Black Disciples

by: davonc

I just read a Wikipedia article: Black Disciples. (2012, November 4). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 17:49, November 5, 2012, from http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Black_Disciples&oldid=521298467

I'm interested in this article because my favorite rapper, Chief Keef is a member in the gang in which the article talks about. I just wanted to learn the original traditions of the gang because the chicago gang life interest me.

One sentence from this article that stands out for me is: “The Black Disciples are part of the alliance of street gangs but are known to engage in violence with other Folk Nation gangs such as the Gangster Disciples.“ I think this is interesting because these gangs originally supposed to be alliances but they strayed away from the original teachings so now they are rivalries.

I'm pretty sure this is true because Chief Keef is not the only young upcoming rapper from chicago. Rapper and rival of chief keef , Lil Jojo is a gangster disciple and they made dis records to each other. But Lil Jojo was recently killed in early october of 2012 & chief keef is being investigated

Another sentence that I read was under Recent History: "Since they follow the original doctrine of David Barksdale they consider themselves the only true Disciples, as all other gangs have created their own literature and strayed from the original teachings." This stood out to me because just like many other gangs that have been active over two decades have strayed away from original teachings and have their own way of doing things.

“The Black Disciples are part of the alliance of street gangs but are known to engage in violence with other Folk Nation gangs such as the Gangster Disciples" I double checked this fact through http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gangster_Disciples which makes me feel pretty sure that this is true.

What I learned from this article is that even though the Black disciples were created in chicago there are members in Other parts of Illinois, Milwaukee, Miami, Minnesota, California, New York, Atlanta, Detroit, Texas, Ohio, and Colorado. Also, I didn't know the originals members engaged in criminal activities such as prostitution, embezzlement, money laundering, and racketeering. Other activities such as gun and drug trafficking, and theft are a giving simply because the fact is a gang and all gangs commit these crimes.