Ayiti

by: 12trank
Not all games are the same. Some are computer games played for entertainment reasons. Others seem to be designed to give awareness on situations around the world. While some are played simply for stress relieving purposes. Whatever game it is, the goals are always the same: to try and beat the game. It involves different methods and trial and errors. It is a learning experience.

I occasionally enjoy life games: Restaurant City. Anything and everything that involves running a life, business or so on. I love to try different methods, design it different ways, and when i win, i get the satisfaction of feeling accomplished in something, and also i like to start over when i mess up on these games. I enjoy knowing that I'm one step closer to gain money, to being a winner. If I happen to lose, I do what any other player would do. I tell myself that I know its just a game. But i come back to the game and see if i can do better. 

Recently, I've been spending some time playing the game Ayiti: The Cost of Life. This is a game in which you have to send members of a family off in different places to  help them survive life in Haiti. The goal of the game is to educate, keep the family healthy and help them financially. This is a goal easier said than done. Many characters in the game are easily prone to getting severe sickness and dieing. By the end of the game, if you are lucky enough to make to the end of the fourth year, you take a quiz and see how your family has done.

The first time you play the game, you it was depressing. It is easy to get sick, bankrupt and die. It really isn't until the third or fourth time when the game starts to get repetitive that you truly realize that helping the community helps the family. An education can lead the family to higher paying jobs but you need to work at the same time. You begin to understand that it is not necessary to send the children to school.

There are times when you are playing this game that you want to quit. You don't want to see them keep dying. But you keep going because you want to find a way to make their situation better. So you keep playing, keep trying. Trying to keep everyone happy and healthy. You want to help them survive through every season.

In the course of playing this game I increased my knowledge about the issues of life. Parents have a lot of responsibility to keep the family safe, happy and healthy. It is dire to ignore sicknesses and its hard to balance many things at one time. They are all important.

In my opinion, this is  a good way to learn about these issues. You dont have to actually experience it and ruin your life in reality. You can try and understand through the game. Games should be a larger component of education because they can both educate and keep their attention at the same time.

Dear Kimberly,  I really

Submitted by 12chenj on Wed, 2010-03-03 19:30.

Dear Kimberly,

I really liked your post and I thought it was pretty self-explanatory to me. Maybe even more understanding for a new person who wants to play this game. You have good information which I can understand that since you like to be strategic with Restaurant City, and you like to find ways to make money; then Ayiti seems like a good game for you. I agree with your post because I think there are some games which can be positive for education and teach us more then maybe books can.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you have nice tips on how to survive the game and make through poverty (without trying to end up there first). I will actually take your tips and advice to make sure that [my] family in the game does not have to be tombstones, anymore.

--Jialin C. 

Dear Kimberly,  This piece

Submitted by 12bhattim on Thu, 2010-03-04 00:17.

Dear Kimberly, 

This piece of writing was very interesting to me because it seems to have provided two very different opinons about one thing.I understand that Ayiti is a very difficult game to play because of all the challenges and obstacles that you have to overcome in order to keep you family and members happy and alive. However you state that "you begin to understand that it is not necessary to send the children to school". I do not understand why you would say that, because doesnt that directly affect the amount of money that you make. The higher the education that you have, the more higher paying job you are going to be able to get? So i was very surprised that you wrote that...

Another comment that I wanted to make was that how exactly is it a good way in order to learn about societial issues? You stated that "In my opinion, this is  a good way to learn about these issues. You dont have to actually experience it and ruin your life in reality. You can try and understand through the game. Games should be a larger component of education because they can both educate and keep their attention at the same time", however you are only getting information from a virtual display of characters. Some of the problems and obstacles you face are repetitive and even after making that money, there can be other problems that are not mentioned in the game (such as unemployment, lack of farming because of the weather conditions, etc). I disagree with your perception on this game teaching people how to learn, because it some ways it either creates steriotypes or perpetuates them. If people really want to learn, the way to learn isn't through playing a game about it, for simply entertainment.