fri, 2014-03-21 11:33.

Dear Daniel

I am blown away by your post, "Are teens are so focused on the technology that they might miss out in some things in life? ," because... I agree with you completely teen are so involved with the internet that they forget that their is a real world out there. I also agree with you because teen some time teen rather stay in and stay on the internet.
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: " 95% of teens that go on the internet in America everyday" I think this is accurate because all the people I see are constantly on their phone. I agree with you because you hary see kids and teens outside and if their outside and if they are they have a phone in their hand. Thank you for writing

From Daniela

Agree

garciadestinya's picture
Submitted by garciadestinya on Thu, 2014-04-03 12:28.

Dear Daniel,

Your post “Are teens are so focused on the technology that they might miss out in some things in life?” is very interesting. It caught my eye because I agree with you on the topic. Technology is taking over, especially with teens.

One sentence that stood out for me was “Some information that i learned through the pre-research was that there is about 95% of teens that go on the internet in America everyday. And finding this makes me think that many teens are too focused on the technology that they might miss out in some things in life.” This stood out for me because you’re 100% right. Teens are so focused on technology that they don’t realize what’s really going on in the world. They miss out on so much because of technology.

I totally agree with you that “People should care about this topic because technology can affect the teen in many ways, from school work to their personal life.” Technology affects teens everyday little by little, but they don’t notice it. Teens are getting sucked into all the new technology and all to where if they don’t have technology, they basically can’t survive.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you have a point in what you say. You have very interesting topics.