Better Allocation of Course Concentrations

Today, I was thinking about how an old friend once commented on the application of imaginary numbers in math class once. The teacher's response was, “they're kind of cool, and they help you understand some things later on.” Well, having been to later on, I can officially say that being taught about imaginary numbers did not help me, and although plotting complex numbers on an xy-coordinate system is kind of cool, that's a lame explanation for why we are learning something.

I'm glad I learned about imaginary numbers, even though I haven't used them at all after the final exam. This brought about a more disturbing thought. How much of what I have actually learned in high school will be useful to me after the test. I'm not so much concerned about learning useless information, but missing crucial information on key subjects because too much emphasis was placed on some unimportant subject. Dare I mention senior year Morality and Justice?

There is a strong argument in each subject having its own individual worth, but I can't help but think about all the class time in religion I could have used to master calculus, physics, or government, the three subjects I think I will use the most in my adult life.

all the subjects we learn come into use in 1 point or another. take geography for example. some people have no experience in reading bearing and compasses and will never get the experience if there wasnt geography to teach them. as for history, we have the learn about the past, its that simple. learning from what our forefathers did wrong will help us to not make the same mistakes in the future. Source