A Brief History of In Vitro Meat

by: pat

In vitro meat became an idea because NASA wanted to find improvements in foods for astronauts in space. This would reduce launch costs for missions and could lengthen the duration of travel time for astronauts. The technique got FDA approval in 1995. These ideas created by NASA has sparked other initiatives in the subject.

" The cost of launching payload to a geostationary Earth orbit, for instance, is around $50,000 per kg. Thus long-term space missions will likely involve some food production in sutu within a settlement or spacecraft....Nasa has led research on a number of bioregenerative food systems." http://www.new-harvest.org/img/files/Invitro.pdf

The idea became patented by Wiete Westerhof of the University of Amsterdam, Willem van Eelen and Willem van Kooten. But John F. Vein processed a patent on tissue- engineered meat for humans. John F. Vein sought to create any day food like chicken, beef, and fish. Another big step in the research of shmeat was the creation of New Harvest, which is a non-profit organization that promotes studies of in vitro meat. New Harvest strives to have cultured meat within a few years. Research of in vitro meat isn't booming, but it is on the rise of becoming a demand in the scientific world.

"In 2001, dermatologist Wiete Westerhof from the University of Amsterdam and businessmen Willem van Eelen and Willem van Kooten announced that they had filed for a worldwide patent on a process to produce in vitro meat. A matrix of collagen is seeded with muscle cells, which are then bathed in a nutritious solution and induced to divide. Jon F. Vein of the United States secured a patent (U.S. Patent 6,835,390  B1) for the production of tissue-engineered meat for human consumption, wherein muscle and fat cells would be grown in an integrated fashion to create food products such as beef, poultry and fish." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_vitro_meat

NASA doesn't want its astronauts on a vegan diet and research has become competitive between scientists. In vitro meat presents pros for several reasons. When I'm making dinner as an adult, maybe in vitro meat could be an option to serve to my family.