Black Propaganda Vs. White Propaganda

The first article I read focused on how Britain, during 1939-1945, had three arms for fighting: the army, the navy, and the air force. Propaganda was so prevalent that it was considered to be the fourth arm. “Its basic aim was to break the enemy’s morale and ultimately the will to fight and, in so doing, boost the morale of friendly elements under enemy occupation.” Forms of propaganda included rumors (“whispers” or “sibs” in the jargon of wartime), radio, and printed material. Printed material usually consisted of leaflets. The Germans gained support through propaganda by creating a sense of nostalgia, familiarity, and nationalism.

“'black tricks', such as overplaying anti-Allied themes, promoting false optimism, spreading rumours by denial, intentional 'slips', sudden withdrawal of 'bad news', bogus air raid warnings, praise for disliked collaborators, interference in domestic affairs”

Stefanidis, Ioannis D. "The Fourth Arm." History Today 62.9 (2012): 28-34.Academic Search Premier. Web. 9 Dec. 2012.

The second article I read was about a war artist, John Piper, who depicted bombed buildings in his paintings. His art uses a very dark Romantic style of painting.

Spalding, Frances. "Art In Dark Times." History Today 59.9 (2009): 19-22.Academic Search Premier. Web. 9 Dec. 2012.

This is an interesting topic!

Submitted by jkpynes on Mon, 2012-12-10 19:39.

Gabi,
I think the topic you chose is very interesting. We don't often think of artists as playing much part in war times. The propaganda of the Nazis was obviously effective, otherwise there wouldn't have been so much support for Hitler. I look forward to reading more of this topic!

-Julia