Ayiti and Maplestory

by: amei
    Recently, I learned about the game, Ayitii and playing it for the first time, I thought it was fun but also hard. You have to try to not loose your money and keep your family healthy, happy, and educated. You are given 5 people and they each are different. Sometimes, they would get get sick and if you don't treat him/her, he/she can die. You wouldn't want that to happen. There is a store, and you could buy remedies, books, uniforms, toys to keep that family member's health, happiness, education bar high. I played this game many times and I always end up loosing money, and having my  family dead. I don't like seeing that, so I would restart the game again and again. In order to get money, you have to put the family to work. However, if they are not happy or depress, they wouldn't want to work and that's a problem. 
     A game that I love to play is Maplestory. My sister was the one to introduce me to this game and it was pretty fun. I find it similar to Iyati because in Maplestory, you have to make sure you don't die from the monsters. You could buy weapons to kill these monsters and some of them are very strong. However, if you are at a certain level, you could be stronger than the monster which then, you could kill it instantly. The higher the level you are, the harder it will be for you to level up. 
    If the Maplestory game was a color, it would be red. If it was a math problem, it would be 1+1=2. If it was a perfume, it would smell like strawberry. If Maplestory was a magazine article, it would be about different types of monsters or animals. If it was a sandwich, it would be a tuna sandwich. If it was a video, it would be about harry potter. If it was a song, it would be Run this Town.
    If the Iyati game was a color, it would be black. If it was a math problem, it would be y=mx+b. If it was a perfume, it would smell like chocolate. If it was a magazine article, it would be about survival on a island. If it was a sandwich, it would be a fish sandwich. If it was a video, it would be about Titanic. If it was a song, it would be the worlds greatest. 

Iyati Game Dialogue
Noob: I'm lost, I don't know what to do. Can you help me?
Pro: Yes, definitely, I'll help you. Okay, so first, choose a person and choose what you want that person to do. Do you want he/she to work or go to school? If you are putting he/she in a school where it requires uniform, then make sure you buy one.
Noob: Oh okay thanks.That helps a bit. What do I do when that person's health bar is low?
Pro: You could make that person rest at home or go to the hospital. Another way is to go to the store and buy remedies.
Noob: Oh i see. Yeah that would make sense. Thanks.
Pro. No problem.

Maplestory Game Dialogue
Noob: Hey, You mind helping me? How come some monsters are easy to kill and some are difficult to kill?
Pro: Thats because each monster has different level of strength. That means you should be at a certain level for some monster.
Noob: Oh no wonder. I'm level 7 killing this monster thats taking me forever.
Pro: Haha. Any more questions?
Noob: Um, How about weapons and clothes? Are there certain levels for that as well?
Pro: Yes there is, I remember I wanted to wear this outfit I saw at the store because it was pretty but my level was too low for it.
Noob: Ohh I see. Thanks!
Pro: Your welcome.

The game of Ayiti is set in a realistic world known as Haiti. The first thing a player has to do is pick a strategy for each of the five family members. There are a number of starting options, such as let the family member work, or go to school. Before you choose what you want the family memeber to do, you choose what is more important to you- Is it happiness, education, money, or health. Gameplay primarily consists of you have to make sure your happiness, education, and health bar is high. If your health is low, you will die. Also make sure the family has enough money. You are trying to get through all of the 4 seasons with no problems. Make sure all of the 5 family members is educated, happy and healthy. The ultimate goal of the game is to earn diplomas, make money, and keep the entire family healthy, happy, and educated. Players can play alone.
     The game of Maplestory is similar to Iyati. It's set in a fictional world. There are many worlds in the game. Players can choose which world they want to play in. The first thing a player has to do in Maplestory is design a character. There are a number od starting options, such as choosing the outfit for your character, a name for your character, and the world for the character. Gameplay primarily consists of killing the monsters which gives you experiences and make you level up. Make sure you don't die from the strong monsters though. Each player can choose a job for their character when they reach a certain level. You can choose to be a magician, bowman, warrior, or theif. The ultimate goal of the game is to level up and complete the quests you are given to do. For each quests, there is a certain level you have to be at though. Players can play alone or with other players in the game.        

Anna this post is really

cstanley's picture
Submitted by cstanley on Tue, 2010-02-23 09:36.

Anna this post is really good. You described your gamr really well and im actually interested in playing it now. Your post also had comedy in it, which was really good as well i enjoyed the entire thing. There were a few mistakes but noone is perfect. GOOD STORY!

Dear Anna, I liked your

tkim's picture
Submitted by tkim on Tue, 2010-02-23 12:33.

Dear Anna,

I liked your post, Ayiti and Maplestory because you completed all the things we needed to do. You did the dialogue and the metaphors and I found them interesting. Also, I liked how you explained how to play the games.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "You could buy weapons to kill these monsters and some of them are very strong." I think this is similar to other games that I played like shooting games. In shooting games, you can buy or unlock new guns to kill your opponent.

Another sentence that stood out was: "You have to make sure you don't die from the monsters." This stood out for me because it is similar to the Ayiti game except you have to becareful not to catch any diseases.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time, I was playing a game and someone calls me a noob. I didn't know what a noob was so I started cursing at him but the game wouldn't let me curse. Then, in a week the game got boring and I stopped playing games for a while.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next.

Dear Anna, I like how you

Submitted by kyan on Tue, 2010-02-23 12:37.

Dear Anna,

I like how you explained some basic stuff and when you wrote "If the Maplestory game was a color, it would be red," i thought orange would be better because of the mushroom and stuff. but i can see how you picked red.

another thing you wrote is "For each quests, there is a certain level you have to be at though," i like how you onnect the games though basic stuff just like in the ayiti game for some jobs u need a certain education level or item to do it.

I also play maplestory and you left out pirate "You can choose to be a magician, bowman, warrior, or theif."

Oh yeah... I forgot about

amei's picture
Submitted by amei on Thu, 2010-02-25 18:09.

Oh yeah... I forgot about pirate. Thanks for letting me know =)

Dear Anna Mei You're post is

dzhapa's picture
Submitted by dzhapa on Tue, 2010-02-23 19:44.

Dear Anna Mei

You're post is great and at the same time it is funny. I like the part where you said " game that I love to play is Maplestory. My sister was the one to introduce me to this game and it was pretty fun. I find it similar to Iyati because in Maplestory, you have to make sure you don't die from the monsters. You could buy weapons to kill these monsters and some of them are very strong. However, if you are at a certain level, you could be stronger than the monster which then, you could kill it instantly. The higher the level you are, the harder it will be for you to level up." Nice JOB.

maplestory...IS AWESOME! XD

therbin's picture
Submitted by therbin on Wed, 2010-02-24 12:50.

maplestory...IS AWESOME! XD

Anna, I liked how you

atorres's picture
Submitted by atorres on Thu, 2010-02-25 09:23.

Anna,

I liked how you described Ayiti and explained its similarities with the game you love. I never played Maplestory before, but I have played Gunbound. Do you this game? Maybe Gunbound isn't that great of a game, but it sure is fun.

By the way, I think your essay would be a lot better if you described why those metaphors made sense to you.

Agreed

19zhangl's picture
Submitted by 19zhangl on Wed, 2014-02-26 18:57.

Dear Atorres:
I am intrigued by your comment on, "Ayiti and Maplestory," because you mentioned that you play Gunbound and really enjoy it and so do I. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "Maybe Gunbound isn't that great of a game, but it sure is fun." I think this is relatable because Gunbound isn’t a super complicated game that takes lots of skill to play and be good at it but it is enjoyable. Your comment reminds me of something that happened to me. One time when I was little I stumbled upon the game Gunbound on this website and decided to download it, it was the funnest game I’ve ever played. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I can really relate to you because we play some of the same games and such.

Agreed

19zhangl's picture

Dear Atorres:

Interesting, I tried to play

QLin's picture
Submitted by QLin on Thu, 2010-02-25 09:35.

Interesting, I tried to play maple story before but I always give up after I die. and it annoys me going all over the place and I always get lost. Maplestory may be a game where you have to know how to multi task I think. Well. good writing Anna.

Dear Anna, I liked how you

achan's picture
Submitted by achan on Thu, 2010-02-25 23:28.

Dear Anna, I liked how you used Maple Story in your essay. I remember back then, when I first tried Maple Story..thinking it would be easy..turned out to be a failure.. Because I didn't have any connections.. it was hard getting around.. getting items.. getting money.. Like Michelle, my characters kept on dying and I got lost plenty of times.

It's interesting that you compared Ayiti:Cost of Life to Maple Story.. I think if you put it that way.. both games are survival. But MS is more like.. leveling up and getting new gears.. and Cost of Life is more like trying to stay alive.. it's short too. After you cleared four season.. the question is.. "Now what..?".  In my opion, compared to Cost of Life, MS is more entertaining.

Dear Anna,   You wrote a

aman's picture
Submitted by aman on Thu, 2010-02-25 10:06.

Dear Anna,

You wrote a really well description of Aiyiti. If I were new to this game and had no idea to what to do, i could just read your post and after, I'd know exactly what to do. Your writing would also persuade me to play the game even if I've never played it before. I liked the little dialogue that you put together, it was really humorous. Once again, your writing was great !

Oh anna your post was very

dtacuri's picture
Submitted by dtacuri on Thu, 2010-02-25 16:49.

Oh anna your post was very funny and interesting um with your malestory game I don't like it sounds very boring and so not interesting try to beat the monster and its easier to beat when your at a certain level it sounds like every other game. I did like your dialogue and what you comapred your games for example to a tuna sandwich or a fish sandwich very funny hope to read more of your essays child.

I like how you described

Submitted by 15EFSTATHIADISC on Thu, 2010-02-25 19:01.

I like how you described exactly what the game " Ayiti" was all about, and what your tasks to winning the game were. The part in your writing that I found most intresting, was when you descibed how this game can realate to the outside world, and especially Haiti. You informed everyone and said that the game showed you the different ways of living in Haiti and how it mostly gives us a general idea of their lives too!

Dear Anna: I found your post

12trank's picture
Submitted by 12trank on Thu, 2010-02-25 20:02.

Dear Anna:

I found your post interesting because you were able to explain both Maplestory and Ayiti very clearly because when i played it, i found that it was confusing to balance everything at the same time. 

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "Recently, I learned about the game, Ayitii and playing it for the first time, I thought it was fun but also hard." because I didnt find it fun at all at first. I found it quite depressing and frantic to try to keep them alive.

I doagree with you that it is fun. One reason I say this is because at first, i didnt find it fun, but i kept going back and retrying. It got addictive.

i would have to say that

Submitted by 12afsharm on Thu, 2010-02-25 21:52.

i would have to say that ayiti and maple story are two completely different games. maple story is an rpg game that is challenging but players can get better as they continue on playing. ayiti on the other hand, is such a challenging game that is nearly impossible to improve upn or get better at. i dont know why im saying that its a hard game, because i know there is definately a strategy, but im sure a handful of people know it.

When you Said That iF

Submitted by 15TIEUK on Sun, 2010-02-28 15:54.

When you Said That iF MAplestory Were a Perfum iHt Would Be Strawberry iHt Made Me Wonder Whut Made yOu Think That ? Because i Am A Fan Of Maplestory iHtself Buht How iS Maplestory Sweet Like A Strawberry ?! iHTs More LIke "Oh No iM Gunna Die From This Monster" Which i Wud Say Wud Be LIke N Appple Becuz They Are Bruised Easily N Go BAd Quickly

When you said that the game

15OCHOAS's picture
Submitted by 15OCHOAS on Sun, 2010-02-28 16:07.

When you said that the game ayiti was fun and hard it reminded me of when i was playing ayiti. I couldn't keep the family alive to the end of the 4th year. But probally after a million tries to win the game i did. i finally won! I focused more on the parents then on the children and ended up winning with 47 goud and with the mother father daughter and yves alive. i was hyped! i had alot of fun.

Love the writing

Submitted by Lucy on Wed, 2014-02-26 18:54.

Dear Amei:

I was excited to read your post, "Ayiti and Maplestory," because it brought me back to a time when I was younger and enjoyed playing the game Maplestory a lot. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "If Maplestory was a magazine article, it would be about different types of monsters or animals." I think this is a very interesting sentence because the comparison would really help those who do not know what Maplestory is to understand the game better and it’s interesting because you compared a game to a magazine. Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time when I was little I used to play that game Maplestory it was really fun and exciting experience to be able to interact with people all in different parts of the USA. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because your writing really interests me and is something that I find that I can relate to.

Love the writing

19zhangl's picture
Submitted by 19zhangl on Wed, 2014-02-26 18:55.

Dear Amei: