Change: A Basic Pattern in Life, Chapters 13, 14 and 15 of Their Eyes Were Watching God

by: CFlores

Change occurs in everyone's life. Sometimes change comes in different "sizes" and "shapes." For example, a life-changing decision can be to move to a new city or town, to start a whole "new" life. In Their Eyes Were Watching God, Janie does exactly that; she moves to a new place with Tea Cake.

I am loving Their Eyes Were Watching God, by Zora Neal Hurston because the book has dramatically changed since the last discussion post I made on the book. An example of what I mean is on page 138.

Janie's train left too early in the day for the town to witness much, but the few who saw her leave bore plenty witness. They had to give it to her, she sho looked good, but she had no business to do it. It was hard to love a woman that always made you feel so wishful. The train beat on itself and danced on the shiny steel rails mile after mile. Every now and then the engineer would play on his whistle forthe people in the towns he passed by. And the train shuffled on to Jacksonville, and to a whole lot of things she wanted to see and to know.

I think this is dramatic because Janie did as she wished. Given during this time period, women were seen as inferior and incapable of doing as they wished, but Janie proved everyone wrong in town. She even looked very pretty to show off her courage to compliment her beauty. This was a huge step in Janie's life, to leave the town that had many bad memories of the old man who abused her. 

So far, the themes remind me of something important in my life. I think that the time period I was born in is very crucial to future events. I live in a century, where people rely so much in technology, Global Warming is a big issue, obesity wreck havoc, and poverty comes in higher levels. All of these contemporary issues have taught me to become a leader and fight for justice; even if it kills me. There aren't to many people to do this, but one can try their best to do so. I believe that my incentive is gratitude for showing people, a brighter light in life. This is what inspires me.

I am looking forward to reading the rest of this book because it is a very sophisticated book. Many might think that I am crazy for saying this, but Their Eyes Were Watching God is conveying a lot of messages people should pursue to understand because that would be the only way to find a liking in the book. What's probably going to happen next is that Janie and Tea Cake will live great for a while, until something horrible happens.