Blogging- The New Diary

According the the New York Times, a recent study found that there is therapeutic value for teenagers in blogging.

I keep a blog. In fact, I keep many. Each one with its own purpose, layout, format, and types of followers. For instance, I have one blog entirely dedicated to images, quotes, videos- you name it- that strike my interest. I also have an art focused blog, a pop culture blog, and a personal blog.

At first, I didn't understand why people kept blogs- let alone more than one. I came to the realization that each of these were just a series of easily accessible, visual journals and books. Each one of my blogs allows for comments, both from users of the community and anonymous people who stop by on my blog. What amazes me is that despite the different demographics of users who follow me and the focuses of my blogs, commenters are overwhelmingly supportive- especially on my personal blog where I articulate my anxiety, stress, and frustration. Many of the comments I receive are positive and constructive, offering support.

There are a number of platforms for students to blog, Tumblr, Blogger, and WordPress being the three heavy hitters. Even though I keep blogs, I also have a leather bound journal that I write in every night, its nice to see how you were doing on a particular day, but I find that there is something cool about feeling how you were doing that day, holding it in your hands. And you don't have to blog about your feelings, you can blog about what you like, things that interest you, movies, books, or post images only. That is why I keep a blog (well, blogs), its fun. Do you like to blog? Do you have a blog? What site do you use? Leave a link if you want!

Dear Gabrielle, I myself am

Submitted by sydrich__10 on Wed, 2012-02-01 17:38.

Dear Gabrielle,

I myself am not much of a blogger; I tried once but to no avail. I didn't really understand why people would want to put their personal feelings in such an non personal environment. But, after reading your post I feel somewhat different. I mean all the power to you for keeping a blog, let alone a number of blogs. I can see how they would be therapeutic and am glad that it offers you a way to "articulate your anxiety, stress, and frustration."

Syd

Blogging

Submitted by Chad Sansing on Wed, 2012-02-01 22:27.

Hi, Gabrielle - great to hear from a fellow blogger.

How do you think the visual aspect and possibilities of blogging make it different from keeping a diary?

Best,

C

Blogs are like Creative Writing!

Submitted by 15TanN on Fri, 2012-02-03 17:22.

Dear Gabrielle,

I found it interesting to read your discussion on blogging. While I don't do any blogging besides for youth voices (which may be stressing the definition...), I can understand the positive applications of it, and I follow a few blogs myself. As you had mentioned, this form of an internet diary benefits both the people that eagerly await the updates and those who are producing said updates; the author can express his/her feelings with few restrictions, and the observers can spark conversations that provides a pleasant experience for everyone. In this way, I see blogging as a sort of public creative writing combined with twitter. People are free to express ideas while at the same time providing updates intertwined with whatever they find worthy in their lives. Also, as you had mentioned, the overall reception by those who are willing to read such updates is primarily helpful and good-hearted, resembling the sort of responses from works in a CW class. Unfortunately, there are and will always be people that have nothing better to do than complain and provide irrelevant, negative comments (aptly named trolls) regarding one's internet work. Still, I feel that the good things about blogging far outweigh the bad, so I hope you continue to keep up the "therapeutic" habit.

From,
Nick