Arrrgh They Out There

The most interesting thing I read about pirates is that there are still many around today. I think the most shocking thing is that they attack cruise ships. I also think that it is very extreme that the pirates actually fire at ships because it’s stuff that you only read about in stories or see in movies. According to an article in the Huffington Post piracy has grown in somalia since the collapse of the government in 1991 and many pirates say they don’t attack ships to hurt anyone, they just want money. I didn’t know that more than half of Somalia’s population relies on international aid for food which is why some of the young men turn to piracy.

Rachel great post, I'm very

Submitted by JesusSalazar on Fri, 2015-03-20 12:24.

Rachel great post, I'm very interested in this topic and can't wait to see what else you write about in the future. One cool thing you could maybe elaborate on is where some of these pirates still exist and what type of weapons they use.

Rachel, it's great that

Submitted by duncanhickman on Fri, 2015-03-20 14:14.

Rachel, it's great that you're bringing a topic like this one to light. I don't think you're alone when you say that it's shocking that pirates attack cruise ships, and even the thought that pirates are still around. Good luck writing your essay, I would like to see your final piece!

Rachel, great topic

Submitted by NateHigley on Sun, 2015-03-22 18:03.

It is hard to believe that there are still pirates around today. I would like to know where most of these pirates come from and how many there are. I look forward to seeing what you end up finding out about these modern pirates.