The BIg Dilemma

I created the Scratch animation The Big Dilemma as my response to a project to create an interactive ethical story. An ethical story is where a character makes the right decision at the end of the story.

My story is about a kid who has the choice to either help the lion that is in need. If he does help he lion, the lion will repay him by going to him whenever he is in trouble, this would be the ethical decision. Since he helped the lion, when he was getting bullied, the lion comes in and scares the bully away. If he doesn’t help the lion, the lion will make sure that he is going to get payback. He will get payback by getting bullied, and then getting trapped or chained to a flag pole.

My story was inspired by an idea I came across while searching the Internet. I was playing this random game on the Internet and for some reason this idea just popped into my head. It was a very random idea, so then i decided to research a little more about kids getting bullied, and then i just started brainstorming more ideas.

I think I was pretty successful in creating my story because i completed all the requirements, except maybe the length of it. I’m pretty sure i had three minutes for each part but i only checked once. I should have checked more times if i had enough minutes for both my endings, even though i am fairly sure i do. I uploaded my project at the deadline, and i made my project not violent at all so all ages can play or watch my story.

Peer Review

Submitted by 16kennedyb on Wed, 2012-01-04 15:08.

The story had a very interesting Ethical Decision. The story had a good flow and everything worked but the dialogue goes by a little fast, and it is hard to read somethings. Other than that it is very good! Good Job!!!! The decision in the beginning was a good way to start off the story. Everything that followed it made sense.

The Big Dilemma Response

16brooksm's picture
Submitted by 16brooksm on Wed, 2012-01-04 21:02.

I liked the funny stick figures you drew and the way you included allot of cool animation.The dialogue is at times confusing because the timing isn't right and sprites speak at the same time or speak too fast. However I was still able to understand the general idea and ethical dilemma of your scratch project. The ethical dilemma in your story is to decide whether to help this lion which is stuck in a net to get out or to leave him there. If you do help the lion you are rewarded by the lion helping you stand up to bullies and being your friend while if you don't you are punished by being bullied. The choices are understandable however the mechanism for making the choice does not entirely work. If you don't type in the answer quick enough for the ethical decision it automatically chooses yes for you which makes it very hard to choose the wrong decision. What if you don't want to help that pestering lion?

The Big Dilemma Response

16yanv's picture
Submitted by 16yanv on Thu, 2012-01-05 19:38.

I liked how random the scene was, because a boy happens to find a lion tied up in a tree. It was funny how the lion talked, and it sort of reminded me of the fable, The Lion and the Mouse by Jerry Pinkney. I noticed that you could have animated the characters realistically, because when you untie the lion, the boy zips diagonally to the tree. The ethical dilemma in your story is to help others in need, and you will be helped in return. I understood the choices and the wrong choices were tempting. The mechanism for making choices was clear.

I enjoyed the humour of this

16lim's picture
Submitted by 16lim on Thu, 2012-01-05 22:15.

I enjoyed the humour of this story because it's not everyday you walk into a forest and find a lion tied to a tree. I was a little confused on how the scenes changed from a forest to an ice cream shop. Were the shop near the forest? Also, I think you could've spent some time on the sprites or imported them from Google Images. The choice wasn't tempting because you never know what to expect from a lion! The mechanism did not affect the decision in any way. It went very smoothly.

Comment

17ohs's picture
Submitted by 17ohs on Sun, 2012-04-29 18:13.

Your story was unusual but enjoyable, and the plot was very intersting. But, I believe that your ethical dilemma was lacking. For example, if the boy didn't help the lion, it is quite obvious what will happen then. Maybe your story should have more suspense.