Biggie and Tupac were the best in their day. Who is the best in ours?

by: PatrickB
Bambu de Pistola By DHiggs1, a Youth Voices pool photographer on Flickr.

What I knew already about the best rappers of all time is that 90% of people who listen to rap says that biggie and tupac is the best rappers to ever rap. Later on in the years everybody was claiming that jay-z was the best rapper of our time.

As I researched on the computer who was the best rappers of all time biggie, tupac, and jay-z would always come up and sometimes eminem. Then i went to YouTube and looked at videos that showed everybody opinions on who is the best rapper and the same names came up again. I also went to a website called ‘the top tens’ and found out information on the rappers.

All the rappers in the top ten list have a lot of respect and made a lot of music, such as Jay Z, one of the wealthiest rappers in the world. According to “The Top Tens” Eminem is being labeled as the best rapper in the world.

However, I believe that Jay-Z is better than eminem and is way more popular. He makes more money than eminem and has sold more records and released a lot of hit songs . Statistics show that “Jay-Z made history besides Eminem and the rest. Jay-Z had the most no. 1 solo albums in history with 11 beating Elvis Presley”. This quote shows facts proving that Jay is more successful.

I agree that it is quite

Submitted by Christopher_Ayers on Sun, 2012-12-02 14:37.

I agree that it is quite difficult to decide who is "good" today. Lil Wayne cannot be in that list, nor can Nicki Minaj. I feel that we don't really have any good rappers today. I personally think that any member of NWA are the greatest rappers ever.

What is it that makes them popular?

Submitted by RKPoppleton on Sun, 2012-12-02 15:31.

I personally cannot stand rap, and many people cannot stand the metal that I listen to (metal and rap are often listed as most hated genres in studies). I have always wondered what makes a genera good, catchy, annoying, or peaceful to an individual. Then even within each genera, there's division among the fans (like this Jay-Z/Eminem disparity that you talk about). I would like to know what the underlying psychological cause of this split is.

I Agree!

Submitted by daileyjack13 on Sun, 2012-12-02 23:47.

PatrickB, I like the topic and I do agree that Jay-Z is better than Eminem. But, I don't think that he is the Best rapper. I believe that Biggie has had more of an impact on the music industry. Plus he has some of the most quotable, and well known songs. That, is not to say that Tupac was a bad rapper. Just in my opinion Biggie is the number one rapper of our time.

Dear Patrick: After reading

Submitted by colmig on Thu, 2013-04-25 08:48.

Dear Patrick:
After reading this article, I agree that Biggie and Tupac were the best during their days. Their songs have more meaning to them than what you would listen to today, such as Lil Wayne, Soulja Boy, Kanye West, etc.
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "However, I believe that Jay-Z is better than eminem and is way more popular. He makes more money than eminem and has sold more records and released a lot of hit songs ." Only because a rapper makes more money and sold more records doesn’t make another rapper better than the other. There are many rappers that make more money than others, but depending in someone’s preferences in music, many opinions are made about who’s better than the other.
“What I knew already about the best rappers of all time is that 90% of people who listen to rap says that biggie and tupac is the best rappers to ever rap,” may not be an accurate statement about the best rappers. If anything, I would like to know where did you get those statistics from. Only because you search for “the best rapper” on YouTube and Google doesn’t mean they are to most people.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because the rapping industry is interesting from different points of views. If anything, the artist may give in 10% or less in making a song, while everyone else around the artist do a bigger part.

First off im sorry for my bad

Submitted by Giovanni on Wed, 2013-05-29 17:25.

First off im sorry for my bad english skills. I was just searching for universitys in America (im from Germany) and came across this website/university. If you listen to Biggies Songs you will notice  that his lyrics didn´t have that much thinking behind it dont get me wrong he was a great lyricist but all he was talking about was money drugs and bitches. Its just the same for Jay-z nowadays. Eminem was great during his Slim Shady period but now his songs are just boring to listen to. In my opinion Tupac is the best Rapper to this date because he talks about stuff that matters (Song Examples: Changes, Panher Power, Ghetto Gospel, Starin at the........ i could go on for ever). He was a Leader and a poet. He wanted his audience to think and use their heads. Speak loudly and do what you have to do. If you listen to his songs you can connect to what he says and you dont even need to come from the ghettos. My favourite 2Pac track is "Shed so many Tears" although I like every single song he made. And you need to consider that tupac made music for a relatively short amount of time and this time he was very successfull just from a bussines viewpoint. Give the song a try ok?

Goodbye

Gio

Awesome Post

roberto.vazquez101's picture
Submitted by roberto.vazquez101 on Thu, 2014-03-20 11:59.

Dear Patrick:
I am pleased by your post, "Biggie and Tupac were the best in their day. Who is the best in ours?”, because not many people know who is the best today. People can argue Kendrick Lamar, Big Sean, Kanye, Jay-Z, 2 Chainz, Rick Ross, Lil Wayne, Chief Keef, and Drake are the best of this time. People tend to forget about Eminem because he is white and because he comes and goes in the music industry.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "Statistics show that “Jay-Z made history besides Eminem.". I think this is somewhat false because Eminem was the very first white rapper in the history of rap.Even though the Beastie Boys and Vanilla Ice experimented it, Eminem made history by being the most successful white rapper. Eminem also made history with his amount of awards won. He has won 245 awards. That is more than Jay-Z’s amount of awards and more than Kanye West, Drake, and Lil Wayne’s awards combined. Eminem has a way better resume than any rapper alive.

Another sentence that I read was: "As I researched on the computer who was the best rappers of all time biggie, tupac, and jay-z would always come up and sometimes eminem." This stood out for me because no one leaves Eminem out of an argument like that because Eminem is just too great to leave and forget.

I don't really agree with you that Jay-Z is the greatest. One reason I say this is because all he raps is money, cars, women, and love. It gets boring. Eminem raps about life, love, having fun, and doesn’t really brag about how rich he is. That just gives people to respect him and his work a lot more. Another reason I disagree with you is because to me I think Jay-Z can not rap very well. Eminem is very lyrical and is just a genius with his rhymes and unbelieveable.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I love to debate about the greatest rapper at different time periods. I would come back and read some more.