Can foster children be effected by college life?

I read Michael Winerip's article, "Out of Foster Care, Into College." Here's a NowComment version of this article that we could write notes on together.

When we consider the issue of foster care college students, some might wonder: What is it like being in the college and still being in the foster care system? Michael Winerip magazine article addresses this question because not many people know exactly what happens to foster children after they go to college. also not many people know how foster care can affect a foster child’s future.

Michael Winerip writes “in a society where young men and women live with their parents well into their 20s, foster children learn quickly that they are their own responsibility. to find somewhere to live in 10th grade kaleef starks, now an a student at the university of california, los angeles, but back the (to use his words) a gay effeminate, abused teenager, went to the library, and googled ‘homeless shelters for youth’.

This is basically saying that foster care is not an easy choice for every child who is in the system and that their sacrifices to be in the system shouldn’t make them any different from another person who lives with their parents. in kaleef’s case he had to make a difficult choice and now he is very successful in his school work. he didn’t use foster care as a crutch to help him achieve his goal of graduating college and being something in life.

Michael Winerip also elaborates “ in 2010 study by researchers at the university of chicago, only 6 percent of former foster youths had earned a two-four- year degree by age 24” This is convincing because many foster children end up with a prison rep before they reach the age of 20 and many of those foster kids don’t have a college degree. the idea of someone being in the system and not having that motivation and encouragement to want to be better for one’s well being is questioning. foster children go through much more than any other child, but their reputations have been given a bad taste in a lot of people’s mouths and yet people continue to use them for a check. This might make one wonder what is the system like and how does it change or mold people to become negative and/or positive people in this country?

Another point michael winerip makes in his magazine article is: "california has the largest foster population- about 54,000 of the 400,000 in care nationally- and los angeles, with 18,500 children, has the most among cities, more even than new york, which has 14,00." This is significant because this shows how many children are in foster care in popular cities and states and how they all can be affected by the system.

Some might agree with winerip that helping foster children get through college and out of the system might help prevent them from having police records before they even tur 18. One reason is because foster children don’t have the privileges of other children and they have themselves to depend on, which can be a difficult thing for them because it’s a huge responsibility to take care of one’s self. Another reason some might agree with winerip is that many charity funds are aiding in helping a numerous amount of foster children with the necessities they need to not only live on their own and survive on their own, but to enable them to graduate college.

What this magazine article makes me realize is there are many unprivileged children in the world and so many people who are privileged and those who have nothing have to depend on themselves to survive. For my future research on this topic, I think I will find statistics and information about the foster care system and how foster children are affected by the system.