Arkansas Mourns Death

by: andrews

The Arkansas football team mourned the the loss of backup tight end Garrett Uekman, as he passed away on Sunday. Coming off an impressive 44-17 victory over Mississippi State on Saturday, the team quickly shifted their attention to the loss of a teammate. Uekman played in nine of the games for the razorbacks this year, an encouraging sign for the 19-year old freshman. He was found unconscious and unresponsive in his dorm room around 11:15 on Sunday morning. He was seen approximately an hour before playing video games by a roommate. The University police lieutenant stated that there were no suspicious circumstances regarding Garrett’s death. Head coach Bobby Petrino fought back tears as he read a personal statement about Uekman.

Petrino stated "Garrett Uekman was a special member of our family, and we are all saddened by his passing. His loss is a terrible shock, and it makes you realize how precious life is."

Following the impressive win on Saturday and due in part to other upsets around the college football world, Arkansas vaulted to the number three ranking in the BCS standings. We’ll have to see if this tragic event helps bring the team together or provides distraction, as the razorbacks look to wrap up the season on the road at #1 ranked LSU.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7261953/arkansas-freshman...