The Call of the Wild

by: Kyra M

I recently finished reading Jack London's The Call of the Wild and it left me in a certain state of awe. The book detailed the journey of a dog named Buck from the time he was kidnapped from his home in the Southland to the time he turned completely wild and abandoned all civilization to run with the wolves. Throughout his journey, he was part of a harsh dog sled team where he learned the law of club and fang, struggled for dominance, dealt with ignorant humans, fell in love with a man, and eventually let the wild fire within him take control. I really enjoyed the book, even though it was rather gruesome and rugged at times. The adventure swept me along and set me firmly in Buck's pawprints. The most striking part of London's writing, besides his creativity and talent as a raconteur, was his diction and syntax. The language of the book was precise and descriptive, and even sounded pristinely mellifluous at times. "There is a patience of the wild - dogged, tireless, persistent as life itself - that holds motionless for endless hours the spider in its web, the snake in its coils, the panther in its ambuscade; this patience belongs peculiarly to life when it hunts its living food; and it belonged to Buck as he clung to... the heard in a whirlwind of menace," (p.94) was one such expressive sentence that truly enhanced the writing, providing clear visuals while retaining a sense of mystique and charisma. Overall, The Call of the Wild was an intriguing and entertaining masterpiece of literature that essentially, told a good story.