Cause and affects of PTSD

by: g2jerredb

The reason I chose the videos I did is because they a relevant to my topic. The interview conducted by the news organization Democracy Now with Seymour Hersh was important due to the fact that this man was actually the man who broke the My Lai massacre to the public. He is a credible primary source for that reason. The final battle scene from the movie We Were Soldiers was used because it was a near perfect example of the stress both mentally and physically that is bestowed upon soldiers in combat. The news report that covered the massacre in Afghanistan was used because the probability that the soldier involved most likely suffered from PTSD or post traumatic stress disorder.

The passage about Fossie’s girlfriend was incorporated because when she had first arrived in Vietnam she had a happy go lucky attitude then as she began to go on more and more patrols and see what combat and fighting is actually like she began to become spaced out from reality when she came beck and just stared blankly due to the things that she had seen. The second was used because the hardest thing on soldiers is losing a buddy as Kiowa’s friend had dealt with it changed him causing to change and alter his way of thinking about life and death.

The passages I incorporated from the book Unbroken were used because it explains how PTSD not only affects the soldier but the families of that soldier as well when they return. They act differently and can snap at the smallest things such as a loud noise or something that could be in the road while they drive or a loved one startling them these are all examples of the things that men returning home suffer from that loved ones experience as well.

The songs I chose to use in my video represent the time frame in which the video is based on. The songs also helped support and describe the emotions and actions the soldiers in Vietnam felt and performed. The song by Barry McGuire did the best job of encompassing and really bringing to light all that I was trying to explain and describe about the effects of PTSD and the aftermath the soldiers felt after surviving in a war zone.

The interview I used to support my video was included because it provided more examples and supporting material about the effects PTSD and how it affects one’s mind, how they think and perceive their surroundings and people. This interview is a credible source because Seymour Hersh was the first individual who wrote about the My Lai Massacre, interviewing, in person, Lt William Calley the person in charge of instigating the massacre. Seymour Hersh received details and explanations first hand from someone who was there at the massacre and he recounted what he told to the TV station, Democracy Now.

When I started researching the effects of combat stress I thought it was no big deal and now many people had to deal with it. After reading and learning more about the effects of combat stress I realized that it is a much bigger problem and many people actually do suffer from PTSD and combat stress. I originally choose this topic because of my older brother, Mitch, after I learned he suffered a little bit from PTSD when he returned from his tour in Afghanistan. My personal perspective has changed by heightening my awareness of the mental and physical demands of combat and how they can alter a person in very big ways after prolong exposure to the effects of war and a war zone.