This book sucks

by: Tjean

I'm still reading the same book.  I haven't gotten that much further since the last time I posted something on  Youth Voices.  But to me still, it is a very slow moving book.  I'm really bored whenever I read it.  It doesn't really make that much sense.  Yes it may be getting a little better as I go along, but it isn't really captivating.  All it is talking about now is how Okonkwo's son Nwoye has converted faiths when some white men came into their village and started preaching to them.

One part I found interesting was the part that stated, " Your gods are not alive and cannot do you any harm...They are pieces of wood and stone." This part kind of got me a little upset.  Not at the book, but in general.  Because, even though these people didn't believe in what you believed, you shouldn't just go around and insulting peoples culture and their religion.  They may not be Christian, but they had a life before the Europeans came and basically took everything away from them. And that's really not right.

This book is still going  nowhere but I will try and finish it.  I'm going slow because I'm thinking to myslef, what if I get an even more boring book?  I can't even fathom something being even more boring than this book.

I took pleasure in reading

Submitted by SFootman on Tue, 2009-03-17 15:38.

I took pleasure in reading your post, "This book sucks," because you really expressed your feeling on this book. And it was mature of you to give it a chance,but I guess you can enjoy what you detest.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "I'm still reading the same book. I haven't gotten that much further since the last time I posted something on Youth Voices. But to me still, it is a very slow moving book. I'm really bored whenever I read it. It doesn't really make that much sense. Yes it may be getting a little better as I go along, but it isn't really captivating." I think this is kooky because thats the same way i felt when i was reading "Catcher in the Rye". Everyone said it was such a good book but I really found Holden to be blank and illegible.

Another sentence that I took joy in was: "Your gods are not alive and cannot do you any harm...They are pieces of wood and stone." This part kind of got me a little upset. Not at the book, but in general. Because, even though these people didn't believe in what you believed, you shouldn't just go around and insulting peoples culture and their religion. " This stood out for me because I would agree that its not right insulting religion. People will believe in what they want no matter how true or fictional it may be.

Like I said reminds me of something that happened to me when reading Cather in the Rye. I eventually got through it though because there was parts that captured my attention,and made me loyal to the story till the end. But if its not working for you,then maybe you should ask your teacher if you can exchange that book another novel.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I would like to know if the book gets more interesting for you.Or if you gave up all hope :D.