BARACK OBAMA: Changing The World √ YES WE CAN!

"Our journey has never been one of shortcuts or settling for less. It has not been the path for the faint-hearted — for those who prefer leisure over work, or seek only the pleasures of riches and fame. Rather, it has been the risk-takers, the doers, the makers of things — some celebrated but more often men and women obscure in their labor, who have carried us up the long, rugged path towards prosperity and freedom." -Barack Obama's inauguration speech

These few lines from Obama's speech make me think about the future of America. By looking back to the past, Obama points out that it was never easy for America to resolve great difficulties. He tells how many struggled because they wanted freedom along with a better life for themselves. He shows how many of us in the past had to fight past hardships but in the end came out victorious and successful. Many Americans had worked so hard and in the end solutions were found for all problems . This just shows us that even with all of numerous problems that we will have to overcome in the near future, we are united as one country, and together as the United States Of America, we will conquer them! 

This also shows me that if we got past horrible things like slavery, wars, segregation, and many other problems, then we should be able to fix the economy and correct everything else that has collapsed or gone wrong in the last few years. But also people shouldn't just think that everything will end up fine all by itself. There will have to be hard times before we get everything back to the peaceful way it was. So everyone should be prepared to work extra hard or pay a little more, but in the end the wrongs will be righted and America will be a place of plenty like it once was. 

What does "hard work" look like?

Submitted by mbrownstone on Sat, 2009-01-24 07:21.

Olivia, when you reflected on Obama's speech you said: "So everyone should be prepared to work extra hard or pay a little more, but in the end the wrongs will be righted and America will be a place of plenty like it once was." I wonder what it looks like when a 7th grader works extra hard to help America. What part do you play in making America a better place for all people? In otherwords, what do you see middle school and high school students doing to play a role in improving the condiditons here?

Madeline Brownstone BSGE Teacher

Hard Work For Us!

Submitted by 14wittingo on Thu, 2009-02-05 16:08.

A seventh grader could make a big difference by just trying to be kind and always trying to do the right thing. You also are making a difference by just going to school everyday and learning. If you stay in school and don't misbehave you will get good preparation for future jobs. Also helping clean up and neighborhood or helping a neighbor makes a difference. 

:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~: Olivia, Baccalaureate School for Global Education, Long Island City, NYC, USA

Making a Difference

Submitted by mbrownstone on Fri, 2009-02-06 13:39.

I like the idea that going to school and learning is a way to make a difference in the world. That's an interesting perspective. What kind of learning are you involved in that you think will help you make a difference? Or, what will you need to learn in order to make a difference?

Madeline Brownstone BSGE Teacher